Author Topic: Restoration question- electrics  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Hurstman1972

Restoration question- electrics
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »
I'm finishing a full resto on a 74 CB350F.  Should I upgrade the ignition system to something more modern? If so, what? And should I replace the original rectifier and regulator? I also need advice on the best coils/wires for this bike.
Thanks!

Offline Ravie

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • Soul to Soul
Re: Restoration question- electrics
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:05:35 pm »
The Reg/Reg solid state combo from Ricks is touted as being one of the best replacements for the voltage regulator and rectifier on these. They're plug and play units, just have to mount them.

Aftermarket ignitions are great, Pamco and Dyna both make popular units...or you could stick with quality points and use HondaMan's transistor ignition box that makes the points last nearly forever...
1975 CB750K5 Rebuild in progress.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=139072.0

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:43:11 am »
Well, being picky, to me "restored" means returned to as-new condition.
I recommend Dyna coils (5 ohm). They work, have replaceable wires, and will mount on the OEM mounts (with a simple and minor mod to the mounts). Get the Dyna HT wire kits with them, it saves a lot of trouble finding wire and coil terminals. You will also need plug caps.
Ignition - decent point sets are getting hard to find and expensive. If you plan on putting lots of miles on then get an electronic ignition, or install a Hondaman interface and good points plate. The interface has a bonus: you can remove it if it fails and proceed using the points. No full electronic ignition has this backup feature. With either option, ignition timing is set-and-forget (check every year or two to confirm it hasn't changed). With the HM box you need to lube the points cam occasionally but they don't really wear.
For an EI, I think the extra dosh for a system with programmable advance and a rev limiter is worth it. These also eliminate the mechanical advancer.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=469seambjeu2523kti62csacg0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:08:07 am »
try to test the old parts.. can they be made "nice" to look at....vires can be thanged..nev vires can be solderet in,,and the yellov flex can be thanged to new..... it a lov cost ..but takes long time....so money or time..its up to you..hvat have you most off...some nev komponents looks different..so how perfekt stock must it be..performance  is nothing to pay ekstra for..they drive perfekt vith platin ignision and old refigeritor..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:54:47 am »
How did you get that engine soooooo clean?
Nanahan Man

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:11:33 am »
New Honda coils and points will easily last another 40 years.  Especially, when they are stored inside.  I can't imagine that beauty spending much of its time outside unless she's being ridden.

Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline tycmitchell

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 01:36:31 pm »
I swapped my original coils with the Dyna coils and wires(purchased as a set on eBay).  No need to modify your existing brackets, just flip them around/upside down.  Then you'll have clearance for the wires coming out the bottom of the coil and you won't ruin the stock mounts.  Tank will clear them too.  I'm waiting to put Hondamans ignition in;  if I keep buying things the wife will take notice.

Offline Hurstman1972

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 03:17:05 pm »
How did you get that engine soooooo clean?
It's clean for sure, but I powder coated the case and cylinder in the brightest silver I could find. Being the OCD person that I am, I spent way too much time polishing the cam cover, side covers, as well as other misc aluminum parts. The frame, swing arm, etc, are all powder coated.

Offline Hurstman1972

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:21:21 pm »
Well, being picky, to me "restored" means returned to as-new condition.
I recommend Dyna coils (5 ohm). They work, have replaceable wires, and will mount on the OEM mounts (with a simple and minor mod to the mounts). Get the Dyna HT wire kits with them, it saves a lot of trouble finding wire and coil terminals. You will also need plug caps.
Ignition - decent point sets are getting hard to find and expensive. If you plan on putting lots of miles on then get an electronic ignition, or install a Hondaman interface and good points plate. The interface has a bonus: you can remove it if it fails and proceed using the points. No full electronic ignition has this backup feature. With either option, ignition timing is set-and-forget (check every year or two to confirm it hasn't changed). With the HM box you need to lube the points cam occasionally but they don't really wear.
For an EI, I think the extra dosh for a system with programmable advance and a rev limiter is worth it. These also eliminate the mechanical advancer.
I understand "picky" and agree except I'm not above upgrading the hidden stuff to make the bike more reliable/faster! And I'm grateful for the advice on the charging and ignition system, thanks!
What's your advice on the best battery for this old sled?

Offline Hurstman1972

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
I swapped my original coils with the Dyna coils and wires(purchased as a set on eBay).  No need to modify your existing brackets, just flip them around/upside down.  Then you'll have clearance for the wires coming out the bottom of the coil and you won't ruin the stock mounts.  Tank will clear them too.  I'm waiting to put Hondamans ignition in;  if I keep buying things the wife will take notice.
Love the closing comment! I know exactly what you mean; that's why many of my purchases get delivered to my office! Ha!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:33:09 pm by Hurstman1972 »

Offline Hurstman1972

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »
The Reg/Reg solid state combo from Ricks is touted as being one of the best replacements for the voltage regulator and rectifier on these. They're plug and play units, just have to mount them.

Aftermarket ignitions are great, Pamco and Dyna both make popular units...or you could stick with quality points and use HondaMan's transistor ignition box that makes the points last nearly forever...
I'll check out the solid state stuff at Rick's. Thanks!

Offline cb400f/20yo/semi-broke.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 04:14:30 pm »
I bought these of davidssilverspares:  https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB400F-SUPER-SPORT-FOUR/part_83524/
For my CB400F

I haven't tested them yet since my bike is still in winter storage (living room)  :D, But they seem to be getting good review's on the us site 4into1.com
The coils doesn't have the original design, nor do they mount the way the original coils did.
Anyhow they're cheaper than the dyna coils.

This is how i ended up mounting them, they coils are hanging down lower. But the gas gank still fits and covers them.
Maybe i completely misunderstood the kit that followed with, who knows  ??? ???