Author Topic: The SOHC4 Nugget Thread  (Read 38279 times)

Markcb750

Re: The SOHC4 Nugget Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:44 am »
Keep a jar of the thickest, stickiest grease you can find with your oil.  

Obtain a new tachometer seal, install it. Then stuff the hole full of this grease.
Clean the tack area up after you push the cable in forcing grease to ooze from the area.

Every time you change your oil remove the tachometer cable and repeat packing the cavity with this thick grease.

I use Kendal high temperature wheel-bearing grease.

No more leaks from the tachometer seal.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:30:48 am by Markcb750 »

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 10:14:20 am »
Quote from: TwoTired ...

"I should note that a low, smooth idle follows:
All cylinders having the same compression numbers.
All cylinders have their valves adjusted perfectly.
Can chain tension correct.
New spark plugs
New points, condensers, and the timing advance working properly,
The point gap, and spark timing are spot on.
All carbs are clean as new, and every internal orifice, whether for air or fuel, flows the same between each and every carb.
Brand new stock air filter.
Original exhaust with no rust holes. (or mouse nests)
A consistent and equal temperature for all cylinders."
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 11:00:18 am »
Almost Free fork seal installation tool for 35mm forks. Cb550K, CB550F, CB400F, etc, etc

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=75327.0

WD-40 (Water Displacement recipe #40) Took them 40 tries to get it right. It was never meant as a lube but people just assume. My uncle used to spray the inside of his boat distributor cap, never missed a beat. It actually works as a fish attractant as well :)
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline gane

• Gane
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 06:36:01 pm »
A drain bolt should either be in & tight, or on top of fresh oil can/bottle.   This eliminates the 2 AM panic wake-up "did I tighten bro's drain plug before he left?" & the (old timers) where the @#$#@ did I set that  @#$#'er..... G

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »
Cotter Pins are great, but not very reusable, I've found Hitch Pin Clips work great on rear axles, and torque links, etc.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline 77cafe750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 09:28:37 pm »

When working on a motorcycle, never be in a hurry to go for a ride.  While riding a perfectly tuned motorcycle, never be in a hurry to get home.

i so love this can i use it in my sig
live like an outlaw and love like an angel
crash
blacked out gauges rock
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67710.0

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:03 am »
Not mine, but....

cotton cord, or a tampon can be shoved between fins to soak up slow leaks.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
77/78 cool 2 member #3

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 11:55:15 am »
re: CB750 cylinder head removal:
This is prompted by a problem posted in another thread. There are 16 head nuts and 4 screws. The screws go down the center from side to side, residing under the 1,3,4, and 6th rubber puck. When disassembling these should be removed first. A slight tap with an impact should do it. Often not even that, a T handle #3 phillips is good.

If you remove the head nuts first, all of the relief pressure of the head will be released into those 4 screws and they ain't never coming out. Which is the purpose of this post. Don't get in a position where you've stripped the tops off these screws, trying to get them out with the head nuts off.

On reassembly, put the 4 screws in first and snug them down in alternation. This draws the head into its ORings, dowel pins etc, letting you know everything is OK. Then put the nuts on per manual, alternating and sequencing. Having done that the screws will now be loose again, so you'll need to snug them down some more to keep them from rattling around and maybe backing out. I've often threatened to just take them out and leave them out. But the holes may fill up with crud so I leave them in.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 04:59:10 pm »
Just found this in another thread, good one dude.

Registration... check
insurance... check
printed rules explaining that your bike is legal.... check

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
  • I would get up if i knew i fell
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 10:38:05 am »
Don't kick-start your bike to impress onlookers unless you're positive you can start it by the third kick. 

Good one.  When i ride with my buddy and his magneto harly i wait until his 10th kick then i one kick mine.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 07:10:45 am »
I'm sure I should have realized that brake cleaner would take clear coat off aluminium.... oh well lesson learned.

so does carb cleaner, if you let it sit for a bit.  ;)

Past Bikes
77/78 cool 2 member #3

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 11:48:56 pm »
If replacing fork oil, be sure to put the bike on the center stand before removing the top bolts holding the springs.  Failing to do so will result in large 23mm bolts being launched into the face of the person removing said bolt, and may result in the front of the bike dropping 6-8 inches suddenly, leading to a tip over situation.

