Author Topic: 76 750K this bike will change my life.  (Read 64572 times)

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
76 750K this bike will change my life.
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »
Hey guys, I've been leeching a lot on here over the past year and a half, and just formulating ideas and really trying to figure out what I want to do with the build.  Well first thing's first is I need some ideas on what to do with the "first step." 

I'd really like some people to chime in their opinions on this, especially the "big hitters," aka the ones that have built all manner of bikes, from bone stock resto's to big hot rod wheelie machines...

My number one thought right now is to the motor.  I know what I'm doing with everything else on the build, ie suspension, tins, frame, etc.  My main dilemma is this:

Do I just re-build the motor and fix the usual things, like studs, chains, tensioner, ignition, etc. or do I go with my 836 build??  I do want a good combination of speed and reliability, but I REALLY want to get the 'ol girl back on the road!  The main hurdle with the 836 build would be money, and it'd take a lot longer to get her going this way...  So I'm heavily leaning towards the stock road and over time building my spare motor up like i want to, then swap them out down the road...

So my main thing I'd like to know is what should I really concentrate on with this relatively stock engine build.  I'm planning on new primary and cam chains and tensioners, Hondaman ignition, HD studs, crank balance, Vox's dry clutch (how badass is that??), Carpy's exhaust (unless I like Colin's 4-4 better), and the usual other stuff.  Now what are some other areas I really need to address?  Should I worry about any head work and a cam?  HD springs for high revving shifts? 

Also, who are the good users on here that provide services for all sorts of rebuilding?  I want to support the forums as much as I can! 

Ok guys, well start the opinions, I'm all ears!!  Hopefully I can get a start on this build in about 3 weeks when I get back from Milwaukee with training for my new job.  Here's some pics of the bike practically as she sits now! 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:35:12 am by wannabridin »
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
Re: 1976 K Build - My first cafe!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:51:06 am »
nothing yet?  man i thought i would of had at least a few nibbles!!   :D

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:13:04 pm »
Well, I'm not a big hitter but I thought I'd chime in. I can't see any oil leaks on the motor and it looks pretty clean. If thats the case and money is tight then I'd leave the motor stock and build the spare little by little and pop it in later, thats the road I'm taking. If you go 836 you need to build around that and it can get pricey. So if she runs, I'd work on other areas like electrical, other body parts (brakes, frame etc.) or aesthetics and get her on the road. BTW, does she start? Compression numbers? Maybe work over the carbs? I dunno, just my opinion. Good luck which ever way you go with her, it'll be fun either way.
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:58 pm »
well building your own bike is such a thrill, and its personal so most of the decisions will have to be made by you. Opinions are good from people but sometimes its just best to do what you want to do. Anyways, it looks like you have what's needed to begin, a bike and a goal. I think the best thing to do is to find one or two bikes that have 80% to 90% of what you think you want to do, then post them up and we will tell you what we think. I have so many ideas rolling around up there I don't even know where to start helping.
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:16:22 pm »
corn,

i've seen your work and it's amazing.  i wish i had those kind of fab skills!!!  well i DO have a goal, and i can see it in my head, so it's just a matter of time and funding...  the bike did start, and ran REALLY well considering it had 40k on the clock.  it did have a lot of electrical problems that i couldn't really track down, mainly charging issues, so that really needs to be sorted.

there wasn't any oil leaks i could rind, and i did a pretty good job on the carbs if i say so myself!!   :D  so if it wasn't for the charging issues, it'd still be running, but school got in the way, and the funding practically stopped coming, so i had to stop riding it...

my main goals with this was to get input on what people thought about my motor build ideas, hot rod vs. stock considering my drive to get it back on the road and the funding.  also to track my build from as early on as possible and with as much information as possible.  this is for my own good, and to help get problems addressed as they arrive, so ya....

so can someone help me out with listing some of the members with goods/services on the forum?  i know hondaman and vox, doesn't havoc do some stuff?  same with terry and MC?  thanks again guys!!

