Author Topic: Tech-tip: kickstarter vs. rearsets  (Read 16862 times)

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
Tech-tip: kickstarter vs. rearsets
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:10:28 am »
Kickstarter blocked by rearsets?

Anyone who is using rearsets on their CB750 has probably come across this problem.

Of course, one can use the startbutton but I for one like to kick it!

I´m running Raask rearsets (cheap and plentiful, but a bit on the crude side...) and could only use ca 90 degrees of the kickstarters stroke. Plus I kept hitting the brakelever, making ugly marks on both pedals....

Saw a pic of a kickpedal from a later model 750 and noticed that both the lever and the attachment block were "curved".

In my mind, that would put the lever further to the right when it´s folded out.... and that would give more space for a longer stroke..... got to try it!

Found a really nice kickpedal on Ebay - cost 3 dollars.

Here´s how it turned out:

- New kickpedal slightly longer by 1/2 inch
 - Fitted straight on
 - Older stock rubber fitted instead of newer thicker rubber
 - In the same position as stock when folded in
 - and a FULL KICKSTARTER STROKE AVAILABLE!

Perhaps this is old news, but I figured I might as well post a tip if it can help someone else  :)

Here´s the pics (crappy cellphone pics tho....)

Cheers
Daniel

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
Re: Tech-tip: kickstarter vs. rearsets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:48 am »
By "Later Model" do you mean a '77/78 K or F?

I would be interested in this mod since I want rearsets with a kicker.

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:23:02 am »
By "Later Model" do you mean a '77/78 K or F?

I would be interested in this mod since I want rearsets with a kicker.

Not 100% sure of what model, but I would guess '77/'78.

78CB750F1

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:21 am »
That's a great tip - I just installed Raask rearsets and was not happy to lose the kickstarter.  Can anyone confirm which model years had the "curved" kickstart?

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:41:49 am »
The part is for the '75-78 750F.  The F models have the curved kickstart knuckle and the K models have the straight knuckle.

This is according to the online fiche.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:43:42 am by GroovieGhoulie »

Offline Rushoid

• Shameless
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:42:17 am »
Mine's a '78 F3 and it looks just like that.
Go Cards!! Go Colts!! Go Bucks!!

SOHC/4 Member #3452

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:47:21 am »
The part is for the '75-78 750F.  The F models have the curved kickstart knuckle and the K models have the straight knuckle.

Do you know why they used different versions of the kickstarter?
Different footpeg-setup I suppose... can anyone confirm?

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:48:50 am »
Thanks for the information. I am running Dunstall rearsets and have lost the use of the kick start also. I use my bike quite often and had a problem with my starter motor which led to me loosing a tooth on the starter motor reduction gear (28101-300-000). Not having the kick start makes me nervous every time I start up now :) as the NOS reduction gear was £38 GBP (about $70 USD). Anyway - thanks for the tip. I'm off to find a F model kickstart ;D

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 12:36:44 pm »
Thanks for the information. I am running Dunstall rearsets and have lost the use of the kick start also. I use my bike quite often and had a problem with my starter motor which led to me loosing a tooth on the starter motor reduction gear (28101-300-000). Not having the kick start makes me nervous every time I start up now :) as the NOS reduction gear was £38 GBP (about $70 USD). Anyway - thanks for the tip. I'm off to find a F model kickstart ;D

Hey Superbiker,

I had a quick look on you Dunstall rearsets. They seem to be positioned a bit further back and lower then the Raask setup.
From your pics it seems that the widest part on your Dunstall setup is situated just outside the "brakearm shaft".

Took a (crappy) pic to help you decide if this will work for you too...

The ruler is pushed against the end of the "brakearm shaft" and the kickstart lever is pushed down against the ruler.

It should give you the info you need for a decision..... :)

Cheers
Daniel

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 12:51:42 pm »
...Also happened to see that your riding an EXUP as well as your 1975 Honda 750.

So am I, though mine is an '89.... and not quite stock.... couldn´t keep my fingers away from it ;D

Just came home from a 4-day trip around Sweden, Finland and Norway. Bloody hard work to hold on to those bars over 150 mph ;D

Here´s a pic from the coast of Norway.... 8)

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 01:34:36 pm »

Do you know why they used different versions of the kickstarter?
Different footpeg-setup I suppose... can anyone confirm?

I think it might be because of the rear disc brake on the F models.  Maybe it was to clear the M/C, M/C mounting bracket and brake pedal?

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 01:41:49 pm »
The ruler is pushed against the end of the "brakearm shaft" and the kickstart lever is pushed down against the ruler.

