Author Topic: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Putting it all back together  (Read 140704 times)

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Brakes - Front Brake
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2013, 01:55:49 am »

I have made a small addition to the thread that I might as well mention now... I finally managed to score the last missing piece of the Airbox assembly and have added it to the Airbox post. It's the front air cleaner cover, a rubber cover that fits over the front section of the filter box and keeps water out of the system in wet conditions. I say it was a score because I have been looking unsuccessfully for one for nearly three years. I now limp and do everything one-handed because the guy selling it took a whole arm and leg for it; something I was willing to do since it's so scarce but, damn! it was pricey.  :o  The only real consolation I have (besides completing the airbox assembly) is that it's pretty much in brand new condition...

Ron,
Bummer about the air cleaner cover.  I wish I had known you needed one, as I think I have one or maybe even two laying around.  It would have been the same price as before.   :(.   
Any other bits that you need that you have had trouble finding?  I don't have a huge stockpile, but, evidently, the random pieces I do have seem to be hens' teeth.
'76 CB550K
Stock airbox, MotoGPWerks 4-1, HondaMan ignition, Lesters

Offline Reflexsilver

« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2013, 08:01:50 pm »
Any updates?

Offline jtran000

« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:43 am »
updates?

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Brakes - Rear Brake
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2013, 05:04:50 pm »
This post will cover assembling the rear brake mechanism. It's assumed that the brake shoes are already in place on the brake plate (since the wheel is already installed), so that part won't be addressed (and we're happy about that!). What I'll concentrate on is getting the pedal and all of the brake actuating hardware on and operating properly and, just for jollies, I'll throw in a few pertinent accessories to boot.

Here's the rear brake mechanism spread out for your perusal

Moving boustrophedonically (!) from the upper right, we start with the brake pedal itself. Next comes the pedal spring, then the actuator lever and shaft and the pedal height adjuster bolt, The brake switch and spring come next, with the brake panel/shoe assembly completing the row.

Dropping down, we have the brake rod adjuster nut, followed by the rod/arm "joint", then the brake rod itself along with the rod spring. Moving to the right along the rod we find the brake arm and the arm shaft seal and cover. At the far right is the "T" shaped brake rod connector pin with its associated cotter pin.

The bottom row begins with the brake stay swingarm bolt and its accoutrements of cotter pin, nut and washers. Next is the brake stay arm (in the flesh), followed by its brake plate mounting hardware consisting of a special "T' shaped bolt and "R" clip, a rubber washer, an 18mm plain washer and, last but not least, a nut to hold all of it together.

In addition, I'll be adding some accessory parts: the driver's footrests, the shift lever and the kickstart pedal

I began assembly by installing one end of the brake stay arm into its bracket on the swingarm. The bracket is a folded pocket attached to the swingarm with a gap just large enough for the tab on the end of the stay to fit into, then the shouldered bolt is run through

and secured with a nut, split washer and cotter pin, pinning the stay in place

The bolt attaches using the standard nut, washer and split washer. I chose to locate the 18mm washer on the outside of the bracket to try to save the powder coat from the ravages of a naked bolt head...

Next, I connected the stay to the brake panel using a special "T" shaped shouldered bolt that fits into a slot formed into the rear of the panel

There are a couple of styles of this bolt; later versions have a more standard hex head but still fit into the slot.

Once the bolt was in position, I installed the stay onto the brake panel in the following sequence:

At upper left is the panel with bolt installed. Next, the large rubber washer is inserted over the bolt. At lower left the brake stay has been installed, followed (in the last pic) by the mounting washer, nut and "R" clip. It's important that the stay arm connection be free to flex, so I used a washer with a small enough ID to fit over the threaded portion of the bolt but not so large that it slides onto the shoulder and locks the stay in place. Like so many of my ex-girlfriends, that stay rod just wants to be free...

