Author Topic: Headlight on/off switch - lets see em'  (Read 24491 times)

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
Re: Headlight on/off switch - lets see em'
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:27 pm »
Research shows that the original single headlight does very little to help avoid accidents; in fact, when laws were introduced to mandate headlight use, accident rates for motorcycles in some states actually went up!
Further info, however, indicates that two lights on the front of the bike does make a difference; in fact it's why most new bikes come with a dual headlight.

You want to be safe? Stick an extra headlight on front.

Another reason to have the light off when starting the bike is that leaving it on robs the coils of voltage and messes with the starting sequence.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:32:35 pm by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »
Even when it does not help you see, it helps you be seen.

Don't believe it. Research has proven it doesn't make a difference.

I'm no research subject, although I sometimes wish I was, but I find vehicles are much easier to see with headlights on. Yes, in daylight too.

We've had mandatory daytime driving lights in Canada for a long time and to this day I don't understand the reluctance of our American cousins not to make this safety feature standard on all vehicles.

Well, one instance when we can toss global warming aside and burn burn burn burn up the gas and batteries and bulbs and to heck with the planet.  :o

I guess it all comes down to ... if it gins their gander then it's teetotal time.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »
Here's a pic of mine: the bottom switch is the on-off-on headlight, and the upper one is the kill switch.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:48 pm »

Well, one instance when we can toss global warming aside and burn burn burn burn up the gas and batteries and bulbs and to heck with the planet.  :o

I like you're thinking.
Rather than trashing the planet & contributing to global warming and the impending disaster as a result of daytime driving lights, we can forgo the perceived safety benefits, causing more driving related deaths which will reduce global populations and greenhouse gasses. Win, win!
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »
Oops, I think we're getting off topic.
Sorry Branden.

FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »

I like you're thinking.
Rather than trashing the planet & contributing to global warming and the impending disaster as a result of daytime driving lights, we can forgo the perceived safety benefits, causing more driving related deaths which will reduce global populations and greenhouse gasses. Win, win!
;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

Okay, well I did a carb sync with the home made manometer the other day - sure could have used a headlight off switch.

Just when I finally got her with all 4 tubes hanging and no two or one sucking up the others or dropping down, the battery took it's final charge dive.

I hammered on the 6 amp instead of the 1 amp trickle in desperate mode to get done before midnight...

This fascist state is headlight on motorcycle 100% run time or ticket.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 07:38:43 am »
Yup, a headlight switch woulda been nice!

Offline Hannibal Smith

• 3rd Grade Dropout
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 07:46:06 am »
I am wiring up the Kitaco switch from DCC, and will also run a relay.

Most of those aftermarket switches are designed for off-road use, and get away with the small gauge wire because it is only on/off on the headlight, and the wiring is short-

You can get away with skinny wires if they are short, oversimplified, but you get the idea.

My switch will run all the lights, headlight, taillight, and speedo/tac lights, so I am running a relay.

Anyway, do your math, and make sure your switch will support the current.
Follow my build "P38 Racer" in Project section

Offline Magilla

• Expert
  • My bike: 1976 CB750F
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:08 am »
So here is a question for you. Considering you don't need to sync your carbs once a week, if you are worried about draining the battery while syncing, why not remove three screws and pull the plug on the light? 

Don't get me wrong, if you want an on off switch that's fine but it's also not that big of a deal to unplug it once and a while.
1972   Honda CB350
1972   Yamaha 500
1982   Yamaha 650
1988   Harley Sportster 883
1983   HD FXR Shovelhead
2003   HD Heritage Softail
2006   Victory Vegas Jackpot
1980   Honda CB650
1976   Honda CB750K
1982   Honda CB750
1964   Honda CA95
1982   Kawasaki 550
1974   Honda CL360
1975   Suzuki GT550
1981   Honda CB750
1981   Honda CB750
1970   Norton Commando
1972   Yamaha U7E
1970   BMW R50/5
1976   Honda CB750F

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:17 am »
Okay, well I did a carb sync with the home made manometer the other day - sure could have used a headlight off switch.

