Author Topic: Softening hard carb boots  (Read 65365 times)

5Dave

Re: Softening hard carb boots
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 05:34:03 pm »
To soften hard rubber boots with xylene and wintergreen oil read:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=29707.0
Great tip.  thankfully, mine are in good shape.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 02:41:08 pm »
To soften hard rubber boots with xylene and wintergreen oil read:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=29707.0
Great tip.  thankfully, mine are in good shape.
While you will get a temporary effect from breaking down the rubber. It is something you will need to do over and over. Nothing will be better or last longer than a new set. I am offering a new set to keep in stock while they are still available and affordable.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:06 am »
I tried the xylene and wintergreen oil trick the other day on my KZ550 boots (flipping the bike) and I am amazed.  This trick worked very well.  Since there was no way in hell I was getting the carbs and the airbox back on with stiff boots I figured spend the $15 on supplies for this.  Going to put them back on the bike tomorrow after I figure out why the leaking carb.

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 09:34:22 am »
Diy-carb boots of silicone hose!

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 12:02:02 pm »
Diy-carb boots of silicone hose!

That works too... Now clean them carbs up!  :D

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 02:43:59 pm »
Looks good, you run them yet?

Not quite ideal as the stock boots are port matched (sorta) and using plain hose introduces steps in the intake tract leading to turbulence, at least in theory.

YMMV (literally :) )

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 12:31:31 am »
Diy carb boots is working well on a CB750A Hondamatic. Almost impossible to find stock carb boots.
Have been tested one summer, almost 5000 miles. Diy boots are better than cracked stock boots.

Offline 750Caferider

• Crazed Idiot
  • 78 CB750 SS
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 03:45:58 am »
Try Western Hills Honda, Seems like they have a lot of NOS parts.  Call them and ask for the vintage parts dept.  I think the guys name is Terry.  There's also a place in California called All Gone Cycle 800.660.2453.  Good luck!

Cheers!

Anders
78 CB 750F (Yoshimi)
Just picked up 3 early to mid 70's 750's Hell Yeah!
And a basketcase 70!!!!

Offline mad mike

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 12:32:02 pm »
i tried several types of solvents/etc. to soften rockhard carb rubbers,found success by submerging in celluloise thinners for a24 hour period , less time if they are not like concrete,some trial/error involved. came out soft as new, slight swelling when removed from thinners but returned to normal size overnight, have remained soft for over six months.hope this info. helps.    mike
BELIEVE NONE OF WHAT YOU HEAR, AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE.

Offline Fabricator

• Enthusiast
    • crmfabrication.com
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 03:10:54 am »
I boil mine in tap water for 30 minutes of so, then with new stainless clamps (Mc-master Carr) at the ready; I slip everything on quickly, an cinch them up.  Works exceptionally well, and has never leaked.  Once they cool (You have about 45 sec-a minute) they are hard again, but the trick is to have a helper, and do it fast.  Having a cordless drill, and long-reach nut driver helps get the clamps snugged faster, and lets you capitalize on the effects of the heat.  Likewise, when I take them off, I always try to do it after the bike has been ridden, and all is warm.  They come off with one hand then! 

Fabricator
"When in doubt, gas it. This; to be honest, doesn't always solve the problem, but at least it ends the suspense." (Mark Gardiner from "Riding Man.")

Life is too short to dance with ugly girls.....

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 12:19:59 am »
yeah ive boiled them,its the only quick thing i could think of,as fabricator said youve gotta work fast,have everything ready and dont stop till its done,ive also used an impervious straight hose aswell,we have a hydrualic hose place directly over the street at work,they gave me a 2 foot offcut for free!!you just have to cut it square and even lengths,i can picture the step the fuel/air encounters,it may even create a "good"turbulence ,,im always optimistic though!!!

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 08:07:15 pm »
I know that this an old thread, but if anyone needs carb boots for a 750A, I am making them. I looked for new boots for a long time, mine were cracked and no amount of softening was going to fix that, besides they were rock hard and impossible to get on. After looking for a viable source of some kind of replacements, I came up empty handed. I decided to make my own and have enough extras to sell a few sets. If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll send you some pictures and onfo.

