put up with em
speed up and put em in the dust
let em pass and then flip em off
throw things
yell things
add high tech or low tech gadjets on yer bike to do battle with them
slow down to the point they finally pass you
let em pass and then tailgate THEM!

Author Topic: TAILGATERS  (Read 19133 times)

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
TAILGATERS
« on: January 09, 2006, 06:30:28 am »
ok I hate em even when im driving my car

but on my bike there just even more nerve wrecking.

What would you do??
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Re: TAILGATERS
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:36:57 am »
If someone comes up behind me that wants to travel faster than me, I will pull over to the side and let them go.  There are at least two advantages to this.  First of all, nobody ends up getting irate for nothing and causing a dangerous situation.  It is no skin off my nose is someone wants to go faster than me.  Another is that since I am usually a little over the speed limit myself, I can let the person who just passed run interference for me.  Maybe the heat will catch them instead of me.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline clarkjh

• Expert? If only.
  • Expert
  • Surely and Samson are now Co-habitating
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:21:02 am »
Lead, follow, or get the Hell out of my way. ;D

for the ones that won't pass, I pull over, a hand full of marbles works too ;)

James
SOHC/4 #3328
SOHC/4 Gallery: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/clarkjh/
1974 CB550, 40000 Miles
1980 GL1100, 102789 KM - Back on the road after a complete engine rebuild. 
*** Why, oh why, is it always head gaskets with me?***

jaannaktin

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:52:14 am »
 ;)

It really depends on who is behind me...

Offline martini

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:52:41 am »
My brother carries a pocket file of ball bearings. Apparently these can be dropped from ones hand quite discreetly. Not a prctice I endorse but he claims it is quite effective.

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 11:14:44 am »
I guess it's an age thing.  I don't feel the need to drive everywhere flat out anymore.

I did the 40,000 miles per year BMW 5-Series thing (and lived through it).

On my unfaired bike, 80mph is quite fast enough - if someone wants to get past I let 'em go...
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 11:17:36 am »
Another reply...

Have you ever noticed how, when you're bowling along at an even 75 (UK motorways), they come up behind you, overtake, pull in and then slow down.  Cruise Control is useless in UK!  I end up too close and then have to decide to re-overtake them or reduce speed.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 11:43:57 am »
Another reply...
Have you ever noticed how, when you're bowling along at an even 75 (UK motorways), they come up behind you, overtake, pull in and then slow down.  Cruise Control is useless in UK!  I end up too close and then have to decide to re-overtake them or reduce speed.
Believe me, the UK is not the only place it happens.  People do the same stupid thing here in the US.  Some people just have to be in front so they can think they are winning.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

eldar

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 11:45:17 am »
I like to speed up some but if they continue to try and crawl up my exhaust, then I let them pass and hit em with my headlight! See that is the nice thing about our bikes. Our headlights usually clear trunk lids!

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 01:00:48 pm »
i wave them past then there out of my way ;)  mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 01:34:35 pm »
When I'm in the car, I just let off the gas until they get the hint and pass.  There have been times when I've gotten down to a slow crawl on the interstate before the dumbass finally goes around me.  On the bike, I've had great success with just putting my left hand down and making a pushing back motion to signal them to back off.  I think they don't expect such a non-confrontational reaction and then feel guilty about their own actions.  Either that or they don't even realize they're tailgating until I point it out to them. 

jsaab2748

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 01:47:02 pm »
Another reply...
Believe me, the UK is not the only place it happens.  People do the same stupid thing here in the US.  Some people just have to be in front so they can think they are winning.
Truer words have never been spoken. Thank you for proving that I aint the only one who thinks this way, makes me feel a little better. :)

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 08:34:17 pm »
I will put this lightly I FCUKING HATE THEM, with that said I usually tap the breaks if that fails to work I slow down to the point of being obnoxious and if I'm in the city and happen to even up at the next stop light I will usually give them an "education" on road rules and etiquette while behind the wheel.
Now before You fellas start calling me miss manners when I say education it involves lots of cussing and the bird flying full force in there face.
I like the BB idea, I have never done it but my brother has and I have heard great things about its effectiveness.   
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 08:42:00 pm »
i engage, i engage, i engage - IN ROAD RAGE!

it's true, but i'll never forget just about pissing down my boots after the first time i flipped some #$%* off while riding my bike - i'd only been riding for about two weeks and this lame fcuk cut me off tight, so i flipped up my visor and gave him a piece, plus a finger with a cherry on top...

it felt good until i realized how little it would take for him to nudge me into oblivion - nothing happened - maybe i just picked a whimp, but the realization was enough to shut me up for good...

i'm of the pull over variety now.
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 01:12:13 am »
I grew up in New Jersey
and after i started driving I realized that some modifications needed to be made to my car.

my 1977 Pontiac Sunbird.

