Author Topic: Any VW mechanics lurking out there?  (Read 7184 times)

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
Any VW mechanics lurking out there?
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »
I haven't been around here much lately. Been an (increasingly) crazy year- Sold 14 bikes, moved to so cal & haven't been able to find work since. However, I always have found some really great people and help from this community.

I have a sort of WTF situation with my 2005.5 MKV VW Jetta. So, I wake up today. Hop in the ride (2005.5 Jetta MKV, 49k) and fire it up. I have no power steering & the red steering wheel brightly displayed on my tach. Prior to today I have had zero issues with the steering at all. Just turned on the car and POOF... gone. It was fine when I parked it at 11pm last night. In addition to the power steering my ESP button has turned to OFF on the button & the slippery car light has now turned on in the speedo. It might also be a coincidence, but a light has also burned out in between these two issues.

I have checked all of the fuses (interior & engine), unhooked the battery & still the mystery remains. Other than an oil change this month I really haven't even driven it that much this Summer /fall. I would say less than 5k since june. It lightly rained down here in san diego, but I have not been through much water. I have no scan tool and since I'm new here I really don't know anyone down here (would have loved to riding with a few people here before I had to sell my 750). Conveniently, the warranty on the car ran out in late October. I'm super strapped for money, so I'm trying to make this situation as doable as possible.

I was planning on driving back to MN from so cal tomorrow, but that obviously isn't happening.

Anyone have any thoughts?

...and yes, I know it's a shot in the dark, but I'm exploring all my options. I've posted this to quite a few vw sites today and thought, hey, why not try here, too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:20:01 pm by mikedialect »
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: Any VW mechanics lurking out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:49 am »
First thing I'd check, and you may already have, is that the power steering fluid hasn't leaked out. 

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the fact that the stability control has automatically turned off could just be because of the loss of power steering. 

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:00 am »
First thing I'd check, and you may already have, is that the power steering fluid hasn't leaked out.  

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the fact that the stability control has automatically turned off could just be because of the loss of power steering.  

Actually, on the MK5 and above the power steering unit is electronic (MK4 and down into the beginning you had a pump and a belt), so there is no fluid reservoir. It's just a bit attached to the Rack & Pinon safely tucked away under the sub frame of the car. Damn new cars and their promise of being better. I have a 70's Dodge van that I've traveled all over the country with that has given me less problems (well, except in the 120 degree heat of a texas summer).

Might I also add that I miss just having to work on 60's & 70's honda's where a volt meter and a decent set of tools could fix damn near anything?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:59:56 am by mikedialect »
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:36:15 am »
Well #$%*.  That's all I got then! 

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:15 am »
Hi Mike, Moto Bunny is good with Vdubs if i remember correctly might be worth a shout  :-\, cheers Mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

derekd

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:12 am »
not easy with out a scan tool.check the harness for the steering rack it runs from the area behind the lf headlamp under the battery and down to the rack.i have seen some rodent damage here also issues with the pin connector in this area i believe it is a 16 pin unit.you will need a way to clear the faults unless it is not a hard fault then possibly you could disconnect the battery but any time you do that there are a number of things to reset and the vehicle would need driven to reset the steering lock positions.check the vortex for additional help and maybe someone in your area with scan equipment  

Offline Glenn Stauffer

• SOHC/4 #3 - Member since 1994
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • The SOHC/4 Owners Group
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:22:16 am »
Is that the Servotronic system?  I'd suspect either a fuse or relay.  If the system failed, which is probably a >$1000 repair, I'd drive it home to Minnesota and go to the dealer where you bought the car and see whether VW will cover any of the costs of the new part since you are so recently off warranty.   If you can't afford the repair, aren't you just back to non-assist steering and no traction control?  Seems to me it should still be perfectly driveable, though you'll just need to be a bit more careful in the ice and snow.  Unless your inspection is coming due, you should be fine until you can afford the repairs.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:55 am »

I've had some VW experience, but that was back with the Air cooled horizonal 4 cylinder that was as simple to work on as these old Hondas, sorry. :-\ They REALLY seem to be High Tech, from what I've heard on here. Good Luck to you Mike, hope you can get that taken care of.  :)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:19:39 am »
+1 on the VW Vortex forums.  I used to be on there when I had my old diesel golf, and those guys were a really great bank of knowledge.  Someone on there probably has the info your looking for, I'd start there.