It should give you the info you need for a decision.....

Hey - thanks Daniel for going to the trouble to take the picture. That looks about right to me. I have already bought one of the dreaded E-Bay! :D
The Dunstall set up works great with the rest of the Dunstall kit. I had Raask on my bike for about 8 months prior to sorting the Dunstall Rearsets. I have attached a picture for you as I mounted mine a little differently. Also I got hold of a later connecting arm from the splined brake pivot shaft so that I could make it adjustbale with 50, 75 and 100mm between pivot centres. Ended up using them on the standard 75mm setting as per your aluminium fitting. Check the picture and you should see what I mean.

...Also happened to see that your riding an EXUP as well as your 1975 Honda 750.

So am I, though mine is an '89.... and not quite stock.... couldn´t keep my fingers away from it

I really like your modified EXUP ;) Mine is a 1990 (3LG) model. It has 45000 miles on it and costs a small fortune in tyres ;D I do love the EXUP though. I allways wanted one of these and have owned mine for 8 years. I have done allot of work on it including new exup valve and bushes, new rear shock, Ohlins front springs with Race Tech cartridge fork emulators, Sprint steering damper, Paulo Tarrozi fork brace etc etc

As this is a SOHC forum I will stop right their! I just love my bikes. Your Cafe Racer is something real special though. It would be great to see the old Dunstall side by side to see how they compare. Just have to do with your great pictures for now.

Peter

RSV12K

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 02:45:46 pm »
I have Raask rearsets on my CB750K7 and the kickstart lever will not clear them. Whether the previous owner installed a different OEM kickstarter from an earlier (before rearsets) model, I don't know...

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 02:51:39 pm »
I have Raask rearsets on my CB750K7 and the kickstart lever will not clear them. Whether the previous owner installed a different OEM kickstarter from an earlier (before rearsets) model, I don't know...

It seems the K models all had the straight kickstart knuckle.  Try and find a kickstarted from a 750F model.  That should fit.

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 03:27:19 pm »
Do you know why they used different versions of the kickstarter?   -DME
Don't the supersport bikes have a large aluminum foot rest bracket?  I know that later ('78ish) ones do.

-fang
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 05:55:08 pm »
Same issue with my 350 scrambler to cafe project. The scrambler kicker hit the low pipes. A CB kicker is a different beast with a curve that rotates out with the rubber. That let's it clear the exaust pipe!
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 05:58:32 pm »
 The 75-78 levers still hit the brake pedal....it just doesn't happen untill close to the end of the stroke. It hits the pad itself.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 11:13:22 pm »
The 75-78 levers still hit the brake pedal....it just doesn't happen untill close to the end of the stroke. It hits the pad itself.

That is correct.
But it happens a lot further down the stroke compared to the stock lever as you can see in the third pic in the original post.

Cheers
Daniel

prsman23@hotmail.c

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 11:23:18 pm »
Where does one find rearsets for a 750 other than Omars and ebay?

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 05:27:41 am »
yeah that lever looks like the one on my 77..... just to be helpfull ;D...peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 06:51:45 am »
Where does one find rearsets for a 750 other than Omars and ebay?

http://www.tarozzipaolo.it/inglese/home.htm

The nicest rearsets I have found to date (other than my vintage Dunstall ones of course;)) come from Paolo Tarozzi in Italy. Check out the link. A good UK distributor can be found at the link below - and they don't cost the earth either!

http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/index.jsp

While you are looking at disco volante moto, take a look at his Honda CR79 race replica - sweet ;D

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 07:36:34 am »
MAN! that CR is stone cold cool!!!
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 08:09:49 am »
MAN! that CR is stone cold cool!!!

Yep.  THAT is the 4-into-4 I want for my Cafe Project.  Four big megas that aren't as stubby and abrupt as the CR pipes.

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 08:37:11 am »
Here is a picture of the Paolo Tarozzi rearsets that fit the CB750 K series. I purchased the Taroozi linkages when I was running Raask rearsets on my own bike and this made the gear linkage side more adjustable for me. You can buy ALL the parts individually. Anyway if you are going for a period look for your foot controls but want top quality engineering at a good price - check out these first:

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 09:40:58 am »
I bought ones for a Buel M2 Cyclone ('02) for my 350 project. Will need a bit of mod work but for $120 complete with brake pedal, What a deal! I also like the fact that they are rubber molded over steel. kind of more natural looking for the bike I think.

When they come in, I'll post pics of them.
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe