Author Topic: Oil Pressure + Easier Shifting HOW TO / WALKTHROUGH  (Read 39692 times)

Offline 72hondacb750

Oil Pressure + Easier Shifting HOW TO / WALKTHROUGH
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »
So I wanted to make this walk through .. this is based on advice that I was given by Hondaman but I couldn't find a walkthrough for it anywhere and stumbled my way through it. Thought maybe I could make it easier on some other new comers. .

PROBLEM : I had low oil pressure at idle .. I also had a TERRIBLE time shifting into neutral if the bike was stopped .. this was worse as the bike would heat up. My oil pressure would go down and my shifting would get harder and harder.. ..

I did three things to resolve these issues ..
1. Drilled the clutch basket to improve oil flow across the clutch.
2. Replaced the o-rings on the oil pump which had flattened and shrunk down.
3. Replaced the o-ring on the countershaft oiler.

here's some info that I gathered while doing so..
------

The first thing I did was to drill additional oil holes in the clutch basket .. This is in Hondaman's tech articles .. found here .. http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?q=node/278

Here is a picture of it and another picture that shows the approx** pattern that I used when i drilled it.. This is just hand drawn and is only meant to be a guide.

After this was done there was a noticeable improvement in the shifting of my bike. Much less of that feeling like the bike always wanted to take off, even when the clutch was pulled in all the way.

--------------------

all the o-rings you need for the rest of the project can be found in this pack sold at harbor freight.

2. The o-rings on the oil pump..

I've heard many people talk about their oil pressure .. it seems common that most show about 10psi for every 1k of rpms  .. I too had pressure like this .. My oil pressure now holds pretty steady .. Even at low idle its still 65lbs or so... this is what I did..

- removed 4-1 exhaust ..
- removed oil pan held by 10mm bolts.
- cleaned debris from oil pan and replaced gasket , set aside.
- removed oil pump with 4 bolts that held it in place .
- ensure all the little steel sleeves for the oil passages stay in place.. In this picture the sleeves are #9 .. don't loose em .. they're loose in the pump.
- replace o-rings #14 .. 3 of them. .. they are 15mmx2.5mm ..

here is a picture of the old and new o-rings together.. It's hard to see but the new one was almost twice as thick..

After you install the new o-rings the assembly is just the reverse of what we've done already. One thing to note is that it's recommended that you prime the oil pump before you reinstall it. Do do this put it in a tub of fresh oil and spin the gear until all the air is out.

-------------------------

3. Countershaft oiler O-ring ..

This one is huge to me .. I'm sure this is the biggest reason I can NOW shift into neutral while stopped at a stop light <cheers>

To get this done I needed one o-ring from the kit purchased. I also needed a dremel and an impact screw driver .. I'm pretty sure from what I read that most people will have a hard time with the screws involved in this..

- remove shift lever.
- remove trans cover.
- Carefully remove linkage and note it's assembly ..

this is where things go bad ..

the 4 screws that hold the countershaft oiler are uh .. difficult.. I tried a large screwdriver with a crescent wrench on it, did not try this for long. Could tell immediately that was not going to work so I bought an impact screw driver. The 2nd hit of the impact properly finished the points inside the screw.. See picture.

dont panic .. thats what i told myself.

so at this point i got out the dremel and cut slots into each of the 3 mangled screws ..

I then used the wide flat head bit from the impact screw driver and gave it a couple more whacks ..

ps. this is a good time to tell you not to buy the harbor freight impact driver for $4.99 .. it sucks .. at least go to the auto part store and buy their $12.99 one or better yet sears for $39.99. The tips in the harbor freight one just fell right apart.

yay success ! !

so this is the o-ring you need to replace .. I didn't spot it at first it's sooooo small .. mine was flat as hell and not sealing anything !

once you get that in there its just putting it back together and you're good to go, I used this time to also replace the seal for the shift lever as well.

Here is another diagram of that shift linage that you took out .. it was tricky to me getting it all back together .. this helped.

Hopefully this helps you to get a bike that runs better, smoother and for longer .. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:07:55 pm by 72hondacb750 »
72 CB750 cafe project

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Oil Pressure + Easier Shifting HOW TO / WALKTHROUGH
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:17:48 am »
That's excellent mate, I've gotta rebuild a K2 engine soon, so I'll make sure I give this a try! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:05:41 am »
Very cool.

Thanks!!

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:27:36 am »
what size oring for the countershaft oiler?
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline 72hondacb750

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:32:33 am »
That o-ring is 5x2.5 but either of those numbers can be .1 smaller if needed depending on whats available.
72 CB750 cafe project

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »
Does anybody know if drilling the holes in the clutch basket works the same for a 550?

Offline 72hondacb750

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »
looks like it in the parts fiche

part number 6?

question would be does it help in the same way? .. I've never had a 550 to tell ya.
72 CB750 cafe project

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:44:05 am »
Thank you for the discussion and the diagram. I will be drilling my, er hub as well.

Forgive my anality, but the part to be drilled is the hub, not the basket.

The ORings I had done as part of the rebuild. But its good to know someone can change those ORings without a complete rebuild and get the smotther shifting results.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

rhodeisland_rust

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »
just spent the day replacing the clutch, and said 'what the heck, why not drill some holes in this beast while im at it'
i will let you guys know what kind of results i have once i get my 750k8 out on the road...hopefully soon.

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:30 pm »
just spent the day replacing the clutch, and said 'what the heck, why not drill some holes in this beast while im at it'
i will let you guys know what kind of results i have once i get my 750k8 out on the road...hopefully soon.