Good Luck
Travis
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:26:24 am »
As long as the check engine light isn't on, you'll pass inspection no problem...at least in NY anyways lol.

My S10 has the ABS and E-brake light on the dash, but passes every time with flying colors. Maybe California inspection rules are different...

If everything else is working fine i'd just drive it. Oughta be fun in parking lots. My RX7 with no power steering is a handful and that's only 2200 lbs.
1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:20 am »
   A VW with potential electrical problems right after it's off warranty? That happened to my sister's Golf almost like it was timed to happen...one problem after another.

If you are near an Autozone they will plug in a scanner free of charge so that you can get the problem code. They do this knowing there's a good chance you'll buy any part from them you might need...of course you don't have to...right then. ;)

Mike

'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 07:19:40 am »
I'm with Glenn on this one, it's likely a relay that's not energising the steering and I'm with Gordon that it's a chain reaction that the stability control won't enable.

I'd suggest that you download the relay/fuse panel diagram from the vortex and print/sketch it out and keep it in the car, then drive it for a few miles, about ten minutes up the road pull over to a safe spot and check all of your relays for one that seems hotter to the touch than the others, note it's position on the diagram and maybe you'll be lucky enough to find an easy answer.  Dirty relay contacts can be cleaned with fine emery paper or even the strike strip on a book of matches will do.
New VW relays range for $30-$50 so cleaning pitted contacts is a very cost effective solution if necessary.

Best of luck.
Former lifelong VW owner gone Toyota....
-Alan

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
I'm with Glenn on this one, it's likely a relay that's not energising the steering and I'm with Gordon that it's a chain reaction that the stability control won't enable.

I'd suggest that you download the relay/fuse panel diagram from the vortex and print/sketch it out and keep it in the car, then drive it for a few miles, about ten minutes up the road pull over to a safe spot and check all of your relays for one that seems hotter to the touch than the others, note it's position on the diagram and maybe you'll be lucky enough to find an easy answer.  Dirty relay contacts can be cleaned with fine emery paper or even the strike strip on a book of matches will do.
New VW relays range for $30-$50 so cleaning pitted contacts is a very cost effective solution if necessary.

Best of luck.
Former lifelong VW owner gone Toyota....
-Alan

Hey, sorry I've been scouring vwvortex all day and in and out of the garage. I've checked all of the fuses. They are all good. I see where you're going with checking the hot ones, but this guy is really something trying to drive it w/o power steering. I have an old 70's van that has no power steering and that thing seems like a dream compared to this. If it's a crazy electrical problem I don't feel terribly safe driving it.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to add that today I did notice that when I flip the key forward - after I wiggled the connection to the R&P - I hear 6 beeps. I have not started it yet as I have it on stands at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:21:57 pm by mikedialect »
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:13 pm »
   A VW with potential electrical problems right after it's off warranty? That happened to my sister's Golf almost like it was timed to happen...one problem after another.

If you are near an Autozone they will plug in a scanner free of charge so that you can get the problem code. They do this knowing there's a good chance you'll buy any part from them you might need...of course you don't have to...right then. ;)

Mike

Sadly, here in CA (or at least in socal) none of the autozones loan out scanners. I was a bit miffed when I tried to borrow one a few months ago, as in MN they lend them, but I out here they don't do it at any of the major shops. I've put up a few ad's on craigslist for someone with a scanner, but haven't had any real response other than people telling me to check the fluid.
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline syth82

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 cb550f project
former vw tech opinion
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 01:31:25 pm »
Well, I stopped work on VWs before any of the A5 cars started having many problems (BMW now), but based on how it operates and the esp being off, my first guess would be steering angle sensor. Mostly just a guess though. only way you are gonna figure it out will be to take it to a shop with a vag-com or the dealer. no way autozone is gonna get a fault for esp or steering with their code reader. I doubt whatever went wrong is going to cause you any more trouble than the obvious. (no esp no p/s). this close to end of warranty you should be able to get the repair goodwilled at any dealer, if you complain enogh.  ::) ;)
-Luke
-Luke

By trying to make yourself sound intelligent you appear to be #$%*in stupid......

