Author Topic: A Small Project; A Honda CB92  (Read 53375 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: A Small Project; A Honda CB92
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »
BB - that sounds like a really neat project!  And, from your pictures so-far, it looks great!

I don't know about on the other side of the pond, but here in Canada a 150cc Honda was known by the model designation of 95, and the 92 designated a 125cc model.  The CB92 was an exceedingly rare and now much sought after model of 125cc displacement.  One in good condition is worth quite a few bob!

For your reference, here are some scans of brochures that show the CB92 model in the early 1960's, as well as the related line-ups of C92 and C95 models.  The "C" line was a touring design, and the "CB" line was a so-called sport line.  There was no CB95 marketed in North America, as the CB95 was a 150cc model made only in 1958 and '59.  I have a C95 in my collection and a CB77 that I've owned since 1966, also shown in this brochure.

BTW do you know what "Benly" means in Japanese?

Hi Nutty, nice to have another Benly guy on the SOHC2 forum  ;D ;D ;D  Your right in all you say about the Benly's.
The one that Ben will be sprinting is mostly C92 with CB92 race components in the motor and gearbox.
The tank is a fibreglass replica that I made some years ago and the race seat was made by a mate of mine.
Since 65 I have been sprinting with what started out as a C95 in the 250 class, giving away 96cc.
The C95 in the UK differs from the American market bike in that it only has a two bearing crankshaft, wide ratio gearbox and it don't have the iron sculled head.
I gave up looking for a CB95 many years ago but continued to search for the engine parts to build one.
Like the CB92, the CB95 shares parts from 21 different Honda models and it was only a matter of time before I found all the parts to build one.
Allthough I have not taken delivery of them yet I picked up a set of new unstamped crankcases last week.
As soon as they arrive the motor will be built between working on Bens bike and racing my RS175. Quite a loy of work to do.
As the motors go together, Ben will post pics for your delight :D :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:17 pm »
The Canadian model of the 150 Benly was also different from the American version.  It had turnsignals, which were not allowed at the time in the US.  I also believe the American version had a higher compression and produced slightly more power.  The US version was labeled as CA95, whereas elsewhere it was C95.

Ecosse has revealed the correct Japanese meaning for "Benly".  They were indeed, convenient.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 04:44:48 pm »
The Canadian model of the 150 Benly was also different from the American version.  It had turnsignals, which were not allowed at the time in the US.  I also believe the American version had a higher compression and produced slightly more power.  The US version was labeled as CA95, whereas elsewhere it was C95.

Ecosse has revealed the correct Japanese meaning for "Benly".  They were indeed, convenient.

Perhaps the Canadian C95 was the same as the UK model, yes the compression was less and it had a different camshaft and no rev counter drive.
The UK model only made 13bhp at the crank.
What year is yours and how many main bearings on the crankshaft ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 05:53:00 am »
Yes, the Canadian model had no rev counter (on the C95).  It produced 13.5HP as the brochure in my last post claims, the same as what the Owners Manual lists.  The compression ratio for the 150 was listed as 8.3:1.  I believe my model is a 1965 edition.  I don't know how many main bearings it has as it is in fairly original condition and I've never had the need to tear the motor apart; however, from the Honda shop manual that I have for reference, only the CB92 and the CA95 models had three mains.  This manual lists the CA95 as having a compression ratio of 9.7:1 and a claimed output of 16.5HP.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 11:10:43 am »
Seems like the C95s are the same and it was only the CA95 that was different.
It's easy to see if it is a two bearing crank.
The C/CB92 and the CA/CB95 has a hole in the top of the crankcase, directly under the carb.
If no hole, it's a two bearing C95 the same as the UK model.
By the way, what's your name?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 02:56:50 pm »
Hondanut,

A hole sam, I remember you saying something cant quite remember what.
Ben :D
"Youngest Member On The Forum! Joined When I Was 12!"

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 02:59:35 pm »
I remember now on the cb92 motor that ill be riding with the breather is on the head   this one is on the crankcase.
p.s is that right sam?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:38:59 am by benly- ben »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 03:06:33 pm »
Hondanutrider, if you look at the pic that Ben has posted, you'll see the hole I mentioned at the centre behind the cylinder block.
It's about half an inch wide and about two inches long.

If yours hasn't got one it's the same as the UK spec bike.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 05:35:50 am »
Sam,

I don't recall seeing such a hole on my C95.  The bike is all wrapped-up for winter with my others in the work garage.  I don't have a stove like you guys to heat it up so everything stays dormant for a while yet - I only open it up to get the dogsled out.  So, I guess I'll have to wait a few more months before I can confirm the number of bearings.

Interesting reading the Honda shop manual for these models.  It also describes that the cam on the CA95 was different; probably a "hotter" version.  It still seemed to have the 360 crank with a loss/waste ignition system.  According to the manual, some of these differences with the CA95 didn't occur until after a particular serial number, so I assume the early motors were the same as the C95. 

A lot of people in the US aren't aware that their early Honda models (CA92/95, CA72/77, CA100/102, etc) were unique to the American market.  An interesting and popular model here in Canada, early on, was the C105.  This was the 55cc version of the SuperCub - a model that was my first bike (when I was younger...about 5 years older than you are now Ben ;D ).  This model was never sold in the States, although they had a 55cc version of the trail model.  The interesting history (I believe to be true) is that the importer in Ontario, Canada decided to promote this bored-out version of the SuperCub, because in order to operate a vehicle on the then new expressways (highways 400 and 401) the vehicle had to have at least 5.0HP.  The original 50cc SuperCub was rated at 4.5HP whereas the 55cc had a rating of 5.0HP.  There were no licensing restrictions here, so the 50cc wasn't an advantage - we rode with a general operators license.  No special motorcycle rating existed - you just had to be 16 years old before getting a license.  Now you also need a motorcycle endorsement/license in order to operate a motorcycle - that's a course I teach.  They also now recognize limited-speed motorcycles under 50cc, and there is another rating of license required for them ??? .  In the province of Quebec, you can get a license to operate limited-speed at the age of 14 - but not so-far in any other province.  Sorry for my discourse on ancient history...any similarities over there?

BTW...I'm Bob.  (And, my family name sort-of means "rider" in the original language of origin.  I'm a "nut" about Hondas, and I love to "ride" as my real name implies. ;D )

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 05:42:47 am »
Ben,

The motor on the right side of your signature looks like a 2-stroke!  We used to call them "ringy-dings".

Bob  (Bet you didn't know I was an engineer, ;) )

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 05:57:10 am »
 I like all motors

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 06:18:41 am »
I like all motors

I do too!!!  I even once made a model of a Stirling motor.  And I still have two steam engine models sitting on my bar.

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 06:21:01 am »
I like all motors

I do too!!!  I even once made a model of a Stirling motor.  And I still have two steam engine models sitting on my bar.
have a look at these
http://www.mamod.co.uk/
steam engines i have the te1a traction engine model.

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »
Ben:

That model that you have looks nice.  Mine are just stationary models and you can see them in the attached photo, along with a lot of other things to look at.  Thanks for the site reference - now I know from where to order some fuel pellets.

Bob R.

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:45 pm »
bob:
They look really good!
     I have many others that I am selling I will post some pics If I can find them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:22:03 pm by benly- ben »

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
Do you want to buy any locos and track and all the stuff here?

The newest of the lot.

This stationary runs on methalated spirits.

The oldest of the lot.
This is all being sold with lots of track, curves and straights.
and many accsessories.

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 05:10:06 am »
Ben:

Those locos etc. look very nice, but I don't think my bar has any room for them. :(  Good luck in selling; I'm sure there are numerous collectors who will want them.

Bob

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 05:14:44 am »
Well theres a magazine called old glory that we have advertised, and we had one man interested, he said he would get back to us after he had been on holiday it is now about a year 1/2 past when  he came off his holiday. I think it would be best at an auction.
with a reserve.
Ben ;)

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 05:47:57 am »
Maybe try FleeBay...lots of folks do.

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 05:49:09 am »
yes definately maybe!

Offline HondanutRider

• Expert
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 12:17:47 pm »
Hondanutrider, if you look at the pic that Ben has posted, you'll see the hole I mentioned at the centre behind the cylinder block.
It's about half an inch wide and about two inches long.

If yours hasn't got one it's the same as the UK spec bike.

Sam. ;)

Well, I had a chance after putting the dogsled away today, to peek under the covers and look for that hole on my C95.  There doesn't seem to be anything like you described.  I guess the Honda shop manual's description that only the CB92 and later CA95 had the crank with three bearings is correct.  Our Canadian C95 model is likely the same spec as your British version, as are all other C95s worldwide.  They must have needed to beef-up the American bikes to accommodate larger riders. :D ;D

Bob

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:59 pm »
blasting parts,

theres a terrorist on the loose hes called bin blarstin. :o

the all new barrel.
Ben and dad here. ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:26 pm »
The oldest workshop manual that I have is dated June 1960. It covers models C92 CS92 CB92 C95 and CA95.
In the address it states from the export dept. The translation in to English is very poor but it dose say that all the C95s have 2 bearing cranks from the outset in 58. All 92s and the CA95 have 3.
When we start building the motors we'll take plenty pics for Benny to post so make sure you keep visiting this thread Bob.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:20 pm »
Sam,
      My inspiration is complete...

;D ;D ;D
Ben

motorand57

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 09:24:44 am »
Salut,je restaure actuellement une cb92 et suis a la recherche de documents.

Des pièces manquent:garde-boue...
Mon site:patrimoinemecamoto.unblog.fr