Author Topic: From Michigan to San Francisco and back in 14 days  (Read 7580 times)

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
From Michigan to San Francisco and back in 14 days
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
Figured I'd get a thread started about my trip from a month ago.  More to come, but for now how about a video to start things out?  :D

(You can zoom in on this map if you open it in a new window.)

http://youtu.be/YIuHiBgZo28
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:38:30 pm by sangyo soichiro »
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: From Michigan to San Francisco and back in 14 days
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »
Cool deal dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »
Cool deal dude

Thank you, dusterdude.   :)

Before I went on this trip I made a list of things to take and asked for others' advice.  Here's my list, along with my thoughts on the items now that I'm back from the trip (after-the-fact thoughts in red).  Maybe others will find some value in this.

Emergency bike repair stuff:
Spare Parts:
Clutch cable
Throttle cable
Points plate
Coils - Not sure I would bring these again, but it was a mental comfort having them along.
Regulator - Probably wouldn't bring this next time, but only because I figure the chances of ever needing it are very low.
Fuel tubes, various diameters - Probably would only bring just enough for an emergency fix next time.  But if the tubes on the bike are in good shape, it's probably safe to leave these at home.
Fuses
Plugs - I also wrote down equivalents to the D8EA for other brands in case I need to buy on the trip.
Various jets - I wouldn't bother with these next time, but the PO had 130 jets in, and I switched them to 120 before the trip and just wanted to make sure I was ok.  120 worked fine for me at all elevations.
Tubes - When you pack these, be sure to not pack them next to anything sharp.
Chain - I actually didn't bring a chain, but next time I will, because a) I couldn't believe how much my chain was stretching each day, and b) about halfway through the trip I couldn't shake this nagging feeling that if my chain broke out in the middle of nowhere I'd be stranded.  At the very least, next time I'd bring a master link and the tools needed in order to use it.
Electric wire

It turns out I didn't need any of these, because the bike never had any problems.  But it was nice to have them along just in case.

Tools:
Tool kit that comes with the bike, supplemented with:
  Feeler gauges for the points and plug gaps
  Small files - To clean plugs or points.
  Emery cloth - For the same purpose as above.
  Pliers - I have a Leatherman Skeletool, but also brought small vicegrips.
  Adjustable wrench
  Allen wrenches - I only brought these because my bike has Allen heads. But I only brought the sizes I needed.
Mallet - Never needed this, but if you ever do, it sure comes in handy.
17 & 18 mm sockets with breaker bar
Screwdriver - I had one of those that you can flip the bits, 4 sizes altogether, but the size of one screwdriver.
Tire irons
Tire pump w/pressure gauge (small bicycle pump)
JB Weld
Electric tape - Oddly, I lucked out because I had purple (of all colors!) electrical tape.  This actually was a godsend when I had to use it to patch up my broken turn signal.  I would advise to bring yellow or orange electrical tape, or basically anything but black.
Duct tape
Voltmeter I actually left this at home.  I probably wouldn't bring it next time either, but that's just me.
Paint brush (small, for oiling chain) - This was very handy, actually.  And next time I will also bring a small bottle of used oil to oil the chain with.  (I was using oil from the bike itself this trip, using the dipstick to put a little in a cup and brush it on the chain from there.)  I ended up buying a can of chain lube about halfway through the trip.  I still like using good old motor oil though.

Clothing:
Change of pants (loose, so I can put them both on if needed) - Two pairs were enough for me.  Military BDU pants were comfortable and handy with all the pockets.  And it's nice to be able to button in your wallet and not have to worry about losing it - big thumbs up for pockets with buttons.
Long Johns, pants and shirts - I only really ever needed one of each.  If you stay at motels, you can wash them at night.
Socks (old tube socks, so I can flip them upside down and pretend they're fresh)  :D - If you're able to wash them, only two pairs are needed.  And I would probably bring good socks instead of old junk ones.  But if you are not able to wash them, then old throwaways are an option.
Hat
Hooded sweatshirt - Keeping in mind my trip was in the month of May, most of my ride I had the hood on under my helmet, and it did a good job of keeping me warm.  I wore one that zipped up the front in case I got too warm.
Leather jacket - I learned the hard way, make sure you have a jacket with a good working zipper.  I think I'm going to have to retire my old jacket.  Also, when I buy a new jacket, I'm definitely going to get one with lots of pockets, probably the good old classic motorcycle jacket like what Travolta wore in Grease.  On a trip, pockets come in very handy.
Military ACU jacket (fits either under or over the leather jacket, and has handy pockets) - This actually was a very nice piece of clothing to have along.
Gloves - I learned a pair of leather unlined gloves works great for country riding, and a pair of fingerless gloves works nice in areas where you know you're going to have to use your hands (like toll booths, gas pumps, etc.)  The only thing I would add is I would also look for gloves that you can tighten around your wrists, because I always seemed to have a gap between my loose fitting leather gloves and my jacket, where cool wind would chill my arms.
Poncho - Instead I took a thin rain coat.
Rain pants - After having to ride in the rain, I am a firm believer in rain gear now.  I rode into Denver in the rain, and my rain gear kept me dry.  It also came in handy on those cold mountain passes.
Handkerchief - Doesn't take up much space, and can be used for lots of things, including a makeshift scarf when it gets chilly.
The boots I had were all leather military combat boots, the kind paratroopers used to use.  These actually worked very well for me.

Personal stuff:
Toothbrush & paste - One small tube of paste is plenty for a 2-week trip.
Earplugs - Next time I will have a spare pair too.
Soap & deodorant - If you're staying at motels, leave the soap at home and keep the first motel bar you get.
Laundry detergent - Just a small amount, enough for 2 washes.  If needed, ordinary soap can be used to wash clothes.
Eyedrops - I actually didn't take this, and never needed them.  But that's just me.
Toilet paper - Next time I will only bring along enough for one "emergency."  It came in handy to blow my nose a few times, but I brought way too much and it just got in the way.
First aid stuff - I should specify, this amounted to basically a few bandaids.  Just something to cover a blister or keep blood from getting on my clothes.
(2) 20-oz water bottles - And I learned the hard way that you better drink them, even if you're not thirsty.  I suffered bad dehydration headaches the first few days.  Later I ditched the 20-oz. bottles in favor of liter bottles.
Food - Next time I would only bring along enough for one or two emergency lunches.
Spoon & fork - Although I did use them, I probably could have left these home.
Knife - I always carry a Swiss Army Knife anyway.
Leatherman Skeletool - This is just the one I have.  I carry it every day anyway.
Flashlight - Mine is a small AAA-battery one, very handy when you really need it.  I also brought along a spare battery.
Sleeping bag - Next time, unless I'm specifically going to camp, I will leave this home.
Hammock - I have a small hammock that didn't take up much space.  Again, unless I'm specifically going to camp, I will leave this at home.
Small notebook w/pen and pencil - I ended up using the pencil a lot more than the pen.

Miscellaneous stuff:
Map of the U.S. & road atlas - The road atlas was a lot more useful than the map.
Compass - I have a small compass that mounts to the handlebar.
Owner's manual - It fits under the seat anyway, so I put my emery cloth in it and put it in a ziplock bag.  It was comforting to have it with, for the technical info in case of a breakdown.  Keep in mind, I was riding all alone.
Trash bags (big ones, poor man's rain gear)  :D - These actually came in very handy.  I used one to cover my bags while riding in the rain, and another trick I used these for was to cover my seat at night, also pulling the bag over the oil cap and seat lock.  I figured if someone might have been up to mischief (stealing, or I heard of someone putting a cigarette butt in someone's oil tank), if the seat lock and oil cap are out of sight, they might also be out of mind.  Only 2 or 3 bags is enough.
Ziplock bags
Zip-ties - One of these was actually the first emergency thing I needed.
Tarp - Next time, unless I'm specifically going to camp, I will leave this home.
Lighter
Safety pins
Rope - This actually came in really handy.  Glad I had it.
1-gallon gas can - I didn't take it, and never needed it.
Siphon - Ended up leaving this at home too.  Probably wouldn't take it on future trips either.

Other thoughts about what I brought with me:
On the next trip I would definitely change the way I pack my stuff.  The bag setup I had was ok, but it kept wanting to shift to the right for whatever reason.  I will rig up some saddle bags for the next trip.  I will also pack lighter, as much as comfortably possible.  One thing I didn't list but brought along, were a couple books.  I'm a pretty big reader, but even I hardly cracked open the books during the trip.  Especially if you're keeping a journal, books probably won't get much use.  (But hey, at least I can now say that my copy of Zen has been to San Francisco and back.)  :D

I'm also going to get an under the headlight tool bag, or pack my gear so that I can easily get under the seat if that's where I carry them.  Whatever I do though, I'm going to pack my tools in a place where they're easy to get to.  Even when I was tightening the chain every morning (and yes, it was every morning - I couldn't believe how much it was stretching!), it's just really nice to have your tools in a place that's easy to get to. 

One thing I wish I had, and will rig up for the next trip, is a cheap digital watch that I will mount to the handlebar.  It's nice to be able to see what time it is when you're riding, and going through several time zones my phone ended up getting confused and giving me different times, so it's nice to have a good old fashioned watch that stays put and lets you do the math yourself.

