Author Topic: Web Cam #41 in a hi-comp 849cc, advantages?  (Read 21573 times)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Re: Web Cam #41 in a hi-comp 849cc, advantages?
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:08 am »
Hotter cam with longer duration that will decrease the dynamic compression if compression is an issue. For me is a hotter cam mandatory when using high CR pistons. Ported head too.  Not doing that now will cost extra in head gaskets if doing it later

The bike will be very nice for general use, city or highway.
No race warning here, pinging engine and need of octane boosters. Just use highest octane from the pump and make sure that the ignition is properly set, idle and over 2500rpm. (Advancer springs must be OK then)

If OEM cam is a must together with bigger bore than 736cc , use the cheap low CR  836cc piston kit.

CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:51 am »
Hotter cam with longer duration that will decrease the dynamic compression if compression is an issue. For me is a hotter cam mandatory when using high CR pistons. Ported head too.  Not doing that now will cost extra in head gaskets if doing it later

No race warning here, pinging engine and need of octane boosters. Just use highest octane from the pump and make sure that the ignition is properly set, idle and over 2500rpm. (Advancer springs must be OK then)

If OEM cam is a must together with bigger bore than 736cc , use the cheap low CR  836cc piston kit.

Yeah but.....Have we determined what he means by high compression?! To me 'high compression' is 12.5:1. Is this kit just a 10.25 or a 10.5:1? If so this really does not qualify as 'high compression' IMO, highER than stock yes but just a slight standard size bump in most of the kits.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 12:14:25 pm »
my DP Kenny Harmon D grind cam'd engine got over 3000 miles put on it before I got disgusted with zero power below 5000 rpm, and min. 1800 RPM idle at best. So it's now about to go back together.
2 brand new 41 cams sitting here (one is a CycleX CX-1), tending more towards the 78' K8 stocker cam advanced 5 deg. now.

The CycleX "Super Flow" valves with the coating were in the head too, with new guides, during those 3000 miles. I looked at a couple of stems/guides/faces/seats, prior to learning of the coating problems. I did not see anything unusual. Of course I will re-inspect now. Will report back. Very disturbing info! I also have a set of brand new CycleX 849 pistons sitting here...  they have a coating too!

It's starting to sound like anything aftermarket is Cr@p!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »
Coatings are a funny thing. Engineers here swear by them. CycleX has been racing with them.

But on principle just doesn't feel right to me. If it can be stuck on to something, it can come unstuck. Unless there is a chemical change that bonds the coating to the metal beneath.  Even then I don't like it.

YEt many swear by it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 12:58:05 pm »

Yeah but.....Have we determined what he means by high compression?! To me 'high compression' is 12.5:1. Is this kit just a 10.25 or a 10.5:1? If so this really does not qualify as 'high compression' IMO, highER than stock yes but just a slight standard size bump in most of the kits.

I completely agree with you about CR!  ;) 
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Nic

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 01:35:34 pm »
The CycleX "Super Flow" valves with the coating were in the head too, with new guides, during those 3000 miles. I looked at a couple of stems/guides/faces/seats, prior to learning of the coating problems. I did not see anything unusual. Of course I will re-inspect now. Will report back. Very disturbing info!
It's starting to sound like anything aftermarket is Cr@p!
That post by Mark re the nitride coating on the superflow valves is very scary indeed, I have those beauties in my engine with 1800Ks and no issues as yet. He said other members here have had the same problem, I wonder, has Kenny at CycleX heard of this, surely he would not continue to sell such a dud product? or was it just a particular batch? 

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »

Well, like all things Engineering, "it depends"... :(

In a water-cooled engine of small displacement (e.g., less than 10 liters is sort of "small displacement" in the world of engine physics), compressions over 11:1 static are "high". In air-cooled engines, where "small" begins below 2 liters, numbers over 10:1 are considered "high", while above 12:1 they start calling them "very high". The distinctions in most cases revolve around cooling, masses of metals, and how well the thermal 'stuff' can be controlled. For instance here: cast iron engines can reach up to 16:1 compression with little trouble if the water speed in their cooling jackets is adjusted to take away the heat. The poor guys who do this are usually confronted with trying to get the heat out of the PISTONS, though, with predictable results when they don't. :)

