Author Topic: ULTRAsonic Cleaner and Carbs  (Read 31498 times)

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
Re: ULTRAsonic Cleaner and Carbs
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »
hell ya it does!!!  and what it doesn't get out in the first try, i can get some q-tips and pipe cleaners and scrape out.  then if i can't get that out of there, throw it in the soda blaster!  hopefully after a all that, they come out looking BRAND NEW!!! 
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 04:46:13 pm »
Yep, there was some guy here advertising an Ultrasound cleaning for a couple of hundred bucks with no parts, just strip and clean.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:49 am »
I had paid 50$ to have a set of injectors ultrasonic-cleaned. I wonder if it's the same type of machine that does it?

Oh, BTW... triple thumbs up for the HF cleaner!
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »
the industrial units are a lot bigger and get get a lot hotter.  plus they can fine tune the frequency so they can really "dig" into some dirt and grime in complex pieces, like a cylinder head or something of that nature.  a good media blast followed by a good dip in the US cleaner will really keep things clean!  i'm putting the finishing touches on my soda blast cabinet as we speak!! 

Offline CB750Ken8

• I wanna ride...I wanna ride......Rawr MUST RIDE!
  • Enthusiast
  • It's looking better everyday...jones'n to ride!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
Just got HF's US cleaner and was wondering aside from the float bowl any other parts that should NOT be put in the US cleaner, or could I just put the whole Carb in the cleaner after a SG soak, minus the float bowl of course?
78' CB750 K8

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 07:09:59 am »
i ended up putting the bowls in the cleaner and i've seen no problems yet.  my carbs had other issues, but this wasn't one of them.  i need to do another test on them with some gas or carb cleaner

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:16 am »
My girlfriend bought me my first SOHC a few years ago.  When we pulled the carbs off the new bike, she suggested I use hot water and Dr. Bronners' soap in the kitchen sink (yes, I love her).  I was impressed with how well it worked.  I got an ultrasonic cleaner from my Dad when he passed away and I finally got to try it out on some Guzzi carbs.  I used 180° water and Dr. Bronners.  I got the same results that the Simple Green provided (looking at the pics).  There was the bonus of a lovely lavender scent as well.
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline CB750Ken8

• Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 09:31:50 am »
starting up the bike and the garage smells like lavender and petrol? mmmm engine auroma therapy I like it! Well I'm giving the US cleaner and float bowls a try.
78' CB750 K8

Offline DrWatsonII

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »
If you use distilled water instead of tap water it will work a lot better.  ;)

Offline HAIRHEAD

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 05:50:54 pm »
Just got HF's US cleaner and was wondering aside from the float bowl any other parts that should NOT be put in the US cleaner, or could I just put the whole Carb in the cleaner after a SG soak, minus the float bowl of course?
all should be fine/great in the ultrasonic including the bowls,but leave the floats OUT of the ultrasonic!!
CHEERS
77 R100/7 cafe,75 CB550 caffeinated,74 CB450(520)TWIN, 73TX650,72 CB750,72 CB350 TWIN,75 XL100,

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 06:22:01 pm »
I used a concentrate orange degreaser and..frigging carbs were squeaky clean. The biggest thing about the ultrasonic is the positioning. You cant just drop junk in an expect magic. I suspended right above the sweet spot and got immediate results. ( I am the guy that likes to just stand over the ultrasonic and say "Look at all that stuff coming out of the threads!!") Worth every penny. There are machines as big as kitchen sinks. Make $$$$

Offline CB750Ken8

• Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:39 am »
Ummm why leave the floats out of the us cleaner??  :-[ Considering I did put them in the cleaner....
78' CB750 K8

daveythewavey19

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »
I cleaned out my bowls in a big ultrasonic cleaner at work. Ultrasonic cleaning cannot be beat if you have access to it.

redbullssg

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2010, 10:05:19 am »
I have been thinking of getting one also.  I remember in art class having one to clean the airbrushes and other tiny parts out.  I was amazed how it would work stuff out of the tiniest of places...  I will probably buy one soon. 

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 09:34:57 am »
If you use distilled water instead of tap water it will work a lot better.  ;)

Just curious, why is that? The mineral & chlorine in tap water is bad?

Ummm why leave the floats out of the us cleaner??  :-[ Considering I did put them in the cleaner....

