Author Topic: RE: porta power hand pump to unstick seized engines  (Read 10544 times)

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
Re: RE: porta power hand pump to unstick seized engines
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 02:31:55 pm »
Lucky,
   I respect your opinion, so I have to ask why you think this method is worse than other methods like a gorilla  beating, a controlled cylinder burn, or other violent methods that have been discussed  on this forum for the past 3 years?  I'm not even sure that that is what you object to... do you mean that it is better to cut the cam chain ,remove the head and hang the jugs?  Cause I like that way too, it just takes way too long.
 I was always worried about putting too much pressure on one piston by greasing and I'd rather have the head off so there would be no complications with valves, That's why I came up with the untried plate method idea, so the pressure could be spread out over 2 pistons instead of one. Do you think that there will be a problem with that idea?
   I'm not being rude, you have offered dam good information here over the years, I don't know everything, and I'm interested to know what you know.  Please explain.      RB         

Q: Thought about it. Are you concerned that too much pressure will be exerted on the head bolts?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:10:27 pm by rb550four »
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 01:05:34 am »
if any engine needs this much drama just getting it apart id consider it a parts engine?any bore that is that rusted WILL need second oversize rebore at least?,let alone what else is solid in there?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 03:19:03 am »
I think the regular running of the engine puts the most pressure on the piston and head bolts.  Combustion engines run  basically on manage explosions.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 03:27:49 am »
controlled burns man!in theory the expansion keeps up with the falling piston and peters out just after the cranks halfway down and before its past the 90 degree point,the fuel bang is smooth and actually gently pushes the piston down,unlike a bullet being fired as most people think?

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 03:39:06 am »
My bad, thanks Dave. :)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 03:54:53 am »
its still a severe event,and is quite like an explosion,its amazing how engines hang together for so long after repeated cycles?like a few zillion times?million or billion is a short cycle?if you want do some calculations,like rpm times hours and such?i cant be #$%*ed,i know its a damned long time all happening in milliseconds!

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 04:02:32 am »
Speaking of which, smokeless powders are more like propellants.   They burn  with defined speed and to some extent push the bullet "gently" out too.

Black powder ignites in much shorter time, almost instantly.  That's why black powder kicks more.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 04:07:10 am »
you get the idea now,and this is where octane ratings come into play.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 04:26:29 am »
Yeah, if I though about it, I would not post the first post :)

lamillertime

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 07:56:19 am »
A bad idea period.

It is your engine.
Maybe all the young men really are
physically weak, after years of indoor computer use.

Lucky, do you do your computing outdoors while weight training and eating beef jerky (like a real man)?  I'm sorry, but I take offense to overgeneralized, snide remarks such as this. This forum has been a wonderful resource for me for almost two years; it has allowed me to resurrect a bike that was sitting since 10 years before I was even alive and make it into a reliable, well running mode of transportation. Its people with this sort of attitude that has made me reluctant to get involved with technical discussions apart from the odd piece of information I've contributed. Sorry to distract from the focus of the thread, but I'm calling you on your BS man.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 08:44:15 pm »
A bad idea period.

It is your engine.
Maybe all the young men really are
physically weak, after years of indoor computer use.

Lucky, do you do your computing outdoors while weight training and eating beef jerky (like a real man)?  I'm sorry, but I take offense to overgeneralized, snide remarks such as this. This forum has been a wonderful resource for me for almost two years; it has allowed me to resurrect a bike that was sitting since 10 years before I was even alive and make it into a reliable, well running mode of transportation. Its people with this sort of attitude that has made me reluctant to get involved with technical discussions apart from the odd piece of information I've contributed. Sorry to distract from the focus of the thread, but I'm calling you on your BS man.

I am eating beef jerky and laughing my a** off when I read this.  Also, for the record Lucky does not need to go to to the gym as he is lifting all those CB750 engines over his head to hang them from the rafters.  Probably does it one handed too!

Everyone thinks Chuck Norris is bad, but Chuck Norris has not meet Lucky either.  Lucky will round house kick Chuck back to 1969 and pop a wheel with the 1st sandcast while shotgunning a PBR!

Offline ogsmakdade

• bike newb
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:21 am »
sig'd

Everyone thinks Chuck Norris is bad, but Chuck Norris has not meet Lucky either.  Lucky will round house kick Chuck back to 1969 and pop a wheel with the 1st sandcast while shotgunning a PBR!
My "build" http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126537.0

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:29 am »
 My honest opinion. Remove head, split cases, remove rod caps, remove cylinder and pistons. Beat pistons out with a hammer and a 2x2. It needs rebuilt anyway and now you've seen the inside so you know it it's a ball of rust or a nice little candidate for boring to whatever size suits you and your cylinders.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 10:12:02 am »
My honest opinion. Remove head, split cases, remove rod caps, remove cylinder and pistons. Beat pistons out with a hammer and a 2x2. It needs rebuilt anyway and now you've seen the inside so you know it it's a ball of rust or a nice little candidate for boring to whatever size suits you and your cylinders.

+1  This will probably be the path I take.  Unless Lucky's hang em' high method will work without cutting the cam chain.  still waiting on the grease plug from rb550four.  Will try this first.

As for why splitting the cases not sure I want to go there as the PO said trans is good.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 12:19:46 pm »
Awesome, you have some info on the motor so you can make a plan and put it into action. I have a 104xxxx Ko motor that laid outdoors for a while. One big ? mark. I'm going to split it just because I think it's too stuck to be much inside. I did consider building an oil / solvent fire on top of the pistons out in the driveway, someone said that worked! BWAhahahaha!
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 12:42:25 pm »
Awesome, you have some info on the motor so you can make a plan and put it into action. I have a 104xxxx Ko motor that laid outdoors for a while. One big ? mark. I'm going to split it just because I think it's too stuck to be much inside. I did consider building an oil / solvent fire on top of the pistons out in the driveway, someone said that worked! BWAhahahaha!

We'll Don you really got my attention now, a K0 with 104k!  Woo wee sounds like a build thread coming on.  I really want a K0 or K0 like power, but for now all I can do is wait out the deep freeze until I can get my K1 out.  It has some real balls and can pull the front tire off the ground.  I also have a 74 or 75 that is very peppy.

It got me to wondering what makes one cb750 so much more powerful than the other, and all I can think is the quality of the head.  The PO of the of the 75 CB750 I am trying to unstick said it was a dog and could not get out of it's own way until he cleaned it up a bit.  Don't think he did major surgery just cleaning up the casting mess.

I'd really like to see exactly what he did.  Was reading the budget performance section in Honman's book and practicing with a junk head I am ready to just send it out and have it done by Mreick when funds permit.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 03:13:52 pm »
We'll a reply has been a long time commming.  I used RB550fours grease fitting on a stuck engine and it turned the crank.  Not completely free, but maybe that is due to all the grease in there.  Will have to pull engine to get all that lovely grease out.

Should be able to rotate with the alternator nut now?  At least that is what I am hoping.