Author Topic: Problem revving out in 5th  (Read 13529 times)

Offline BIGRUSS58

• The older I get the faster I was
Re: Problem revving out in 5th
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »
I've read most/all of this thread, but may have missed the answer to this question: Has the bike, in its current trim, ever been able to pull redline in 5th gear?

If so, what has changed immediately before the symptom?

hi mate no it has never pulled past 7000 and thats down hill with a tail wind  in any trim ,its had this symptom ever since ive owned it which is about 12 months

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »
I think it's a slow fuel supply..... normally you don't spend much time in 2, 3, and 4 th. gears. Just run up thru' them to get to 5th. and so don't run the fuel levels down far enough to effect acc. in those gears.
 I guess the test would be to hold the bike in, say, 4th. @ 4-5K rpm for some distance and see if the fuel levels/fill rate can keep up.....

it tends to look that way , i will try and find a road that i can do that with out getting booked is the biggest issue , so you want me to see if it slows down or dies eventually in 4th at 4 to 5 k .
i will get back to you
thanks russ

Hinomaru

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:29 pm »
I may have dreamed this up (so be nice), but I think i might have read somewhere on here about a bike that had a similar weird problem.

Because of the position of the overflow tubes,  above a certain speed the pressure of the air flowing up the overflow tubes was causing a back pressure that was preventing the bike from reving past a certain point.  I think all they did was move the tubes a little or something.
Again, be nice  :D

I remember that thread.  ;)

It was forum member: Johnie and his 750 K1 that was struggling to get over 50+ MPH. The problem turned out to be the carb overflow tubes.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68898.0

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 03:48:19 pm »
I may have dreamed this up (so be nice), but I think i might have read somewhere on here about a bike that had a similar weird problem.

Because of the position of the overflow tubes,  above a certain speed the pressure of the air flowing up the overflow tubes was causing a back pressure that was preventing the bike from reving past a certain point.  I think all they did was move the tubes a little or something.
Again, be nice  :D

I remember that thread.  ;)

It was forum member: Johnie and his 750 K1 that was struggling to get over 50+ MPH. The problem turned out to be the carb overflow tubes.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68898.0

checked that one straight away they are facing right way

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 04:02:39 pm »
If it's running out of gas, the plugs should be bleach white when you plug-chop it at 7k in 5th. (Hit the kill switch, pull in the clutch, and coast to a stop.) 

It bears considering that 7,000 rpm's in 5th gear, with stock gearing, is around 105mph.

Take care,
David

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 04:24:56 pm »
If it's running out of gas, the plugs should be bleach white when you plug-chop it at 7k in 5th. (Hit the kill switch, pull in the clutch, and coast to a stop.) 

It bears considering that 7,000 rpm's in 5th gear, with stock gearing, is around 105mph.

at 7000rpm in top gear with standard gearing 18/48 im only doing 82mph
ill go for  anther ride this arvo

thanks russ

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 04:39:16 pm »

thanks russ
Bear with me here, but we need to get on the same page with what is possible and what's not. It's not possible for you to be going 7000 rpms in 5th gear with stock gearing and only be going 82 mph. Either the tach is way off and your going about 5500 rpm and 82 mph. Or your going 7000 rpms and the speedo is way off and your going Dr. D's 105 mph.

In your scenario Russ, one of your instruments is lying to you. And they don't have to be balls on accurate. A little off is OK, you still can't have the scenario you described.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 1080

• Hot Shot
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »
Are these facts right?

Engine will not rev past 7000 rpm in 5th gear, it goes to redline in 4th, 3rd, 2nd, & 1st?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:07 pm »
 If its the clutch, it will never get near topend...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »

thanks russ
Bear with me here, but we need to get on the same page with what is possible and what's not. It's not possible for you to be going 7000 rpms in 5th gear with stock gearing and only be going 82 mph. Either the tach is way off and your going about 5500 rpm and 82 mph. Or your going 7000 rpms and the speedo is way off and your going Dr. D's 105 mph.