I installed an additional set of reverse lights "marshal off road headlamps"
at night they were an effective device. only for nightime

another add on for day and night time use
I installed a windshield washer pump, tank & jets pointing out from the rear bumper

with a little button on the dash for easy use.
and the tank filled with Dot 3 break fluid I was ready.

does anyone know that break fluid is an effective PAINT REMOVER!

My boys I warn you only of this.

you will get the last laugh with this, but pray it ain't one of your friends behind you "getting sprayed"

the Tailgater will wake up the next morning stroll out to his BEAMER and see his paint dribbling down to the pavement of his garage.

concider your gratification guaranteed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:15:03 am by SCJIM »
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 01:27:03 am »
i guess you can concider me one of the..

"DONT GET MAD GET EVEN CROWD"

George Hayduke would be so prowd..
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 04:38:20 am »
I like the rear washer with brake fluid thing. Will have to do that to the van.  If some one is in a hurry fine but when all traffic is moving the same and there is no place to go there is no reason to put my life in danger. I do carry a 3/4 coupling nut in my pocket.  Occasionally carry a alum bat that seems to intimidate people cause dont have gators when its there.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 07:27:10 am »
my name is scjim...scjimBOND.  :D
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 08:31:46 am »
I like the rear washer with brake fluid thing. Will have to do that to the van.  If some one is in a hurry fine but when all traffic is moving the same and there is no place to go there is no reason to put my life in danger. I do carry a 3/4 coupling nut in my pocket.  Occasionally carry a alum bat that seems to intimidate people cause dont have gators when its there.
              Terry

I hate to be a wet blanket, but it seems like a device spraying brake fluid like that would get some on your car, too.  Especially a van.  There's a lot of burbling behind cars.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 11:55:05 am »
I have to admit I did have to fix my own paint at one point.

but that car was a P.O.S. anyway wasnt like i had a fiew grand into it.

so when i noticed my paint was "showing" signs of dammage.

I just Knew my gadjet had done its job.
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

ElCheapo

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 08:19:36 pm »
I hate tail gaters mostly on a bike. I toss old lug nuts  ;D. Have only had to do it but a few times, but I keep my trusty collection ready. Once on Pacific Coast Highway 101 I ended up kicking the crap out of a door and breaking a window on an MG that just insisted on being in my lane.

It was a funny story to tell when CHP arrived  ;D

In the car with a trailer I fade back, smile and give'em the finger. Not good really as my Photography business number is ALL OVER THE car.  ::) No complaints so far. ;D If they are close enough I yell out the window and clarify for the dumb ones.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:23:34 pm by ElCheapo »

ElCheapo

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 08:25:54 pm »

Terry

Nothing like a windshield washer fuild sprayer rigged to spray trans fluid into the intake of your vehicle. Cleans the valves and upper end nicely  ;D and makes a cloud only tought of in war times  ;D

Offline 8 Track

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 cb750
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 12:40:23 pm »
This thread has struck a sore spot with me.  I wave them to pass when there's room.  When it's a twisty road and I have to pull off, I do, but I hate doing that.  But one time, I was already pissed off and that s.o.b. in the Saturn rode my ass much too close for too long.  I pulled over and let him pass, but then I ran up on his ass.  He brake checked me and I almost ate up his back bumper.  I had my wife on the back of the bike and I put her life in danger along with mine.  I am just as ashamed today as the day I did it.  Next time, I will remind myself of that stupid stunt I pulled and just let them pass.  If it bothers me too much, I will take care of matters at the next traffic light.  Maturity is definitely a much needed trait on a bike.  I'm afraid lug nuts and the like will just get me run off the road.  I always ride five over the speed limit and sometimes, I just speed up to about 30 over the limit to put some distance between the jackass and me.
My dog loves me for the person I try to be.  Either that or he's hungry.

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 02:28:40 pm »
We have a lot of "P" users in this country..(New Zealand)..pure methamphetamine...

I have stopped flipping people off and giving them
their parentage at the lights for this reason. The P users weapon of choice is firstly the katana sword, closely followed by
the hatchet and claw hammer. The drug makes them crazy and super aggressive as i'm sure you all know.

You just never know who your picking.  There has been some very ugly sh*t happen in this country.

1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline 8 Track

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 cb750
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 02:45:19 pm »
You're right.  When they pass, they're out of my life.  I just need to grow up a little.
My dog loves me for the person I try to be.  Either that or he's hungry.