Author Topic: Air Filter & Stack Filter Kit for 550's & 750's / The end, see post #898, pg 36  (Read 189890 times)

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
Assume your looking for the stacks, this should work - paul gabor: mybluebike2004@yahoo.com

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
I'm replying here because everyone who has bought one of these kits now has some time with them on their bike.

Let's talk maintenance. I don't ever remember oiling these filters coming up in any discussion, but apparently ITG recommends oiling all their foam filters prior to use. I found this link with instructions on cleaning and oiling: http://www.itgairfilters.com/downloads/CleaningOilingYourFilter.pdf

Has anyone cleaned or oiled their filter yet? Has anyone done ANY kind of maintenance on them? I have about 1,000 miles on mine without ever oiling it, and I know it came dry. I'm thinking of ordering their cleaning and oiling products and following the directions. I'd rather maintain THIS filter than spend $225 to replace it.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
All the filters were shipped with oiling & cleaning instructions (supplied by ITG).  An un-oiled foam filter will not catch the small stuff, just as an un-oiled paper filter works poorly.

My filter (the original prototype) has been cleaned and re-oiled after every season; still in great condition.  Oiling does not reduce the foam filters efficiency (these were rated at supporting 300hp!).

tintop / Brian
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Mainstreet

Hello, so after countless hours of reading this topic I have found out that the widest part of the filter is 325mm. My question is how deep is the filter plus the base plate? Also how wide is it? I have purchased the velocity stacks already but want to make my own filter since the ITG one is so expensive. Can anyone give me a measurement of this? Or does anyone have an autocad drawing they could send me. Also I have found these two filters that seem like they would probably work for about $80 on ebay.

http://www.ramair-filters.co.uk/shop/automotive/carburetor-itbs-automotive/baseplate-filter-automotive/custom-application/ramair-twin-carb-bolt-on-air-filters-with-blank-baseplate-40mm-internal-height/

http://www.ramair-filters.co.uk/shop/automotive/carburetor-itbs-automotive/baseplate-filter-automotive/custom-application/ramair-twin-carb-bolt-on-air-filters-with-blank-baseplate-45mm-internal-height/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also has anyone tried just running "sock" filters over the tintop designed stacks? If so how did they work.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
the RamAirs will work well as filters, used them on my Lotus Cortina race car.  However, the internal height is boarder line (50/55mm ideal for these stacks).  Because they use Duzs (?) fasteners on the out sides edges, the smaller one will be likely too tight to the out side stacks, and the wider one will / could rub against your leg (for sure with stock pegs), but would be the better choice.  The square edge at the top will interfere with the frame rail, but that would be more a cosmetic issue.
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Mainstreet,
Are you putting this on a 750 or a 550?  I am curious how these will fit in the frame.  I feel like there has to be others making filters in a similar size that don't cost $250.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
I found this one for $100, but you have to buy the base plate separately.  Still, 100 bucks cheaper. 

Edit: forgot the link:  http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/autograss/air-filters/pipercross-px500-small-twin-carburettor-air-filter-motorcycle-engines
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:39:26 am by CBGhia »
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Ok,  so while doing some searching I came across these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351633699367 

The spacing is pretty close. 74mm vs 70 mm but the hole diameter is only 29mm.  So if I cut the holes to be larger, but move them more to the center, that might work.

I am just not sure how these will fit over the stacks, either the stock ones or the stacks designed by Tintop.

Thoughts?

Offline boyt666

hello guys ,
I've quickly read through the entirely topic ( great work and research ! ) and been searching for itg airfilters @ the web ( saussage type ) ;
if you are a bit handy you could made one out of chicken wire (square holes)( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-Wire-Mesh-4M-x-0-9M-Galvanised-Cage-Aviary-Fencing-13mm-Square-Hole-/272839056034?hash=item3f86799aa2:g:tjIAAOSw311ZsoeT )  ;
see youtube itg airfilters ( )
unifoam filter sticks great and quick together with loctite 406 ( superglue for rubber and plastics ) .
I normally run with a airbox of steeldragon; just kept the baseplate and intake runners , made the saussage so it hangs in the outer milled edge of the baseplate. ( prerolled the wire to a diameter of 70/75 mm , make some cutting to finish sides. see video itg .... and glued the foamfilter to the outer side of the baseplate ( same glue foam sticks on aluminium ) , it's just a test ,
but the inner distance between backplate (cover) and intake runners from steeldragons breadbox was only 25 a 35 mm, so I was curious and made a saussage myself . there is indeed more air to breathe , the breadbox isn't bad but I have the impression there a bit of quicker gas response now. also as read in the forum the holes are a bit small and the total filter surface is at the small size  ( but nothing wrong with the steeldragon ; still nicest plug 'n play airbox.
cheers and happy 2018...
I run with cb500 four '73 ( 550cc cilinder ) 4 to 4 swabrick pipes , 650 cam (63hp type 4° advanced) , 649a? carbs ;Boyer Bransden ignition  ( for now 38 slow , 120! main and needle 4th clip )

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
Wow!  I started this thread 6 years ago, and it is still being read, and referenced.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Is that engine cover just masked or etched..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline boyt666

bike models don`t change... only get older and problems are the same...
yes 754 , the real stuff it`s etched and black is vht paint wrinkle... a great work for winterdays...
small stuff like this,  rearsets, brake and gear shifter are selfmade too. 

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
Bumping for amazing info and parts #s on PG 36
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
mybluebike2004@yahoo.com
Paul Gabor
Contact is still good.
He will make stacks still 42.50 shipped with a one week lead time.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior