Author Topic: Cb750 Primary Drive Cush Rubbers  (Read 18245 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Hot Shot
  • CB400/4, 69 CB750K0, '69 CB250SS, CB350K1 CB500K0
Cb750 Primary Drive Cush Rubbers
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:49:26 am »

Quote from another thread: "Our German Honda CB750 Four Club manufactures just the rubbers and supplies them with new rivets. Their offered on the club shop page.
http://www.cbfourclub.de/ ClubShop, Nachfertigungen; pages only in German. Unfortunately only sold to members because the tooling was financed from the club.

I Replied:

I have some ex-colleagues who have an automotive rubber moulding company and I also have access to extensive engineering facilities. Maybe I will make enquiries about manufacture. (or will the German 'Club' ones ever come up for sale to non-members).
A friend of mine also analyses polymers so he could identify the grade and hardness etc. I would imagine that cutting up a used one and analysing the core would be the best guide. I would imagine it would be similar to the 400/4 cush drive rubbers (which were available as a separate part in 1986!!)

Can anyone provide me with any engineering data for these? Particularly the hardness when new? Compound? So if the German club won't sell outside of their  club, I can enquire regarding re-manufacture and provide for anyone who wants them. Or is there another source already?

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.”

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Cb750 Primary Drive Cush Rubbers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:56:20 am »
M3 racing has them. They call them heavy duty and I never enquired about price though.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:08:00 am »
Looks like M3 charges $150 for these.

http://www.m3racing.com/products/parts.html

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:26:13 am »
Hi,

In the future, the primary rubbers will not be available for non club members, because
the production was paid by member contributions. A good reason to join the club.
They have the same hardness like the stock primary rubbers in new condition and work like a charme
and help with new chains to quit down the engine again (Primary chain rattle).
It does not matter how much power your engine generates.
Harder than stock primary rubbers will not do the job as designated by Honda.
They do not balance the power between the primary chains and will increase
the abrasion of your crankshaft sprockets and primary chains. I have had the harder rubbers in my hands,
IMHO, not recommended for street or race usage.

nippon

Offline AshimotoK0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:42 am »
  :(  I still can't understand why you cannot offer to non members by adding a tooling recovery cost.

I will investigate and see how much I can get them tooled up for, then offer them to everyone.

Are you at least prepared to share the engineering information with us? You must have had this to specify to your supplier.

How much is your Club membership and how much is the kit to members?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:42:31 am by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.”

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:54 am »
A good reason to join the club.

Not possible, the pages are offered only in German and the design of the website does not work at all with online translation tools.

Even if it were possible, I assume that the club charges for membership?

If I ever need to replace these I'll just go to M3 as they are more welcoming to outsiders and interested in the business.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline AshimotoK0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:51:07 am »
But didn't Nippon say that the heavy duty ones are too hard, in his opinion? Or have I got this wrong?

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:00 am »
Nippon said that the rubbers they offer at cbfourclub.de are "the same hardness like the stock primary rubbers in new condition".

He then went on to say that "Harder than stock primary rubbers will not do the job as designated by Honda."

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:45 am »
Hi,

i'm not the club. I'm just a poor member of the club. I was not involved in the reproduction process. I cannot help, sorry.
I'm not responsible for the club policy.
One of the reason why they do not sell them to the puplic is caused by the German tax policy.
The right of association in Germany is a little bit strange and very different to other countries.
And of course, I guess they like to hire new members. Currently almost 1000 members.
The total amount of the kits to get is limited to two or three kits per year and member.
I would like to sell every good product to the public, be sure, but I cannot w/o hurting club laws.
If you need further informations, please contact the club.

