Author Topic: Front caliper assembly ? Lube or no lube?  (Read 36634 times)

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
Re: Front caliper assembly ? Lube or no lube?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:26 pm »
so if you mix DOT4 with DOT5, don't you just get DOT4.5?

lol   j/k    :P
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 05:17:42 pm »

No that's the problem, IMO. Nothing mixes with DOT5, as it is silicone.  No solvents dilute it.  It is a one way change and you can never totally flush it out once it is put in there.  It needs the same replacement schedule as glycol based brake fluids, and DOT5.1 has the same or better temperature specs.  At one time DOT 5 was better.  Then DOT5.1 came along.

The only thing DOT5 still has going for it is it's benign effect on paint, if you should be sloppy and spill it where it doesn't belong.

Having said that, I don't know why DOT3 won't still serve as it has for years.  The SOHC4 brakes don't get hot enough or cold enough to really benefit from the wider operating range DOT4, DOT5, or DOT5.1 offer.

If you switch, be sure to change all the rubber bits throughout the system, too.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 05:38:14 pm »
Yeah, I knew you can't mix the different types - usually says quite clearly on the brake fluid bottle. I was just being a 'smart bunny'. .. he he. Thanks (as always) for the very informative information, though.

I would like to also add to the brake fluid info, however, that to NOT use brake fluid once it has been open and sat around for a while. The good ole' hygroscopic effect will draw moisture from the air and ruin it in short order. I see people violate this all the time though. . . NOT good. . .

TT - how long do you think an opened and then resealed container of brake fluid is still good for? I know not long but I was wondering if you could even go a few days? (probably not even that in humid climes, if I were to guess)

Also, not relevant to most of you (i'm assuming) is that brake fluid is absolutely ruinous to nail polish. . .turns it all gummy.   :P

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 05:41:55 pm »
brake fluid in plastic containers doesn't last as long as in steel containers.
 properly re-sealed it will last longer than a few weeks.
 I think this link has been posted before?
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2009, 05:45:54 pm »
brake fluid in plastic containers doesn't last as long as in steel containers.
 properly re-sealed it will last longer than a few weeks.
 I think this link has been posted before?
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

PJ

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen it before.

I'm still thinking it probably varies with the clime you are in, though. A few weeks in New Mexico, I'm sure, but I bet only days (if that) in Florida or Louisiana!   lol

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:26 pm »
AHhhh rats, I didn't use the lube when I rebuilt my 360 and 750 brakes in the last year.

Now I'll probably have to do it again...  >:(

Didn't know any better at the time.

Good thread, thanks for the informative input

1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline JS550

• the artist formerly known as
  • Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2009, 07:52:10 pm »

No that's the problem, IMO. Nothing mixes with DOT5, as it is silicone.  No solvents dilute it.  It is a one way change and you can never totally flush it out once it is put in there.  It needs the same replacement schedule as glycol based brake fluids, and DOT5.1 has the same or better temperature specs.  At one time DOT 5 was better.  Then DOT5.1 came along.

The only thing DOT5 still has going for it is it's benign effect on paint, if you should be sloppy and spill it where it doesn't belong.

Having said that, I don't know why DOT3 won't still serve as it has for years.  The SOHC4 brakes don't get hot enough or cold enough to really benefit from the wider operating range DOT4, DOT5, or DOT5.1 offer.

If you switch, be sure to change all the rubber bits throughout the system, too.

Cheers,
If TT says its to be, then its DOT3 for me! Im getting ready to rebuild my master so I think I'll switch from the 4 to 3.
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

Offline JS550

• the artist formerly known as
  • Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »

Or would it be DOT9??!!
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 09:34:50 pm »

Or would it be DOT9??!!

lol - there ya go!

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 04:42:19 am »
an old painters trick is to displace the air in the paint cans with argon.  Probably wouldn't work for brake fluid as it is after moisture not O2.

Hard to find metal cans of brake fluid.  Most stores I go to have plastic.  I usually buy the small bottles as I need them.  Easier to put in the tool box also.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2009, 03:51:52 pm »
an old painters trick is to displace the air in the paint cans with argon.  Probably wouldn't work for brake fluid as it is after moisture not O2.

Hard to find metal cans of brake fluid.  Most stores I go to have plastic.  I usually buy the small bottles as I need them.  Easier to put in the tool box also.

I was kinda thinking that too - I thought they went out with those metal oil cans that you had to puncture with the special metal spout thingy?  lol   Wasn't that about the time that Foster's went from the steel cans to aluminum, as well? coincidence?  I think NOT!
(not that I REMEMBER anything like that - just know them from a historical perspective, ya know?  he he he)

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2009, 04:49:47 pm »

I was kinda thinking that too - I thought they went out with those metal oil cans that you had to puncture with the special metal spout thingy?  lol   Wasn't that about the time that Foster's went from the steel cans to aluminum, as well? coincidence?  I think NOT!
(not that I REMEMBER anything like that - just know them from a historical perspective, ya know?  he he he)

I have a metal oil can my grandpa gave me.  Its still full and great for garage decor  :D

maybe brake fluid in a sealed glass container and displace the moisture with nitrogen.... hmmm.... eh its much cheaper to buy new brake fluid  ;D
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2009, 07:59:37 pm »

I have a metal oil can my grandpa gave me.  Its still full and great for garage decor  :D

maybe brake fluid in a sealed glass container and displace the moisture with nitrogen.... hmmm.... eh its much cheaper to buy new brake fluid  ;D

He he he. .  .you want to see a couple of oil relics, check these out:
(The Kendall Hypoid Lube is from the 1930s!!! Think it's still good?  LOL  We actually have like a dozen of them, too!)

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »
Also, TT - so you are the one that did the oven test with various greases? I had thought it was HondaMan (unless he did it to) but if it was you, please let me know - I want to cite the correct source! (that test is so cool - well, hot actually)  :D 
I don't know if Hondaman did a test, too.  But, I did a Sil-Glyde/ Dow Corning oven test and posted a report to the old Mailing group list, probably over ten years ago.  Somewhere in my Lotus Notes Archives is...
....The original manuscript (Ha Ha)  I wonder if I can ever recover that from its database?  Oh well...

Cheers,

Would the dropping point temperature be the spec your test was evaluating?  I found a Quaker State multi-purpose/wheel bearing grease that lists a dropping point temperature of 525ºF.  I'd seen 500ºF come up in various discussions of grease for brake parts so I figured it would be sufficient.

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »

He he he. .  .you want to see a couple of oil relics, check these out:
(The Kendall Hypoid Lube is from the 1930s!!! Think it's still good?  LOL  We actually have like a dozen of them, too!)

those should be on the nick nack shelf bunny  ;D

I found an old hoppe's oil can

heh hop... hop...hoppe's  :D
Project Rina

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2009, 05:19:26 am »
Also, TT - so you are the one that did the oven test with various greases? I had thought it was HondaMan (unless he did it to) but if it was you, please let me know - I want to cite the correct source! (that test is so cool - well, hot actually)  :D  
I don't know if Hondaman did a test, too.  But, I did a Sil-Glyde/ Dow Corning oven test and posted a report to the old Mailing group list, probably over ten years ago.  Somewhere in my Lotus Notes Archives is...
....The original manuscript (Ha Ha)  I wonder if I can ever recover that from its database?  Oh well...

Cheers,

Would the dropping point temperature be the spec your test was evaluating?  I found a Quaker State multi-purpose/wheel bearing grease that lists a dropping point temperature of 525ºF.  I'd seen 500ºF come up in various discussions of grease for brake parts so I figured it would be sufficient.
I do not understand the resistance to using the correct substance known to work well and specified by Honda for this application.
Pure Silicone grease is specified because 100% of the compound will not run, weep, creep, or melt up to 400-500 degrees F.  This is important if you don't want your brake pads and rotor lubricated.  I don't know of ANY petroleum based grease that meets that requirement at that high of a temperature, including the wheel bearing greases.  They often weep and creep at room temperature, in my experience, albeit slowly.  The drop point is the temperature where the whole grease becomes liquid.  Which does not guarantee that some portion of the grease won't become liquid at a lower temperature.
Personally, I wouldn't make a substitution based on label claims without testing it first.  
Dow corning silicone grease not only passed my crude test, they actually provided laboratory test/performance data for their product, not just a label claim.  I've never known Quaker State to provide test data for ANY of their products, only label claims that it meets standards/ specifications.

Auto wheel bearings have lip seals to contain the weep/creep/oil separation during use.  I've seen them fail and then drip oil separated from the grease onto disk rotors and pads.  The SOHC4 brake caliper has no such seal.  The grease has to maintain its physical state for 100% of its content in order to keep the pads and rotor clear.  Pure silicone grease does not separate.

To learn more about grease types look here:
http://www.reliabilityweb.com/art04/understanding_the_basics_of_grease.pdf

I need sleep....

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:29:11 pm by TwoTired »
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2009, 06:06:49 am »
I use this stuff @ work all the time,
http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/BrakeMaint/brakelife.html
it might be easier to locate than the DOW stuff.
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2009, 07:58:11 am »

I bought some DOT 5.1 in metal cans a few months ago.
 Personally, I don't use any type of grease either, as TT says, most cant take the heat.
 As I've managed to melt the centres out of brake pads (genuine Honda) I guess brakes are running pretty 'warm' so don't want to risk anything getting on rotor/pads
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Gamma

• Hot Shot
  • Bike Magazine august 1980 page 71. me on my F1
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 08:43:50 am »
As promised the test on silicon grease SGM494   mil spec XG250.  A quick search shows this grease available in the UK for about 3 quid a tube.  Data sheet says it's good to 200C.
I set the oven to 500C  and popped in a piece of bent aluminium with a blob of this grease on top.  I then opened the oven at intervals and took a quick picture, looking to see if it ran.
It didn't do a lot of anything until about 430C on the gauge that was really 415C/779F as the oven was calibrated and under reading 15C at that temp.
At 430C on the gauge it was just boiling off a little on the contact area with the metal.
I continued up to 500C which is really 480C/896F with this oven. It was now just drying out having run only a very small amount.
I was quite suprised, as I expected it to just all run off or ignite, all that was left after cooling was a white blob of probably hard silicone crystals.
I am attaching some of the pics, sorry about the size.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC02458.jpg[/img]]

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC02460.jpg[/img]]

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC02463.jpg[/img]]

Offline Gamma

• Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 08:55:32 am »
This stuff is quite runny when you first squeeze it out of the tube and it looks like it ran a little and spread from the fan in the oven.  I'm not sure how this compares with High Vac.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2009, 09:06:29 am »
Looks like you have something comparable to the Dow silicone grease there.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2009, 10:48:50 am »
At what temperature did it start to run?
It won't do to have ANY of it run into the pads/rotor.

Offline Gamma

• Hot Shot
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2009, 11:26:21 am »
I am going to repeat this tomorrow with the grease viewed head on.  So I can see it clearly.