I only mention it because I saw some total jagoff make this mistake in my alleyway with a bike that looked sorta like mine.  What a rube.
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 08:36:49 am »
If replacing fork oil, be sure to put the bike on the center stand before removing the top bolts holding the springs.  Failing to do so will result in large 23mm bolts being launched into the face of the person removing said bolt, and may result in the front of the bike dropping 6-8 inches suddenly, leading to a tip over situation.

I only mention it because I saw some total jagoff make this mistake in my alleyway with a bike that looked sorta like mine.  What a rube.

Same thing will happen with the bike only on the center stand, because all of the weight is on the stand and the front wheel.  You have to raise the front with a jack or suspend from the ceiling to get the weight off the front wheel. 

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:13 pm »
This may be more personal opinion than a nugget, but a day in the shop isn't complete without a blood blister. ;D 

I always feel so much more satisfied after spending time in the garage when I take my gloves off and see a good blood blister on one of my fingers.  It means not only that I was wrenching hard but that I was so focused I didn't even feel the pain. 

The older I get, the more calloused my hands get, and the fewer blisters I get, but I appreciate them when I do.   

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 05:24:42 am »
This may be more personal opinion than a nugget, but a day in the shop isn't complete without a blood blister. ;D 

I always feel so much more satisfied after spending time in the garage when I take my gloves off and see a good blood blister on one of my fingers.  It means not only that I was wrenching hard but that I was so focused I didn't even feel the pain. 

The older I get, the more calloused my hands get, and the fewer blisters I get, but I appreciate them when I do.   
I've always said that! "Its not a good day in the shop if I don't draw blood".  I have a sign I bot from a garage supply place with "The Busted Knuckle Garage" and the logo of a finger with a band-aid on it. The legend underneath says "Repair and Despair Under One Roof". All tongue in cheek of course, but it's how I feel.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 11:03:42 am »
On a somewhat related note, I don't feel like I've really accomplished anything unless I'm just covered in grime and oil afterward. 
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »
My Dad (rest his soul) used to say that if you didn't have a few parts left over, you didn't do the job right.

What was he thinking?
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 05:13:39 pm »
My Dad (rest his soul) used to say that if you didn't have a few parts left over, you didn't do the job right.

What was he thinking?
Parts is parts, always good to have extras.   ;)
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »
Real mechanics don't wear nitrile gloves! You NEED grease stained hands and finger nails :) :)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 12:16:55 am »
Real mechanics don't wear nitrile gloves! You NEED grease stained hands and finger nails :) :)

Hey now!  Maybe that slips by when you're selling drugs to people for your day job, but when they're buying expensive, curdled, fermented and aged products made from the mammaric expressions of various four-legged creatures, they expect your hands to be spotless!! ;D

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:11 am »
quotes from my family of mechanics...

"never hire a guy with soft hands and clean fingernails"
and "a clean work bench is the sign of a sick mind"

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:27 am »

Hey now!  Maybe that slips by when you're selling drugs to people for your day job, but when they're buying expensive, curdled, fermented and aged products made from the mammaric expressions of various four-legged creatures, they expect your hands to be spotless!! ;D

Oh Geez Gordon, your such a puss. You're supposed to wear your spandex latex, er nitrile gloves AT WORK so that mammaric curdling and fermenting stuff won't dissolve off all that manly grease!  ;) ;D There's only one other natural product I know of that will remove it better  :D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline captaincrash80

• I better build something before I'm no longer considered a
  • Enthusiast
  • Member #4842
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 11:13:04 am »
Never take advice from someone who says "I knew a guy who's brother had one of these, lemmie take a look at it"

If you're buying a used bike and the owner is too eager to say "There's nothing wrong with it and it runs PERFECT" he's probably lying.

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:44 am »
Naptha cleans / removes almost anything petro-based.

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:59 pm »
 WD-40 was not developed to be a lubricant . It was developed to be a water displacement.  Hence the name-
          WATER DISPLACEMENT  # 40 FORMULA  ( WD-40 )    ;D
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !