Author Topic: CR750 replica for the street  (Read 69211 times)

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
CR750 replica for the street
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:39:53 am »
Hello all,
I've been lurking here on the edge of the community for a couple of years, reading and trying to absorb info, but never entering the conversation until now. I had always been a fan of the early CB750 - OK, more than a fan, I was in love, but that's another story for another day - but during the 90's I started reading about the CR750 and decided it was one of the coolest things I ever saw. I collected articles and pictures, and bought the Tamiya 1/6 scale model of the bike. At some point I decided I would eventually build one for myself, and make it so it could be ridden on the street. In about 2005 I came upon a shop called Garage Company here in Los Angeles, and in the window was an actual CR750. Yoshi, the owner, was kind enough to let me take about a million pictures and actually sit on the bike. Well, that was like a drug dealer letting someone have a free heroin sample. I started looking up the various businesses that made CR replica parts, making parts lists and drawings, and thinking of ways to raise the money for my project. The first thing I did - in 2007 - was to sell my excellent condition stock original '75 CB750, thinking that would give me a good start in the funding department. Hah! I had no idea. As it turns out, the sale of the CB covered the purchase, shipping, and installation of the exhaust system.

In forty-two years of riding motorcycles, going to motorcycle shows, and hanging around at places like The Rock Store, I've only seen one CR750 in person, and it was Yoshi's. And it was strictly a race bike. I've seen custom bikes on the street that had one or two elements of the CR, like the bum-stop solo seat or the big gas tank, but I had a very specific picture of what I wanted. My concept for the bike was this: Imagine that a Honda executive calls up the race shop and says "I want you to build me a road-going replica of the CR750 that Dick Mann rode to victory at Daytona, but do it in our classic racing paint scheme. Use high performance parts wherever possible. Make a custom wiring harness, use stainless nuts and bolts, trim off all the unnecessary brackets, add alloy rims and a second disc brake, and blueprint the engine. But make it civilized like a street bike. Keep the electric starter and the side stand. Use a cam and carburetors that will boost the midrange but still allow the bike to idle at a stop light. Integrate a headlight, taillight, and some nice horns. Finish it to a very high level. And throw in some neat little custom touches, so when people come in for a closer look they'll find nice details. And build just one."

For my donor bike, I bought a mildly customized '73 CB750 from a buddy, and proceeded to strip it down to a rolling chassis with engine. I cut off the hangers for the passenger pegs, oil tank, seat, chain guard, air box, and everything else that held the stock parts, and started ordering new parts. Here's a partial list:
29mm Keihin CR carbs from CycleX
Aluminum CR gas tank and oil tank from Meadspeed
Rearset mounts from M3 Racing
Fork tubes from Frank's
Clip-ons, velocity stacks, and mirrors from Disco Volante
Wiseco 836 kit, Barnett clutch, Dyna ignition and coils, stainless valves, KW valve springs, heavy-duty cylinder studs, cam chain, primary chains, guides, tensioners, and Webcam cam from Dynoman
Four-into-four exhaust system from our own Lord Moonpie
CR fairing, seat, and fender from Air Tech
18-inch aluminum rims and stainless spokes from Buchanan's

I guess it's too late to say "to make a long story short", but I should move on to the present day. I don't know how to weld and fabricate parts, so I've had to struggle to afford having the bike worked on by a couple of very talented people. After a long time in the shop, the bike is back with me for the next phase. I have to disassemble it, rebuild the motor, make a wiring harness, make a tail light, have the frame powder coated, switch out all the nuts and bolts, paint the body parts, and put it all back together again. In the meantime, I've taken some pictures, and if I can figure out how to upload them, I'd like to show them here.