One of the big issues in our engines (if I may ramble, like an engineer, for a moment) is in the materials used for the pistons. A well-managed engine has pistons that cool faster than bores, if both are heated at once and set out to cool as a test (you can do this yourself with these bike parts, to get smarter...). This is needed because the rings don't transmit a lot of this heat to the cylinder wall. This task then falls to the skirt-thru-oil contact to cool off the piston crown. So, the crowns are made smaller than the rest of the piston (so they can grow without hitting something) and the skirts are made to just barely fit in the hole, so as to improve their contact. The oil is then needed to prevent metal-to-metal contact: if you've ever held a used piston in your hand you can see how starting an engine that's been sitting any length of time has lost this oil film, and the results. Those tiny vertical scratches on the pistons happened then, or when someone waited too long to change the oil and the molecule chains got broken too short to protect things. Metals that don't mix well with each other tend to also forgive each other for these infractions somewhat, so aluminum, zinc, or [certain] coatings tend to enhance the heat transfer without scraping off any shavings in the motions. But...when harder metals are put into the pistons so they can be forged, or when aluminum is made denser by this process, some of this forgiveness goes away. Then it becomes more necessary for the oil to both keep the parts separated, AND carry the heat between them. Forged metals, being denser than cast ones, hold onto their heat more jealously, so they grow bigger in the hole than cast pistons. This is why you must add clearance above Honda's spec, for example, to use forged pistons in these engines.

Enter high compression: the heat goes up by the square of the pressures in combustion. So, if you used 100 PSI at 9:1 CR and burn rate makes this 600 PSI, but switch to 12:1 CR pistons (12/9=1.33, or 33% increase) to 177 PSI (it would actually become more than this, but I'll ignore compressibility for the moment) at the same burn rate, the same burn rate (which would actually also be higher) would make the pressures over 1000 PSI. This 400 PSI change is a 66% increase alone, which means the heat likewise quadrupled AT THE LEAST.

So, it doesn't take a lot of compression increase to melt a hole in an aluminum piston, especially when a forged one hands off less heat to the cylinders than the OEM cast version did. Be SURE to improve EVERYTHING ELSE around those pistons when "going high", as the heat must be managed, or it will manage (mangle?) the parts instead. ;)

About the Cycle X valves: after several attempts to reach Ken about it, I got an email back asking for "what actually happened", which I relayed (as above). I haven't heard anything else since then.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 03:55:31 pm »
Well then...   it would be good to know how many have had "Coatings problems", and how many have not, including your mileage. As I mentioned previously, I have 3000+ miles on the CycleX Super Light valve stems. Have not had a chance to reinspect the stems/guides, but will certainly be doing so shortly. Took a few trips to 11,000 RPM, so did not baby this engine,
 The first time I inspected, there was no obvious damage.

Nic

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 05:36:52 pm »
Well I'd like to know how the failed valve coatings engine was run etc, at first I shat when I read the post about the nitride coating but the panic has subsided now esp hearing that you have 3000 miles without probs, I have 1800K with no probs, the bike runs perefectly, has a nice smooth idle as well. I'd like to hear from others as well including the "other members " who had problems.  I always hate it when people say they emailed so n so but got no reply. I still can't believe they would sell those valves if they had lots of failures with the coating???? Right now I'm not gonna worry about it, sometime in the Oz winter I'll be pulling the engine down so we'll see what's what then but I'm not gonna worry.
I have the heavier springs as well and on 3 occasions I had a false neutral while on full throttle in 4th gear and the revs went wild but still no problems. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:39:28 pm by Nic »

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears Mark may be correct. the coating seems to be coming off.
This engine was full of carbon(blue arrows) after 3000 miles. Not sure if that caused the pitting (red Arrows)on the valve face, or not. Maybe, like he said the coating did it...  but there does not seem to much of it gone to do that, and this is 3000 hard run miles, not 300.
Regardless, if the coating is coming off, the product is failing. Ken should offer a refund. The seats, and guides appear to be ok.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:13:46 pm by 74750k4 »

Nic

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:32 pm »
Well mate, if your guides and seats are still good then you can polish the coating off, may need a light re-face but you may not be in much trouble. Thanks for the report.

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 07:37:36 pm »
Well, this early on, I am not jumping to any conclusions. The upper part of the stems are perfect, no problems. Only the exposed portions, and about  1/4" up are showing any change. One question I have is, is this normal, like the coating on a new camshaft comes off as well???  The pitting seems deeper than what I would think any polishing effort would correct.

