Author Topic: Transistorized Ignitions, aka Hondaman Ignition in Dual, Single, and now Triple!  (Read 123685 times)

Offline Skud

..thanks Mark.... re timing mark jitters, I 'll check out that centre bolt for runout...certainly gave it a few tweeks backwards so I could come up to the timing mark again to check the static timing with the light etc...

...so I wont need the security switch then thanks...

..and I couldn't find any reference to Loonymoon in the posts except in nominations for bike of the month....would you be kind enough to advise me as to where I can find the pictures of her setup with the transistor location...thanks

..ok .I'll head back to the top and put my order in ...amd where can I find a summary of the content of your book ?...may well be interested in one of these also..

cheers.....

Offline Spiider

• Enthusiast
  • '73 CB750k
I sent payment just now. Cant wait to try it out!

Offline spotthedogg

Got mine in the CB360 Mark, Thanks.

Offline CB400fss

Is there any chance you would share your Circuit Diagram and parts list for those who would like to build it them selves ?? , I also have a number of other designs that I am happy to share, Just interested in seeing how yours is done

Allan

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Is there any chance you would share your Circuit Diagram and parts list for those who would like to build it them selves ?? , I also have a number of other designs that I am happy to share, Just interested in seeing how yours is done

Allan
Well, I can't share mine, exactly, as my patent attorney would likely shoot me (with the TCP .380 that he carries, like mine...) after all he went through with me on it. You can find something similar in the Velleman kit they sell in Europe, though. It's a little more generic: mine is 'adjusted' to meet the specific requirements of these bikes' coils and points performance issues. Some of our SOHC4 Netherlands riders have adapted the Velleman version into a dual setup: if I could figure out how to make the Google search engine work better, I could point you to his posts from 2005, when I was developing ours. There is a gigantic, 25-page post of the chronology of the development that we did with this gizmo, and his contributions are in the midst of it, somewhere. Specifically, he adapted it to a CB500, said it worked good enough to satisfy his commuting requirements.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline vames

• Expert
Hi Mark --

I'm interested both a hinge pin and a headlight relay kit (if you're still making them). Let me know or send me a PM.

Offline maxspeed140

Just installed mine today on my 77 750F2. Very easy, good instructions, runs great. Thanks HondaMan!

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
Could you make one for a Kawasaki H1A (points model triple)?  :-\
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Could you make one for a Kawasaki H1A (points model triple)?  :-\

Sure, and for the hearty Suzy triples of the 2-stroke multi era, and the ill-fated Yamaha triple 750 (that uses the same points as the CB750). They just cost a little more, and I need a picture or two from your bike so I can match up the connectors correctly. Drop me a PM at my home e-mail so we can trade pictures: mgparis@concentric.net.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline CJK

• Enthusiast
Hey HondaMan, huge fan of what you do here for all of us. Are both the transistorized ignitions and gas cap hinge pins still available for purchase?

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Hey HondaMan, huge fan of what you do here for all of us. Are both the transistorized ignitions and gas cap hinge pins still available for purchase?
Yep!
Drop me a note at mgparis@concentric.net for more info. I'm making another batch now.

Offline CJK

• Enthusiast
PM'd

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
Mark: just received the transistorized ignition and fuse block.  Thank you so much I can't wait to install them. 
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline Prospect

• Expert
Re: Transistorized Ignitions, aka Hondaman Ignition...and Gas Cap Hinge Pins.
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »
Installed the transistorized ignition on my K1 yesterday.  Bike suddenly came to life and starts well when cold.  Idles beautifully too.

I initially ordered it for my cb350f but decided to put it on the cb750k1.  I found the wires to be a bit short possibly because it was made for a much smaller bike (not sure if they are all the same or the wires are cut to specific CB's).  I made it work by mounting it on the top of the airbox.  Hardly visible. 
Current Bikes

1969 CB750  Sandcast #256
1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing
1954 Harley Davidson Panhead
1957 Harley Davidson Panhead

Toronto Canada

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2011, 09:06:04 am »
Installed the transistorized ignition on my K1 yesterday.  Bike suddenly came to life and starts well when cold.  Idles beautifully too.

I initially ordered it for my cb350f but decided to put it on the cb750k1.  I found the wires to be a bit short possibly because it was made for a much smaller bike (not sure if they are all the same or the wires are cut to specific CB's).  I made it work by mounting it on the top of the airbox.  Hardly visible. 

This sounds like you connected the Blue/Yellow/Violet/Orange wires at the coils, and not at the points plate junction. If you install that way, yes, the wires are too short. It is intended that you should be able to unplug the wires at the top right rear of the engine, where the point plate plugs into the main harness, to make the 'instant disconnect" feature available if you ever decide to switch back.

So, the Black wire does connect at the coils, and the Green wire on the points plate, but the other 4 should connect at the junction that is just in front of the oil tank, where you will find the points-plate wires. ;)

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2011, 10:44:19 pm »
Just ordered a set of your rocker arm shafts!  Now I just need to build my dang motor!!

Thanks for the amazing products, I think I have most of what you make, haha!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline keelhaul

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »
Hello,

I'm about to order a batch of stuff for my cb500, including the HondaMan ignition. I see some older threads talking about a version with a built-in timing light, did that ever get made?

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
Hello,

I'm about to order a batch of stuff for my cb500, including the HondaMan ignition. I see some older threads talking about a version with a built-in timing light, did that ever get made?

The LED timing light will be/is an add-on device (when I get it to a production stage) for the Transistorized Ignition. It's my #1 winter development project for this winter. Cree came out with LEDs that are finally going to be fast enough and bright enough to make it work outside. So far, it had to be inside, even in a dark garage, for the LED to be visible enough at engine speeds. It was actually worse than the old neon timing lights (and those were terrible)!

Offline keelhaul

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2011, 11:04:21 pm »
Excellent, this means I shouldn't need a timing strobe then? My timing is good now and once I get the transistorized ignition in I should only need minute, very infrequent adjustments, correct?

Really excited to try this out!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:12 pm »
Excellent, this means I shouldn't need a timing strobe then? My timing is good now and once I get the transistorized ignition in I should only need minute, very infrequent adjustments, correct?

Really excited to try this out!

Actually, if your points are presently bedded in, I seriously doubt you will ever have to adjust them again. So far, that has been the results of this gizmo. Some of these boxes have upwards of 20k miles on them now (that I know about), with no points adjustments. I have only heard of 2 riders who adjusted them after installing it, some time later.

Offline voscerote

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:20 am »
are you still making these ignitions, hondaman? this was an older thread so i wasn't sure.  i have a 1974 cb550 that i'm trying to get roadworthy.  would like to convert the points ignition at some time...

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »
are you still making these ignitions, hondaman? this was an older thread so i wasn't sure.  i have a 1974 cb550 that i'm trying to get roadworthy.  would like to convert the points ignition at some time...

Oh, yeah...just made another batch. This time of year they go quick! Drop me a PM for details, or go to my website if you need to use Paypal (website is shown below in the messages).

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2012, 06:26:27 pm »
Just wanted to say that I installed the Transistorized ignition and it is wonderful.  I am a female and now my CB550 starts on the first kick every time....even cold.  Thank you so much for offering such a wonderful product. Once of the best upgrades I ever made.

If you are wondering if you should get one, don't waste your time wondering....buy it now.
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline michael_brown

• it is what it is
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2012, 06:32:30 pm »
are you still making the gas cap hinge pin kits?  your website says that it's unavailable in the quantity requested.  I only need one kit for a build I'm doing. 

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:52 am »
IS there an actual HondaMan website??? What is the URL??