Thanks for listening,
Vincent

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
  • Roll on spring - the rain gets warmer then...
Re: CR750 replica for the street
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:57:06 am »
I couldn't work out how to upload pics but basicaly resize then to web size (sort of 60kb ish) and then use the 'attachments and other options' button at the bottom of the text window, that wil give you a 'browse' button to (surprise surprise) browse and attach a pic. Please let us see some! I want to CR750-ise my Foale frame so all help possible required!
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:41:57 pm »
Sweet project!! Looking forward to seeing progress and photos!

One thought, make sure you install the oil cooler ducts. These things run hot on the street with a full fairing.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:21:53 pm »
Vincent,

You're an inspiration. I finished rebuilding my CB400F and have been obsessing over the CR750 ever since. I've been mentally building it in my head for the past year. I even started a build thread in the HiPo section just to catalog my thoughts and work required. I too plan to build a 'streetable CR750'.

Also like you, I have little welding experience and would require a good shop to do most of it. I'd be very interested to see a list of your frame modifications. Specifically head stem changes, swingarm shortening, gusseting, fairing mounts etc. I was sent this link to this RC172 project this morning that was very helpful in organizing all the work require for a vintage racer, perhaps you have a similar list?

Did you see Kevin of TTR400 is building a CR750 too? It looks fantastic. What are your plans for the fork lowers and the rear brake? Sorry for all the questions!

You're in LA? I've just moved to an apartment in downtown LA from Australia. I had never heard of Garage Company and will obviously have to check it out. I will probably faint if I saw a CR750 in real life!

As for getting photos on the forum, I think the easiest thing would be to start a Flickr account, upload images to that, then copy and paste the embed code to your posts. Easy to do, lot's of support documentation on the Flickr website.

If you ever need help lifting an engine into a frame or an extra set of hands, I'd love to come check out your project.

Whatever happens, take plenty of photos and post as much information here as you can, I'm hanging on every word!

Rick.

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:05 am »

I put a bunch of photos up on Flickr, but when I try to post the link, I get a message that says "Sorry, you are not allowed to post external links." But I see that other people post links to photobucket, ebay, and various businesses. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:33:41 pm »

I put a bunch of photos up on Flickr, but when I try to post the link, I get a message that says "Sorry, you are not allowed to post external links." But I see that other people post links to photobucket, ebay, and various businesses. What am I doing wrong?
If my memory serves me right, you have to post more than two times to be allowed to post external links. Maybe five or ten posts?

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »
Vincent, post a couple of fluff posts and you should be able to start posting pics.

We love pics....    ;D
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »

Well, gee, I guess this is a fluff post to help get me to the magic number so I can post a link. Should I be singing a song? Talking about my daughters? Talking about how my wife actually placed the winning bid in the last five seconds on ebay for a '77 GL1000 because I was on an airplane while the auction was ending? How cool is that?

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »
Well I might as well help you with your fluff posts then. The GL1000... You planning on taking the front end of that for this build? I've heard of guys using the forks from those for CR750 builds.

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »
Thanks, Rick, and thanks for your offer of helping hands. I might just take you up on that.

The GL front end is definitely an improvement (bigger tubes, calipers behind the forks) but no, I'm going to keep the 750 front end. If I were planning on racing the bike, I'd use the GL forks, and I'd also drill the rotors. But since it's purely a street bike, I'll forgo those benefits and stick with the look of the original CR. As for the rear brake, you can get a really nice reproduction of the big twin-leading-shoe brake that Honda used, but it costs $3500, so I'm going with the stock CB unit, converted to cable actuation and vented. You can see pics of that once we're done with the fluff posts and you can link to my Flickr page. And speaking of Flickr, I've tried arranging the order of the photos by dragging and dropping in the photo tray, but when I move a picture that way, it just pops back to its original spot. I know this isn't  a forum for lame computer users, but do you have any tips on doing this?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 06:03:19 pm »
I use photobucket and just copy and paste in the "IMG code" into the post....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »
Subscribed........................in case you haven't ............take a look at the TON of info on the High Performance page..............
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
Before you paint the Airtech tank you may want to have it lined..........fiberglass and modern fuel DOES mix.........into goo!
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »
The gas and oil tanks are aluminum, from Meadspeed in England. Only the fairing, seat, and fender are from Air Tech. Initially I was going to get the gas tank from them, but I read lots of stuff about the reaction with modern gas, and I didn't want to be worrying about that. Besides, the fiberglass one was about $500, and the aluminum one was about $750. I thought that was a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind.

