Author Topic: 77 CB750remodelK  (Read 4817 times)

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
77 CB750remodelK
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:51:07 pm »
OK. So I'm finally going to post a build thread for a 77K that I picked up a few months ago for 300$. In complete condition, even exhaust was original. With 18k on the clock. A tree had fallen NEAR it, whilst a branch managed to bend the guage bracket and destroy the speedo, but otherwise good condition. Even the tires were in decent condition. The starter switch wasnt working, but the engine did crank over when he jumped the polarities on the solenoid. Sounded free and smooth, but didnt run. Said it needed a coil. The bike had a bit of rust on the usual bits, exhaust, few levers, chips on the frame had rusted. Needless to say I bought it right up, threw it on the trailer and drove home with my second bike. (The first is a 75 750K I bought running for 600$). So having my first bike running well and reliably, heres my chance to use this 77 Parts bike to build up my perfect cafe racer. I've got most the parts I need, it just all needs refinement to be completed in my eyes. I want this bike to stop go and turn well. I dont care for having another rider, so one seat it is. I've got Henry Abe wheels that will be going on. Ive got two brake setups to run twin disks up front. The stronger 77K forks. Ill be needing progressive springs for those. New shocks for the rear. Probably Hagons for that. Ive got clip ons on the list as well, I dont think I need rearsets, as cool as they are. I'm 6' and have long gangly legs and arms. Its not all that uncomfortable to me. So that leaves me a need for better looking pegs at the stock locations. Any ideas? And Ill have a few more questions throughout this project.
I started by stripping everything apart with the help of my brother. When it was down to the frame, I started cutting off tabs and grinding on some of the ugly ugly welds down. Sandblasting after that. Im going to bondo most of the seams and have some bracing welded in before paint. new bronze swingarm bushings too along with tapered steering head needle bearings.

I was going to put the bracing in the triangle around the coils, and some tubing crossed near where the stock intake would be. These are the sposts suggested by Hondaman in his book (awesome, and thanks hondaman!) Though Im not sure of the third place he mentioned, though if hes talking about the rear peg mounts those are gone already.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
Re: 77 CB750remodelK
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »
Ive gotten the tank painted up as well. Its not perfect but I like the colors and badge, so I wont be bothering to repaint to fix the little blemishes.

The rotors will be polished and the calipers, as well.

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »
Good to see another 77 being done. Your build is very similiar to mine.
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »
Got a build thread? I need inspo  ;D This is was I'm going for. (I saw this scheme/bike after I started).

Beautiful bike. Clean, consice, and obviously a classy sport bike. And I'd happily throw down some G's for this if it came state side.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »
whoops my ctrl key is sticky, meant to post

This is what I was thinking also for the bracing on the frame. Does this seem adequate?

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 11:32:36 pm »
cool paint scheme!

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

traveler

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 08:05:36 am »
Neat project!  PLEASE start a build thread.

~Joe

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:50:45 pm »

So, I got my sheets of steel in. 2'x2' squares, one 18gauge and the other 20g, that I will be making my seat tray, pan, and cover out of. The sheet metal was free from a friend :) . Maybe I should see how cheaply I can do this, But maybe not.  ;D Anyways, about the seat. Ill be making a full length pan with a bend at the back shaped flat, though narrower than the front. Over that, on the forward half of the pan will be the seat tray with a 45 degree bend up 5" from the pan to mimick the rear. This tray will have either 1" racing foam or be covered in foam and vinyl. The tail will be the 20g sheet, up at a slight angle and then almost flat on top with the 4 bends in the cover (you can kinda see thins on the seat tray I made up) to mimick the tanks lines (lets make that ugly K7 tank look cool!). The pant job will match the tank as well.  The tail will house the electronics to keep them cool. I've got a wee little battery Ill make a tray for to lay on the flat near stock location. I'm keeping the stock oil tank, as I dont see it in the budget for anything else. And with out the battery or electronics it looks too open. Might even mount hondamans ignition setup in there when I get it. (And I WILL be getting it) along with the ignition switch.
 Ive got a friend getting me a line on some sandblasting and powder coating guy he knows. Itll be getting blasted and then welded (I spoke with the welder and hes ready to do it). Then either JBwelding or bondoing all the welds on the frame. Depending on if I cant get the powder coater to match the paint on the tank (Red). But I'm skeptical. Well thanks for tuning in. I hope you like. Dont be afraid to be a critic on this one. I'd like the masses to appreciate this one. And I can use all the help I can get. I'm still new to all this.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »
I finished up my paper templates today after work. Even threw a bit of color on there just to check. I like it. The metal will have more rounded edges than whats on the paper. Do a matching paint and install the electronics.

