Author Topic: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread  (Read 183450 times)

Offline nixon

• Enthusiast
Re: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread
« Reply #550 on: September 28, 2014, 04:33:22 am »
hey
i installed tapered bearings on my cb750A. the first 50 miles were great. Amazing.

Then something happened and steering went super heavy- too tight.

Since then ive adjusted it 10 times, just loosening the top triple clamp- and adjusting the steering cup notched bolt.

Im talking 3-5 mills too toght- or too loose..so get wobbles at speed..or too heavy at low speed.

Could it be as i haven't ground down ridges in the cup like in pic? so ridges only in contact with bearing? do i need the cup? can i just separate the nut with ridges so it sits flush?

-- update - ----------

I separated the cup from the nut and it made a big improvement. It really needs to sit flush not on the ridges...1000 miles going great

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:47:25 pm by nixon »
cb750a 77, cbr900rr 93 with auto clutch

Riding tip " turn in late, feeling great.  Turn in early,  feeling squirrely "

Offline turkey4me

• Enthusiast
  • The closer you are the less you can see!
« Reply #551 on: February 08, 2015, 06:00:01 pm »
I started installing tapered bearings today on a 750F after reading this thread.  Everything is going smooth. 
I froze the new bottom race and hammered it in gently with rubber mallet.  Once flush I used 1.5" PVC to drive it in further.

My question is how far is far enough.  The bottom race did not fully seat.  I can put a fingernail in between the race and the seat face of the steering head.  I can't get it completely flush which has me worried.
Any thoughts?

Offline nixon

• Enthusiast
« Reply #552 on: February 08, 2015, 07:31:32 pm »
Maybe try something steel to drive it. .perhaps the pvc not up to job.  Should sit flush I believe
Did u lightly grease also?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:45:28 pm by nixon »

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #553 on: February 08, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »
I know it is a zombie thread, but figured it kept things together.

Does anyone have the current part numbers for just the cone bearings?
I am trying to mount a stock CB750 front end to me Seeley.

Currently have Timken bearing races in the frame.  The Seeley uses a different OD bearing race for some reason.
So I only need the cone bearings to fit onto the stock Honda stem.

Have dug up
07100 and L45499 but hear those might not actually still work?
Unsure how a part number could work at one time and then change.  But stranger things have happened.
I guess I could just send AllBalls the dimensions for the races and order a set from them, but I am cheap.
Assume that the 2 cone bearings will cost $20

Thanks for any help

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #554 on: February 10, 2015, 10:27:18 pm »
The bearings were never standard numbers and different manufacturers can use a different angle on the tapers so cones and cups should never be mixed
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline nixon

• Enthusiast
« Reply #555 on: February 10, 2015, 11:12:59 pm »
Yeah complete kit cheap enough

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #556 on: February 11, 2015, 04:16:17 am »
The bearings were never standard numbers and different manufacturers can use a different angle on the tapers so cones and cups should never be mixed
I was reading that the taper is an ISO standard.  So if the cup size is close its okay?  The seeley cups are about 1mm larger OD

Yeah complete kit cheap enough
Issue is that it is not going on a stock bike, so no kit.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #557 on: February 11, 2015, 11:20:52 pm »
The inner and outer diameters are a standard but not the actual taper anglemate
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline SierraCB

« Reply #558 on: April 22, 2015, 02:32:47 pm »
I have everything off of the stem and out of the head tube... I totally f'd on the bottom area where the race seats.  So pissed.  Am I screwed?  I got the top race in just fine after freezing but the bottom seems like itll be hell. I'm using the ALL BALLS kit.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #559 on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »
I have everything off of the stem and out of the head tube... I totally f'd on the bottom area where the race seats.  So pissed.  Am I screwed?  I got the top race in just fine after freezing but the bottom seems like itll be hell. I'm using the ALL BALLS kit.
picture?
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #560 on: April 22, 2015, 02:45:43 pm »
550 or 750?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline SierraCB

« Reply #561 on: April 22, 2015, 05:22:13 pm »

Offline koendd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2016, 11:49:36 am »
old thread but need some advice...

Working on a 550, just installed the races/bearing on the neck.
When I thighten everything down, the steering stop on te frame hits the raised section of the lower triple...

The bearing kit just came with the 2 bearing, cups and 2 seals.
So no spacers used (used same kit on two 750's and didn't install a spacer either, never had problems with that...

So I'm guessing the lower triple goes in to deep right?
I'll try to get the new bearing off the triple and install a spacer, but since I have no measurements of spacers, how thick are the ones that do come with other kits (like all balls)?

Thanks!
1972 cb750K2 brat
1976 cb360
1984 GPZ900R

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #563 on: July 14, 2016, 12:06:40 pm »
The Parts Plus kit came with a .150" lower spacer. I've read that some kits come with a thinner lower spacer, like .100", with an even thinner upper spacer, like .050"?
The tapered bearings are shorter overall than the ball bearings, which is why spacers are needed.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline koendd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #564 on: July 14, 2016, 12:09:03 pm »
allright, thx!

will see what I can fab up tomorrow. that seems about the height I'm lacking at the bottom...

