Author Topic: 1977 CB550 K cafe racer build  (Read 230847 times)

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
Re: 1977 CB550 K cafe racer build
« Reply #525 on: April 08, 2010, 08:20:28 pm »
if you are going to build a bike you better build it the way you like, and if something doesn't look right to you it has to go, the last thing you want is a bike being done that is perfect to you except that "one" thing. I want to see some pics of the wheels!
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #526 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
I'm going on record for not being butt hurt.   :D Can't wait to see the Lesters polished up.  They'll look sweet.

traveler

« Reply #527 on: April 09, 2010, 09:43:46 am »
In the interest of trying to keep costs down.....I may just sand up the spokes and paint them with some flat silver engine block paint, and polish the wheel rim/lip by hand.  I am already planning on installing some new fully sealed All Balls bearings, and put the new tires that are on my laced wheels on there.

I also got a screamin' deal the other day on a Wire Plus custom wiring harness, that is an enclosed "seat post" wiring module with the ignition key as part of it, and fusing is handled by breakers that auto reset and the usage of modern electronics, versus the old analog dinosaur stuff.  This will tied in with the factory regulators and starter solenoid.   I'm going to do it VERY bare bones, with connections that will allow for easy removal.....I will also be using a small plate with 3 toggle switches for functions such as "lights on/off"; "Headlight High/Low"; and a momentary "Start" switch....no horn, no blinkers....this will allow for using no lights until dark which is good for the charging system on these old girls. ;D  I'll try to post pics of the wiring work I'll start this weekend.

~Joe
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:46:59 am by traveler »

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2010, 08:52:21 am »
sweet!

I don't have a blinker relay. I just flick my thumb a few times and point where I'm going while dirty-looking at the guy behind me.
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »
In the interest of trying to keep costs down.....I may just sand up the spokes and paint them with some flat silver engine block paint, and polish the wheel rim/lip by hand.  I am already planning on installing some new fully sealed All Balls bearings, and put the new tires that are on my laced wheels on there.

I also got a screamin' deal the other day on a Wire Plus custom wiring harness, that is an enclosed "seat post" wiring module with the ignition key as part of it, and fusing is handled by breakers that auto reset and the usage of modern electronics, versus the old analog dinosaur stuff.  This will tied in with the factory regulators and starter solenoid.   I'm going to do it VERY bare bones, with connections that will allow for easy removal.....I will also be using a small plate with 3 toggle switches for functions such as "lights on/off"; "Headlight High/Low"; and a momentary "Start" switch....no horn, no blinkers....this will allow for using no lights until dark which is good for the charging system on these old girls. ;D  I'll try to post pics of the wiring work I'll start this weekend.

~Joe

hey Joe

I need to redo my wiring, too. will what you got work with stock controls? or is this just for custom stuff. was it more than the Honda one? which is close to $200. partsnmore has one for a lot less but it is for 73 and later. mines a 71.

thanks

traveler

« Reply #530 on: April 10, 2010, 06:38:57 pm »
Wire plus makes different ones depending on if you want all the controls or not.  I got the "bare bones" model.  My controls will consist of 3 toggle switches.  One will be a momentary switch for start, one will high off low for the headlight, and the other will be on/off for headligth and gauge lights.

Yes....it is MUCH more expensive than 200 bucks.

~Joe

traveler

« Reply #531 on: April 10, 2010, 06:54:51 pm »
Made some progress today.

Took all the electrics out from under the bum stop, pulled the headlight and gutted the wiring.  The only wiring left was the coil wiring, front brake switch, rear brake switch, points, and charging system.  I mounted the regulator and solenoid under the bum stop.....

Here it is looking up from the floor.

from the front to the rear

From the front of the rear wheel back towards the rear

Then I mounted the rectifier above the sprocket cover

I managed to set up the remaining wiring such that, it will easily be spliced into the harness that is en-route.  VERY basic and straightforward.

~Joe
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:38:03 pm by traveler »

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #532 on: April 10, 2010, 08:18:42 pm »
Wire plus makes different ones depending on if you want all the controls or not.  I got the "bare bones" model.  My controls will consist of 3 toggle switches.  One will be a momentary switch for start, one will high off low for the headlight, and the other will be on/off for headligth and gauge lights.