My understanding it's b/c of the overflow tube is soldered/brazed into the bowl. The tube vibrates (cantilever beam) and cracks the solder/braze or the tube itself, causing the bowl to leak.
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline CB750Ken8

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 12:53:47 pm »
Well I finally put some fuel in the bowls and 1,2, and 3 leaked but not out the tubes they leaked out the sides or so I think it could just have been a total over flow since the bike was on the side stand, and it was on an incline, or the gaskets are just dead I didn't replace them..probably should have and probably will.
78' CB750 K8

Offline vern401

• Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 02:44:47 am »
On one of the other forums they are saying to use Pine-Sol to clean the carbs. Has anyone tried this with an ultrasonic? I tried the pine-sol itself and it seems to work ok so far. it even cleaned out the rear caliper on my SS.
1972 SL350
1978 750F SS
1979 XC500 Custom
1991 ZX600C4 Ninja
1982 KZ550C-3

Offline CB750Ken8

• Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 08:23:49 am »
I haven't tried pine-sol nut for sure Simple green does a good job, fire it up and I was literally watching the black crud on my carbs plume up and turn the water mix black in a matter of seconds, I'll at least say that it must have gotten into some of the small orifices and cleaned em, bike used to have idle at 1400 with choke on for about 10mins now choke only needs to be on to start it for 1min and then the choke can go off and it idles very smoothly at 1000 rpm.
78' CB750 K8

Offline vern401

• Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »
If you try Pine-Sol in it will you let me know how well it does or does not work?
I dont have an ultrasonic Yet.
1972 SL350
1978 750F SS
1979 XC500 Custom
1991 ZX600C4 Ninja
1982 KZ550C-3

Offline kck3

• Hot Shot
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
So when you guys are using the ultrasonic, are you removing the jets?  Or just taking off the bowls and removing the floats and letting the rest of the entire carb be cleaned in the ultrasonic?

Offline highcomp

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:41 pm »
Few weeks ago got the HF 2.5L ultrasonic cleaner. Disassembled badly corroded and stuck carbs from '76 750A. Of a day i soaked all the parts in a solution of Gunk carb cleaner ($25/gal) and hot water 50/50 to help break up some of the dried and tar like fuel. This bike had been sitting with a ful tank of fuel since May 1977. With the ol' ladys toothbrush the loosened varnish and dirt then cleaned everything in a Dawn dishsoap solution and rinsed in clean water. Put pure Gunk into a ziplock bag with a carb body (slide stuck inside) and squeezed out all the air. Put that in ultrasoniic cleaner and filled to the full line of cleaner with water. It took 3 cycles of about 4 minutes each with tank heater on to free the slide. The passages were all spotless and the carb body only needed a cleaning by hand in Dawn then clean water. I did the other parts the same way, everything looks like i spent much time and detail work. There was NO DAMAGE to any parts. Id say it is the easiest, fastest  best carb cleaning method i've ever used.  Next up is zylene and marvel mystery oil to see if the carb boots will become as new.

Offline sikopal

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 06:00:29 am »
Have a Bransonic commercial grade ultrasonic cleaner that can do a complete in-line four rack at once (disassembled of course). It heats to 165 degrees and has a full range of adjustability in terms of time, heat and cavitation. Because it is dedicated to be used as a carb cleaner I only use Omega Clean as a solvent (i'm not an employee or salesperson, have just been very pleased with the results)as it contains no acids, as well as using only distilled water.
Have heard alot from members about how effective the HF units are and can only smile when I read the responses as I owned one many years ago and it was garbage. A buddy bought one last year for $60, thought he was getting a bargain and ended up really dissatisified with the results as well. Yes they clean to a point but without high heat and a really powerful cavitation you're really only getting superficial results.
A simple test of a units effectiveness is the tin foil test. Take a small piece of 3" x 5" foil wrap it over a piece of wood dowel and hang it into the ultrasonic unit, set the unit on full power/heat (if you have it) and run it for a 60 sec test. A properly functioning USC will dimple the foil and a commercial level unit will make it look like its been shot with bird shot (holes and all). The HF unit will barely make a mark in the foil.
Many of the solvents members are using as cleaning agents contain acid and will breakdown the surface of the carb and lead to excessive oxidation and eventual deterioration. Always use a cleaner formulated to be used with aluminum otherwise flash rusting and contamination of the metal will occur with acid based cleaners.
Been reading as well to "never put metal float bowls into a heated USC" or it breaks down the bond of the overflow tube". Been doing carb service/rebuilds/cleaning for over 20 years and have never had 1 carb come back with leaking tubes. We leak test all tubes before and after cleaning and the only ones that leaked after cleaning leaked before they were cleaned.
Hope this information was helpful, if any members have questions about USC or my services feel free to send me a PM and would be happy to help in any way
Steve
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline MaxP

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2016, 12:32:52 am »
Hi I did my Ultrasonic cleaning and the result is the same I have seen in some other posts.
I did have a noticeable difference between the carb body and the covers. (see pictures)
Does anyone has an explanation for it?

Have anyone suggestion to make the cars shining ?

Max