Is it that difficult to pull the headlight fuse out while doing maintenance operations?

???
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Murdoc

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 09:13:36 am »
Previous owner of my bike JB welded a #$%*ty Radio Shack switch onto the frame, I do not suggest this.  I do like the location, but I'll be changing the switch and mounting it in a better looking way.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 09:14:36 am »

Here's mine...

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;D
+1
one of the nice features of my 350F's controls  ;)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 10:06:49 am »

Is it that difficult to pull the headlight fuse out while doing maintenance operations?

???

Oh boy, you just can't win in this forum. 1st you're a troll, then you're nice to kiss everyone's backside, and what happens, someone else insults you... Thanks, love it.

Unfortunately, on the pile, all the prior spare fuses were burned, and last time I checked, I discovered the end caps loose from the glass on both ends of said fuse. Luckily, I didn't break the connection in the discovery.

So I considered just pulling the headlight and unplugging, but didn't do that.

Let it be known though, that TT has proven the maintenance excuse a freaking FARCE, except of course in my case, a justice I am thoroughly enjoying, believe me.  ;D

I'll also add a reminder: " This fascist state is headlight on motorcycle 100% run time or ticket. "

Now some of you might say that's ridiculous... however, I have seen that ridiculous and more here - in your own driveway or shed, not like the authorities care - after you're done fighting the ticket, you might as well have just charged the **** battery. Of course they are outside their scope and the law, but that often does not stop them.

Good luck to those who forget to turn that bucket light back on.

Oh dear God, someone may be upset again. I cannot seem to get out from under the bridge.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:15:26 am by 750resurrection »

Offline liPPy

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 cb750k
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 10:35:16 am »

???

Oh boy, you just can't win in this forum. 1st you're a troll, then you're nice to kiss everyone's backside, and what happens, someone else insults you... Thanks, love it.

Unfortunately, on the pile, all the prior spare fuses were burned, and last time I checked, I discovered the end caps loose from the glass on both ends of said fuse. Luckily, I didn't break the connection in the discovery.

So I considered just pulling the headlight and unplugging, but didn't do that.

Let it be known though, that TT has proven the maintenance excuse a freaking FARCE, except of course in my case, a justice I am thoroughly enjoying, believe me.  ;D

I'll also add a reminder: " This fascist state is headlight on motorcycle 100% run time or ticket. "

Now some of you might say that's ridiculous... however, I have seen that ridiculous and more here - in your own driveway or shed, not like the authorities care - after you're done fighting the ticket, you might as well have just charged the **** battery. Of course they are outside their scope and the law, but that often does not stop them.

Good luck to those who forget to turn that bucket light back on.

Oh dear God, someone may be upset again. I cannot seem to get out from under the bridge.  ::)

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 11:07:25 am »
Unfortunately, on the pile, all the prior spare fuses were burned, and last time I checked, I discovered the end caps loose from the glass on both ends of said fuse.
A single drop of superglue twixt glass and loose end cap remove that issue.  ;)
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 11:44:32 am »

Well, talk about getting lippy.
Another fine and friendly member no doubt, of course it's all my fault, once again, that certainly is obvious I'm sure to all.

I guess I'll try the superglue on my original equipment fuse and discolor the glass so long as I'm not in trouble for hacking on that original equipment. It's not a gas tank or a frame, but you never know here.
 ( now you can lip off again lippy, or why not someone else join in !  ;D )

I looked in the mirror it does not say EVERLAST on my forehead.  8)

Offline liPPy

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 cb750k
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 01:34:56 pm »

Well, talk about getting lippy.
Another fine and friendly member no doubt, of course it's all my fault, once again, that certainly is obvious I'm sure to all.

I guess I'll try the superglue on my original equipment fuse and discolor the glass so long as I'm not in trouble for hacking on that original equipment. It's not a gas tank or a frame, but you never know here.
 ( now you can lip off again lippy, or why not someone else join in !  ;D )

I looked in the mirror it does not say EVERLAST on my forehead.  8)

Bravo! You managed to go a whole post without making another reference to the "fascist state" in which you seem to think you live ;)

On a serious note, you might consider switching to a blade type fuses. It's a simple enough mod and makes it easy to get replacement fuses should you find yourself in a tight spot.

Do a search and you'll find there are plenty of ways of doing this. I just bought three inline holders and attached them to the body of my existing fuse holder:

// Thread hijack over //

Offline 750resurrection

• Hot Shot
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 01:40:59 pm »
 You're late to the party smarty.

Another smart remark. Do your research.. another fool who doesn't know whom he is talking to. Congratulations.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:43:24 pm by 750resurrection »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
Geez, what happened to my thread. I was just looking for some switch ideas. Can a moderator please close this thread?

Offline percolate

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 08:32:27 pm »
Thread schmed... Ha!

The first part of this thread spurred me into action tonight. (It's bee almost a whole week without some tinkering in the garagey under the halogen lights!) I have headlight and taillight/instrument switches and I quite love them. Aside from their obvious functionality while working on the bike, I rather enjoy flipping the toggles on as part of my 'pre-flight check'.

There's an electronics surplus place pretty close to me and I picked up a couple of switches that would handle the current load for $0.95 each? And cut an aluminum mounting plate and mounted it off the handlebars on the left side. Here they were:

[I can't figure out how to put pics into the middle of a post so please refer to pic no. 1]

When I made the plate I also had a starter switch placed on it. I have since found a nice stock starter switch assembly and need to make a new mounting plate. (Though I do really like having the empty hole there; I hang my glasses from it when helmeting up etc. I will likely make myself something else a little more finished looking to preserve this bit of functionality.) I cut a couple possible patterns out of acrylic with the laser cutter at work and have been meaning to play with them and see which one looks better. So as inspired by this topic I mocked them up on the bike tonight. Here are my two contenders:

[refer to picture 2 & picture 3]

In person I like the round one better but in the picture I prefer the profiled one. I also want to stamp "H" and "T" for head and tail like on the original cause I'm too dumb to remember which switch does what. ;) And they look cool and people, including other enthusiasts, don't know what they stand for so it's mysterious and therefore cool. [googly-eyed smiley oooooo face here] The profiled one may accommodate this more visually comfortably than the round one. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

brandEn, hope this helps and thanks for the impetus to work on this tonight.

Oh, and for the record, when I synched my carbs ABOUT A WEEK AGO, it sure was nice to minimize the current draw while sitting at idle for a spell. [tongue sticking out of mouth smiley face] Just sayin.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:32:55 pm by percolate »
The solution is painfully obvious once you know exactly what the problem is.

1976 CB550F - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=118564.0

Offline percolate

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »
Well it wouldn't let me attach all three pics to the post. Said something about size too large even though I was well below the size limitations. So here's pics 2 and 3. I hope.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:31:37 pm by percolate »
The solution is painfully obvious once you know exactly what the problem is.

1976 CB550F - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=118564.0

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 04:05:52 am »
GREAT idea, thanks for sharing

Offline davis96

• Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:49 am »
You can see my headlight switch in this pic between the tach and oil pressure gauge:

I welded up the bracket that holds the headlight switch last night, it is composed (like much of the bike) of random bits found in boxes I have laying around, namely this washer and unidentified widget:
The headlight, headlight switch, horn button, starter button, and a good portion of the wiring are custom rigged by me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:23:31 am by davis96 »
'74 CB350F - sold
'71 CB500K

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 02:54:26 pm »
anyone use a aftermarket off-on-on. to include their brights..? i have on i can post later, but is a pos. and blows fuses every once in a while.MAtt

they did not put a device across the relay to kill the spark arc... rc using high volt packs have to do this to prevent damage to ESC and from welding contacts/connector.

David- back in the desert SW!