Just for the sake of it, I'll also list my pre-trip maintenance.
Changed oil and filter - I also changed the oil 3000 miles into the trip.
Changed fork oil - I would highly advise also making sure your fork seals are good and don't leak.  Mine leaked, and after a few thousand miles it will ruin your pants.
New chain
Cleaned carbs
Made sure there's enough fluid in the front brake master cylinder
Good tires
Clean air filter or replace
New battery - It just happens that I needed a new one.
Check all lights
Clutch and throttle cables looked good
New tach cable - Mine leaked oil.  If you have an oil leak that looks like it's coming from the right side of the tappets, might want to look at the tach cable.
Loosened and retightened all screws that might need to come off for roadside repairs - Since I won't have an impact driver on the side of the road, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be hampered my a stubborn screw.  This included the points cover, clutch cover, hand controls, basically anything with a philips head.

I should note that all the above did me well for a 2-week trip.  Shorter or longer trips might differ.  Also, keep in mind that I was riding alone.  If I was riding with other people I might pack differently, maybe not taking so many spare parts.  And finally, I ended up staying in motels, so all the stuff for camping ultimately wasn't necessary.

I also notice when watching YouTube videos of people packing for trips, nowadays it seems no one packs spare parts like I did.  Must be nice touring on a modern bike knowing that any part you might need is just a motorcycle shop away!  :D

More to come. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:41:50 am by sangyo soichiro »
1974 CB 750
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:26 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
Just noticed this. Love the video and sound-track!!! 8) 8) 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
Cool video and great info above.  Glad it was a great trip for you, one that I'm sure you will never forget.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:43:58 am »
Thank you Stev-o, scottly, and dusterdude.  I plan to go into more detail of the trip itself and all the good things that happened, but I'll have to hold off on that until I have a little more time to devote to it.  Stay tuned though!   :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:42:09 am by sangyo soichiro »
1974 CB 750
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:13:16 am »
Subscribed  ;D

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 06:30:56 am »
would the trip have been better with company or not?  I want to make the trip but I think I would want company.  In 1970 I rode from Greenville SC to LA on a CB350 twin.  Not to bright then and not much has changed.  Beautiful work on the film and I await the journal entries.

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:08:20 am »
would the trip have been better with company or not?  I want to make the trip but I think I would want company.  In 1970 I rode from Greenville SC to LA on a CB350 twin.  Not to bright then and not much has changed.  Beautiful work on the film and I await the journal entries.

Thank you.   :D

I have a 350 twin also!  Great bike.  I don't think I would hesitate taking the 350 on a long trip, (once I get the carbs working right).

About going along with someone else...
I definitely would have liked to have shared my experience with someone else, but I guess it depends on who the other person was.  If you have similar riding styles, then it would be a great experience.  But if, say, you like to take it easy and your partner likes to go hard and fast, then there might be issues.  I pushed myself on this trip, not eating at regular times, going maybe another 50 miles or so before I retired for the night, stopping to see the sights that interested me and bypassing the ones when I just wanted to keep going, etc.  I'm not sure how another rider would have jived with my riding style.  One advantage of having company is that if you break down it's not such a dire emergency, so that's a huge plus.  I guess ultimately I'd say if you are just going to casually ride, no deadlines (i.e., don't have to rush back home for your job, etc.), maybe no set-in-stone destinations, etc., then having another rider along would be great.  But if you're pressed for time, or there's definitely a destination you want to reach and you know it's going to take some long days on the road, then maybe going solo is better.  I think, (and I don't know if such a thing is available or not), but if there's a two-way radio thingy on the market that you can wear over your ear under the helmet so you can talk with your fellow rider, that would be great.  It would be nice to be able to say, "Hey!  Did you see that?!" Or, "Look at that thing!", or, "I've got to stop and get gas/take a leak/etc.", while you're riding, and not have to wait until you stop to talk to your friend.  I don't know if such a device exists, but that would make riding with someone else a lot nicer.  Sharing expenses such as motel rooms, camping sites, etc., would be nice, of course. 

The first time I got to Las Vegas I had to make the decision to either start heading back or go on to San Francisco.  At the time it was a coin toss.  I ultimately decided that to come so far and not reach the Pacific coast would be a tragedy, so I kept heading west, and I'm glad I did!  If I was with someone else that didn't have the stamina I had, or was just getting itchy to get home, I may not have continued to the west coast.  But who's to say that maybe another rider might have suggested some other really cool destinations?  Maybe I would have seen more if I had someone else that had their own set of ideas and such.

Since I only have experience with this one trip, by myself, I guess you'd have to see what other people say that have gone it alone and also went with other riders.  I would be curious too to hear how these two options compare from people that have done both.
1974 CB 750
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…

Offline bluezboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:12 am »
 We old Honda riders are  really out of our minds riding bikes so old. But we continue to ride  our old gals as if they were newer bikes, well I know I do. that looks like a great trip you did, congratulations. I plan on taking Pandora,my 73 750 on a cross country trip in the near future also. I know I should be worried about her age, but she does run like a top all day long so what the heck? Solo trips are important because then you can take your time, I stop for photos a lot, but if you have the right partner it can be fun.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:48:55 am »
Agree. Would like to see each scene display just a tad longer though.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »
Is this adventure complete?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:00:06 am »
Is this adventure complete?