I do not say that the harder rubbers are bad. I just wrote in my humble opinion that I
would not use them in my engine.
In my opinion, there was a reason why Honda made them as soft as they are and not hard like stones.
One of the job of primary rubbers is to balance the power between the two single primary chains until
the power to each chain is equal to the other. And of, course, if you use harder ones, and i mean real hard ones,
then they cannot balance the power between the chains anymore as good as softer rubbers. Further, they damp the power to the crankshaft sprockets and primary chains. If they are too hard, the abrasion of the sprocket will increase and the chains get worn (longer) faster. Especially, if you are riding your bike under race conditions. Last, harder rubbers will not eliminate primary chain rattle, they will increase it,....depending of the chain lenght, too. Probably Mark has his reason, why he made them this way as they are. He is a racer.
I drive the softer club rubbers in my tuned K1 engine and they work perfectly. It was one (not the only) reason for me to join the club. I hope, I'm right. They charge you EUR 42.00 a year for the membership with many advantages for being a member.

Did i confuse anybody? You can measure the softeness of everything. And the club did a great job in analyzing
the stock rubbers according to material, chemicals, softness, oil and heat resistance. They are made out of a mold.
The development was expensive.
The hard rubbers look to me like cut off a stack. I had have them in my hands and decided not to use them according to the reasons above.

Again, I do not say that the hard rubbers are bad, i just say they are way too hard for me. Probably others would love to use them. I have a lot of respect to Mark and his engineering skills, and I'm sure he has his own reasons why he made them as they are. Probably to get as much power directly from the crank as possible instead of loosing
power in softer rubbers?

nippon

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:22:38 pm by nippon »

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:25 am »
Good information, Nippon, thanks!

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline AshimotoK0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:34 pm »
Yes thanks for that Nippon. I understand more now.

I would like to set mine up on a torsion rig and measure the torque vs angular deflection into a datalogger. That way I could detemine the softness of the rubbers without de-riveting. Does anyone have an idea about the figures expected. I have three assemblies one K0, one K7 and one F1 There appears to be no discernable angular movement on the K0 but I am unsure of the hardness of the rubber inside. after all they are 40 years old now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:26:41 am by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:04 am »
Started a thread on the Sandcastonly site - maybe they have info to share!!

http://sandcast4363.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=392

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:00 am »
Needs Mark's comment really but when you increase the HP of the engine by 50% or more for the race bikes, the standard rubbers do not cope and there have been instances of them breaking up. Nippon's right that the harder rubbers will transmit more "energy" to the primary chain system and that may appear as noise but it will also manifest itself as more power transferred to the drive train. If you're tuning an engine, is it preferable to have a quiet ride with soggy drive rubbers absorbing energy or is it better to have a bit more noise with the pay off that heavy duty rubbers soak up less energy in torsional twisting? Lots of race modifications are about taking out the sloppiness in OEM engines so that power is transferred through the system with less losses. A consequence of this is often a bit more noise ubt the theory is that is less energy loss to noise than there is in power gain. For example, camchain systems for 350 K4s and 450 Bombers swap out the stock wheels for metal ones.

Let's not forget, if you are tuning your bike to 90+ horsepower, you're not doing what Mr Honda intended anyway!

On the subject of the HD replacements, you can drill out the old rivets on your primary drive and tap the central alloy boss right through. You can countersink the end plates and bolt the whole lot up with loctite and 18mm countersunk M6 bolts. What I'm getting at is that you don't need to rivet them back together, the forces on the bolts are not in the right plane to cause them to loosen imho. Pictures of this I'm sure are in my ultimate engine thread but if not I have the break up and build process in pictures which I can post...M3s HD rubbers are perfect for this job.
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 07:08:53 am »
Here is a picture showing what happens when you do not address the issue of OEM Honda soft rubbers in cush drive. This unit was brand new OEM Honda part. When you allow the cush drive to re-rack and hit those locating pins...the chains INSTANTLY break and go thru top of engine cases. If you are racing a CB/CR type bike and do not remedy this  problem...you will have a bad day.

KOS
Mark@M3Racing
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 07:12:13 am »
Also, on subject of Heavy Duty cush drive kit I sell, we have changed the assembly to delete use of rivets and have gone to counter sunk allen head screws. Works very nice and with use of Loctite...never had a problem.

