Author Topic: 76 CB750F The Wrench  (Read 12843 times)

Offline articblue

76 CB750F The Wrench
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »
So after a bit of wrenching on the goldwing and finally getting some time and motivation, I've decided to start
on my own build thread.

I picked up this wreck of a bike. With grand dreams of converting it into a cafe style with a bit more power then stock.
So I'll eventually be getting down to the engine once I get the frame rolling again.

I've gotten it stripped down and powder coated and it looks a lot better so far.
Just recently laced up the rims and hope to have those back together with the forks and slung onto the frame within the next 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:06:50 pm by articblue »
Eventually I'll get something that runs, but until then I'll wrench until I make it run.
Project 750

Also, another 'new' project 1975 Honda CB400F.

Offline articblue

Re: 76 CB750F SS that will eventually go zoom
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:23:03 am »
Forks are assembled and look nice, and since I've managed to lose a box of wheel bearings I've had to re-order those.
And while I was at it, I've also ordered the all balls tapered steering bearings. So once that all comes in I should be close to rolling around on the frame and making
engine noises since I'm still a ways off on the engine.
Eventually I'll get something that runs, but until then I'll wrench until I make it run.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:16:44 am »
Wo Hoo, I made some progress this weekend.
Finally warm outside.

I hate being unable to work on the bikes without it being nice outside.

Anyway, I got the swing arm back on, wheels have new bearings in them and will get the tires on maybe this week.

Working on getting the tapered bearings in the neck. Before doing that, figured I'd clean the lower triple tree off.

Neat way to do this is electrolysis cleaning. Takes some time, but it's easier and saves me the time of sanding, wire brushing ect.

Once the triple trees back together then the forks will go on and hopefully this weekend the bike will roll.

Then it'll be onto the engine.
pictures to come later.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:44:36 pm »
Working on getting the tapered bearings into the neck.
Got the old ones off with lots of patience and tapping.

Then put the new races in, and stuck the lower triple tree in the freezer.
I'll check on that in the morning.

Hoping that the neck and triple tree comes together tomorrow, then I'll put the front forks on and it'll actually look like a motorcycle.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 04:22:39 pm »
And another update.

I got the awesome tapered bearings into the neck and on the stem.

And the forks on. It almost makes it look like a real motorcycle.

Things to do, and this will wait until the tires go on the wheels and put those in, figure out the seat attachment and what I need to clear / chop to make it look good.

Then clean up the engine, and check compression...not sure if I really wanna rebuild the engine.
Project 750

Offline ksmith0034

• When I grow up I want to be a
  • Hot Shot
    • Please subscribe to my motovlog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 04:58:11 pm »
I'm not sure what all your build plans entail, but if you're not rebuilding the ingine then I HIGHLY recommend putting the frame back on the engine before you put everything else back together.  Trust me, it is a TON easier to lay the engine on its side and lower the frame over it.  There are several threads on how to do it, you'll just have to do a quick search to find them.
It took 10 years but she's finally done!
             ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓
Stocker 2 Rocker CAFE conversion

My YouTube channel HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/MotoCafeRacer

Offline articblue

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:13:18 pm »
thanks for the advice.

Looking at your thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=66225.0 you have some helpful tips.

I actually have a the gordon frame kit. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64333.0 which will go in soon...
Although messing up the powder coat is something I wanna try to avoid.
But since I didn't plan things out in the beginning it might just have to go that way.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 07:35:40 pm »
Another big step todayish for the overall build.

Wheels are on the bike.
Granted I'll probably need to pull them back off to put the motor in and work on other things, but it looks like a bike now.

Tomorrow is hopefully get the rear drive hub apart and replace the bearings / retainer ring on that.
Then if I'm feeling ambitious start making the marks for putting the gordon kit in, and weld.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »
Gordon kit almost in place...needed to stop before I got too carried away.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:05:53 pm by articblue »
Project 750

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »
Man! Your build is looking awesome!!! Love the rims! I wish I could lace mine...but that'll have to wait until the budget grows a bit more!  Love the Tank...  I'm gonna keep my eye on this!!
Cheers!

Offline articblue

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »
Thanks for the complement. Tank is Carpys'. I like some of his builds. However, the inspiration on the forum here is amazing.
I'm always like wow that's really cool and neat.

It's going to be a little quicker I hope now that it's becoming summer and the days are longer and warmer :)

I have an idea of what I'm going for, I just need to sit down and actually lay it out now so I don't spend a lot of time back tracking and so I don't forget.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 07:14:53 pm »
Got the frame kit tacked in, I'm going to take it to someone to weld up though.
My tacks look pretty pitiful.

Good news is I managed to clean the shed up though, so now I have more places to store and put stuff without a lot of junk in the way.
Not that its a really big deal since I can't actually put the bike in the shed and work on it. But it's something.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:21:25 pm by articblue »
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »
So project is slightly delayed. Gotta work on the goldwing a bit, and waiting on a new carb rebuild kit from http://www.randakks.com/ for it.

However, this weekend is a long one so I should be able to get some welding sorted out.
And chat with the shop that should've balanced and trued my wheels/rims and it appears that they didn't.

Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:51:46 pm »
Lucky me, I got the carb rebuild kit in before the weekend. Which means a long weekend to rebuild the carbs on the goldwing.

I was further ambitious and welded the frame kit in place. The welds look crappy, but they'll grind down. There's good penetration and I was pleasantly surprised at how
much better I got as I went along.

So with that in place, I need to grind the welds a little, clean it up and spray.

I decided next to find the rest of the spacers for the rear wheel, so I could at least get that all together and in one place.
Well here's the issue, I dont' know where the spacer that is supposed to be on the left side went to. The one on the side with the drive.
Anyone happen to know the size of it? Length, ID, and OD?

And I uncovered the engine. And looked at it :p The first step in actually getting it on the table / engine stand and working on it.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »
Well it seems that I can make progress on two bikes at once...although it's quite tough.

I have the goldwing back up and running, after needing new brake caliper pistons and then with the long sit, a nice rebuild on the carbs.

So that's one down.

I have some touch up welding to do on the 750 Gordon Frame Kit then it'll look nicer, and I'll take a grinder to it and make it pretty.
Currently it has some rustoleom on there to keep it from flash rusting though.

So the goals for the week are:
Sync the carbs on the goldwing.

Get some of my friends to help with the engine.
And get it mounted to the engine stand.

Finish the welds and match the paint job to the nice powder coat as much as possible...it's under the tank as it is so it's not a big deal.

Project 750

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:15 am »
How's it coming!?  Looking very forward to seeing this slick mo-chine come together!

Cheers!

Offline articblue

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 06:51:22 pm »
1)
Actually sit down and plan more of the build out.
It'll go faster that way.

2)
Plan for the weekend clean up engine, put kick stand back on.
Check compression...check funds for newer hopped up engine goodies..probably will stay away.
May just rebuild motor, and possible over bore a step up...less expensive.

Hoping to get the clutch cable in for the goldwing so I can stop drinking gas with my truck, and instead drink it up on some curves.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:19:54 pm by articblue »
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 06:20:39 pm »
Well I had some time to dress up the welds and make them prettier on the frame kit.

Then I turned my attention to the engine...and here things went south.

I know when I got the engine out it turned freely...unfortunately now it won't budge.

I've blasted some PB plaster down into the cylinders and poured some oil down as well...which is something I managed to forget about before I stowed it away...
Yeah so -1 for me +1 for at least getting into the engine.

So hopefully the pistons will break free, however, since I have the full gasket set on hand I'll rebuild the engine anyway. I gotta setup a work area to do it in since it'll probably take a week to get it apart and back together assuming I don't have any mishaps.

I'll see what state the pistons are in as well and determine if I should over bore or not.

I've decided unless things are really bad, which they shouldn't be since the oil that came out when I drained it wasn't bad and the screen didn't have much in it, I'll keep the engine as is with maybe the overbore. And then after riding for a while and stuff I'll upgrade the engine.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 10:08:55 am »
PROGRESS:

Engine is just about to be broken in half to clean up and rebuild.

Steps backward...

new piston rings, possibly an overbore not sure yet.
And the valves are in rough / rust shape...
I'll have pictures up soon.

Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »
case is split...now to find the stupid piece of gasket that fell in and fish it out.

Now that I have the case split....what now?
Any suggestions. The top end looks like it was into back in 02, by some date markings scribed in 6.19.02 in the cylinder head.

Anyway, now I'm down to the case split, i was planning on just oiling and rebuilding back up.
Replacing the oil seals and putting new gaskets on the way up.

Anythign I should pay attention to, in particular?

Shaft run out? balancing? ect? or is that overkill.

The main reason with splitting the case was the siezed pistons and then just to paint the cases.
And to find the pieces of crap i dropped in the engine...yeah i know should've cleaned the engine before I split the case....

Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »
Electrolysis Cleaning, yay for washing soda, sodium cabonate.

Add in a trickle charger and boom, sit back and watch the bubbles.

And remember kiddies, negative to the piece being cleaned, positive to the sacrificial rebar or scrap pieces of iron / stainless if you have it...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:08:38 pm by articblue »
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 07:55:32 am »
Well after doing some more reading...yeah I gotta learn sometimes...

Electrolysis cleaning on aluminum while it works, can possibly lead to pitting...
Soooo not a great choice on cast aluminum engine blocks. Especially the case internal machined pieces.

Well I suspect this would happen if you are driving the system with a large current > 12 Amps, and have voids in the casting...using the trickle charger I was only hitting just at 1 A.

So I guess I'll just revert to using good old elbow grease and scrubbing for the cases.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:30 pm »
So after a very long break from motorcycle stuff I'm back at it.

Got new piston rings in, and should have the engine back together complete soon. Maybe by Mid March.

I'm excited.
Project 750

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
Re: 76 CB750F The Wrench
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 05:40:04 pm »
hmm doesnt look familiar with me.could someone be playing a joke on you, my buddy did something like that when i was rebuilding my carbs
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline articblue

Re: 76 CB750F The Wrench
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »
hmm doesnt look familiar with me.could someone be playing a joke on you, my buddy did something like that when i was rebuilding my carbs

Thanks for the input.

Yeah actually one of my buddies went through the fiche's with a more methodical eye, found the really big washer was part of the starter motor gearing on the outside near the sator.

There was much rejoicing with that news and the news of 'hey at least you don't have to split the case...again' :)

On another note, any advice on if i don't use the circlips on the pistons, and use ring clips of a similar size? I'd assume so unless I can't find them in the smaller size.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:50:09 pm by articblue »
Project 750