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »

Rick,   

It's definitely worth a trip to Garage Company. The place is near LAX, and it's kind of a fantasyland for people who like motorcycles. Lots of bikes, parts, books, T-shirts, helmets, and always some interesting projects being worked on. But you won't find the CR750. Unfortunately, Yoshi restored it and then sold it. You can see some pictures of it on the website. Click on BIKES and then click on YOSHI'S MUSEUM, and you'll find the CR. I put a picture of it from a swap meet and show up on Flickr, so you can see that probably tomorrow.

Vincent

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »
Excellent.....
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:06 pm »
Vincent,

Mate, I would love to come check out your bike so do give me a yell if you need a hand.

I checked out Yoshi's bike. I found it interesting how the rear drum looks a lot less 'finished' on his than the M3 Racing repo looks. Could just be the angle, could be that I don't yet know the differences between the factory and works CR kit bikes and parts. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to seeing how you tackle all these issues.

Photos?!

Rick.

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »

OK, I give up. I uploaded a bunch of pictures to Flickr, and they automatically get presented in the order they were taken - but last to first! I tried to put them in order, but now they're completely jumbled  But I really want to show you folks the bike, so I guess you have to put up with a poorly organized presentation. I'm sorry, I know it's a pain in the butt.

Rick B, I've now read your entire CB400F build thread, and I'm overwhelmed. It was like reading a novel. The hopes and dreams, the setbacks, the learning, the overcoming obstacles. I have to say, at first I thought you were kind of crazy. You know, like "Why is he going through all of this instead of just getting a different bike?" But the more I read, the more impressed I was with your determination to see your vision fulfilled. I'm sure you had some dark days, but you just kept at it until you learned about every single part in your motorcycle. You made financial decisions, mechanical decisions, and aesthetic decisions, and came up with a piece of work that is totally original and totally yours. I tip my helmet to you.

Well, here's the link to my pictures. Thanks for looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22673291@N02/

Vincent

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:56 am »
;D

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 09:15:51 am »

Bluegreen! Tell me how you did that! I'll put them all up here in the right order.

Vincent

Offline HonderCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 09:25:19 am »
Use the image tag which is the second button from the left on the bottom row right above the smileys then paste the URL in between them.

and how dare you chop up that perfectly good donor chopper!!!!  j/k that thing was hideous.  nice work
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:05:02 pm by HonderCB »
-Scott, just a F'er from Illinois-

77' CB750F
81' CB650C - SOLD

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 11:59:10 am »
even easier, scroll over the pic, and a little menu comes up.  Select IMG code and it will auto copy, then paste in the thread an it will magically appear.
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »
1) Go to Flickr

2)Click on image you want (twice, until you get to the black background screen)

3)Click "View All Sizes" (top right hand corner)

4)Click Medium

5)Back-click "view image info"

6)Copy "location" ie:  htp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6236/6324429282_d0c5309f45_b.jpg

7)On SOHC Forum reply click "insert image" paste location in between the  things and voila!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:07:05 pm by Bluegreen »

Offline Cheffish

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 10:19:20 pm »
It looks great already. Definitely subscribed! Good luck and keep us posted. Meaning.....more pictures ;)

Offline Vincent

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:10 pm »

Wow. I think I finally get it. Thank you guys for leading me through the picture-posting process. Here's a picture of my donor bike. It had a straight frame and good engine and transmission, but to ride it, I'd need a buckskin jacket and a helmet with antlers. Uh oh, I hope I haven't alienated anyone.