Look forward to hearing about it. About tp do the same.
-Adam

1972 CB750 (current project)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=87951.0

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »
Great writeup, 72CB750K2! :)

15 x 2.5 mm and the 5 x 2.5. Thats the INSIDE diameter and thickness?
That's the size designation. Ask a seal shop for the 4.9 x 2.5 or 5.0 x 2.4 or 5.0 x 2.5, any one will fit (Honda used all 3 at one time or another). The 15 x 2.5 is the same one as found in oil filter kits, the one that fits on the oil filter bolt. ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:28:18 pm by HondaMan »
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:36:49 pm »
Hondaman and 72hondacb750,

Amazing iinformation.  My bike went from shifting like a fork in a garbage disposal to as smooth as butter. 
I recommend this advice to anyone with shifting issues. 
Thanks for all the help

I also added the clutch spring seats which were missing, and feel that it maybe an added benefit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:42:36 pm by VTCBike750 »
-Adam

Offline BottomUp

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »
That Harbor Freight o-ring set shown at the beginning of the oil pump walk through doesn't contain EITHER of the required sizes.  I found this out after buying this set, but I noticed that there was another o-ring set at HF...maybe it has the correct sizes.  You can see the sizes included right in the chart on the container in the pic...

Offline 750four

• Enthusiast
  • Bomb's away!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »
There are sets for sae and metric o rings.

BTW is there another link to the clutch hub drill mod. The link just runs you back to the home page. Just pulled my pump yesterday, the pick up screen was caked and the o rings are flatened out to. After I dropped the pump about a half qt of oil fell out too.

I also popped the 14 mm bolt off and cleaned up the internals there, then the 2 10 mm bolts on the end of e scavenge side. Cleaned up the shaft, spring, and also found that o ring. Might aswell replace it too. The shaft neededa lil tlc. Itwas a bit sticky, but smoothed out with some fine steel wool.

My pump gear has side to side play. About a 1/4". Not in turning, but in and out. Is that normal?

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »
The drawing makes sense if you download it to your desktop open it in picture viewer and rotate 90 degrees.  you could also print it out.

Offline Pecantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:38 am »
I'm still learning this stuff. But, I thought you couldn't use regular nitrile o-rings inside the engine. That there is a special hi-temp nitrile that goes to 300deg and then viton takes you to 400deg. What's the consensus on this?
http://www.harvestclassic.org/

"The suspect had experienced a ballistic interlude earlier in the evening" Miss Pao said, "Regrettably not filmed, and relived himself of excess velocity by means of an ablative technique."         ......    ?    ........         "She say you have road rash."

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 06:54:20 pm »
If your worried about it just go with Gennie Honda parts.  The good news is that these O-rings are used in a bizillion other Honda engines.  I ordered a couple sets from Boats.net for around $17 delivered.

Honda O-RING,15X2.5 Part Number: 91301-MY9-003
Honda O-RING (4.9X2.5) Part Number: 91301-426-010

The key is to do an internet search with Honda and part no.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:52 am »
Does anybody know if drilling the holes in the clutch basket works the same for a 550?

I'd like to bump this thread with this question :)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 02:24:36 am »

I'd like to bump this thread with this question :)
I would also like to know if this works for a 650?
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline 1974cb550k

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »
To simplify things you can change the o ring without removing the cover completly. Just remove the bolts and slide the cover forward, snake the old one and replace it.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 10:51:20 am »
This is awesome. This winter I am going to attack my cb and do this! Good readup and thanks for the info!
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:22 am »
So I wanted to make this walk through .. this is based on advice that I was given by Hondaman but I couldn't find a walkthrough for it anywhere and stumbled my way through it. Thought maybe I could make it easier on some other new comers. .

PROBLEM : I had low oil pressure at idle .. I also had a TERRIBLE time shifting into neutral if the bike was stopped .. this was worse as the bike would heat up. My oil pressure would go down and my shifting would get harder and harder.. ..

I did three things to resolve these issues ..
1. Drilled the clutch basket to improve oil flow across the clutch.
2. Replaced the o-rings on the oil pump which had flattened and shrunk down.
3. Replaced the o-ring on the countershaft oiler.

here's some info that I gathered while doing so..
------

The first thing I did was to drill additional oil holes in the clutch basket .. This is in Hondaman's tech articles .. found here .. http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?q=node/278

Here is a picture of it and another picture that shows the approx** pattern that I used when i drilled it.. This is just hand drawn and is only meant to be a guide.

#
#
#

I do not have the same hole pattern. If I drill the holes according to the drawing, I might make the clutch construction weaker?
I have the 3 holes 2+1, either drilled in positive flank or negative.  [Positive, negative, positive, negative] The holes have the same place compared with the inner 'wings'. I'm sure that it's important to drill correct and not make the construction weaker. I understand that the holes must be drilled closer to the double set to ensure more oil at this position.

So where to drill, other side of the 'wings'? So holes will be on each side?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:24:48 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
here ya go PeWe

This is what I did:

But the good news is I dropped the pan and oil pump, and changed out the oil pump o-rings without a problem.

The big victory was removing the 4 screws that hold on the countershaft oiler. Quality impact driver and a dremel tool! Thought for a second that I was gonna strip everything though.

Im gonna get new screws though before I finish things. 

I also had a chance to modify the clutch

This is what I came up with.  I added a total of 8 holes.

Just a little countersunk

-Adam

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:07 am »
Thank you very much for the clarification and encouragement of how to do. I'll drill some extra holes...
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 05:41:21 pm »
So I tried this mod today on my 1973 CB750 which was having oil pressure around 15 to 20 PSI at idle and after adding 8 additional holes, two per section it spins the dial past 70 at idle.  Shifting is much improved.  I love this mod.