Here's an overall pic of the assembled brake stay

Next: the brake pedal. I began this step by connecting the brake rod to the actuator lever with both parts off the bike. Trying to connect the two with the lever and pedal installed means crawling around under the bike and other undignified maneuvers, so it's best to get it all over with right at the outset. With the lever pointing to the left, I joined the two parts together using the little "T" pin (inset). Note that the curve of the rod connector is oriented upward. The pin is then locked into place via a cotter pin

Once this pre-assembly was done, I installed the lever onto the bike via a bracket on the frame. I copiously greased the inside bore of the bracket and the lever shaft, then inserted the shaft into the bore from the rear

Next, I fitted the brake arm to the brake cam pivot shaft. On a side note, it's interesting that this method of brake activation (a paddle-shaped cam forcing the ends of the shoes apart) is fairly unchanged from Renault's original patent of 1902, and is almost exactly the same (smaller but unchanged) as the brake mechanism in my 1926 Model T Ford...

Model T Ford Brake

The cam shaft extends from the brake panel; it's splined, but Honda left a raised "tab" as a locator for the arm and cover, both of which have corresponding notches that fit the tab

Before I actually fit the arm there are a couple of preliminary details to take care of. First, this felt dust seal is inserted over the shaft (below left) and into the little groove provided for it...

...then a special cover goes on over the seal (above right). This cover is marked with an arrow to help keep track of brake wear; as the brake shoes wear the arrow rotates closer to a punch mark on the brake panel boss, indicating maximum wear limits. Here's how it looks, shamelessly purloined from the Honda Shop Manual

The arrow and wear mark are circled

With the seal and cover in place I installed the brake arm

Two things to note about the above photo: first is that the right-hand chain adjustment bolt has been removed for clarity and, second, I fitted the brake arm by aligning the punch marks present on both the cam shaft and the arm (inset).

Now that the brake arm has been installed,  I rotated the lever until the punch mark on the end of the shaft was in the (roughly) 12:00 position...

...then slid the brake rod joint (the dowel-shaped widget inset below) into the hoops on the brake arm with the internal bore oriented horizontally; I dropped the rod spring down over the rod, then inserted the whole assembly through the bore in the joint, adding he adjuster nut to keep it all in place

Next in line is the kickstart pedal. I'll have to install this and the footrest before fitting the brake pedal; the height of the brake pedal is determined by the footrest, so that's gotta go in first, and it's just difficult to mess with the kickstart pedal after the brake pedal is installed, so I'm doing it like this. The kickstart is easy enough; I roughly aligned it in a vertical position, then slid it onto the kickstart gear shaft and bolted it down

The footrests come next. I restored these with new parts all the way 'round and a couple of coats of POR-15 Blackcote

My first step was to assure that the lower rear engine hanger bolt, which is where the footrests will be installed, was inserted evenly and that equal amounts of the bolt extended from either side of the frame

Now, this isn't just a rude gesture...

...the footrest mounts each have a little "finger" extending from its base. As the mount is fitted over the hanger bolt, this finger slides under a small post extending from the side of the frame, locking the footrest into position.

I slid each footrest into place on the hanger bolt, then secured each side with nuts, washers and lock washers, making sure that the nuts were tightened evenly so that equal portions of the bolt extended from either side:

Right

Left

While on left side of the bike, I added the gear selector lever. I installed it in a roughly horizontal position as there are no alignment marks; I'll adjust it if I have to once the bike is road ready...

Back to the brake pedal side, with the footrests and kickstarter installed, I reached for the brake pedal (finally!). First, I inserted the spring loosely over the lever shaft making sure that the long "leg" of the spring extended forward, with the shorter "leg" hooked into a notch formed by a frame gusset...

...then slid the pedal onto the lever shaft using the punch marks provided on each part (below, inset). Once the pedal is in place, the long leg of the spring snaps around the lower pedal arm and, voilĂ ! It's a brake pedal!

The final bit of assembly is the pedal height bolt. It screws into a small tab attached to the frame. I've seen it assembled officially by Honda two different ways: with the head pointing down and with the head pointing up, like it is here (and, I might add, the way it's shown in the Honda Shop Manual). The owner's manual has it with the head down. With the head on the bottom of the tab, the bolt is merely screwed completely into the tab, and the bolt head thickness is used to set pedal height. With the bolt pointed up there's a little more adjustment leeway, which is why I've oriented it this way

I adjusted it so that the pedal was 1/4" below the footrest, measured horizontally. Really, the determining factor is the lower hanger bolt nut; adjust the pedal height so that the pedal arm doesn't contact the bolt and you'll be solid...

And that completes assembly of the rear brake. If you're sharp you'll have noticed that I have not addressed the brake light switch. Never fear; I'll get to that when I install the wiring system and lights...

But wait! There's more!

Here's a little tip from MC Rider to help center the brake in the hub. It goes like this:

"[This is the] technique for centering the brake plate. You would have everything hooked up. The axle should be finger tight. Press the brake pedal, or run the adjuster up or whatever to activate the brake. That will center the plate. While holding the brake activated, tighten the axle. Now you'll have the best it can be."

That pretty well explains it. After completing this procedure I know that my brakes are the best they can be! Thanks, MC!

In conclusion, here's an overall view of the rear brake assembly, ready to do its thing. Just one more step towards completion

Next episode: Exhaust! Yes, I know there are those of you out there who appreciate what this implies... it has to be done; there's just no getting around it, so I might as well address it now. I'm sure it will all work out for the best in the end... after all, what could possibly go wrong?

'til next time
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:40:34 pm by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Brakes - Rear Brake & Accessories
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
Cool, very shiny bits...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2013, 11:37:26 am »
Cool, very shiny bits...

Well, that's not the first time I've been accused of having those!  ;D

Thanks for participating!

Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0

Offline AbbyRider

• Hot Shot
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
Nice work Ron. Patience is certainly a virtue when rebuilding these bikes. Can't wait for the next photos.
'98 VTR1000 Superhawk
'78 CB750F
'77 CB750F (in the works)
'81 KZ650 sitting in pieces in my basement

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:36 am »

Nice work Ron. Patience is certainly a virtue when rebuilding these bikes. Can't wait for the next photos.

Thanks, Abby. You shouldn't have to wait long; I should have the next installment posted later this week, so stay tuned!  :D

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2013, 12:27:26 pm »

Thanks, Abby. You shouldn't have to wait long; I should have the next installment posted later this week, so stay tuned!  :D

Awesome. I've been using this thread along with the manual to re-assemble my 550. Such a great resource!

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2013, 01:43:22 pm »
Awesome. I've been using this thread along with the manual to re-assemble my 550. Such a great resource!

Glad to hear it! That is the name of the game with this thread; building the bike and sharing the process was always part of the plan! Glad you've found it helpful.

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:29 pm »

Which is why he is seriously considering making this into a book for posterity.   ;D

G
'76 CB550K

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2013, 02:16:34 pm »

Which is why he is seriously considering making this into a book for posterity.   ;D

G

I have it all printed out in a 3-ring binder already- first edition? :)

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »
Write me a check for $19.95 on the back of a fifty dollar bill and I'll be happy to reserve you a copy!   ;D

Offline SohRon

• Expert
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Installing the Exhaust
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »
he is seriously considering making this into a book for posterity...  I have it all printed out in a 3-ring binder already- first edition...

Glad to hear the thread has been of assistance. Feel free to download anything you wish; that must be some full three-ring!   ;D

As far as some kind of book project, I suppose that is always a possibility some day, but it hasn't been my main purpose as far as this thread is concerned. It was conceived and has been produced in order to help anyone who is attempting to piece one of these bikes back together. Ever tear something apart, then have a difficult time remembering where it all goes? Didn't you wish you had taken a few pics beforehand? Well, that's what I'm doing; providing the pictures, and a little commentary to boot. If it helps anyone out, I've succeeded with my purpose and all of the effort has been worth it.

And, not to forget, I'll have one sparkly "new" bike when it's all said and done.   8)

On to the build. This session will cover installation of the exhaust system, and I'll try to use as few pics from that other thread as I can.  ;)  The stock exhaust is fairly uncomplicated, but there are a couple of tricks that might help installation go a little easier, and I'll try to cover them in the post. While the following procedure may not be the only (or even best) way to do it, it gets the job done and, after all, that's what we're here for.

Installing the exhaust is a kind of milestone for me because that's where my previous incarnation of this thread fell to pieces, along with the build. It turned out that the frame was tweaked and it wasn't obvious 'til I began fitting the pipes. It was the next to last procedure I undertook, so the bike was 80 - 90% complete when the anomaly was discovered, and it lead to dis-assembly of all the work I'd done and the purchase of a new frame. Here are a couple of shots of the old frame so you can see just what the problem was

What happened was that somehow the exhaust mounting "ear" on the frame had been bent out of position and extended outboard of the frame by about an inch more than it should, which, in turn, twisted and collapsed the down tube. In fact, when comparing the old frame with the new one, I found the difference to be 15/16 of an inch when measuring between the exhaust mount "ears" on each frame. I suspect the PO must have hit (or been hit by) something with the passenger footrest extended, yanking the "ear" out of position... frankly, it's anybody's guess. All I know is that it put the kibosh on that build as I wasn't going to go to all of the time, effort and expense of doing a meticulous restoration of all of the bike's components only to put it all on a bent frame. While an expert told me the frame could be easily fixed, it just wasn't good enough for this build and, in the end, I found myself starting over with a new frame. Such is life. Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

But that was then, and this is now; let's go eat some bear, shall we?

First step will be mounting the kick stand (or "side" stand, if you prefer). Here it is, all laid out with its associated spring, pivot bolt, nut and washer.

There's not much to it, so installation is pretty simple. First, the stand is located on its frame mount so that the hole in the stand "ear" lines up with that on the mount (below left)

I added a bit of grease inside the hole (above right), then inserted the bolt. The kick stand itself is threaded on the rear "ear", so the pivot bolt is inserted through the front "ear", then the frame mount, and is then torqued down tight, leaving part of the bolt exposed in the rear. The nut and washer are then added, locking the pivot bolt in place (below)

Note that Honda does not require the lock washer... I included it because, well, that's just how I am...   :D

Once the stand is mounted, the spring is installed. It has an interesting configuration in that the spring "hooks" are offset to the side of the spring coil, rather than extending from the center as in most springs, allowing it to sit fairly flat along the body of the stand (inset)

I've actually seen this spring in two configurations: one like that depicted in the inset, where both "hooks" are offset to the same side, and a slightly different approach where the longer "frame side" hook (or "eye") is centered on the coil, while the shorter "stand side" hook is offset, as can be seen in the above pic. I expect that this is simply a change between years, but either spring will do the job.

No matter how you approach it, installing this spring is, to put it in technical terms, an effing bear. There are substantiated reports of folks using coins between the coils to stretch the spring out to the proper length, but  I just hooked the upper "hook" to its mount on the frame (a short metal dowel - it has a groove near its end that the spring snaps into); then, using a good pair of vise-grips, I grabbed the lower "hook" and, with the application of some good old-fashioned elbow grease, moosed that sucker down over the stand mount -  a hook extending from the stand "arm"  about half way down its length. While it wasn't easy, it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and, really, anyone with a couple of hairs on their chest should be able to accomplish the task without too much difficulty. I'm not knocking anyone else's technique; I'm just suggesting you try it this way before you go breaking into the piggy bank.

Some folks have reported successfully installing the stand spring by hooking it to its mounts on the lever and frame prior to installing the stand; the stand is then used to stretch the spring as it's (the stand) being positioned on the frame (pic #4, above). The bolt is then slid into position and Bob's your uncle. I tried it this way and nearly pulled the bike over onto myself; to be honest, I may not have given it the shot it deserved as there are those out there who swear by the method and find it difficult to conceive of doing it any other way... at any rate, it's something to consider.

A good side stand spring is extremely important. I was following a friend once whose spring was either stretched out or the wrong part, and somehow the stand managed to fall at some point during the ride (I had seen him raise it as we left the parking lot, so it wasn't a matter of him spacing it to begin with). As we went to make a left-hand turn onto the highway, that stand planted itself in the asphalt like a ski pole and the whole bike did a quick pivot around it before crashing to earth and skidding 20 or 30 feet down the pavement in a cloud of sparks and dirt. I was right behind him on the CL350 and had to do some fairly fancy maneuvering to avoid becoming part of the disaster. Needless to say (but I will anyway) the experience was not good for either the bike or the rider. It happened some forty years ago, now, but he still carries the scars to this day.

With the side stand installed, I turned my attention to the main course: the exhaust pipes. Here they are in nice, sparkly new condition with the mounting brackets and center stand cushion (inset) already installed

I got these from BikeBandit a couple of years ago and paid something like $700 - $800 for them; nowadays, since they're no longer being made, I've seen people wanting stupid crazy prices in the thousands of dollars for a set like this. At this point, they may be the most valuable part of the bike...

Here's a look at the hardware I'll be using to mount the pipes

From top to bottom are the exhaust mount "joints", below those are the joint spacers (or "collars"), then the four copper gaskets, the mounting nuts and split washers, the rear mount bolts, and the balancer tubes and clamps. Smack in the middle bottom, trying to remain inconspicuous but failing miserably, are the passenger foot rests, which I'll install along with the pipes.

I began by inserting the copper gaskets into the exhaust ports

These should fit snugly and hold themselves in place by frictional pressure; if they're loose and won't stay in place, check to see that you have the right gaskets or, more likely, the old mashed up gaskets are still in the port and need to be removed. Gaskets in the ports are a relatively common malady that can cause all kinds of mischief because it's not always obvious that they're still there; they kind of get squished flat and can appear to be part of the port.  The gasket area around the port should be flat with no ridges or steps. If you do find old gaskets in your ports, they're easy to remove using a flat-bladed screwdriver.

Now comes the fun part: installing the pipes themselves. I began by laying them out in order on each side of the bike. It's easy to tell which pipe goes where if you follow a couple of simple rules: first off, the mounting brackets are oriented inward toward the bike, so that'll let you know which pipe goes on which side of the bike; and, secondly, the balance tube flanges extending from each muffler should point toward each other, so that lets you know which pipe goes on the bottom (inside) and which on top (outside). The top pipes are installed on the outer cylinders (NOs 1 & 4); the bottom pipes on cyls 2 & 3.  Simple enough. The longer mounting brackets are installed on the bottom pipes, while the short ones go on the uppers...

Next, I "hooked" each header in the exhaust port openings so that the pipes were oriented roughly in the correct position. The flange on the end of the header is caught by the port opening and fins and will hold the pipe in place while it's being attached at the muffler

One thing to note about the above photo is that I've slid the joint for each pipe down onto the muffler so that it'll be ready for later. Once the rear mounts are attached, it's nearly impossible to get these things on, so now's the time to install them. They should be oriented so that the step in the joint "face" is pointing forward (inset). It seems like it would be a good idea to actually mount the joints onto the studs at the port, thereby aiding in holding the pipes in position, but doing so causes the pipes to bind and makes installation at the muffler difficult, so they're just sitting there for now, patiently awaiting their moment in the spotlight, all the while tossing out crude remarks about trains going through tunnels, ring toss, and other vaguely suggestive observations of a questionable moral character...

With everything in place, I inserted the rear mounting bolt (with washer) through the hole in the footrest bracket (below right, inset), then through the corresponding hole in the top (outer) muffler bracket (in this case, pipe #4).  Pivoting the pipe upward, I aligned the bolt with the hole in the frame mount "ear", then pressed it through, entrapping both the footrest and muffler brackets on the outside of the "ear". With the bolt holding everything in position, I prepared for the next step by installing the balancer tube and clamp onto the flange on the bottom (#3) muffler (inset)

This next bit is a real juggling act. As the bottom pipe is raised into position the header flange must stay in place in the port while the muffler bracket is inserted from behind onto the mounting bolt extending from the rear of the frame mount "ear". Simultaneously, the balancer tube is slipped onto the flange protruding down from the top muffler, entrapping the tube between the mufflers. It all happened so fast that I'm not really sure how I accomplished this feat, but I think I withdrew the mounting bolt until only a slight nub protruded from the rear of the "ear", inserted the balancer tube up onto the flange in the top muffler, and then pressed the bolt on through the hole in the muffler bracket. There's a bit of finagling to do in order to get everything into the proper position, but once it's there it's all held in place with a loosely installed nut and split washer (inset). I don't want to tighten anything down yet as I'll need some "wiggle" room for the next step

