Author Topic: ..and the build begins...73 cb350 twin Cafe  (Read 17697 times)

usedtoluvavdub

..and the build begins...73 cb350 twin Cafe
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:53:02 am »
My running $300.00 special bought from the son of the original owner. Build June of 72, I'm guessing thats when my parents started trying to "build" me as I was born mid 73....thus the connection to this one! She needs tires (imagine that!), but has new battery, points and condenser...a mild amount of surface rust and a couple small dents on the tank.

Here she is Day 1 when the stork delivered her...er..I mean a green ford ranger delivered her.(same difference) Side panels were included, but removed at the time.

Week one I started to tweek a little on the points and decided to buy an ignition from hondaman. Reshot the front fender semi gloss black and shaved the side covers smooth.

Soon after found a sweet deal on the cafe seat build out of steel from another gas tank. It needed quite a bit of finishing and trimming, but as of yesterday...its mounted and ready to go to the custom upholstery shop for a nice seat pad.

Please excuse the disarray of my shop. Kim has me on some furniture restoration too...sooo many projects...so little time. Let's face it, a day job is really just getting in the way!

Also on order and waiting on UPS:

*33mm Disco Volante billet clip on bars.(UGH! I didn't want to spend that much!)
 *NOS set of chrome spoke wheels with the front disc brake. ($.99 from ebay!!!)
 *Euro headlight bucket from Benjie that relocates the speedo into the back side.
 *3" round bar end billet mirrors.
 *New clutch cable.

Stuff on my shopping list:
*7" round H4 headlight-I have BAD night vision!
*Speedo from 750 (needed for Benjie's headlight bucket as he only makes them for 750s.
* Factory 350 front caliper and master.

Being in Ohio, I am under the gun to get her in a "ridable project state" as my season is almost over... I have intentions of powder coating the frame. But things like that can wait to the snow flies.

I'm very torn on a paint scheme. A couple color ideas..

-The metallic orange Nissan uses on the Z and Maxima.
-The metallic yellow/green Saab uses on the 93 convertable

I am leaning towards these because they are similar to colors used back in the 70's and have that retro look..

Any other ideas for me!?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:14:51 am by usedtoluvavdub »

SSCR

Re: ..and the build begins...73 cb350 twin Cafe
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:01:53 am »
ORANGE! That seat is going to look greeeat!

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:07:55 am »
ORANGE! That seat is going to look greeeat!

One other option..the darker "pumpkin orange" that is used on the Xterra..not metallic but still different!

we could call her the Hooligan Pumpkin..ha!

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:59:32 pm »
  That orange from the Xterra is pretty sharp.  It's a non-metallic flat color, and I think it would look great and really make the frame stand out, depending on what color tank you chose. 
  Also, check the Parts For Sale, someone was selling an exhaust for a 350 that was basically brand new.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:07:48 am »
Last nights work...

I took the front end apart. Lowered her about 1.5 Inches. Just enough to mount the clip on bars to the top of the legs above the top plate. Eliminated the Tach and made a plate to center the Speedo. This is just temporary until I get my 750 Speedo and Benjie's headlight bucket.

One more color option enters the mix.

VW put a yellow with a green tint on the Beetles for one year...almost a "snot" color.

Offline DCopp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:52:46 am »
"S'not" a good idea :-\

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:12:47 pm »

well...the color choices are still ALL on the table.

Tonights update:

New clutch cable. Sounds easy enough. Not when ALL but 1 Allen head bolt are stripped. As pissed as I was after this little trip down "old bike previously owned by a jackass" Lane, I elected not to document this evening with pics.

I've made no secret I work for Wurth. I was planning on replacing all my hardware with Stainless. The unfortunate part of this, is most of my hardware only comes boxes of 25-30. Anyone else interested in stainless updates?

Let me know and if so, I can get the ball rolling on my end to get the stuff. I just don't want to order a box of 25 in one size when I need 5. Send me a PM if interested.

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:59:50 am »
From the looks of it your stock speedo looks to be the same diameter as the 750 one...i dont think honda used different sized speedos on their bikes. so you may be able to reuse your stock one in the benjis headlight housing. Plus the 750 one may not read acuruate on your bike.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:07:07 am »
I was concerned with the ratios between the two speedos myself. I came across a speedo and tach set at a local shop thats a customer of mine. I figured I would wait until I got the bucket in before I made any purchases.

Anyone with a 750 own a tape measure?

troppo

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:10:26 am »
I was concerned with the ratios between the two speedos myself. I came across a speedo and tach set at a local shop thats a customer of mine. I figured I would wait until I got the bucket in before I made any purchases.

Anyone with a 750 own a tape measure?
What measurements do you need?
I`ll get them when i knock off tomorrow arvo

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:57:24 am »
Just the measurement of the diameter. Benjie says they are a different size and I need the 750 speedo for that pod.

Thanks much!

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 03:30:37 pm »
I have heard that the H4 headlight causes a drain on the electrical system.  On other thing you may consider (with or without the H4) is yellow tinted glasses.   Sounds simple enough, but at night it makes EVERYTHING clear.  I used to ride out in the country a lot (no street lights) and my yellow glasses helped so much.  Just a thought.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:59:08 pm »
What you might be able to do is disassemble both the 750 and the 350 speedo and just use the 350 speedo head with the 750 face and casing to make sure it reads correctly.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 05:58:15 am »
I have heard that the H4 headlight causes a drain on the electrical system.  On other thing you may consider (with or without the H4) is yellow tinted glasses.   Sounds simple enough, but at night it makes EVERYTHING clear.  I used to ride out in the country a lot (no street lights) and my yellow glasses helped so much.  Just a thought.