Weird I never had problems with my 750's without spacer though....
1972 cb750K2 brat
1976 cb360
1984 GPZ900R

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #565 on: July 14, 2016, 12:16:02 pm »
My kit came without seals, and won't work with the stock lower seal, due to the OD of the lower spacer. The bottom of the stock race has a raised area where the seal fits over, so the race can bottom out on the triple without pinching the seal. I'm planning to turn down the OD of the spacer so it will fit into the stock seal.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline koendd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #566 on: July 14, 2016, 02:02:03 pm »
dammit! destroyed the seal while hammering the bearing back off...
1972 cb750K2 brat
1976 cb360
1984 GPZ900R

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #567 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:25 pm »
It seems that only the lower bearing assembly is shorter than the stock assembly, due to the clearance for the stock seal. The upper bearings are roughly the same height.

Offline koendd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #568 on: July 14, 2016, 09:50:57 pm »
excellent info!

contacted the seller of the bearing kit, will get a new seal and lower bearing...
1972 cb750K2 brat
1976 cb360
1984 GPZ900R

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #569 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:19 pm »
What does your seal look like? What about the upper seal? As far as I know, Honda never used an upper seal, and the aftermarket kit's upper seals create a problem?

Offline koendd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #570 on: July 14, 2016, 11:13:15 pm »
this is the set I have..

didn't use the upperseal just jet. seems a perfect fit though, I still have to grind down the ridge on the inside of the  top collar as well
1972 cb750K2 brat
1976 cb360
1984 GPZ900R

Offline EvLoutonian

« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2018, 06:50:54 pm »
Read through this thread before buying my "All Balls" kit.
Many replies, a lot of good advice but not a lot of consistency on the order of installing the bearings, seals, & washers.
Studied, measured, etc., and used the method I thought would work the best on my 1974 CB750.
In other words - "I did it ...   my  .. way", sorry Frank..

First removed the tree.
Tapped the old races out with a brass punch.
Ground the bottom race with a grinding wheel on the dremel and tapped it off with a brass punch.

Put the seal supplied in the kit on the lower bearing and tapped it in place with the aid of a PVC tube.

Instead of putting the larger diameter washer / spacer supplied in the kit below the bearing, I put it on top of the lower race.
The OD of that washer is slightly smaller than the ID inside the neck. I made sure it was centered as I seated the lower race.

The bearing & seal fit nicely in the neck.

The fork stops mesh in the same place they use to.

Now for the top bearing...

I installed the frozen race on top. No washers / spacers, or seal.

The kit says to mill the ridge inside the fork nut "X" amount..  I decided differently.

I took the dremel again and carefully ground each place on the ridge where it held the cup to the nut. Then removed the cup and ground the ridge completely flat. I wanted the top bearing to sit flush to the surfaced on the nut. The inner diameter of the cup is slightly larger than the area on the bearing it sits over. I verified this by assembling the tree back together and snugging the nut down. The cup would spin freely and had some vertical movement.

Then used a small amount of JB weld to attach the cup back to the nut.

Hand tight, the nut sits flush on top of the bearing..

I did all this to maintain the same distance between the upper and lower tree as it was originally and avoid using any spacers above or below the chrome headlight mounts.
It was a success!
I temporarily mounted the ears with the top tree secured and the fit was snug, just as it should be.
Will post more pics when I get the forks back on. 

Ken

Hi Ken,

Are these pictures (previously hosted on PhotoBucket?) still available to view somewhere?
(shows up as a blank from PhotoBucket on my screen here)

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #572 on: January 24, 2018, 03:21:39 am »
If you use Firefox as your browser, there are additions that will allow you to view PhotoBucket pics.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline Erny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #573 on: February 18, 2018, 02:47:16 pm »
Just found this tread, so instead creating new one, I'll continue here

I just got new All Balls kit 22-1011.
Reading this tread and some others I understood following:
LOWER - I should place under lower bearing (order from bottom-up) : washer to compensate different height (based on measurement select 99-1011 or 99-1054), seal and then lower bearing
UPPER - for the upper part, I should assemble it as on attached leaflet : seal, washer 99-1101 and the original spanner nut. OR, alternatively, if there wil not be proper gap for ears, solution is to grind spanner nut.

Is that correct, please?

Additionally, I'm wondering why there are 2 kind of bearings - is there different dimension for upper and lower? The same for seals...

And lastly, something not discussed here (and did not find elsewhere) - what should be torque to tighten it?

Why I ask - I had quite some issues when I replaced stock bearings in my previous CBF1000F (SC64, 2010) by tappered one. Simply torque for tappered bearings had to be  higher than required by shop manual for standard (25Nm)

Here is kit content I received and leaflet
CB750K K7 USA model (1977)
CB550K1 USA model (1975)

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #574 on: February 18, 2018, 03:21:07 pm »
i just used the same kit on my CB500. Your order from the bottom up is correct.
I didn't use the top washer though, only the seal (there was no seal originally when Mr Honda made these so the seal could be optional as well).
The bottom bearing is a different size to the top so that's why they are different.
Can't tell you what the torque setting is sorry - I just tighten mine until there is no play and the steering is not overly tight when moved from side to side.
If you end up with too much space for the ears, you can grind the top nut although I simply added some o rings to the fork tubes to take up the extra space and they are hardly noticeable.
The main issue to watch for is that you end up with enough threaded area on the top of the stem to properly secure your top nut and washer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:06:53 pm by jayteenz »