Author Topic: Rust through frame tubes  (Read 1161 times)

traveler

Rust through frame tubes
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:53:47 pm »
There is a member "SKTP" in the project section who is building a 750.  He actually found rust holes through the frame tubing, and had to cut it out and weld a patch in.

Is this kind of rust common in these bikes?  I haven't seen any rust holes on my 550 frame, but this is spooky! :o

~Joe
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:23:48 pm by traveler »

KingCustomCycles.com

Re: Rust through frame tubes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:12:57 am »
I have stripped, cut, welded, and sandblasted 14 CB750 frames.  No rust through ever encountered.  The frame tubing has drain holes from the factory and it seems to have done its job.  I have seen surface rust (scale) chips fall out of a frame that has been stored outside and then lightly tapped with a rubber mallet.  This usually occurs around the rear engine mount/swingarm mounting plates.  For the purist, a syringe and needle can be filled with hot linseed oil and then squirted into the drain holes.  The frame is then rotated to distribute the oil and then is drained out.  Hot to thin the mixture, when it cools it thickens to a very rust resistant surface.  Of course, rotating a frame with an engine and wheels is out of the question, this could be done during restoration though. 

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:35:44 am »
According to the H-man book, "some" of the new factory or old factory I don't recall, frames had their drain holes missed. And yet more had the drain holes painted over. My last 71 had a couple drain holes behind the kick stand on the bottom but did not have the down tube holes in the front of the frame where you need them so I put them in. And you really need them. Power wash your frame and it practically fills with water and you can actually watch it pour out of these drain holes. One of H-mans tests is to squeeze the frame with a pair of pliers. If it collapses - frame's no good. Pretty scary I think. So check for your drain holes and drill them out if not there or painted shut.

traveler

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:43:32 am »
Will do....thanks.

~Joe

Offline SKTP

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:33 am »
I guess I'm just lucky  ???

A drain hole has been made in the repaired frame. It's off to the powder coater today. He's going to look for any other frame issue when it's blasted. The rust hole most likely occurred due to the PO leaving it on the kick stand under a tree for 3 years. The hole was at the lowppint on the kickstand side. Crossing my fingers....
1978k rebuild thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68423.0
BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2017
2003 Ducati M800ie
1997 Honda CR-V
2004 Honda CR-V
1966 Honda S90

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:33:23 am »
Yeah, rust like that is in no way common. But one event really makes you think and its easy to check. I didn't on my project and its got me wondering. My frame hasn't seen outdoors since 1995, but that doesn't mean some condensation may not have been doing its dirty in similar locations all along.

Mines already powdered up, but i may look at what HM has to say and drill some holes anyway.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline gmonkey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:33:14 am »
Guy I buy parts from has a pile of old CB frames.  Some of them had the lower part of the frame tubes rusted through.  Not the same as a running bike but it can happen in extreme cases.
Big pile of 76 CB550F parts
'98 FZR600 purring like a chain-smoking kitten!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:53:17 am »
Guy I buy parts from has a pile of old CB frames.  Some of them had the lower part of the frame tubes rusted through.  Not the same as a running bike but it can happen in extreme cases.

Yikes! If some are rusted through, then some are partially rusted and that's bad enough.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."