Author Topic: The X's Project  (Read 26517 times)

Offline xtalon

• Expert
Re: The X's Project
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2008, 07:03:55 am »
Looking good! I saw a You Tube video with Ewan McGregor and some vintage Brit bike (don't recall what) where his builder sort of goes over the steps on how he archived chrome sides to the tank. It involved actually welding chromed sections onto the tank. Do a search there for him and you'll likely find it. Interesting non the less.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the info Ecosse!  I'll go look for it.  Sounds do-able.  My buddy is pretty good manipulating metal; however, there are a lot of angle changes on the side of a CB750's tank that would make the task pretty tough, but definitely worth considering.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v
2009 Ducati SportsClassic Bi-posto

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2008, 09:02:45 am »
I read through your whole dirt bike journey yesterday (and great photos) and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Quick question based on your experience- do you think the KLM (or was it KLR?) 600 was enough or would a larger bike (say a V-strom 1000 or BMW GS1200) be "better" for the on-road/off-road sections. Any thoughts on this? Thanks and again great read!

cheers
Andy

BTW - how much was the Fwd Air home? I shipped with them from Boston to LA in 2004 and it was $520 but Im guessing its gone up since then. Thanks! 
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:16 am »
I read through your whole dirt bike journey yesterday (and great photos) and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Quick question based on your experience- do you think the KLM (or was it KLR?) 600 was enough or would a larger bike (say a V-strom 1000 or BMW GS1200) be "better" for the on-road/off-road sections. Any thoughts on this? Thanks and again great read!

cheers
Andy

BTW - how much was the Fwd Air home? I shipped with them from Boston to LA in 2004 and it was $520 but Im guessing its gone up since then. Thanks! 

Hey Andy!  Good to hear from you again.  Wow, I can't believe you read the whole thing.  Cool!

You could do the Eastern portions of the TAT on a bigger bike such as the BMW GS1200, but once you get to Colorodo and beyond, the TAT takes on a whole different character and I definitely wouldn't recommend it.  My buddy struggled out West on his KLR650.  You almost really could use a full on dirt bike out there.  My XR650R was a good choice, although a little too tall for me as you probably gathered from reading the thread.   ;)  Knowing what I know now, I would have lowered it, but before I left, I thought I would need the extra ground clearance.  It wasn't nearly the issue I thought it would be.  If I were to do it again, I would also consider doing it on a 450 (lighter and more maneuverable) if geared correctly, although it was hard to fault the 650.

A guy we knew was doing it solo on a KTM 450 and was several days ahead of us and he even recommended that we bypass some of the higher passes for fear the KLR650 wouldn't make it.  In hindsight, he was pretty much right.  I won't say it can't be done, but I don't think a larger bike would make it on a lot of sections out West.

The guy who created the route, has some diversions for larger bikes, but I don't know if the diversions are enough or if you would still run into problems.

It was a great adventure and I got to see a lot of this beautiful country of ours.  If you decided to do it, PM me and I'll help you any way I can.

I gave myself a little carpal tunnel syndrome from 10-12 hours of constant buzzing for 21 days.  Even after 2 months, my hands still go numb, but it is slowly getting better.   ;)

Forward Air was $750 dollars for a medium sized container (which was almost to small for the tall XR) from Portland, OR to Charlotte, NC.  Bike arrived in about 4 days.  I paid a similar amount when I bought the XR to have it shipped from Arizona to my door (JC Motors) and it took them almost 2 months.  I'll never use them again and will never recommend them although they have good reviews on their website.

--xTalon
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:00:26 am by xtalon »
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2008, 10:01:34 am »
Thanks xTalaon thats really good info (about the bikes and fwd air). Very much appreciated! I could tell you were enjoying the ride just from the stories and know what its like to get setbacks like punctures in the middle of nowhere. I think you both did a great job and yes definitely a trip (or one like it) for everyone to consider.

All the best,

Cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2008, 10:07:25 am »
Thanks xTalaon thats really good info (about the bikes and fwd air). Very much appreciated! I could tell you were enjoying the ride just from the stories and know what its like to get setbacks like punctures in the middle of nowhere. I think you both did a great job and yes definitely a trip (or one like it) for everyone to consider.

