Author Topic: Compressed air can be a life saver!  (Read 6502 times)

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
Compressed air can be a life saver!
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:45:23 pm »
Just a quick tip, which seems like a no brainer now.  Our lovely friend spikeybike was wrenching on a GL1200 engine in my garage when he accidentally dropped a toothed lock washer down into the engine w/ no hope of finding it (GL1200's don't have oil pans).  Well, we tried to get it out to no avail.  After he left, I got to thinkin' about how I could get the washer to fall to where the oil scavenge pump was at the back of the engine.  Well, a little compressed air and rocking the engine and it almost shot out the back of the engine.  I was able to grab it w/ a pick.

So, how to relate this to an SOHC, well if you ever drop a washer down the engine and don't want to tear it apart, try shooting compressed air down the engine to help it find its way down to the oil pan.

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
Re: Compressed air can be a life saver!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:07:55 pm »
your avatar makes more sense now...  Get a poke in the eye - move on.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline stresssolutions

• 4 years on a motorcycle, Time Flies!
  • Enthusiast
  • 03 RoadStar, I miss my Honda
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:22:16 am »
my father in law tells a story about working at a foundry, some guy took an air hose, stuck it "up" a guys butt, gave a squirt, and killed him.  through the pants.  union shop. 

I know, no relevance, sorry
Enjoying life, one day at a time.

rhos1355

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:44:03 am »
Heard the "compressed air up the butt trick" story several times with different variations. But in a way it's good that story is still doing the rounds because it reminds us how dangerous compressed air can be.
For example many, many years ago when I worked as a earthworks plant fitter I was blow drying a component whilst still holding it in my hand with compressed air. The foreman saw me and gave me a right rollicking! Apparently, the compressed air can form tiny air bubbles in your blood vessels, as they travel around the blood stream they "collect" and form much bigger bubbles which can reach and cripple organs like your heart or brain.
On a lighter note, I was blow cleaning my steering yoke one day and didn't notice I had placed all the little ball bearings neatly closeby to where I was working. You guessed the next; I spent the rest of the week end on my hands and knees with a magnet searching for them >:( >:(

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:32:11 am »
Doctors pump you up for a lower GI with an air compressor.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:38:02 am »
  stupid fu**ing  goldwing        ;D ;D

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:33:00 am »
Use it to blow out the dust from the fan and heatsinks of your laptop and desktop (can type preferred, pointed upright).  With all that dust, they will overheat, be too hot to put on your lap (laptop), run slower, act like you have hardware issues and eventually kill the computer.  Do this about every 6 months.  I have fixed tons of machines just by blowing out the dust!
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
I have fixed tons of machines just by blowing out the dust!

Would that be long tons, short tons, or metric tons?  ;D

When you blow out the dust, where does it go?

Actually, there are three main components of dust: first, dead skin cells, second, the dried feces and dessicated corpses of dust mites (lovely thought, eh? When people develop a house-dust allergy, this is usually the component they are reacting to), and the last component by volume is tiny fibers shed by clothing -- cotton is bad for this, and jeans are the worst. This is for ordinary house dust. (Incidentally, dust mites are not generally visible, except with a microscope; they are 200-300 microns long, they eat dead skin cells and live in bedding, carpets and soft furnishings. Always. Trust me on this, anything a year old or more has a good population of them.)

Read more: What is dust made of? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/40430#ixzz1DmBa2lOp
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »
Ok, a few hundred machines I have fixed doing that.  You got me there.   ;D

That dust goes outside the computer. 

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
I lost a wrist pin button in the crankcase, and after turning the engine upside down, shaking, yelling at it, etc, I finally got it out by attaching some fuel hose to the end of a blow gun and it finally showed itself. It was stuck in some oil in an unreachable corner beneath the crankshaft. WHEW!
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 05:47:13 pm »
Blow compressed air into the sparkplug hole, helps keep the valves in their place when removing the keepers and springs....
Also, I needed the help of compressed air to clear out a cylinder of errant plastic media after having my engine media blasted.  Due to some misfortune, the media blaster guy dislodged a rubber stopper I had inserted into the exhaust ports and wouldn't you know it, THAT particular valve just HAD to be open too.  Removed the spark plug and inserted a small diameter rubber tube into the cylinder and blew everything out while holding the vacuum cleaner nozzle at the exhaust port.  Presto-cleano!

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:58:18 pm »

something they didnt tell me beforehand. most awesome and relieving fart ever.
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:51:00 pm »

something they didnt tell me beforehand. most awesome and relieving fart ever.
:D  :D  :D

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:16:27 pm »
Fart jokes...always funny.   :D   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."