In your scenario Russ, one of your instruments is lying to you. And they don't have to be balls on accurate. A little off is OK, you still can't have the scenario you described.

ive found out that there is two different ratios that run your tacho 4.0 to 1 and 6.67 to 1 and i reckon he has  stuffed up and calibrated it to the wrong one ,
that will fix the tacho part and then we can work on the going part
thanks for the input
cheers russ

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »
Hey Russ, welcome! Are the clocks off a different SOHC than a 750?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2012, 09:00:19 pm »
Also, is the airbox a K2 type for sure... look at the parts fiche for your bike and compare.....
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 01:23:32 am »
Also, is the airbox a K2 type for sure... look at the parts fiche for your bike and compare.....

hi mate has the airbox got a part number on it so i can verify correct one

cheers russ

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 01:28:04 am »
Hey Russ, welcome! Are the clocks off a different SOHC than a 750?

i could not honestly tell you i bought a big pile of #$%* and built what you see i thought it was a k2 but turns out it got a k4 engine not that's  a problem just annoying ,they are sohc clocks off a k2 to my knowledge
cheers russ

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 02:40:06 am »
let me ride it.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 02:44:12 am »
it definatley gets a full throttle opening?

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 03:16:52 am »
it definatley gets a full throttle opening?

hi dave i think so , your welcome to go for ride anytime your free

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2012, 03:48:18 am »
ok cool,we can swap bikes if you like,i know some dead straight long roads here on the gold coast for speed tests,,we do one up and down pass all legal and check for cops first,then we have a play drag race then swap bikes,you keen?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:50:33 am by dave500 »

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2012, 04:02:59 am »
ok cool,we can swap bikes if you like,i know some dead straight long roads here on the gold coast for speed tests,,we do one up and down pass all legal and check for cops first,then we have a play drag race then swap bikes,you keen?

yeh mate , i will let you now when

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2012, 04:14:34 am »
sweet,ive been dying to embarrass a 750 with my 550!

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2012, 04:15:30 am »
sweet,ive been dying to embarrass a 750 with my 550!

wouldnt be hard at present

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2012, 04:16:28 am »
im only joking,well have a look at yours and feel it out im sure.

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2012, 04:35:45 am »
im only joking,well have a look at yours and feel it out im sure.

be good to talk to you

cheers russ

Offline BIGRUSS58

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2012, 05:15:29 am »
ill get flamed here,the float height isnt dead critical,,what happens inside the bowl of fuel when your accellerating or cornering or going up or down steep hills and rough roads,,its all over the place inside like a washing machine.

I'm not flaming or insisting that the bowl fuel level is the problem.  I will explain that the fuel must be lifted to the carb throat from the bowl, and the longer the lift the more force is needed to lift it.  Further, the amount of force needed, relates to the volume of fuel that can be lifted.
This is why setting fuel level in the bowls has an optimum fuel metering.

I'd still like to see pics of the spark plugs after a plug chop during the exhibition of the problem.  A lean mixture should show if fuel starvation is the fault.
It could also be fuel tap restriction. Or, fuel line restriction.

One way to tell, is to do a variation of the plug chop, only with the fuel valve.  Get the machine to exhibit negative symptoms, turn off the fuel valve, then hit the kill switch, and pull in the clutch.  Coast to a stop and pull off the fuel bowls to check fill level.  If the fuel level is below the point where the pilot jet tube extends, you've found the problem and can chase down the source.

Which reminds me...
Some pilot jet aftermarket parts distribute a pilot jet physically shorter than what was stock length (28mm O.A.L., I think.)
The bowl fuel level could be low under high power demand situations, and that would surface as a fuel deficiency, even though such a small pilot orifice is providing little mixture augmentation.

The pilot jet tube inlet is normally positioned high in the fuel supply than the main jet.  But, how high is significant.

If the fuel valve needle spring pins are stiffer than stock, the bowl fuel level will be low.  If the pilot jet tube is shorter as well, you have a recipe for fuel starvation under high fuel flow demand situations.
Or, it could be that the the coils are not recharging fast enough to provide reliable spark.  But, then I'd expect sputtering/engine misses near the transition point between running well and a power level plateau limitation.   Spark gaps in high pressures under max load in the engine cylinder do require more spark voltage.  Have the stock coils been tried?
Just an idea...

thanks for your help . i will try all the things you have suggested and get back to you and send some pics of plugs , i have done it but not exactly the way you told me the plug was black on the threads and white on the electrode part and porcilin was light brownish

cheers russ

did what you said , but no pictures ,but  the plugs are a bit wierd
they are grey going on to dull white on the electrode, but the rest of the plug is black , the porcelian is dull white
but  i think i found a big problem no 2 plug is as black as ace of spades so it must be rich as hell on 2  i dont think its spark as no 3 is good
russ

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2012, 06:53:46 am »

thanks russ

Just for reference.

Take care,
David