Author Topic: Terry's F2 tank rattle can respray.  (Read 15054 times)

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Terry's F2 tank rattle can respray.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 11:41:28 am »
i have set of really garish side covers and fender... when i collect the shipping dough i may send them your way.   ;) :D

that is perfection terry, obviously aided by a few beers. 
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 11:54:44 am »
Perfect man, looks perfect, now my only question is how much Makers Mark do i need to drink between coats?

Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 02:57:55 pm »
Thanks guys, well in my (pisss weak) efforts to lose a few pounds I've been off the booze for a few days, so I couldn't tell you how many MM's between coats, but it's probably best if you wait until it's finished before you open the bottle, ha ha!

Offy, the paint I used is an acrylic laquer, and once cleared, will stand up to fuel spills as well as the OEM finish, but you'd need to leave it in a warm place for a week or so before gassing it up for the first time. The 2 pack clear is a lot more fuel resistant, but if I wasn't using decals I'd be happy enough to just use the rattle can clear though. I've often thought about a spray booth, particularly when I was painting cars, but I don't think I'd ever get my money back.

John, let me know what the "pro" is charging for your K0 stuff, I saw an article in a mag here and the crooks were charging over $1000.00 for paint, plus decals! Good work if you can get it, ha ha! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 03:56:12 pm »
Terry...I took the pro my dondirtbiker paint, new decals and tank trim.  He guessed somewhere between $400 - $600.  I will let you know the exact cost when I get everything back.  This guy comes with many references of doing custom work and vintage stuff.  I have seen his work and it is awesome.  I had another shop tell me $300, but just was not comfortable with the stuff I have seen from him. 
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 03:10:32 am »
Well make sure you post some pics John! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 03:32:08 am »
 8) 8)

You need to get some polsh on all that chrome now Terry, it's kinda letting the side down don't you think ;)
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 03:46:43 am »
Ha ha, it's got three years worth of dust covering it Crispy, but as soon as I've got the carbs and the pipe back on it, it's gonna get the mother of all washes! I was admiring the brake pedal yesterday, I paid 80 bucks to get it re-chromed 3 years ago, and so once I washed the shiite off it, it came up like jewellery! Cheers, Terry. ;D

troppo

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 03:52:13 am »
oooooooooo gotta love the shiny bits ;)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:14 am »
i have set of really garish side covers and fender... when i collect the shipping dough i may send them your way.   ;) :D

Heffay,

Shipping 2 side covers to OZ is $18. Or in Terry's case it was NC (a favor to a friend).
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 08:26:14 am »
Geez Terry, it's about time you got a decent bike!  ;)

Thanks Lloyd, well as far as "overspray dispersal" goes, you're pretty much spot on, I normally spray that stuff outside the garage, I only risked spraying it inside yesterday as it was pisssing down with rain.

I've heard about California's laws regarding paint, and to be honest, I think it's a good thing, and I'd be much happier to use water based paint, when and if we ever get it over here. I already have a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun like you guys use, and I actually like it, it takes a few more passes to lay the same amount of product on, but the overspray is minimal, and you don't waste as much paint, either.

I attached the badges and trap door this morning, then spent the rest of the day re-installing the engine. It's really nice just having the engine back in the frame, and even though there's still a bit of work to do before I can fire it up and tear up some miles, I'm happy that it's looking like a bike again. All going well, next weekend will see it finished and ready for the road! Cheers, Terry. ;D

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »

Heffay,

Shipping 2 side covers to OZ is $18. Or in Terry's case it was NC (a favor to a friend).

RX... you out of the loop, man... oh wait, you were never in on the INSIDE joke!  haha... cheers, geoff  ;D
how was that terrypersonation?   :D
terry was poking fun at my new carbon fiber bits... i was poking back.  he'll have nothing to do w/ my new bits!
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 10:27:04 pm »
You gotta watch how he pokes  ;) I was kinda hoping now that he is F2 Man of the Year and he's learned how to paint that he might repaint that paisley/pansy tank of his.  ::) I can't wait to see what he does to his Suzi side covers. Guess I missed your carbon fiber. I think Terry uses Metamucil fiber. 

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 02:09:15 am »
Geez I go away for a few hours and you two turkeys are trying to run down this magnificent technical piece with yer pokin' and your jabbin', ha ha!

Now that "Paisley" piece on my K1 "Power Kruiser" is genuine 1970's "Psychedelic Art", painted in the good old US of A by someone called Wojowizc, in 1974.

No idea what he was ingesting as he went about his business, but Jerry's a pharmacist, so he could probably work it out, ha ha! One of the members here, Chris in Boston, entrusted it to me and it's way too good to paint over, that'd be sacriledge after 34 years.

Even when I change the K1's look and style quite radically in a few months time, I won't paint that tank, I'll just pull another one down from my garage wall, and let that "Paisley" one have a well deserved rest.

The GS1000 sidecovers that Jerry most generously collected and even mailed to me at his own expense (thanks mate, I'm deeply in your debt, that was "above and beyond the call") are only going on to another bike that I'm "Tarting up" to sell, but I've got some nice candy gold (CB350 color) to paint all the Suzy bits with, so they'll look ok, for sure. 

"F2 Man of the Year"? Ooo-er!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:45:50 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 01:56:48 am »
Geez Terry, it's about time you got a decent bike!  ;)

Thanks Lloyd, well as far as "overspray dispersal" goes, you're pretty much spot on, I normally spray that stuff outside the garage, I only risked spraying it inside yesterday as it was pisssing down with rain.

I've heard about California's laws regarding paint, and to be honest, I think it's a good thing, and I'd be much happier to use water based paint, when and if we ever get it over here. I already have a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun like you guys use, and I actually like it, it takes a few more passes to lay the same amount of product on, but the overspray is minimal, and you don't waste as much paint, either.

I attached the badges and trap door this morning, then spent the rest of the day re-installing the engine. It's really nice just having the engine back in the frame, and even though there's still a bit of work to do before I can fire it up and tear up some miles, I'm happy that it's looking like a bike again. All going well, next weekend will see it finished and ready for the road! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Good example that painting is 90% preparation, 10% application. Congrats, Terry!
Fonda Honda

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 03:17:54 am »
Thanks mate, I re-fitted the chain, sprockets, wiring, and carbs today, and touched up the headers on my old Supertrapp pipe, so tomorrow, (fingers crossed) it may well run again, after 3 years of slumber in it's dusty abode............... Wish me luck! ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 07:21:42 pm »

Heffay,

RX... you out of the loop, man... oh wait, you were never in on the INSIDE joke!  haha... cheers, geoff  ;D
how was that terrypersonation?   :D
terry was poking fun at my new carbon fiber bits... i was poking back.  he'll have nothing to do w/ my new bits!

Heff:
Here's a thought: if I come up with a spare Vetter, what would you think of mimicing it in c-fiber?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline pepsoy

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 06:52:11 pm »
hello. very helpfull. I'm doing my tank and side panels now. 550f. i have a question about thickness of a "coat". i etched and primed the tank. 600g wet sanded the filler cap lid (for practice) and with very little sanding i went through the primer coat to the etch coat. now I'm wondering how much more top coat i would have to layer so i don't go through to the color when i wet sand. I'm using spray cans from pep boys, on the cheap. multiple cans or am i sanding too much? or other reasons? thanks!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 01:05:08 am »
G'Day Mate, well asking how "thick" a coat of paint is, is akin to "How long is a piece of string", ha ha!

The main thing to remember is that the only reason that you're sanding the tank at all is to "flatten" the primer/paint for either another coat, or in the case of clear top coat, (if used) to prepare for buffing.

The beauty of spray cans is that they spray a very fine coat compared to the volume of paint you would apply in one coat from a HVLP or high pressure spray gun. The bonus here, is that the finer you coat it, the less opportunity you'll have for runs and sags, but conversely, the easier it is to rub through.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to build each layer with several coats allowing 20 minutes or so @ 60 degrees F, between coats. Allow each layer (etch primer, primer, color coat, clear coat etc) to dry for a minimum of 6 hours, or preferably, overnight.

Only rub back enough to flatten each layer, and if you do happen to rub through to the substrate, touch it up with the appropriate finish, and allow it to dry accordingly.

As you can see from my pics, rattle cans certainly have their place in our world, but like most things, patience, and attention to detail are two very important personal qualities that will determine the finished product.

I have neither quality, but over the many years, and many disasters that I have been responsible for, I have taught myself to be patient, and not to cut corners, at least when it comes to painting. Have fun! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Muk

• Enthusiast
  • WHY OH WHY DIDN'T I TAKE THE BLUE PILL
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 05:50:26 pm »
what brand paint did you use
1976 CB550K
1978 GS750E
1980 GS550E

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 05:56:57 pm »
I used an Aussie brand from a company called "Paint n Plate", but I think they've gone bust because I can't bring up their website.

I believe that the House of Kolor in the US sells candy's in rattle cans though. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2008, 07:30:31 am »
Terry, your old F2 is looking sweet man! My buddy who bought my old F2 has been restoring it along the way so I just sent him pics of your bike because redoing the tank and new side covers is his next move as well. We'll just call it a little inspiration.

GS1000? I go by 82Shafty over on thegsresources.
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 10:42:01 pm »
Thanks Wheely, I'm just "terry" on that site, but I'm spending more time there than here at the moment as my 1980 GS1000E "restification" is coming along nicely, although slowly, at the mo. I'll see you there! Cheers, Terry. ;D