Author Topic: Sam Green Recovery Fund  (Read 32961 times)

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
Re: Sam Green Recovery Fund
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2014, 03:17:26 pm »
     When a bike shuts off during a run, most riders sit up, pull in the clutch, and check the bike over as you are coasting down the track. The smart ones go for the edge of the track to minimize oil that might be spilling on the track. I've run at New England Dragway with my Hondamatic and forgot to turn on the gas. Got off of the starting line, but the motor died somewhere between 5 and 6 grand in low gear. The bike used an external starter. I didn't go forward on the seat when the motor stopped. It just slowly slowed down. I made it halfway down the shutdown area before it stopped going forward. It was a long push onto the return road where I got some towing help.
     Bike was a little quicker than Sam's running 11.8's back then. I  knew from the sound of the motor what I had forgotten to do. Both Sam's and my bike have higher than stock stall speeds. With my bigger motor, I saw about 4k max on the starting line. Bill has seen a little over 3k with his similar torque converter setup. Yes, at high rpms when your motor stops, the rotating mass will help to slow it down to below the stall speed.
     If Sam's motor had stopped, the logical thing to do was to pull over to the side, check over the bike, and try to restart it. You can't restart it in gear. I didn't see his head moving around when he sat up. If it was running when track officials got there, I'd doubt that the motor had died. It's possible, but unlikely. Coasting at 45 would have gotten him just beyond the finish line with the motor shut off in my opinion.
     We have the options of too much throttle, too much rear brake, mechanical issue(s), or foreign substance on the track. There are no other options that I'm aware of that could cause it. We've dismissed all options.
     I apologize for stating that the rear brake would have instantly locked up the rear wheel. On my bikes, it would have. Having less brake line pressure than my setups have would allow a little lever modulation that might have helped slow down the bike. If you're having a problem going down the track, few would gently apply the rear brake as your adrenaline increases your strength. Both Bill and Sam were warned not to use the rear brake to slow down as there is a possibility of locking up the rear wheel. I checked the rear tire for flat spots after I saw the video. I couldn't find any. There was no rear brake light on during the run.
     Bill and Sam have run very similar ET's with the two bikes. Most of the time, Sam runs a little quicker. Bill has the quicker 60' times and Sam has the mph edge. Bill pulled away from Sam fairly quickly on that run. Something wasn't right early on with the pass. I don't have any answers and hope that I haven't been thought to attack anyone.
     There are now flowers in Sam's room. It's not an easy thing to do as Sam's name is not beside his door. They have a really nice person in the gift shop who went the extra mile. My main concern is Sam getting better. My minor concern is that there isn't any problem with the bike that might cause Bill to have a spill.  That's why I agreed to drive the bike in the pits to test the throttle, motor, and brakes. I don't have answers. We're all concerned with Sam's well being. He's left a strong positive opinion with all of us on this forum. Let's hope that the good news continues.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
     We have the options of too much throttle, too much rear brake, mechanical issue(s), or foreign substance on the track. There are no other options that I'm aware of that could cause it. We've dismissed all options.

There is one more option, STOP speculating and let Sam recover and tell us EXACTLY what happened.... Sounds like a plan.... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »

There is one more option, STOP speculating and let Sam recover and tell us EXACTLY what happened.... Sounds like a plan.... 8)
Good idea Mick. Just to let you know he doesn't remember anything. While I know he is an old codger (keep in mind I love the man and so does my family) I think the bang to the head erased the memory. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2014, 04:19:01 pm »
Good on all accounts. Lets let Sam heal. In time we'll figure it out. Track condition, rider input, mechanical failure, doesn't matter, except for we don't want to duplicate the situation/problem.
Will be checking bike over, Samauto hasn't made its last run yet! ;D I'll speak with him again tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted. God bless Sam and all of you. Thanks, Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »
Well I got started, first place I looked I don't like what I see. See what y'all think, constructive comments please. Something's on right side rear tire, fuel line came loose in crash, but it's on left side. Speculating ok, just don't point fingers, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
3 more.
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »
Everybody slow down and take a deep breath! We need to deal with the FACTS as we know them!