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 01:59:45 pm »
not easy with out a scan tool.check the harness for the steering rack it runs from the area behind the lf headlamp under the battery and down to the rack.i have seen some rodent damage here also issues with the pin connector in this area i believe it is a 16 pin unit.you will need a way to clear the faults unless it is not a hard fault then possibly you could disconnect the battery but any time you do that there are a number of things to reset and the vehicle would need driven to reset the steering lock positions.check the vortex for additional help and maybe someone in your area with scan equipment  

thanks to your tip about where the connector was I do believe I found the problem. Rabbits hate VW's.

Also, the light that went out on that side after this.... the point where I really thought I was losing my head. Well, a rabbit chewed right through that, too. Now, I suppose I'm off to figure out if I can just splice these wires back into the plug. I laughed, ala elmer fudd style, when I saw this. Now, war has been declared on all rabbits for the rest of time. Silly wabbits, I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER NOW!
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:42 pm »

Looks like this one has the chance of having a Happy Ending afterall! 8) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

Looks like this one has the chance of having a Happy Ending afterall! 8) ;)

I sure hope so! :)

I'm just waiting to hear back from anyone who has the service manual to tell me if that is in fact the plug that could have been causing the trouble. I am also still wondering if and how I should go about wiring that plug back to the main line.
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 06:28:40 pm »
Maybe you could find one in a junkyard and cut that connector and it's wires back as far as you can....then splice them into your car...solder and heatshrink all connections.

Great detective work too!

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:56 pm »
Well, I got the plug spliced in & the power steering is back and I do believe that once I get a chance to drive it the Slip Control will come live, too. Just need some proper heat sync & hopefully it should be good to go!

Thanks for everyone's help here! More useful replies than every other forum I posted to. Made me remember this forum rocks!
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 08:31:27 pm »
Now go get yourself some fox urine from a feed store and sprinkle some down inside the engine compartment.  Or just catch a fox and strap him inside the engine bay.  

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 08:34:11 pm »
Now go get yourself some fox urine from a feed store and sprinkle some down inside the engine compartment.  Or just catch a fox and strap him inside the engine bay.  

I shall heed your advice, but I also reserve the right to take this approach:

SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 08:45:32 pm »

Attaboy, Mike! Good to see something going YOUR way! 8) ;)
Member # 1969

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »

Thanks Bill! My cousin was watching for sparks  and said that my face went from cringe to smile when it started. So, that's a bonus!

Now, let's start talking about trading cars, eh? :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »

Thanks Bill! My cousin was watching for sparks  and said that my face went from cringe to smile when it started. So, that's a bonus!

Now, let's start talking about trading cars, eh? :)

That's Cool Mike, good to hear it! 8) 

Ha! Ha! Listen, I wouldn't want you to have to deal with the GTX, it is a REAL Monster! ::) I mean, when she rolls down the road, people take notice! ;D Got a real healthy lope at idle too! ;) I don't know what kind of horse power it makes, but it's running a 440 with: Holley 750, 11 to 1 compression, Purple cam (don't remember the specs right now, got them written down somewhere), Steel crank, Zoom clutch, headers and flowmasters (that's about all I know about the internals), aluminum double core radiator, flex fan and an aluminum underdriven crank pulley. Also Reproduction Magnum 500 wheels (8" front and 10" rear) putting about 12" of tire on the ground at the rear. Seller gave me receipts for about $3K in engine work, so I'm sure the engine is tight. Still has things to be taken care of though. With all that being said AND he put a new gas tank on it, but didn't put in a new gas gauge sending unit?
Don't quite understand that? He also didn't put much effort into the brakes? I'm getting ready to replace the brake system, front AND back. The car has manual steering AND brakes, no power except THE 440! :D Further down the road, I'd like to put in an up to date steering system and a trans with overdrive (probably have to sell some stuff AND scrimp to come close to doing that though. May be just dreaming on ALL of that. For sure, I'd like to do the steering. Been talking with 6pkrunner and he's given me some things to think about, to make it handle better. Be talking to you. ;)   
Member # 1969