Author Topic: Just got back from the Alps  (Read 9283 times)

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
Just got back from the Alps
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »
What a trip. I rode a Honda but not Dash.  The trip took me from Austria, Italy, to Switzerland and then back to Austria.
Here is a pic of me on top of Stelvio Pass.  That was a lot of turns....but not the majority of them which I was to find out as the tour progressed.   :o  I'm done with hairpin turns for awhile!

So many days riding here is a link to my blog:
https://backdoormotoadventures.wordpress.com/

1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Just got back from the Alps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:47:37 pm »
Welcome home, Lisa! I really enjoyed your updates! 8) 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:11:19 pm »
Great photos, looks like you had an awesome time...Larry

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:05:56 pm »
Thanks Scott, can't wait to ride with you again!  Lets work on a PZ ride!
1976 CB550F

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:06:24 am »
Glad to see you back safely, Mooshie.

Turns get old after a while, don't they? ;D

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:21:52 pm »
Turns really DO you get old after the 200th...If I had known there were going to be so many I might have chosen a less challenging ride--also I am afraid of heights-so maybe my decision making skills are not the best.
1976 CB550F

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:00:16 pm »
Thanks Scott, can't wait to ride with you again! 
Hopefully for more than two blocks the next time! ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:34:25 am »
Wife dragged me all over Salzburg - Sound of Music, anyone? ;D - and we also visited Eagles Nest and did some up and down, left, right and backwards roads in Alps.

Two up, with full luggage, it was challenging to say the least.  And the views distract you from the road too.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:42:03 am »
Great photo Lisa and riding the Alps is one of the best things you can do on a bike!

I did the same route in 2003 on my CB750K4 - here I am at one of the passes (I think Stelvio) - those turns really do tire you out!

all the best
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:05:22 am »
Welcome back home Lisa.  After spending 10-12 days in Japan outside Tokyo on business years ago, while traveling back with a co-worker waiting in line for a surly female airlines agent because our flight from Detroit I think got bumped to another flight to Columbus, Ohio.  So, Bill turns to me and says "Welcome back to the F_U USA."  The Japanese were super polite and disagreements were not there...they just would tell you yes and then later in a meeting with other co-workers/mgmt they would decide differently and deny having committed to the other way.  We learned to revisit the decisions made from previous meetings in case they had changed their minds afterwards in their meeting to discuss and decide on the direction from the meeting.
Haven't been to the Alps, was lucky enough to visit Rome with the company's dime too. Great city but I was too busy to see much of it. Luckily had a guy there from work who was well prepared on things to see and do and after a long day's work we would ride into Rome and see the sights available and then catch a quick dinner before getting back to the hotel to rinse and repeat the next day. I drove a Renault Clio and it was a nice light peppy car with a fabulous manual transmission. Even had a choke. I stalled it shortly after leaving the hotel following co-workers not knowing the way since it was the first day. The Italians and Italian American who worked for the partner company we were working with complemented me on adjusting to the aggressive Rome traffic and not being afraid to drive as close as they do (putting 3-4 lanes in a two lane cobblestone road with 2-3 lanes sandwiched into the same space coming the other direction. I made up the time after finally shoving the choke closed and managed to catch them a couple minutes later at a bottleneck. They didn't even have to pull over. They thought they lost me... 
Wouldn't want to do rush-hour on a motorcycle there...they drive between the cars and bicycles too... working past the mirrors of the cars with their handlebars. Gotta leave enough room for them.  Rental car companies don't give you grief for and smears by the handle bars on the mirrors...only dented panels and paint scrapes on the metal...
They would yell at you if you didn't leave them enough room. It was surreal driving about 18 inches or so between you and the car beside you.

Yeah, that's the problem riding a motorcycle in beautiful country...need a couple GoPros to catch the scenery for you to enjoy later.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 05:58:05 pm »

I've seen so many photos of that road taken from that spot that if I ever make it there it will be anticlimactic I think. ;)

I've been following your blog.  Nice work.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »
+1 read your blog, looked to be a great trip. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:44 pm »
That bicycle in the pic is Honda ?
Funjimmy would like to ride that road. ...very impressed if you rode up it ...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 05:01:08 am »

My dad biked Grossglockner when he was 60 somethng with a group of similar nutcases.

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 07:38:17 pm »

Oh I rode that darned thing...and about 300 others....what a trip.  You are correct about Fun Jimmy but who can keep up with that manic!!!
The bicyclists were too funny.  They rode the same darned road then got to the top and had a cigarette...what!? :o
1976 CB550F

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 07:39:00 pm »
Great photo Lisa and riding the Alps is one of the best things you can do on a bike!

I did the same route in 2003 on my CB750K4 - here I am at one of the passes (I think Stelvio) - those turns really do tire you out!

all the best
Andy

ANDY!!!!
1976 CB550F

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 11:11:40 pm »
I went over some of that by train..Glacier Express... The Furka Oberalp is one of the raillines used, there are 4 for the trip from Zermatt to St Moritz..
 We stayed in Grachen, about 25 kilometers out of Zermatt.. Had to wait a week to see the Matterhorn. We went by car to Italy one year to Lago Magiori.. Very nice..
Went thru a mountain by train, you drive the cars onto railroad flatcars , set your brake, the ride for twenty minutes in the dark thru a tunnel. Some of the roads in your pics, I remember driving over.
 Was a nice trip..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 05:58:46 pm »
My favorite pass was the Furka pass!
1976 CB550F

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 08:38:51 am »
Mooshie, perfectly sane for them...they like the oxygen deprivation high they get and the altitude wasn't enough to give them that buzz...
kidding.  Yeah, I have seen that kind of thing a few times.  The baseball players who snoke and are really great athletes and fast... I wonder if they would be faster and even better if their muscles were getting more O2 and in general their lungs were working at 100%.

Gorgeous scenery and have enjoyed your sharing the photos...
Not as good as being there, but pretty good despite that. 

Oh I rode that darned thing...and about 300 others....what a trip.  You are correct about Fun Jimmy but who can keep up with that manic!!!
The bicyclists were too funny.  They rode the same darned road then got to the top and had a cigarette...what!? :o

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 08:53:22 am »
It is good Jimmy's usual state is manic...we would have to rename him NotSoFunJimmy when he was in the depressive swing... ;D
Oh, you meant maniac...  ;)  :) ;D
Sorry, I am beating an old horse given the time since you posted this...

FJ isn't dealing with manic episodes, merely grasping the brass ring and enjoying the exiliration (?spelling?) and fun of ripping down the highways and byways.

Manic stage really has one going like the Energizer Bunny, friend who has Manic swings gets tons done in those extremes and he rarely has the swings to depressive in the "old"  terminology of "Manic-Depressive" disorder.

D

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 05:14:53 pm »
 My very own proof reader!  yes I meant Maniac but Manic works well when describing FJ  ;)
1976 CB550F

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 10:54:21 pm »
Hey Mooshie, I was on a site called Road Apples and a bunch of the girls there went on a Europe trip..looked like same places as you went. Most were n rental bikes , but one was on a 550 Honda... Maybe they shipped over the bike, or she may have been local..
 I was looking up LoserPalooza.. Was held in Vancouver on Saturday..looked like fun..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 01:37:25 am »
My very own proof reader!  yes I meant Maniac but Manic works well when describing FJ  ;)

It is kind of you to spin my post in a positive light...you could have been less kind with responses like many might respond with including "smart___", "Captain Obvious", or like a club newsletter had on their final page's std closing paragraph.  Something like...We put the misspellings, grammatical errors, and similar things in this newsletter to give people something to do.

I found it funny, not at FJ's expense but that its slip smacks of a double entendre while it is not actually a double entendre.  My taste in humor many find "unique"

Getting rid of a lot of old things I haven't used in years...if I run across a club newsletter (sadly I am afraid I kept them, it is a little SCARY)
David

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 12:06:47 pm »
LoserPalooza?  I'm going to look that up now.  I plan on riding with Fun Jimmy next year maybe if it is an annual thing I can make my way back to Canada on Dash.  Jimmy and Laura  live there so I think they will put up with me for another few days.
1976 CB550F