Author Topic: Cleveland's CB550 daily driver *lots of pics* updated 7/9/10  (Read 7075 times)

Offline cleveland

• Expert
I picked up this bike in March of 2007 and have been riding it since.  I ride from the day after the first rain washes the salt off the road untill well after I should have put her away for the winter.  ;D  I have not posted along the way, but now I think I've come far enough that it warrens a post.  When I started coming to SOHC4 I had no experience wrenching on these old bike.  I owe most of the progress, knowledge, and inspiration to this forum.  Thanks guy!

This is how she looked when when I got her.  I swore one of the first things I was going to do was to cut down that ugly seat, but it never happened.  Turns out Mrs. Cleveland finds it to be very comfortable, and I like things that make her comfortable.  ;)  

I clean her up a bit and I threw on a sissy bar, chrome gauge covers, and a headlight visor.  I rode this bike like this for the rest of the season, and the first month or so of 2008.  The 4 into 2 strait pipes had a pretty gnarly looking header and a nice sound too.  It was loud, but not Harley obnoxious.

April of 2008 I moved.  The price was too good to pass up, but it has no garage.  :o :'(   That's OK though, I have a 2 car slab and understanding neighbors.  ;D  

I put on a MAC exhaust and it really changed the sound and feel it the bike.  I replaced the seat with a stock one and the rear fender with one I had already chopped and painted black.  I also moved the license plate to the lower rear shock bolt with a simple "L" bracket.  Cheap and easy, that the way I like it.   ;D  That lunch box brake light was too big, so I swapped it out with a trailer light (yea, I know it's not very classy), and replaced the blinkers with smaller ones.  Then I painted the side covers and tank a metallic silver.  This was the first thing I ever painted, so it has something to be desired.  I plan to repaint them this fall, and I think it will turn out quite a bit better the second time.  We'll see though.  :-\

Last August I went to the north woods of WI and stopped by Ken's Cycle X.  Great guy to talk shop with!  While I was there I picked up a sparto tail light and finned points and alternator covers.  I had a set of finned tappet cover for a while and threw those on there too.  Now all I need is the finned starter cover!  

Something cool I got here from our very own goon, the baddest badges EVER!!!  I get more comments on these badges the anything else.  They are made similar to the original ones, but with a funky lettering.  I also picked up a pair of Avons.  Oh man what a difference new rubber makes.  Especially when new tires were 2-3 years over due.  :-[  Sadly, winter came shortly after that.    

About a month ago I changed out my stock bars with drag bars.  This has proven to be a problem for me as I am color blind.  My left blinker works, but not my right.  My tach works, but not my speedo.  The tach is cocked to the side and held on with one screw to make room for the master cylinder and brake line.  For now......it works.  I plan to do quite a bit to the front end this winter, so that can wait.

From a couple feet, you'd never notice.  Shhhhhhhh   ;D  That header sure looks like poop though.

So this week I painted the header, and put on my 3x16 Indian rim w/Buchanan spokes.  8)  I scored an Avon 130/90x16 on ebay for $110 shipped.  I ran into a couple small snags, but nothing major.  I had to "customize" the torsion bar with a hammer so it would bend around the tire.  Few good whacks and we were in business!  I ran over to a buddy's house that night to show it off and he noticed the end of the center stand spring was about 1/4 inch from the tire.  This was undoubtedly a disaster waiting for a 45 MPH turn on the freeway.  :o  So I replaced the center stand stop with a longer one.  I also put on a set of Koni shocks I've had for a while now.  Man what a difference!!!  Here is how she sits today.

I am going to Mods vs Rockers on Sat and plan to paint the front fender, rear fender, and tail light before then.  I'll post pics when I do.

There is still quite a bit I would like to do to the bike.  Engine overhaul (replace head, polish parts, etc.), shorter clutch cables, steel braid brake lines, make a bolt on cafe seat, polished caliper (already have it), polish forks, drill rotor, progressive shocks, reposition master cylinder to straiten out the tach, install big bore kit, the list goes on.

If I ever finish the bike, I think I will have to buy another one and start over.  Lets face though, it will never be finished.  The more I do, the farther back I push the finish line.      
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:39:58 pm by cleveland »

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
Re: Cleveland's CB550 daily driver *lots of pics*
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:46:06 am »
Nice looking bike, the badges look awesome!!

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

clarkbar

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
Nice bike sir... I just snagged a 3.5x16 rim on eBay this past weekend... plan to go with the wider rear tire, it looks great!

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:03:12 am »
Thanks guys!

Clarkbar, you joining us for Mods vs Rockers this Sat?

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:08:23 am »
Very cool Cleveland.

Thanks for sharing.
Stranger in a strange land

clarkbar

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »
Thanks guys!

Clarkbar, you joining us for Mods vs Rockers this Sat?

I'd love to but I've deemed my bike unsafe to ride  :-\  anything over 50 and she wobbles like crazy... after riding to work one day I decided I would use a bedpan as a seat if I were to ride it any more...

I'm thinking of renting a spot from Chadwick to do the proper re-build.

Thanks again for the air box boot by the way! 

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:50:10 pm »
Oh, I did not know that was you. 

Wobble eh?  What do you think the cause is?

clarkbar

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:08:14 pm »
I can't pinpoint it... I'm just going to do a complete re-build and if it wobbles after that, well then, I don't know...

Any plans to strip and go naked???

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 08:03:55 pm »
May be something as simple as the wheels being out of balance?

Any plans to strip and go naked???

Originally I did, but not right now.  The wife and kids like going for bike rides, so the rear sets, naked look, larger tank will all have to wait for me to get a second bike.  That could take years as this rate.  :D  Leaves time for the other things I want to get done though.

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »
I spent all day with the bike.  

I cleaned her up, polished the forks, painted the front fender (I need to blast that and do it again), painted the rear fender & tail light, touched up the brake caliper and other areas that the black paint was wearing away, etc...

You may not even notice the difference between the last pics and these.   I think recovering the seat or making one is next on the list.

Here's my youngest after helping out.  This boy could get dirt dirty.   ;D

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:39:59 pm by cleveland »

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 09:52:42 am »
Great looking bike and a reliable sidekick/mechanic, too.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »
Nice work Bobby. You should be proud of your work.  It looks great.  Call me one of these weekends and we cshould go for a ride.
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

Offline I Zombie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »
It does look good buddy,sounds good too when you're fly'n past the shop. Yes I've seen & heard ya streak by last week.
78 CB750K

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 08:25:04 pm »
Now that the baffle is gone.......she sounds mean as hell!   ;D

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 04:39:24 pm »
Since my last update I broke another bolt off the head, and the tach stopped working.  So I pitched the tach and the speedo, and it was liberating!!!  :D

The time has come to swap out the engine.  A smart man would have had the replacement engine ready before pulling the current engine, I am not that guy.  :D  I packed her up in the "man van" and took her over to my buddy's house.  He made a make-shift paint booth, and we got to it.  Primed, painted, and wet sanded... all that's left is to clear coat and polish up some of the engine covers.  For the sake of time, I will likely just paint an extra clutch cover and send this one out to get polished.   

I've pulled the grimy carbs and soda blasted them.  It's absolutely amazing how much a soda blaster cleans off!  I'll have pics of that later, once I finish them.  I'm cleaning up the wiring with the help of my non-color-blind buddy.  ;D  Hopfully I'll get my directionals back.  They haven't worked since I up on the drag bars.

Offline RAWNOG

• Pretty pretty pretty pretty... Pretty good.
Re: Cleveland's CB550 daily driver *lots of pics* updated 7/9/10
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 12:09:46 am »
I plan on riding my 75 550k to my new job pretty soon, the thing is, its a 2 hour ride there and back. I stay there for two weeks at a time, so ill have time to maintenance in between commutes. Is there anything in specific I might want to change as far as type of tire/anything?
1975 CB550k 

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:47 am »
Got to have good tires, spare plugs, tire patch kit, full tool bag, etc... I would swap out the glass fuses for standard in-line fuses. It will make it a lot easier to obtain a fuse in the middle of nowhere.

Offline RAWNOG

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:57 am »
Thanks, btw- How do I start a topic on here? :-X
1975 CB550k 

Offline RAWNOG

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 07:39:04 am »
 Hey, I have a basic question about the starter switch on a 76 cb550f right hand control. Will it work on my 75 550k wiring harness? it seems all the wires from the switch match up in the headlight bucket except theres a blk/red that i cant find. looking at the diagram, it seems the brwn/red(coming from fuse box) is the harness wire i should connect to.????
1975 CB550k 

Offline brettster26

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 07:48:26 am »
Cleveland,
   Let me know if you want to sell of those Koni shocks (if they are still good) and what did you end up doing with those old headers you had?  I have a 75 CB550K that if they will fit on, I might be able to take off your hands.  PM me with a price if you would like!  Great build looking forward to seeing more.

How did the drag bars pan out?  I am in the process of putting my bars together and I noticed I will run into the same issue with the front brake. 

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:22 am »
Other events in my life have kept me from moving forward on this project.

@ROAWNOG: I am not the guy to ask about wiring, I'm color blond and have yet to start a wiring job that doesn't end in complete frustration. I think you have to have a few posts under your belt before you can start a new topic?

@ brettster26: I love the drag bars, they lean forward but not a much a clubmans so the fit me well. No interest in selling my shocks but I see them on ebay every now and then.