Nic

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:51 pm »
Well it doesn't bode well for the future does it. Could you measure the upper stem for me please. I'm wondering if the stem is smaller than a stock valve, I think I'll buy new stockers from Yamiya and keep the bronze guides if these crap valves are thinner in the stem.
I have some old stock valves here, the stems measure: in= .258"  ex= .256"
So if you could have a quick measure of the upper stem I'd appreciate it.

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:58 pm »
i tried polishing the face on awheel with some rouge. while it made it all nice and shiny, it also made the pits stand out even more.
I will do some measurements along the stem, but not tonight...  done for the evening.

i am still wondering...  new camshaft lobes are coated too, and we all know those wear off. Is this also the case here???
I see no evidence of chunking, or flaking off, just wearing slowly off.

The other project is to brush all the carbon off the neck of the valve, and see what's under that portion.
the no grinding pic came from the K8 F3 service manual.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:31:50 pm by 74750k4 »

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 09:26:00 pm »
i tried polishing the face on awheel with some rouge. while it made it all nice and shiny, it also made the pits stand out even more.
I will do some measurements along the stem, but not tonight...  done for the evening.

i am still wondering...  new camshaft lobes are coated too, and we all know those wear off. Is this also the case here???

The other project is to brush all the carbon off the neck of the valve, and see what's under that portion.

New camshaft lobes are Parkerized. This is a surface finish that in put on to polish the moving surfaces while they mate together, sort of like a self-destructing lapping compound that oil activates. That's been around since the early 1900s. This coating is a different thing: it was supposed to reduce friction, or something like that. It practice, it causes the stems to measure about +.0004"-+.0006" more than stock, so if the guides get reamed to set .0010" clearance and it comes off, the guide-valve interface is then too loose, which causes oil control problems. In the head I had here, it wore the guides oval (outward at the top, inward at the bottom), like a grinding compound, almost .002" at the lower end of every intake guide. The exhaust guides were worn slightly less, but were oval at the chamber end. The places on the valves where no rubbing had happened still retained the coating, which was about .0005" on average over the diameter of the stem itself.

The valve seats in the head were very beat up, with deep pits and dents. The valve faces were deeply pitted and all had to be resurfaced, which I did at my local machine shop. He also had to cut new seats deep enough to clean them up (over 1mm deep), and he called me so we could talk it over: that was when I had to mill the head some more to get the combustion back up, as it had added quite some volume to the chambers.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2014, 07:33:23 am »
Well it doesn't bode well for the future does it. Could you measure the upper stem for me please. I'm wondering if the stem is smaller than a stock valve, I think I'll buy new stockers from Yamiya and keep the bronze guides if these crap valves are thinner in the stem.
I have some old stock valves here, the stems measure: in= .258"  ex= .256"
So if you could have a quick measure of the upper stem I'd appreciate it.

So I just did some measurements here on these CycleX Super Flow valves with 3000+ miles on them.

The Exhaust stem was measured in the top area where no wear occurs. I measure 6.52mm or .2570". Then, I measured the most worn looking spots I could find on the stem.
I measured 6.54mm, or .2575", so actually slightly larger in diameter than the un-worn areas of the stem. Interesting. The valves you measured seem to agree pretty well. Even though it appears the coating is coming off,  the diameter seems to be staying the same. I also confirmed they are stainless steel (no magnetic properties detected). the guide inner diameter, and ovality needs to be checked still, and I will attempt that measurement later. Again, the seats look good, and I would not touch those.

Nic

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2014, 01:43:19 pm »
Thanks for the measurements mate. This is a PITA for sure.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2014, 02:02:19 pm »
Subscribed

Offline banzaibob

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2014, 08:48:23 am »
Ride report:

This thread has been far more interesting than I thought it would be.  However, I thought people may want to know about the actual bike we're talking about. 

I finally got it all back together last night, scoped, synced, etc., etc.  I originally put #40 pilot jets in it but after I let it get nice and warm, with the bike on the centerstand I put it intro 3rd gear in hopes of applying the rear brake briefly under speed to get a sense of the original problem, low rpm/high load spark knock.  It wasn't as bad but was still there.  I went back to the richer pilot jets mostly as a precaution.  The 3rd gear/rear brake thingy revealed no spark knock. 

This morning I started it up.  It appears to have a different starting paradigm now, I've got to learn it.  It warmed up nicely and I took it to the gas station 3 miles away to fill it up.  Temperature was 32ยบ and it was suburban streets.  I wasn't able to get it out of 3rd gear.  I don't know if the cold has anything to do with it but I think the spark knock thing appears to be gone.  A couple of times I sort of lugged the engine (2000rpm up a slight hill) and I could almost kind of hear a little rattle but that is certainly not something I'm think I should worry about.  I was only able to get it around 5000rpm a couple of time in 1st or 2nd.  It appears to pull a little stronger up there.  I'm going to let the temperature warm up a little bit and go for a ride later on. 

I'm not ready to proclaim 100% victory but at least the thing appears to run well and it DEFINITELY hasn't lost anything in any rpm range. 
2011 BMW R1200RT
1976 BMW R90/6
1977 Harley Davidson XLCR
1974 Honda CB750
1979 Honda XR/FT500
1976 Honda CB750F
1971 Honda CB350 Diesel conversion
1976 Honda GL1000

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2014, 12:11:02 pm »

New camshaft lobes are Parkerized. This is a surface finish that in put on to polish the moving surfaces while they mate together, sort of like a self-destructing lapping compound that oil activates. That's been around since the early 1900s. This coating is a different thing: it was supposed to reduce friction, or something like that. It practice, it causes the stems to measure about +.0004"-+.0006" more than stock, so if the guides get reamed to set .0010" clearance and it comes off, the guide-valve interface is then too loose, which causes oil control problems. In the head I had here, it wore the guides oval (outward at the top, inward at the bottom), like a grinding compound, almost .002" at the lower end of every intake guide. The exhaust guides were worn slightly less, but were oval at the chamber end. The places on the valves where no rubbing had happened still retained the coating, which was about .0005" on average over the diameter of the stem itself.

The valve seats in the head were very beat up, with deep pits and dents. The valve faces were deeply pitted and all had to be resurfaced, which I did at my local machine shop. He also had to cut new seats deep enough to clean them up (over 1mm deep), and he called me so we could talk it over: that was when I had to mill the head some more to get the combustion back up, as it had added quite some volume to the chambers.
What springs were used and what was the seat pressure?
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline 74750k4

• Hot Shot
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »
I used the Kibblewhite springs with just shy of their recommended pressure using shims to get the installed heights correct.

Sad to say I just did the factory recommended test in the X axis for the stem to guide spec. Using the EXH valve I got .008
Factory spec for limit  is .004 so I guess I'm F'd. Brand new guides (3000 miles) worn out!

Nic

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »
Did you use the Cycle X bronze guides, I did, I seem to recall vaguely HondaMan saying something negative about them as well. Something about the OD being bigger? I'm already planning new guides and valves n hoping for the best with the seats. I used the Kibblewhite springs without the shims. I'm not ready to pull mine down yet, funds are few.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2014, 11:18:30 pm »
Did you use the Cycle X bronze guides, I did, I seem to recall vaguely HondaMan saying something negative about them as well. Something about the OD being bigger? I'm already planning new guides and valves n hoping for the best with the seats. I used the Kibblewhite springs without the shims. I'm not ready to pull mine down yet, funds are few.

The CycleX guides don't have anything "wrong" with them, except their OD is about .0010-.0012" larger than the OEM guides, or the APE equivalents. This means that when they are installed, they usually swell closed inside somewhat, and must be reamed after, more than with other guides. This is helpful, though, when guides have been changed several times in a head: the holes in the head tend to grow a bit and this can make 'normal' guides slightly looser than they should be: the oversized CycleX guides are then a help. I keep both types around, just in case. I've had to use CycleX guides especially if a guide was cracked or rusted from severe water damaged, and damaged the head on exit.

Nic

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2014, 11:25:19 pm »
Hi Mark, would this mean that "normal" guides will be loose now in the OD? If my guides are stuffed do I need the cycleX ones again.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2014, 11:25:41 pm »

What springs were used and what was the seat pressure?

The springs were Kibblewhite's, labelled as:
 "Honda CB 750 SOHC 1969-76 High Performance Spring Only Kit"
"Installs@ 1.320" to 1.340"

on their [clear] plastic box. The customer wanted these: their seat pressure is so high that even without their shims installed, it was all my spring compressor could do to pull them down far enough to insert the clips(!). I attempted twice to avoid having to use these, but he insisted, so...I would estimate the seat pressures in excess of 90 PSI, didn't have a gage to measure it. Pretty stiff...The installed heights came in between 1.335" and 1.339" over the set. Cam is a Megacycle 125-00, 8.05mm lift intakes.