Author Topic: Checking Dyna S timing (static and dynamic)  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
Checking Dyna S timing (static and dynamic)
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:42 am »
Hey guys I need a little help here.  I'm working on a bike for someone (who got bike fever and jumped a bit quick), I'm trying to straighten out a few things for him.  First I replaced the dead battery, and got it running again, then I attempted to check static timing of the dynS.  Static timing lit up the bulb at the F mark for both pick ups, which according to what I've read isn't right.  I haven't had a chance to put a timing light to it yet.

So my question or questions are these

If i use the static method do I have to manually use a finger to pull the weights open to full advance and check timing then?  I'm having a bit of confusion with the directions.

If I use the timing light what mark should I see in the timing hole at idle?  And also what mark at 2500 RPM?  and what is the proper method for timing with a timing light?

I did some reading here last night, but I'm still a bit confused, I like things simple just gimme my points and condensers. :D

As always thanks for the help guys!!

Travis
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
Re: Checking Dyna S timing (static and dynamic)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:51:03 am »
Do it statically.  Set the advnacer unit to to full advance mark about 1/2" to the right of the 'T'F Mark. Then twist the black rotor that opens the springs to full advance.  With the test lite on the 1/4 coil move the entire advance unit (make sure the 3 screws that hold it in place are loose) until the test light lights up.  Then semi tighten the screws.  Repeat for the 2/3 coil.  When they both line up tighten down the screws and you're done.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »
Bumping this back to the top.  Hoping to get some more tips on this ignition.
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline heatvision

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:06:15 pm »
When I installed my dyna-s I followed some simple advice from another forum member, kos:

One thing I have noticed about this and many other forums. Everyone "over thinks" every problem all the time.

Dyna S

Make sure battery is charged, Install rotor on GOOD advancer. ie: must be free to move (advance) and springs must be strong enough to snap back.

Take the plug out of #4 cylinder head location and lay on top cover. Turn on ignition switch rotate engine clockwise until you see spark at tip of number 4 plug. STOP there!

Now, look at marks through the hole on timing plate and see where you are as far as aligning with "F" mark with indicator on engine block.

Keep repeating until you have spark at "F" mark.

YOUR done!

Go ahead and try this...and I will guarantee your bike will run perfectly.

WE won Daytona 7 times and 5 National Championships with a a Dyna S and I have never used a timing light!

Don't try and over engineer these things. WASTE OF TIME (me sorry...no pun indended!)

KOS

PS: if your are not running some awfully high compression ratio, like over 11/ to 1 and are on special fuel or something this will be the ticket.

I didn't even read the instructions with the dyna-s (probably should have though!), although I did check the dynamic timing with a strobe after installation and everything was perfect. My bike runs a lot better than with the old gerex electronic ignition it had before.

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:18:43 am »
I guess I should have mentioned that this ignition is on a kick only bike.  I've had it running before (after quite a bit of kicking), now I can't get it to start for the life of me.  All I do is kick and kick and kick, not even a sputter.  I just put in a new battery (has good voltage), and checked static timing both lined up with the F mark without me turning manually turning it to full advance.  Do I need to turn the weights out by hand and check again?  I just want to get this bike running again, is this a good ignition for a kick only bike? or should this guy go back to points?

So if I read correctly static timing should be at the F mark, with the advance weights in? :o
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:27:24 am by Trav-i »
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:31 am »
Springs open at the full advance mark, not the F mark
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:42:07 am »
Right I know about the advance mechanism.  The problem I have is that it ran fine on Thursday, now I get nothing from it not even a sputter. >:(  Plus it's kick only so I can only got at it for so long.  Static check again shows the light coming on at the F marks engine NOT running.  Is that OK?
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:47:38 am »
It should run in that position, but is not correct.  Maybe you have a bad kill switch, or ignition switch? Does it have gas? sometimes its something totally coincidental and stupid.

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s