Did not ever hit the rear brake as it has a light like Mike stated.
I never see a brake light when Sam was staging, yet he clearly launched off the left hand rear brake? It looks like he was popping a clutch off the line.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2014, 06:05:01 pm »
Good point, maybe too bright to see, it blinks at you!
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2014, 06:08:36 pm »
 Bill..I certainly don't mean to be disrespectful but I think we are done with analysis. I know I am and I'm a PITA. I'm shifting gears and worrying about Sam. He'll be on the prayer list at my church....boy...the minister can't mispronounce his name. ;)
 I'll also say watching Sam laying on the tarmac was one of the most helpless moments in my life. Seeing your brother out there not moving and thinking about his boys and grand kids who I know personally was a bit overwhelming for me at times. That guy has spent a lot of time with me and my family. I have also spent a good amount of time with Sam's youngest son Jonathan. Also spent time with his oldest Michael and his wife, father in law and grandkids.
 Getting drunk on Jack in Sam's flat. Sam's laser straight hedges. Getting caught in a hailstorm out of nowhere. Jonathan's love of HP steak sauce. Seeing the Lewis Carrol "Alice in Wonderland" statue in the heart of Warrington etc are things I hold close and dear. That's what I'm thinking about now. I love the man.
  Mike
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:24:12 pm by MRieck »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:55 pm »
Oh yeah Brian....you were on that prayer list too (every Sunday your name was spoken) and look how well you turned out. ;)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »
You are right Mike, the only one who may know what happened is Sam. It really does not matter anyway. The point is you cannot live your life backwards. He has to heal and that will take some time. I would send up a Prayer, but I don;t thing the big guy would recognize my voice. 
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2014, 06:32:29 pm »
You are right Mike, the only one who may know what happened is Sam. It really does not matter anyway. The point is you cannot live your life backwards. He has to heal and that will take some time. I would send up a Prayer, but I don;t thing the big guy would recognize my voice.
Flying helicopters in Vietnam qualifies you for a voice anywhere Bobby. He would hear you brother. ;) Now...that stuff you did in Vegas............. ;D

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2014, 06:38:34 pm »
Checking this out on my 13" laptop. I can't see what Bill sees on the tire?? Watching the video I first  see Sam sitting up. Do I see a slight puff of something off the rear after he sits up and before it starts getting squirrely? Liquid on track? Could have been why he sat up and backed off but Mike says the track is dry?! Right side - rear brake fluid? His oil? I'd like to think that if he were to intentionally back off as it appears he did then he'd still ride it to the turn off vs pushing that sum#$%*.

Sam's the man. He wasn't giving up on it!!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »
Yes, I agree, just saw it and thought y'all might want to see it. It is and was all about Sam. Agree on the helpless feeling, felt kinda hollow inside. Many prayers answered when he opened his eyes. Even more when he spoke. We may never know period. As long as Sam mends ok, who cares, except for I expect to ride bike down the road. I wish you could have spoken with him today.Murphy, he's going to be alright. Just going to take some time. Love you all, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
OK, time for some new pledges! I mailed mine today. ;)
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2014, 06:51:29 pm »
Oh yeah Brian....you were on that prayer list too (every Sunday your name was spoken) and look how well you turned out. ;)

Thanks Mate.
If you have the opportunity please thank your congregation for me, it is truly appreciated.
I have no doubt they will get the same result with Uncle Sammy.
Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Blitzburgh207

• Hot Shot
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
Glad to hear Sam's doing well and that his son will be able to make the trip over.  I will contribute what I can to the fund.

I agree that speculating what may have happened doesn't help Sam one bit, but I am happy to see that Bill is giving the bike a thorough check before riding.  Good luck Bill!

Adam
1978 CB750 K8

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »
OK, time for some new pledges! I mailed mine today. ;)
There you go Scott....I still have to put mine in. ::)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2014, 06:55:43 pm »
Slacker! :o ;D ;D

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »
Flying helicopters in Vietnam qualifies you for a voice anywhere Bobby. He would hear you brother. ;) Now...that stuff you did in Vegas............. ;D
Well, yeah I guess I could give it a try. The Vegas things seemed like a ideas at the time. There is a Church down the road I pay every Month for some reason. I will stop in tomorrow.   
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »
Well, yeah I guess I could give it a try. The Vegas things seemed like a ideas at the time. There is a Church down the road I pay every Month for some reason. I will stop in tomorrow.
It's painless brother. The Vegas gig sounded pretty interesting if you ask me. You don't have to light candles Bobby though I truly understand paying dues. Anyway..............your support is what is needed.  ;) You're a good man too bro. ;)
  Mike

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2014, 07:03:44 pm »
Come on folks, smash your piggy banks, turn in your beer cans to the recycling center, whatever. Every bit will help. :)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2014, 07:06:38 pm »
Come on folks, smash your piggy banks, turn in your beer cans to the recycling center, whatever. Every bit will help. :)
Right on brother! ;)

Offline Charlie David

« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:45 pm »
Bobby R et al:

If God didn't listen to sinners He wouldn't have anybody to listen to...
I've anted up for Sam and will ante up some prayers too.
He's turned a wrench on my bike. It's kinda like being blessed by the pope.
Sam's got good friends...really good friends.
Bill is taking this hard. Keep Bill in your prayers too.
I just wanna ride my motor-cy

1970 K0 CB750
Restored
Thank you Bill Benton

1970 K0 CB750 Rat Rod
1970 K0 CB750 Current Project
1970 K0 CB750 Frame & Engine
1971 K1 CB750 Frame & Engine & Parts
1974 K4 CB750 Cafe Frame & Parts

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »
Can we put the paypal address in a sticky please....I don't won't to go through the pages.