...........Paul 
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
I know that this an old thread, but if anyone needs carb boots for a 750A, I am making them. I looked for new boots for a long time, mine were cracked and no amount of softening was going to fix that, besides they were rock hard and impossible to get on. After looking for a viable source of some kind of replacements, I came up empty handed. I decided to make my own and have enough extras to sell a few sets. If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll send you some pictures and onfo.

...........Paul 

How are you making them?

Got pics?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 04:24:05 am »
I'll try to post pictures and more information tonight (I'm at work). I made molds for each boot (4) and cast them using urethane.

.............Paul
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 10:41:24 am »
does the urethane hold up like the stock rubber does?  there was a user on here that tried making his own awhile back, but couldn't get the right type of material... 
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »
Here's a couple pictures of my reproduction boots. As I said, they are made of urethane, a very durable material that is resistant to gasoline, alcohol, brake fluid, and even Sea Foam. I soaked samples in all four of the fluids for over a month and found no change in the durability except the one submerged in gas showed a slight softening of the surface which disappeared once it was exposed to air. I have tried other materials and this seems to be the best option. The expected life of the material is estimated by the manufacturer to be 30 years, but I can't say that the boots will out last the originals. I'm planning on making the air cleaner to carb boots for the 550 next.

You can see in the picture just how pliable they are.

............Paul

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:03:19 pm by 05c50 »

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 06:40:46 am »
wow, those are awesome!!  how much would you charge for a set?  also will you be making any others anytime soon?  i'm sure there's plenty of people who'd love a set for their 750 K's and F's

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »
Sorry it took so long get back to you......work keeps getting in the way ;D I'm selling the set of four boots for $30.00 plus shipping. If you're interested, send me an email with your zip and I'll let you know how much the shipping will be.
mybluebike2004@yahoo.com

As I said, I'm working on CB550 air box to carb boots right now, but I might do 750K boots next if there's enough interest.

.........Paul

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »
Nice work! I would post these in the parts for sale section.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

bmarshall

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »
I'd be interested in 550 boots when available

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »
I have intake boots for 750A (all years) and 550F airbox boots ready to ship. I'll have 550K airbox boots and 750K intake boots in about a week. I should have 78 750F intake boots soon. 

..........Paul

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »
A while back, someone posted about this using some home made concoction that included "mint oil" or something like that.  I tried to search for it last night and came up empty.  Who posted this?

I saw that thread, and the results are terrific!
I got 16 ounces of Wintergreen Oil from Amazon.com, mixed it 50/50 with a can of Xylol from Ace Hardware, soaked the first set for a night, and...nothing. Then I left on a business trip and forgot about them. Seven days later, they are brand new!

So, I took out the second set I have. And the third. And the fourth (16 all together). They are all brand new, except the ones soaking tonite, which were like rocks. I even soaked the air horn (inlet side) velocity stack boots: they should not be soaked more than about 24 hours, max, or they get too big. They are polyethylene, and expand a bit. I may try baking them back down: I soaked them for a week, too. They also feel brand new, though!

My next attempt will be to see if this can help the unobtanium versions, like the Kawi 650 inlet velocity stacks. They are as hard as plastic. I am completely convinced that this works so well that I am going to do it to every Four that shows up in my garage for a week or more, as part of the tuneup.

And I'm going out to buy stock in some wintergreen oil company.  ;D

It smells like me in the garage, though: that Ben-Gay scent... ::)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »
a week, you say?
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 09:50:47 am »
a week, you say?

Yep. And when they come out, the CB350 boots are going in next.  ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 09:30:27 am »
I have intake boots for 750A (all years) and 550F airbox boots ready to ship. I'll have 550K airbox boots and 750K intake boots in about a week. I should have 78 750F intake boots soon. 

..........Paul

so are the 750A boots the same as the 77-78 K boots??