KOS
Mark@M3Racing

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:06 am »
Hi lordmoonpie and kos,

thanks for the detailed information,
but i think the abrasion of the primary chains and crankshaft sprockets will abrase rapidly.
This is a fact which does not count for race bikes, i guess.
But for street used bikes it is an important fact IHMO.
Btw, all of my racing buddies use the new club primary rubbers in there 100hp (rear wheel) bikes w/o any problems
for many seasons. I think it is a difference if you are using a 40 year old NOS primary rubber or a brand new made
primary rubber.

nippon
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:55:22 am by nippon »

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56:00 am »
There is a bit of a difference in hot street riding and full on Classic GP racing, Besides having 91-100 RWHP on our different CR750s (762CC) that we raced fro 1997-2003 we had World Superbike rubber compound tires on the machines. There was no much give between tire and road surface, thus we broke a lot of parts competing at this level of competition. In actual operating conditions on street or racing conditions you DO NOT want to have the two cush drive sprockets moving independently. If fact, RC Engineering used to weld these two sprockets together, so that chains would tension at the same rate. Rex Wolfden from Australia did most of this research on the hard rubber drives... as he had vast experience with chains, cush drives shearing and teeth wearing off sprockets in his 1200cc Alcohol powered CB750 racers at 120 RWHP.

As shown in the picture I recently posted...the soft new rubbers are still in tact inside the cush drive and they have allowed the sprockets to re-rack over and touch the pins. This breaks the chains as soon as this happens.  IMHO...harder cushions work on any bike street or racing.

KOS

Offline AshimotoK0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 08:58:09 am »
So back to the start again - how do I get new softer 'OEM - style cush rubbers " I won't be tearing about on the bike just using the bike on 'fun days' Boring I know!!!

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 01:29:19 pm »
Hi lordmoonpie and kos,

thanks for the detailed information,
but i think the abrasion of the primary chains and crankshaft sprockets will abrase rapidly.
This is a fact which does not count for race bikes, i guess.
But for street used bikes it is an important fact IHMO.
Btw, all of my racing buddies use the new club primary rubbers in there 100hp (rear wheel) bikes w/o any problems
for many seasons. I think it is a difference if you are using a 40 year old NOS primary rubber or a brand new made
primary rubber.

nippon
I think there's another point here though - if you know you can use softer rubbers and get away with it, why not spend a little more and get the HD rubbers and KNOW you'll be safe. It's like helmets, sure you can buy a $50 helmet and it's legal but personally I'd rather have my head in the best possible protection and I source my bike parts with the same philosophy. The best is the best for a reason...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »
Of course, I spent more money for the harder primary rubbers in order to see them in person in comparision with the other rubbers. First, I wanted to use them.
Then I decided not to use them in my engine (please see reasons above).  Please do not misunderstand, it does not matter how much the different rubbers cost.
According to your helmet example. I'd rather like to protect my engine components instead of replacing them several times during a race/street season. It is not about the price. I would not throw away my helmet after every ride, too. (IHMO, the molded primary rubbers are a much more better engineerd  and developed (and a more expensive) part). But the club rubbers are subzidized to the members, so they are cheaper than the the harder ones.
I know, that you didn't have a chance to see them in person w/o being a member.
I measured both types of rubbers, the difference between the harder rubbers and the softer club rubbers is approximate 12% (shore).  It sounds not that much, but it is a huge difference. We do not talk about chewing gum. From my point of view, the soft rubbers are hard enough to do the balancing and damping job very well (see above) , even in tuned engines and they protect the abrasion of the involved primary drive components (chain and crank sprocket). This is an important point for me and all non professional racers, too. I'd rather would like to replace worn primary rubbers instead of a crank (but this is not the case until yet. they are perfect.). I never heard a negeative feedback from my classic race (not GP) buddies about the 'softer' primary rubbers and they use them all for years. Of course, there is big difference. If I would ride my bike only a quarter mile like R.C. did, ...with welded primary sprockets and replacing them after every run, or if I want to ride my bike for a whole race or street season w/o replacing primary chains and cranks.
There is the difference.
Mark, i know, you are a serious racer and your are hunting for the max power w/o any compromises, but how many times do you or your mechanics disassemble your engine during a race season in order to replace the primary chains and crank?  Woud a 'normal' rider do that? Mark, how long will your involved primary drive train components last? Your primary chains and sprockets are worn much more faster with much more harder primary rubbers. You know, if the chains are too long, they want to climb over the crankshaft sprokets, especially during alternation of loads and deceleration. Softer rubbers will almost avoid this or they will delay it under race conditions because they protect the chain and crank sprockets much more better. Until yet, i did not read anything about the durability of your primary drive train components.
It is a logical process, harder rubbers will abrase your primary drive train components much more faster than softer primary rubbers. Why did so many guys try to convert the primary drive train into an automatic crank and Hi-Vo chain? And, i repeat, harder rubbers cannot balance the power between the independent primary chains until they receive the equal power from the crank. E.g., with a Hi-Vo chain and automatic crankshaft, you do not need primary (soft) rubbers to balance the chains, but with two independent and poorly made RK stock chains, there is a need to balance the power of the chains until the two single chains receive the equal power from the crank. This is one of the primary goal of the primary rubbers in my opinion.
In case of the poorly made stock RK chains, one of the independend chains will receive more power during the beginning of acceleration and deceleration. The rubbers will balance them.
Mark, you wrote:
"In actual operating conditions on street or racing conditions you DO NOT want to have the two cush drive sprockets moving independently."
Of course i want to have softer primary rubbers and a little movement of the sprockets in comparison with the harder ones, in case i do not have an automatic Hi-Vo cahin. With the given (two single chains) circumstances, we have to live with, what Honda gave us. In fact, two primary chains and two crankshaft sprockets.
I think, we speak about two different things. I speak about durability and a very good solution according to protect the primary drive train components and to quiten down the primary chain rattle to a like new condition with chains in good shape.
You speak about max. power w/o durability.
A serious question, would you remove the rear wheel rubbers inside the hub, too in order to get more power to the rear wheel from the drive chain?
From my point of view, with all efforts you are going to eleminate the function of the primary rubbers, you will increase
the abrasion of all primary drive train components. It does not matter if you have a stock or a heavily tuned engine.
It is just a question of time. But i understand that this is not important or the primary goal for a serious racer like you and your team are.
You need as much power as you can get.

Back to AshimotoK0, currently, The only chance to get the club made primary rubbers is to join the club.
They are reproducing much more parts like oil pump rubbers and springs, ignition springs and so on.
I think (not sure) the current price for a kit of primary rubbers with rivets is Eur 65.00 - Eur 70.00. Not too bad IHMO.
Then you could have your sample and you could start reproducing them,.......but calculate with a minimum of EUR 2000.00 to make your molds, material analysis and production.
I really do not want o make a club probaganda, that is not my style and my intention, I just want to explain the current situation. And honestly, I wish to have more skills in the english language to be able to write more detailed in order to avoid any misunderstandings.

nippon

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:04:17 am by nippon »

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 07:44:54 pm »
Sadly, those of us who do not speak German cannot even read the site much less join the club, as I said the site's design does not work well with online translators.  Also the 42 euro fee is a bit much when one probably only needs a few parts.  It's a shame really because I'm sure they'd sell a lot of parts if they made them available to the general public but I understand if local laws make this impractical.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »
Why don't you fella's lay off of Thomas. He has his opinion and it must take him far to much time to respond in English. Leave it alone.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »
I'm not trying to harp on anyone, hope it doesn't seem that way.

mystic_1
- John Augustus Shedd

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »
I'm not trying to harp on anyone, hope it doesn't seem that way.

mystic_1
Nippon certainly doesn't need me to make his point and I'm all about questioning approaches to problems. My point is Nippon has his and Mark has his.....that's it. I'll be honest..... I am curious about Marks' choice for rear wheel hub dampers. ???
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:41 pm »
Just run 30W oil of wintogreen instead of valvoline, that ought to soften em up a bit. ;D :o ::)
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.