Author Topic: aluminum rods these any good?  (Read 14182 times)

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
Re: aluminum rods these any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:44:48 pm »
Garbage. I would go with stock F2 rods with HD big end bolts before those, myself.
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:51:42 pm »
Not sure about the rods but the seller sucks, sue me Rusty Riders, they sold me a sprocket that I should have realised would never fit in a month of Sundays.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »
There is no way in hell would i put $169 dollar rods in anything but a garbage bin...

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:21:46 pm »
Damn! I bought a set of NOS H/D steel conrods from MCRider for a bit less than $169.00, don't tell me I have to throw them out, they look Awesome Mick! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

a700guy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:24:31 pm »
Garbage. I would go with stock F2 rods with HD big end bolts before those, myself.

I thought f2 rods were shorter, where can you get hd rod bolts for stock rods?

What is the problem with stock rods?

I build some 65 hp single cylinder engines with rods that look alot daintier turning around 15000 rpm, is it poor metal?

The look to me like with some real rod bolts, balancing, smoothing out the beams, etc they would me more than suitable in construction for 10500 max street engine with 836cc, but I see alot of peeps changing them.....so there must be more??

Offline Steel Dragon Performance

• Steel Dragon Performance
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:33:04 pm »
YOSHIMURA or RC gold rods are a good bet don't gamble on no name rods

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:43:23 pm »
I have not ever seen a 836 blow a stock rod but , find out what was in the motor that the kit came from?

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 05:45:24 pm »
Big Jay (APE) & sponsor here, is selling Super Rods and Carrillos.
I believe that it's money well spent.
Mick
http://cbrzone.com/sohc.html
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:46:44 pm »
Damn! I bought a set of NOS H/D steel conrods from MCRider for a bit less than $169.00, don't tell me I have to throw them out, they look Awesome Mick! ;D

I will give you my address to throw them to mate.... ;D   I of course meant new cheap rubbish....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:57:38 pm »
I was just looking through an old RC book, where Russ and them used stock rods that were heat-treated and shot-peened. That was their high performance connecting rod. Then they also had the super high performance rod. Basically, it was the same rod, except it had heavy-duty rod bolts: 11/32 inch. Automotive bolts are what they used. They claim that they were four times stronger than standard units, and recommended them for any serious racing. Their high performance rods were recommended for anything over 836. So, with some of the new rods we have today, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that you can get a good aftermarket steel rod.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »

I will give you my address to throw them to mate.... ;D   I of course meant new cheap rubbish....

Mick

ha ha, I know mate, I was just having fun with you. Cheers, Terry. ;D

YOSHIMURA or RC gold rods are a good bet don't gamble on no name rods

Michrobi smashed an RC Golden rod in his RC Cobra engine, I bought his cylinder block and the corresponding sleeve was smashed, and from memory the remainder of the rod and the piston exited out thru the front of the engine block, totalling his engine. If I had to buy new rods, I'd buy some H/D steel rods from Big jay at APE. I've got RC Engineering steel rods in my 836cc engine, and they've been fine, up to 11000 RPM. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 06:14:31 pm »
A wise man once told me "Old $h|t is old $h|t".
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 06:17:59 pm »

But it generally doesn't stick to your boot when you step in it........  ;D

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »

But it generally doesn't stick to your boot when you step in it........  ;D

And that would be the only good thing about it..... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »
Stock rods work fine until they don't want to play anymore,they quit playing and you start PAYING!! And what you have to buy is a lot more than one rod!I sold 3 Yosh alum rods on Flea bay cause one decided to quit playing on the back straight @ Road Atlanta....aerated some nice sandcast cases! ;D,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:03 pm »
There's nothing wrong with new stuff, but some people's checkbooks can't handle that. Not much choice but to have old #$%*. And some of that old #$%*'s pretty damn good.  :) I've been running my Yoshimuras for almost 30 years now, and they're still workin'. I'm running a 1062, but maybe I don't play hard enough with it.

a700guy

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 06:58:47 pm »
split my cases today and found my primary chain is trying to saw through the oil pump, upper case, the metal base of the tensioner it's self and anything else that gets in the way, so.....the cost just keeps rising.

just looking for some decent street worthy, sleeper ideas on rods since I'm in this deep.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 07:11:48 pm »
CycleX have some good rods for a reasonable price..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »
split my cases today and found my primary chain is trying to saw through the oil pump, upper case, the metal base of the tensioner it's self and anything else that gets in the way, so.....the cost just keeps rising.

just looking for some decent street worthy, sleeper ideas on rods since I'm in this deep.

Study up on cryogenics.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:58 pm »
There's nothing wrong with new stuff, but some people's checkbooks can't handle that. Not much choice but to have old #$%*. And some of that old #$%*'s pretty damn good.  :) I've been running my Yoshimuras for almost 30 years now, and they're still workin'. I'm running a 1062, but maybe I don't play hard enough with it.
I'm sure you play pleny hard enough.....1062cc ought to be fun! ;) Roadracing hard on parts,esp endurance roadracing which was what was going on when #2 gave up the ghost! ;D I still have 2 sets of Yosh ,one in 836 engine.Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 10:52:15 pm »
The rods in this thread were forged and made in Japan. They were imported by MC Supply in Los Angeles. They had more mass than the SuperRod / Yoshimura alloys.  We sold a lot of them back in the day for motors up to 890cc. Wouldn't waste money on them today, especially with bigger motors.

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 10:28:20 am »
  are the cycle x super rods and APE's super rods the same?
   they look the same
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

a700guy

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:47 am »
The rods in this thread were forged and made in Japan. They were imported by MC Supply in Los Angeles. They had more mass than the SuperRod / Yoshimura alloys.  We sold a lot of them back in the day for motors up to 890cc. Wouldn't waste money on them today, especially with bigger motors.

Im building an 836, planning on sending the crank to you to be lightened and balanced, firm believer in balancing everything possable here.

So do you know what the weight was as compared to a stock rod?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »
It's interesting that you have to "notch" the bottoms of the sleeves to accommodate the bigger aluminum rods, I wonder if you'd be better off dropping the sleeves out and turning them down on a lathe instead? I'm just thinking of cracking etc. Cheers, Terry. ;D