Author Topic: 350f, Bonneville bound.  (Read 46386 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
350f, Bonneville bound.
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:09:25 am »
It's real hard work getting our lurkers to make their first post but this idea almost worked.  ;D ;D ;D

I PMed my new lurker friend (name unknown) in Indi and got this reply........

LOL!  So much for lurking!

I just began my first land speed project, using a cb350f running in m-bg.  Will be using a garrett gt1544 turbo, air/water intercooler, megasquirt 3, rod/piston/mild port/stronger jug/head studs,  with a goal of 100whp.  Will be recording the process and making a documentary after its all done.

bikes nickname is must~dache because im rocking a nasty mustache until i get a landspeed record 

Thanks for an awesome welcome!  made my night 

Now I have broken the ice for you, perhaps you would like to continue. ;) ;) ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline MondayLSR

Re: 350f, Bonneville bound.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:11:58 am »
Well then.....I like this forum already!  No chance to be shy here  :D

My name is Matt Monday, and Im addicted to horsepower.  As said, Im from Indianapolis, and just began the process of building a bonneville bike.  I am 27, and have had the dream to compete there for ~10 years now.  Just so happened that my path took a recent turn towards motorcycles which can be built within the budget I can afford.

My past project that lasted ~6 years was a 97 dodge neon.  It remained 2.0L, and I was able to make 735hp with a t3t67 turbo and a 150 shot.  Ran a best of 10.2@150mph.  It grew beyond my budget though so it was time to move on. 

I also crew for the guys @ 4 piston racing, running their pro all motor honda insight.  team4piston. com check them out...they are doing amazing things in the honda cylinder head business

Just this year I got into motorcycles after purchasing a 72 gt380.  Tore it down the first day I got it home, and had a blast building it.  I will post pictures soon. 

After that was mobile, and with some inspiration from watching the worlds fastest indian (for the 5th time) the current project idea was born.  Since I already knew a fair share about turbos/systems and wanted to stick to a small cc motor so I didnt kill myself.....the cb350 was decided to be my best bet.  After some thinking and searching I decided the 350f would be best, because I could spread the HP out between 2 more rods and more head bolts/jug bolts.  Plus the shell bearings meant high oil psi which will keep the turbo alive without extra oiling system.

Currently i have the bike stripped to wheels/frame/motor.  Going to start with building the turbo kit, then move on to fuel/water tanks, then plumbing, then finally wiring up megasquirt.

Thanks again for a hilarious welcome, Im excited to pick your brains about this awesome little motorcycle!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:42:08 pm by MondayLSR »

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:50 am »
Sounds like an awesome project, good luck!  Please make sure you take LOTS of photos and post them.  Can't wait to see this thing take shape.  Ohh yeah, and welcome  ;)
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:53:06 am »
I want to watch this build!
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:09:31 am »
Thanks again for a hilarious welcome  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

YES Matt, it worked out quite well in getting you to post ::)

Anyway, it looks like you are in good company with 4 piston racing, they do some serious $hit. 8) 8) 8)

Keep it coming.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:18:49 am »
Hello in Indy.........Will we see you at the BUB event in 2013?

I currently compete on the salt with a Triumph Cub, but getting a few parts assembled for a CB750 build to compete in the Modifiied Classic class.

You may want to add to your knowledge base by looking at the www.landracing.com site as well as some very interesting and experienced contributors on this page. Your starting with a 347cc motor so be very careful about piston size.......according to AMA rules, if you exceed 350.000cc you will be in the 500 class with the exception of allowed overbores in the Classic Class. The rules are slightly different for SCTA and FIM and they do not have the Classic class.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:37:42 am by Old Scrambler »
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:39:40 am »
You're  lucky you're not in the UK Dennis, the only classes are capacity and a separate class for street bikes.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06:59 am »
Sam.......I think that has something to do with the location.......as in ISLE ;D ;D

The FIM and SCTA have mild limits on their classes......the AMA keeps adding and attracts more entrants + FEE$$$$