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
Re: 1976 K Build - A lesson in patience...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:07:31 pm »
ok guys.  HOPEFULLY i stay feeling better to the point where i can actually start working on the bike today.  i'm leaving work soon, and i think i may go and start tearing down my PD carbs i have for the rebuild so i can do an assessment of what i'm working with... 

my most recent thoughts are for a non-big-bore build to be completed by august or sept of this year.  ideally sooner, but it will probably be later than that!  plans include:

18" excel wheels w/ SS spokes, '75 GL1000 front end, MReick stage 2 headwork, HD studs and chains, Hondaman ignition w/ Dyna coils, Hondaman swingarm rebuild, euro or "superbike" bars, rear sets, electrical re-positioning to under seat cowl, frenching of tail light with cowl, cryo random parts as needed, potentially entire transmission?, Carpy 4-1 or Colin's 4-4 (all depends on funding and looks/performance), possible starter delete, upgraded/minimalized electrics, cleaned up frame (can't decide if i should take off the center stand mounts completely yet or not, and the list goes on

so questions of comments are appreciated and encouraged!  i'll be updating this regularly (i hope!!) with plenty of pictures!!  i can't wait to get a GOOD use of Hondaman's book for this build!!! 

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:20:11 pm »
sounds like a good plan, I like the what you are thinking
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »
I agree it sounds like a good plan.. Watching to see how it all turns out..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:08 am »
ok, last night, made some progress on my carbs.  i got most of them disassembled in the short amount of time i had, and i must say that i'm quite surprised with the effectiveness of the ultrasonic cleaner i have!!

here's a link to my picasa albums, so extra pics are posted in there that i can't necessarily get on here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/106056913584549886552

now i have some questions:  where do you get some felt that can replace the stock stuff?  i know i need an "A" grade felt, but i can't find any places here in the states that carry it.  i've called the local fabric and upholstery shops, and NOTHING!  nobody has even heard of it!  

also, the rest of my internals look fine so i'm just going ot get some OEM gasket replacement kits and be done with that.  i'll order an accelerator rebuild kit from TAS motorsports, as they have a good deal on them.  How can i check my pump first though to make sure everything is working properly??

ok, here's some pics:

carbs as i received them: Thanks Shennanigans!!!  

underneath the float bowls:

before ultrasonic w/ heater:

during ultrasonic: this helps those who haven't seen this before (i used about 1 part simple green to 5 parts water)  

after ultrasonic: i didn't do hardly any scrubbing here, i just wanted to test it's ability  

and a comparison:

where can i get replacement screws and stuff for the individual components of the carbs?  i had to use my trusty Irwin screw extractor,

to remove screws in both the needle retainer in the slides and on the butterflys,

Also, what are these little plastic pieces on the butterfly rod?

additionally, how do i sort hour these two springs on the butterfly return springs between #2 and #3 carbs?  

finally, heres a shot of what i was left with before heading to bed last night:

thanks guys!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:18:35 am by wannabridin »

Offline J.Webster Designs

• Expert
  • www.JWebsterDesigns.com
    • www.JWebsterDesigns.com
Re: 1976 K Build - A lesson in patience... (new pics 3/3/10)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 05:12:49 pm »
i dont know how i missed your build thread.... ill be keeping an eye on it.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

www.JWebsterDesigns.com

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/JWebsterDesigns

Instagram:
www.instagram.com/j.websterdesigns

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:38:12 pm »
Wow bud I wish I could help.. Hope you get it all sorted out. When I needed spare screws etc.. a trip to the local TrueValue turned out very valuable..
Just a thought.. Not all hardware stores carry a big selection of screws and springs etc..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:59 pm »
well i know that the local ACE has a good selection, and if they don't have what i need, then i'm sure i can go to the local Grainger or McMaster-Carr showroom and order what i need!  i'm thinking of getting some dome headed allen screws to replace a lot of the ones in there.  that way i don't have to worry about stripping the Phillips heads...

no progress this evening as my gf's dad was in town, so we went to dinner.  i did order 4 OEM gasket sets on e-bay.  tomorrow i hope to tear into the accelerator pump and see how well that's working.  any advice on how to check it's function??

one other thing, is assembly #6 in the upper right important to the throttle operation of the carbs?  mine didn't have this piece, and i've seen it on the microfiche and in the shop manuals.  it looks like there's a little u-bend at the top that one of the throttle cables would rest in.  any ideas???
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:46:34 pm by wannabridin »

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:34:10 pm »
two things to check with the acel pump. Visually check it for deterioration and for function to make sure the opening are clear and working on some carbs you can fill the float bowl of the carb with the pump and manually pump it. You should see a little gas come out near the intake side of the carbs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:36:26 pm by cornandp »

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »
sounds like you have some of the same plans as me. gl front end, 18" wheels, carpy exhaust. I got some better brakes to go w/ my front end from fishhead, here on the site. nissin. off a CBR, maybe? I'm doing a stock rebuild right now. and I'm getting the frame kit so I can possibly get back in there and soup it up later, easier. plus it's just such a pain to get it in and out.

that ultrasonic gizmo looks pretty slick, spendy?

you're not planning on replacing that awesome seat are you? ;)

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 06:04:21 am »
haha, you guys don't like my custom seat???   :D :D  thanks for the help there corn, i'll be sure to check that out soon!  with the way the other rubber looked from the float bowls and o-rings, i will def. be in need of new parts for the accel pump.  i just hope that it still works!  i'm sure it does though...

sounds like you and me have great plans huh greasy??  i'm considering the brake kit from fish, but i may wait and do it later, do a comparison of the two so i can appreciate it more!  how much did yours run you, if you don't mind my asking?  as for the ultrasonic cleaner, not spendy at all considering what it can do.  get a 20% off coupon to harbor freight and go pick one up for about $50-60.  hell if you're lucky, you can find it on sale before you use the coupon!!  here's a link to the part: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95563

anyone have any ideas for that part in the fiche???

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »
the brakes were on ebay, a set he had made for someone and didn't work out, maybe? I forgot what the deal was, but they were cheaper than normal. I spent 200 and somethin but I think normally it could cost more. a little spendy but I paid almost nothin for the gl front end and I really want to have decent brakes now that I know the difference. I got used to crappy brakes. but I ride every day every time I have to go anywhere. so practicality is the priority.

I love riding and can't stop. but I don't wanna die. I need good brakes and good acceleration just to survive these yuppie bastids in their SUVs. I swear the bigger the vehicle the more they want to swerve towards you.

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:59:11 am »
wannabridin:

Nice project.

What else have you used the ultrasonic cleaner for? How do you rate that HF machine? I'm interested in getting one.
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:05 am »
I swear the bigger the vehicle the more they want to swerve towards you.

It is actually the opposite the bigger the vehicle the more the gravitational pull.... j/k

actually I hate this too, but it is pretty much all cagers, well ok 10% actually can drive and will see you.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 12:48:04 pm »
you know, this is the first time i've used the cleaner for anything, but i def. plan on trying other parts!  i read that you shouldn't use it for the float bowls because it can cause the solder to break up and you can have a leaky float bowl...  any thoughts as to this?  i recommend this cleaner to anyone who wants to clean carbs or anything else that will fit in there!!  it's nice to turn the heat on, and then set the timer to 480 seconds and go do something else.  when you come back, the solution is dirty, and your part is a lot cleaner!!!  i rate it very highly so far, and for the price of their 2 year warranty, which is a no-questions-asked free replacement warranty (awesome!!!), you can have complete confidence in the machine to give you two long and hard usage years!!

that's why i always have nice loud pipes and i try to speed when i need to.  get AWAY from those #$%* drivers that don't give two #$%*s about anyone but themselves!!!  sorry for the vent!!