From the first post:

"Figured I'd get a thread started about my trip from a month ago".
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »
I haven't forgotten my promise to give more details about this trip.  Just been really busy with a lot of stuff going on.  I'll eventually get to it though, I promise.

I think about this trip every day.  Sometimes I just close my eyes for a second and I'm back in Death Valley, or Yosemite, or the Bay looking out at Alcatraz.  For anyone who's thinking about doing something like this, I say don't waste anymore time and just do it.  The memories are almost as nice as the trip itself.
1974 CB 750
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 02:28:46 pm »
Just found this, nice. Looks like it was a great trip.  Gotta agree with Bob, must be our age or something. ;)
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 03:23:48 pm »
So it's been bugging me that I never finished up this thread.  I promised to tell the story of the trip, but I've found it's really difficult trying to put it all into words.  So much happened and I saw so many things it's just a little overwhelming trying to put it all into words.  So I hope you'll accept these photos for now.  They're kind of in reverse order, but I figure the order is not that important anyway - it's the views themselves that count.  I'm not including every photo I took, and there were some good views I didn't get photos of (for some reason I didn't start taking photos until I was out of Nebraska), but these were the highlights of the trip.  (I'm mostly just including the photos that have the bike in them.)

Neat little station on Route 66 as I was heading home.

Going at a constant 70+ mph for hours on end, you get used to the speed and when you exit the freeway don't forget to slow down!

Grand Canyon.

Near Hoover Dam.  Forget "no overnight parking" - I slept a couple hours on the picnic tables.  :P

These next two are coming out of Yosemite and into Nevada.  It was near here I saw a rattle snake.  Rode near the center of the road after that!

Out west the roads seem like they go on forever with no other person in sight.

The next few are Yosemite.

San Francisco.

Fire damage between SF and Yosemite.

The next three are Death Valley.

Zion.

Near Bryce Canyon.

The guy you see in the photo (taking his own photo) is one of the two Canadian riders I kept running into at every gas station between Hanksville UT and Zion.  :D  They were on their own cross-country trip, and it sounded like a good one (one that made mine look like child's play).  I didn't even get their names though, and I didn't see them again after Zion.   :(

Between Hanksville and Bryce (Grand Staircase?).  Man, there's the road and then it goes right down into that canyon, no guardrail, and the left side of the road isn't much better.  As the Australians would say, death on a stick, mate!

Mountain Pass (it was COLD, even too cold for the Canadians - now that's cold!).

Morning ritual.

Hite's Canyon (the little white dots you see is where the gas pump was).

Bridge over the Colorado River at Hite's Canyon.

Gas station in Hite's.  As I was coming from the Valley of the Gods toward Hanksville I was a little worried I might run out of gas.  Then, right in the middle of nowhere, here's this gas pump!  Right in the middle of Hite's canyon.

The Moki Dugway near the Valley of the Gods.  This is also death on a stick!

Valley of the Gods going into the Moki Dugway (Before I knew what I was in for, I was thinking, "Is there a tunnel or something? I'm headed right toward a cliff…!").

Near the Mexican Hat.

Monument Valley.

This is the only picture I have of Shiprock.  But if you google it (click here) you'll see it's quite a rock.  Kind of eerie, actually.  Oh, and it must be the local's ritual to spit chewing gum near the gas pumps because I got gum all over my boots there.  >:(  ::)

A fire outside my motel near Chama, NM.

Rio Grande Gorge.  These photos don't do it justice.  Click here.

Busted my turn signal near Taos, New Mexico.   >:(

Re-engineered it though.   ;D

Some feral dogs at the gas station where I busted my turn signal.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:27:00 pm by sangyo soichiro »
1974 CB 750
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 06:16:55 pm »
Been waiting for this, great update!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 07:39:52 pm »
+1 excellent photos! Looks like a really great trip!

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 05:57:07 am »
Thanks for sharing the great photos
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 07:42:03 am »
Yep, nice pix. Makes me want to go for a long ride.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 08:35:00 am »
Nice pics and trip
Your chain hassles, bring small container of gear lube.  Can be messy so wrap well, or make a bracket for it. Even with cheap chain, will triple. Your chain life and reduce stretching...
 Siphoned hose.. If you pack bike fuel line, often you can pop a line off another bike, then let gas out into a container, or take your tank off and put it on the ground..
Carry at least two long pieces of wire, so you can use as jumpers if need be. Alligator. Clips will do for kickstarting.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:16:48 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way