The rules are getting complicated......but the FUN factor remains  8) 8) 8)
Dennis in Wisconsin
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
Old Scrambler---Yes we plan to attend BUB in 2013.  Although, what are the downsides to running a bike at speedweek?  I would guess the track gets beat up, along with longer waiting to make runs?  I honestly wanted to get a SCTA record more than an AMA.  Can you get an SCTA record at the BUB event?  I did stumble across landracing, and have already been reading as much as possible.  I hope to meet you out there next year!  I will have many questions about running on salt, if your willing to part with some knowledge.  ;)  Just say the word and I will shoot you a PM.
      I didnt plan to touch the bore size, because I want to keep all the cylinder wall thickness I can, thanks for the heads up though.

All others, thanks again for the welcome.  Im stoked to be here.  This is a family effort, including my dad Bob, and brothers, David and Stephen also.  It should be a fun experience to share between us.

Now who has some factory cb350f camshaft specs for me?  Im needing advertised duration@valve.  Also, can anyone point me towards information on making this motor stronger (valves/cam chain/chain guides/etc)?  Anyone seen any ARP jug/head/main studs?  Anyone seen an aluminum rod fit inside the case?  Does the cb400f share everything with the cb350f except bore size?  How about a clutch!!?   :D

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »
See these guys.  They make a modified CB750 oil pump for Hi pressure and flow.

http://www.ttr400.com/
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline joesmotos

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »
Howdy.
Couldnt help but reply to this stuff about the BUB Speedtrials.

I'm not the expert by anymeans but have been twice now running the run whatcha brung class..

AMA and FIM are the two organizations whose records you would be shooting for at BUB..of course you will have to get an AMA membership to run for an AMA record..no SCTA records at BUBs.

The new Classic classes are for 500,750 and 1000cc bikes if you chose to go that route,thats AMA only as far as i can tell.
But the regular classes do have records for 350cc bikes.

THis past August it rained out the first day pretty much and they added an extra 1 or two hours per day to the event to attempt to make up for the lost day..the waiting time was longer,between actually getting in the individual lines for you class,then being released to ride down to the staging area to make a pass.

So anytime something happened out on the course every thing came to a halt as they only had one ambulance there(i think) and as long as it was on the course or engaged elsewhere no one could run till it got back to whever those guys hang out.

Im not really sure how or what is entailed when you run for a record as far as impounding the bike to get inspected after making a record run..reckon i will find out next year cause im going to enter the Classic class myself..all i know is,i will have as much stuff as i can possibly carry parts wise and do my best to be as well prepared as possible when i get there...theres not much available in Wendover in terms of bike shops and Slat Lake City isnt exactly down the street..

That all being said,if you do make it out there,when you get into the pits just look for a pirate flag (skull and crossbones) along with a  *Dont tread on me* flag flying over my little EZ Up...purple full fairing CB360 #3315..

I usually carry a fair amount of tools and am willing to lend a hand where necessary,i had people i just met when i was there lending/giving me parts just because theyre cool folks.Friendly atmosphere,everyone wants to see you do well,nothin like it anywhere else i have been.

See ya on the Salt
Joe

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 06:55:55 pm »
Thanks for the info!  As much as I would like to get a SCTA record, from what I have seen/heard, BUB is an amazing event.  Most likely the one I will attend.  Maybe the year after we will come back out and go for the SCTA record.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 02:00:58 pm »
Matt.....pics of my build and BUB experience at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salt-Team-Advanced-Landspeed/222251137821263

I was a spectator in 2009, decided to compete and set a record in 2011, and am now building a new motor and adding partial streamlineing for 2013.  Also sleeving down the original motor for the 175cc. Not very much competition in the small push-rod brands and sizes.

Be sure to digest the rule book and pay attention to the restrictions on leathers, speed-rated tires, and usual safety issues and you should be OK.

The SCTA is the oldest timing group and continues to earn respect. The big difference from the AMA BUB event is waiting for cars......and the SCTA draws a bigger crowd in Wendover so hotel prices are double or higher.  I plan to go to both events in 2014. We are just beginning to plan the CB750 build for the Modified Classic class.......its not the priority for this year.

Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »
Be careful in the 175 class Dennis, you are coming into my domain.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:24 pm »
I do have a book in hand, and will be sure to read up there.  Speaking of tires, Im curious as to what idea on tires work for you out there?  My thought is skinny/narrow contact patch as possible after reading an article linked to landspeed forum, but not sure where to get a tire or how to know the "profile" without it being mounted....

Funny enough, i have already scoped your facebook/pictures.  found you a few months back when I was mostly just day dreaming.  I like the one where he's lifting the bike by hand.  :D

Sam, where can I read up on some of your projects?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:32:31 pm by MondayLSR »

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 03:38:04 am »
I hope you get to set the 350 record on a Monday  ;D ;D ;D
100hp at the rear wheel on a small light bike with minimal frontal area,  mate your gunna have a blast  ;D

What size turbo do you run on a 350 be smaller than my missus hair dryer, seriously love to know out of curiosity as I have only seen them on bigger cc stuff , say smallest I have seen was 500.

When ever someone goes on a new path for speed it adds to the excitement on the forum and I look forward to sharing the journey, Dennis has been a real help for me by sharing his experience and putting in his two bob's worth.    Good luck mate , i'm along for the ride ;) ;) :D
Johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 01:12:14 pm »
Very cool.  I'll be watching closely to see if you can get that 350 to 100hp - that would be quite an accomplishment.

It's also exciting to see someone living their dream. :)
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 07:52:45 pm »
The turbo is about the same size as a coke can...here is a similarly sized turbo for reference. 

Thanks johno for the positive words.  Im really excited for the journey.  The amount of info I have found in the last 3 days on this website has been extremely helpful. 

Im hoping to use some of the footage gathered to highlight the passionate people that help me along the way.  I feel sharing the experience with others, and opening up to allow people to express themselves through this project will be half the enjoyment. 

here is a link to my old neon project log if anyone is interested btw: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=255537
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:56:44 pm by MondayLSR »

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 09:07:19 pm »
That's a cool little turbo, but to me that looks like something that would get you to 60hp, not 100.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline MondayLSR

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »
Yeah, it's pretty wild to think something that small can flow that much cfm. If you think about it though, the compressor inducer is 33.9mm, and at ~25psi, that's a bunch of air. Imagine having a 1.25" air hose at 25psi pointed at your face!   ;D

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 12:07:50 am »
Subscribed !. Looking forward to keeping an eye on this project ;) .
I've always had an interest in LSR , never had a chance to go over to run on the salt though .
Our LSRacing over here in the UK is restricted to standing mile and occasionaly a mile and a quarter  :( Good luck mate . Oh! and welcome ;D ;D

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 11:43:36 am »
Yeah, it's pretty wild to think something that small can flow that much cfm. If you think about it though, the compressor inducer is 33.9mm, and at ~25psi, that's a bunch of air. Imagine having a 1.25" air hose at 25psi pointed at your face!   ;D
I think that the difference is that the application I saw for a similarly sized turbo was a 60hp 250 at only 7-8psi.  If it can be spun enough to make 25psi, then that's a different story altogether.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »
Monday and others........I gather from reading turbo-builder's reports that you have to compensate for the altitude so the effective pressure is about 17-18 lbs.  The smallish pistons in the 350F may be able to handle higher pressures........carry on ;D ;D ;D
Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
Markt

Offline cougar

• Hot Shot
  • Stamping Ground, Kentucky U.S.A.
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »
Ooooh I'm liking  :D where this is goin' ! Subscribed!    ...cougar...
I'm not prejudice, I'll weld anything that pays! Knowledge that is shared is Never Lost!!   Right is right, wrong is wrong! The truth is the truth and a lie is a lie! DEAL WITH IT ACCORDINGLY !!!   I HATE "DIAL-UP"