~Joe

Joe, do you have a website for that wire harness? I sure could use one as mine is all snotty..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #533 on: April 10, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »
P.S.  I am selling some stuff.....

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68760.0

~Joe

traveler

« Reply #534 on: April 10, 2010, 08:32:12 pm »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #535 on: April 10, 2010, 08:36:07 pm »
Sweet thanks man.. Are you sure that tank for sale is a K tank? Seems to me that F tanks had the cover and K tanks had the cap on the top of the tank. As always I could be WAY off base here..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #536 on: April 10, 2010, 08:39:38 pm »
in 1977 and 1978 that is the tank that came on 550 K's.

That's why when I first got the bike, I was confused, until I did some research on the webiste portion here under 550.

SUPER nice tank....I just don't need it, and could use a little revenue right now. :-\

~Joe
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:19:28 am by traveler »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #537 on: April 10, 2010, 08:45:46 pm »
Ah that explains it. If I had not just bought that one from Spikey, I would grab it in a hart beat its super clean, those parts should go rather fast if not here on ebay or CL..

Nice work on the electrical, very clean. Now come on over and DO MY WIRING!!!  ;D

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #538 on: April 10, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »
Here are a couple of pics of a Wire Plus wiring harness.  The one I bought is an older variant...which I have used in the past, when I built a rigid bobber.  If differs in that the old one was shaped as a long oval...and now they have a teardrop shape.  Otherwise they are the same.  Here is a couple pics of the new one.

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #539 on: April 10, 2010, 08:48:19 pm »
I do like the tear drop shape..  Good call..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #540 on: April 10, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »
mine won't have the teardrop shape....just a long slim oval.

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #541 on: April 10, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »
mine won't have the teardrop shape....just a long slim oval.

~Joe

Well if its the same width as that one it should look great against the frame..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #542 on: April 10, 2010, 11:37:33 pm »
I found a pic online.  Here it is.  Again, it's the discontinued one.

~Joe

traveler

« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2010, 01:11:01 am »
Well...this took alot of study and work.....but the "lightbulb finally came on". ;)

Here is my wiring diagram for my 550 racer.

~Joe

Ryan 550k

« Reply #544 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46:16 am »
Hello Joe and fellas.  Joe I was checkin out the Wire Plus website.  Very, very cool.  Wish I could afford that speedometer on the home page.  So as far as the wire harness is concerned,  you give them the model type and they had it stock?  Or did they make it for you?

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #545 on: April 11, 2010, 09:09:35 am »

~Joe

ah, I see. well, thanks. and I wish I had your budget. ;)

the detailed pics are very nice! I'm learning a bit about electrics from this.

traveler

« Reply #546 on: April 11, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
Hello Joe and fellas.  Joe I was checkin out the Wire Plus website.  Very, very cool.  Wish I could afford that speedometer on the home page.  So as far as the wire harness is concerned,  you give them the model type and they had it stock?  Or did they make it for you?

NO...actually I was going to piece together the stuff this time around...but a place on eBay had the discontinued model on sale for 50% off, so I grabbed it.

If you are doing a Cafe/minimalist wiring....it really is straightforward...and now that I have all the diagrams, etc., if anyone would like some help whipping one up, I'd be happy to draw one out.  In a former life, I was a Journeyman Electrician, so the wiring stuff comes easy to me.

~Joe

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #547 on: April 11, 2010, 12:05:20 pm »
In a former life, I was a Journeyman Electrician, so the wiring stuff comes easy to me.

IT's amazing the "former lives" around this joint.  With our eclectic bunch of random skills, we'd make a solid (and friendly) post-apocalyptic biker gang.  (I'll throw my carpentry, brewing and low-explosives former life skills into the batch.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:35:25 pm by The_Crippler »

traveler

« Reply #548 on: April 11, 2010, 01:27:43 pm »
Yeah....everyone has a difffernet and distinct journey that life has handed them.  Life as an Electrician just wasn't cutting it.  Need a STEADY paycheck.

Happy now.  God has blessed me, that is for SURE.

Again, if I can be of any assistacne in wiring schematics, I have all the drawings and experience to make it FAIRLY painless. :-\

~Joe

traveler

« Reply #549 on: April 11, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »
Today I got my 3 toggle switch panel made and installed.

~Joe