All the best,

Cheers
Andy

Andy,

I'll be honest and tell you that it was a lot of work.  10-12 hours on a dirt bike.  100+ degree days.  Cold rain.  Mud.  No oxygen at high elevations.  Not knowing what's around the next bend.  Lots and lots of deer and antelope.  Etc. Etc.   I enjoyed it A LOT more after completing it and being able to look back and reflect and re-live it because it's 'mission accomplished', but it wasn't as enjoyable when it was actually happening.  Bits and pieces were, but that's a lot of time on a bike... and a enduro bike to boot.  ;)

But it was a great adventure and I'm glad I did it.  Now I just need to a couple more months to pull myself out of debt.   ;)

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline XN

• Hot Shot
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2008, 12:17:27 am »
Great build looking forward to seeing it finished  ;)
78 Honda CB750K
02 Yamaha V-star 650
02 Honda VTX 1800

Offline acteg

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:48 pm »
Great project.  I really liked the initial bike you envisioned on page 1.  I was wondering about how the bike handles with the wide rear tire?  I've heard that putting a wide tire on these old bikes makes the handling sloppy, but I haven't had any first hand experience.  Any idea if their is a wider swingarm that will fit for a 550?

Looking forward to more updates.

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Great project.  I really liked the initial bike you envisioned on page 1.  I was wondering about how the bike handles with the wide rear tire?  I've heard that putting a wide tire on these old bikes makes the handling sloppy, but I haven't had any first hand experience.  Any idea if their is a wider swingarm that will fit for a 550?

Looking forward to more updates.

Acteg,

Thanks for the comments.

I really haven't had a chance to test the handling as it still not street legal at the moment; however, I'm not too concerned with the handling as that is that I have my R6 for.   This bike is more just to cruise around town and through the countryside and maybe take a 2 up trip to the mountains and back.

I'm actually hoping the bike will handle better than it did before I tore it down.  It now has progressive springs in the slightly bigger GL1000 forks and I've removed the lowering blocks that were on the back.   ;)

We shall see.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline seven

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2009, 03:31:56 pm »
Hey there Xtalon,

Great Post and even better bike.

Just a thought on the mirra-chrome side flashes, and i haven't read through the entire post so someone may have mentioned this.  Couldn't you get an old tank, cut out the sides to the shape you want, chrome them and then stick them to tank with something like neutral cure silicone.

On the seat issue. There are allot of ways to make two-up seats look solo. See Thruxton below.

Cheers
Seriously, insincerious......

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2009, 08:06:20 am »
Hey there Xtalon,

Great Post and even better bike.

Just a thought on the mirra-chrome side flashes, and i haven't read through the entire post so someone may have mentioned this.  Couldn't you get an old tank, cut out the sides to the shape you want, chrome them and then stick them to tank with something like neutral cure silicone.

On the seat issue. There are allot of ways to make two-up seats look solo. See Thruxton below.

Cheers

Thanks Seven54... for the comments and the info.  I think someone did send me a video link to a guy that was doing exactly what you mentioned in terms of the chrome panels and if memory serves, I think the guy was in Austrialia!   ;)  What you suggest would definitely work if I was using a stock tank, but since we stretched mine, the panel would have to be fabricated somewhat as well to fit.  It could still be done, but the metal would have to be perfect on its own (i.e. no body filler) in order to be chromed.  My buddy could probably pull it off but it would take a lot of his time (which is in short supply) and probably a lot of my money.  ;)

Thanks for the picture of the Thrux.  I may actually go that route.  Initially I wanted just a flat seat because I have modern sportbikes and I hate the passenger sitting so high and so far behind me.  However, the slight hump could be an option.

My plan is to have this thing finished come Spring.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2009, 08:28:43 am »
May be past the point of consideration but this was what I had in mind earlier. BTW: I think your tank looks cool all black too.

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2009, 08:43:32 am »
May be past the point of consideration but this was what I had in mind earlier. BTW: I think your tank looks cool all black too.

Yep, hard to go wrong w/ black.  Only issue is that everyone has one... but for good reason.  ;)

Tapeworks has a chrome tape that you can buy in sheets.  I've actually considered trying that route as well, but currently my goal is to get this thing on the road and then go from there.  She's been sitting idle for far too long.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2009, 12:50:09 pm »
Cant wait to see it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2009, 03:12:19 pm »

Dang! :o
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."