I was kinda afraid of that too. I have intentions of switching all my other lights over to LED to save on current draw. I presume Hondamans ignition is more efficient than the stock points are. Hopefully this makes up for it...?

I used yellow headlight film on my GTI for a night rally I did. I loved it, but soon after the local law was kind enough to pull me over and tell me it was not legal here in Ohio. I could prolly get away with it on a bike though. Thats a great option I forgot about!

Thanks!

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 06:09:19 am »
What you might be able to do is disassemble both the 750 and the 350 speedo and just use the 350 speedo head with the 750 face and casing to make sure it reads correctly.

Thats a great idea. I suppose if I'm going to get a new gauge face, its the time to do it too.

Offline Artfrombama

• Card-carrying, board certified
  • Hot Shot
  • CB750 K2
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 06:51:56 am »

Tonights update:

New clutch cable. Sounds easy enough. Not when ALL but 1 Allen head bolt are stripped. As pissed as I was after this little trip down "old bike previously owned by a jackass" Lane, I elected not to document this evening with pics.

I've made no secret I work for Wurth. I was planning on replacing all my hardware with Stainless. The unfortunate part of this, is most of my hardware only comes boxes of 25-30. Anyone else interested in stainless updates?

Let me know and if so, I can get the ball rolling on my end to get the stuff. I just don't want to order a box of 25 in one size when I need 5. Send me a PM if interested.

I buy extra long full thread bolts from McMaster Carr. Shorten to match the old bolt, run a 6mm die over the end, deburr, good to go.
Halfassed machinist
Tinkerer/goof-off/Mr. Fix-it
CB750-2011594 Sunrise Flake Orange
CB750E2441103

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 08:58:51 am »
gosh i miss my twin  :P ;D. sweet start. i don't know what you were complaining about having to spend so much on those clip ons, they look freaking nice!

for your seat, what tank was that from? looks kinda cool

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 10:37:13 pm »

Tonights update:

I buy extra long full thread bolts from McMaster Carr. Shorten to match the old bolt, run a 6mm die over the end, deburr, good to go.

UHM...McMaster Carr has nice stuff...but they are my competitor. I am also pretty sure we stock all of the right lengths, so not cutting needed.  ;D

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 10:40:25 pm »
gosh i miss my twin  :P ;D. sweet start. i don't know what you were complaining about having to spend so much on those clip ons, they look freaking nice!

for your seat, what tank was that from? looks kinda cool

I'm not 100% sure what the tank came from. I bought it as an aborted project from the 2nd owner..hahahaha

The bars are nice. My only gripe is that they are solid aluminum. as far as this year goes, no internal wires. Once the snow flies, I'll take them to my machinist to drill them out for wiring and bar end mirrors.

usedtoluvavdub

a few updated pics from the last few weeks work..
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 02:23:46 pm »
So, due to that nasty wind storm, I've been off line for almost a week now. No power, no internet..working on the CB by candle light..haha

Lots of progress here with a few changes.

I changed my mind on Benjies headlight and bought an original Scrambler pod that is pretty much the same thing but in steel rather than glass. This pod also has the horn from the bottom.

I aborted my steel cafe seat in order to make sure I got something for this year. Switched to a Hotglass brand prefab one. It took about an hour to fab up some mounts.

Other noted updates:

The frame has been completely resprayed gloss black.

The back tire is mounted and installed (front was on back order until yesterday)

The tank and tail were shot matte black until the snow flies and we go for something crazy!

New grips and front turn signals.

The rear signals are the old fronts with the stalk cut down about an inch and sprayed gloss black. Lenses were polished making them look new.

Other various panels and plates have been sprayed black as they were removed.

All the hardware on the motor has been replaced with stainless.

Extrerior of the shocks was cleaned and brushed to a nice satin finish. the covers were pretty pitted, so I shot them black too.

I am still very much in the dark for a true color choice. I am pretty sure the motor will be all black with a few machined parts. I was pretty set on orange as a color, then one of my buddies pointed out that it would look like a Cleveland Browns bike...Being from Cleveland is bad enough..I needn't advertise it!

I am open for suggestions...

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 07:26:10 pm »
Latest update:

We're still not on the road. While I picked up my new front tire, I got it home and noticed it was a 19"..."drag specialties" application guide is wrong. Correct 18" reordered. Supposed to be in on Wednesday.

GOOD NEWS!

My local master Honda tech (from one of my best customers!!) Came over the other night and for the cost of a few Wurth products and a couple beers, we have the bike fully tuned, carbs cleaned, idle adjusted, and various other little things tweeked. She is running like a champ.

Bad news, there was some sediment in the bottom of the tank, so for about an hour I shook it around when it was full of 1000 bbs and a 1/2 box of wood screws. sorta hillbilly, but it worked well.

Still looking for color suggestions...

Offline walkingchaos

• Im new, be gental
    • Clear Photography (my business)
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 07:38:31 pm »
how about an acid green with a heavy metalic flake and then a dark stripe of some kind ?
73' CB750 Cafe Racer
76' CB750 Frame . . . possible project

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 07:57:10 pm »
how about an acid green with a heavy metalic flake and then a dark stripe of some kind ?

Dark purple.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline walkingchaos

• Im new, be gental
    • Clear Photography (my business)
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 08:10:06 pm »
on a silver frame ?
73' CB750 Cafe Racer
76' CB750 Frame . . . possible project

Offline youngerthanmybike

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:41 pm »
UHM...McMaster Carr has nice stuff...but they are my competitor. I am also pretty sure we stock all of the right lengths, so not cutting needed.  ;D

I don't think he was actually suggesting McMaster Carr to you as much as his theory- which would save you from buying 5 or 6 boxes of 25 screws. Just do like he said, buy the long ones and cut them to size.  ;)