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »
After reading your posted, I went down to my local HF and picked up one. What a deal!
Originally marked at 79.99$, on sale for 59.99$. When I get to the counter, the cashier tells me of another special. If I get the 2 yr warranty, I get another 20% off. So, 9.99$ for the warranty, and 47.92$ for the cleaner. Nice! Thanks!
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 10:58:17 am »
ok guys.  weekend was full of unpleasant surprises that hindered work on the bike of any kind.  friends car died, computer motherboard crashed, forgot about plans with the gf, that kind of stuff....  either way, i've had NO luck finding that throttle cable holder that fits on the carbs.  does anyone have any ideas about where i could find one, or if i could make one out of some flat stock?  i wish i had measurements of the stock piece, that would make things a lot easier to try and replicate...  i attached a picture of the piece i'm looking for.  or am i just freaking out about this?  i've seen so many on e-bay and other places that don't have them...

onto another question area.  does anyone have any advice on a stock jetting selection?  i'll need to check what the main and slow jets are currently.  the needles are on the top (farthest from the point) notch.  i might try and drill out some of the holes like Hondaman suggests in his book.  but i don't know where to really start from the tuning perspective.  i'd like to get these guys really clean and put back together so i don't loose any parts and i can use the workspace for something else!

one other thing, what's the best way to clean off the floats?  i don't think sticking them in the ultrasonic cleaner would be the best.  i was thinking of just spraying them off with some carb cleaner and then shooting them with some compressed air, CAREFULLY, i know!  then i'll set them to the factory specs for float height. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:07:39 am by wannabridin »

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:31 am »
Hey Wannabridin,

I recently rebuilt my '78 750k carbs and yours look mighty similar....I'm guessing you decided to go with the pd carbs instead of the stock '76s?  If so, I might be able to answer a few questions while stuff is fresh in my mind.  If you haven't already done so, you're gonna want to track down some new/used carb intake boots.  I don't think the '76 boots will fit the carbs you have.

Good luck with the build!

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 11:56:38 am »
climbin, thanks for the chime in!  i am going to go with the PD's instead of my stockers.  i have a set of carb boots for the carbs, actually got them for $25 on ebay, and they're still pretty soft!!  i'm going to see how easily they slip on, but i don't think i'll even need to renew them in wintergreen oil!!!  i was SO pumped about that!!

any advice you can give me is awesome!!  what'd you do about the felt washers on the choke rails and on the slide rails??  also, what about the throttle cable bracket i've been whining about?  do you still have yours?  or are you running without?  anything i need to watch out for?  what are the specs on your tune?  anything and everything is greatly appreciated!!!  don't feel bad for typing a lot, i love getting good long replies!!!   :D

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 12:54:00 pm »
I'll try to answer what I can:

1)  carb boots - excellent score off ebay for $25.  Mine were hard as a rock, had to do the 'ol wintergreen trick.  If you have any problems mounting yours, you might want to give it a try too...just to soften them up a little more for the install.

2)  felt washers - when cleaning my carbs, I took them completely apart and just reused the same felt washers.  I've since reinstalled the carbs and have no leaks.  You obviously don't want to dip the felt in any cleaning solutions though.  But if you need new felt, I've heard you can just buy some from a crafts store and try to cut them out to fit like the originals.

3)  throttle cable bracket - I'm not sure how you would go about mounting the cable without the bracket.  My carbs have the bracket and I'm definitely using it.  Might need to go back to ebay or a junk yard to find that sucker.

4)  tuning - keep in mind that I just got my bike running a few months ago and still have a lot left to do before its roadworthy.  It had been rotting under a tree for the past 15 years before I bought it last June.  But as I got the bike it had 125 main jets, pod air filters and an aftermarket 4-1 header.  At first I had intentions on running pods and bought new ones for the bike.  But after I got the bike running I just couldn't get it tuned right.  After consulting a few guys I trust, I decided to go back to a stock airbox and stock 110 mains.  The bike runs SO MUCH better now.  If you do decide to go with pods, just be prepared to be patient and understand that the jetting can be time consuming and a bit tricky.       

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 03:47:59 pm »
ya know, they look good and cool, but i want the bike to run well, so the looks can be made up for elsewhere!  i'll be running the stock airbox with a K&N and a Carpy 4-1, so i'm thinking 110's would be fine.  what'd you run for the slows?  also, needle position?

on ya, one other question, any way you could take a closeup of your throttle cables?  i mainly need one from the side, because it looks like i'm going to have to fab up a new cable holder.  thanks for the help so far!

edit:  just got help from bike bandit, looks like the Honda P/N is 16035-393-004 for those that might have some good connections?  thanks again guys!!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:04:59 pm by wannabridin »