Offline 75cb550 (kyle)

• so you're calling me a
  • Hot Shot
  • KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH
    • My Album
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 02:25:35 pm »
i like that scheme on the tank as well.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 06:29:29 pm »
So, I finally got around to cutting the sheet metal for the seat. Paper templates werent as helpful as I had hoped. They did the trick. But not everything was perfect. Cut the metal with a cut off wheel and bent them over a peice of wood with my hands and a finish hammer. I lack better tools. And from what ive done so far I would love to try and really hammer something out for a bike in the future. Ill have to look into that. annnnyways, Heres some pics of the progress. the seams will be welded, grinded and then filler all around to fine tune. lemme know what you think.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 07:14:18 pm »
So I gave up on the seat. Dont have the tools really to do sheet metal work. Mayhaps another day. So I bought one of Carpy's seats. The duckbill. It came in after I sent a reminder email, but he sent me a signed poster with the seat. Cool guy. So, I've been grinding on the bike with my brother trying to get this thing together before Rice-O-Rama on the 12th. Got the frame sandblasted and am working on the welds right now. The Seat is painted with the fender and headlight bucket now. I'm gonna redo the tank since I'm not happy with the results. Should be bolting it together soon.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »
absolute thing of beauty!

liked where you were going with the seat tho. too bad.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 03:34:26 am »
Yeah, the seat was a shot in the dark. I dont even have a vice here! But I've still got it and a hook up for sheet metal, so there will be one in the future. Maybe another k7/8 build :) Thanks for the comment, I can say I'm finally pleased with the paint.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 04:16:41 am »
Looking GREAT MAN!!  I second the "I like the way you were going with that seat!"  It was the begining of something truely great and inspirational.... regardless your goodies are coming together nicely...looking SLICK!  (hope to see that metal seat resurface some day on here!...on another one of your builds  ;) )  Cheers!

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 04:30:25 am »
That bike is going to look killer.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:37 am »
That bike is going to look killer.

+1! Great paint job! Cant wait to see this finished...may even inspire me to go to Rice-O-Rama!

good luck
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 09:33:43 am »
Lookin' good
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:38 pm »
So finaly got the frame in some paint. Its still drying. Dont mind my methods. Low budget and proper tools. And a timeline too :( Well anyways, I ground down the welds on the frame a bit and put a glazing putty over them, Hopefuly the frame doesnt flex so much itll crack. Only one way to find out. Its not perfect but, its not as bad as the welds looked for sure.

Almost done on the wheels too. Find a nice gold that'll do the trick. I wish I could afford powdercoating, maybe this winter.

Oh, and dont mind the blurryness. Its dust :) I almost freaked, but it wipes right off.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:42:15 pm »
fantastic!  :o

1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 05:11:03 am »
That's a purdy frame....!  SLICK weld clean up there man!!! Very excited to see this come together!

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 02:54:10 pm »
Couple more teasers. Ill be beging the assembly of the bike this weekend. Try and get the motor in and and on some rolling stock.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »

what do you guys think of the fabric for the seat? Its pretty flashy and matches the blue on the tins very well. Gonna get some metalic blue hand grips too. I just dont want to over do it.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »
outfreakinstanding!

love the wheels.

maybe for the seat a metallic vinyl like they use for diner seats?

or is that what you mean by over doing it?

1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 03:22:07 pm »
Thats exactly what I was thinking for the seat fabric, that old thick metalic vinyl. But I'd have to order it. I found the blue cloth thats on the seat in the pictures at the fabric store. Its almost a perfect match for the paint, though not water proof. As this bike wont see water (I hope) Im not too worried about that right now.