Author Topic: The $50 Rustoleum Special paint job - a scientific endeavour  (Read 82638 times)

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
Re: The $50 Rustoleum Special paint job - a scientific endeavour
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:44 pm »
Very nice!!
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:24 am »
Bwatson, sweet looking ride!!

For what it's worth if you're doing a rattle can job, get yourself one of these Rustoleum spray handles and a set of spray tips. I got these items from my local True Value Hardware:

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-243546-Standard-Spray-Grip/dp/B001KZC7K0/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

It gives you the feel of a srpay gun which is way more comfortable and better control than the finger tip spray. Also the extra pack of tips gives you a couple of wide spray nozzles. I've painted all the black on my front end like headlight bucket, triple trees, battery box, etc and it looks pretty good. I'm trying to figure out why a rustoleum spray can won't look the same as the roll-on method if you do the 2 coats and wet sand, 2 coats and wet sand, 2 coats and wet sand then polish but without the drips. It's the same paint.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Bwatson

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:00 pm »
The spray handle is a great idea, a must for next time, my fingers get a little tired.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2010, 12:56:48 am »
Ok I gotta admit this came our pretty well but just a fyi if it wasn't mentioned rustolium is a oil based paint... thats why it needed to be cut with mineral spirits and it also has some ups and downs....

It'll basically never rust (oil). pro
And it will not work with regular enamel paints (have to strip it off) if u decide on another color. con

had a friend do this on a car and didn't know that and tried to switch to regular automotive enamel half way through....
the results were... well lets just say not good.  But for those of us who ride our bikes in all weather this might be perfect.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2010, 10:23:37 am »
Unfortunately Rustoleum isn't very checmical resistant. I have spots where brake fluid dripped and is peeling off  ??? Not sure what gasoline will do but I would hate to find out the hard way.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2010, 10:42:43 pm »
Unfortunately Rustoleum isn't very checmical resistant. I have spots where brake fluid dripped and is peeling off  ??? Not sure what gasoline will do but I would hate to find out the hard way.

Don't think it matters what paint u use brake fluid will eat it did on my duplicolor rust tough enamel.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2010, 05:48:19 am »
I've seen it damage numerous stock auto paint jobs....
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Bwatson

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2010, 11:12:06 pm »

I think brake fluid will eat most paints right up. My Rustoleum spray job has got a little gas on it a few time on accident fueling up and no damage was done.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2010, 11:25:17 pm »
my krylon seems to do ok with gas so long as u don't leave it on there a long time.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2010, 08:46:12 am »

I think brake fluid will eat most paints right up. My Rustoleum spray job has got a little gas on it a few time on accident fueling up and no damage was done.

It eat right thru my Rustoleum job with just a small drop. Now there is a big area around it where the paint (and sticker) is bubbled. Luckily its the end of the riding season so I can take the tank and redo it. I have had a few drops of gas spill around the tank opening and so far its held up good. I did add 3 coats of Rustoleum clear coat on it so..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline stanton.samuel

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2011, 08:18:45 pm »
Old thread... but I've done paint work on boats, use a product called penetrol along with a bit less thinner, it lets brush strokes flow out... also apply paint with a foam roller and then tip it out with a high quality brush, you spend a whole lot less time sanding runs and drips, and still get that mirror finish.

Offline hsr

• Paid in
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:57 am »

First "coat" of Valspar Industrial Enamel "OSHA Safety Yellow"  Thinned waay down to like milk. 

Diskman,

Any idea how the Valspar paint compares to Rustoleum? 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:26:45 am by hsr »

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »
"Unfortunately Rustoleum isn't very checmical resistant. I have spots where brake fluid dripped and is peeling off  ??? Not sure what gasoline will do but I would hate to find out the hard way."

Clear over any enamel with Spraymax 2k Aerosol in a can Beauty Gloss

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html

or better yet just get a single stage paint with the gloss mixed in from anypaint code you wish here

http://www.66autocolor.com/SprayMax_2K_Aerosol_Auto_Paint_p/spm-mix2k.htm
'
this is urethane paint (automotive grade so wear a proper mask to protect you from isocynates) and it is impervious to fuel and is the toughest paint available.... This goes for like 20$ a can with ANY color you wish . This thread should be updated to  "The 20$ Spray Max 2k Urethane Paint Job"  bottom line its better paint , it's glossier paint , and it's cheaper!

Offline CJK

• Enthusiast
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »
Clear over any enamel with Spraymax 2k Aerosol in a can Beauty Gloss

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html

or better yet just get a single stage paint with the gloss mixed in from anypaint code you wish here

http://www.66autocolor.com/SprayMax_2K_Aerosol_Auto_Paint_p/spm-mix2k.htm
'
this is urethane paint (automotive grade so wear a proper mask to protect you from isocynates) and it is impervious to fuel and is the toughest paint available.... This goes for like 20$ a can with ANY color you wish . This thread should be updated to  "The 20$ Spray Max 2k Urethane Paint Job"  bottom line its better paint , it's glossier paint , and it's cheaper!

That looks very interesting :) i think I will have to give this paint a try when I need to paint my tank and seat. I already know that their clear coats are very good. How would y'all recommend curing this paint?

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »
Let it dry for 12 hours before handling it. Don't wax it whatsoever.If you want wet sand with 1500 then 2000 and hitit with the 2'clear but it is pretty grand all alone being a single stage. Lather rinse and repeat!

Tip-if you need to seal a tank or derust one do that before paint not after!