I began the final procedure by sliding the joints up the header to their position at the port. The collars are installed around the pipe with the flanged end toward the joint, where they slip into the "step" described earlier. The other end butts up against the flange on the header (inset). As far as orientation of the collars is concerned, Honda doesn't really specify how they should go, either vertically or horizontally; I've positioned them vertically after a forum member suggested they might drain water better that way... makes sense to me, so that's how I've done it

Now, the pipes will have some manufacturing tolerances to them and those big copper "O-rings" take up a lot of space, so when it comes time to slide the joint/collar/header assembly into place in the port not much of the stud is left exposed behind the joint for the nuts and split washers to fit onto. The trick here is to install the nuts, torque them down to specs, then remove them one at a time so that the washers can be added. You don't want to forget the split washers as they're a safety feature, and it's not a good thing to have your pipes coming loose in the middle of a run...

Right side complete; time for the other side, where it's "second verse same as the first" (and if you know what song that line came from and can even sing a couple of bars, you are old...)

The final step, with everything properly fitted, is to tighten up all of the nuts and bolts I've left loose, finishing up with the screws on the balancer tubes

And there we have it: shiny new pipes for the bike. Here's a shot of the completed installation

Now, that wasn't so bad, was it? No surprises and everything came together as it should (whew)! Next episode will cover installation of the dreaded electrical system, and that will be quite the project, so I expect it will be another two-part post. It includes things like the rear fender and clutch cable, which at first blush might not seem to have any relationship to the wiring, but there's a method to my madness, and I guess you're just going to have to trust me that it will all come together!

'til next time
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:14:40 pm by SohRon »

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:57 pm »
SR,
Holy smokin' sweet bike, Batman!!!  It is looking unbelievably fantastic!  Must be nice to get back to the point where you had to punt on your last assembly go around.  Sooooo close!  We're all rooting for you.

Peace,
G
'76 CB550K

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »
Thanks, Gman; I appreciate the encouragement. It's actually starting to look like a motorcycle, isn't it? I did feel a sense of completion as I finished up the pipe install... felt like I finally got the chance to put a close to something I started long ago. Things should be smooth sailing from now on, right?  ;D

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2013, 05:07:46 am »

Now that the brake arm has been installed,  I rotated the lever until the punch mark on the end of the shaft was in the (roughly) 12:00 position...

...then slid the brake rod joint (the dowel-shaped widget) into the hoops on the brake arm with the internal bore oriented horizontally; I dropped the rod spring down over the rod, then inserted the whole assembly through the bore in the joint, adding he adjuster nut to keep it all in place

Were you able to slide the brake shaft without removing anything else? On my 76F, it has an extra tab that pulls the brake switch, and I had to remove the swingarm bolt and lift the front end of it up in order for it to fit because I had the wheel and shocks already installed. It wasn't that big of a deal,  but perhaps I should have done that before I put the shocks and wheel on to make it a bit easier.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:10:29 am by KennyRedman »

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2013, 05:34:55 am »
I'm not very familiar with the "F" models, but, yeah, it slides right in without any interference on the "K" bike, swingarm, shocks and all! Here's another shot with it only partially installed:

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »
No matter how you approach it, installing this spring is, to put it in technical terms, an effing bear. There are substantiated reports of folks using coins between the coils to stretch the spring out to the proper length, but  I just hooked the upper "hook" to its mount on the frame (a short metal dowel - it has a groove near its end that the spring snaps into); then, using a good pair of vise-grips, I grabbed the lower "hook" and, with the application of some good old-fashioned elbow grease, moosed that sucker down over the stand mount -  a hook extending from the stand "arm"  about half way down its length. While it wasn't easy, it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and, really, anyone with a couple of hairs on their chest should be able to accomplish the task without too much difficulty. I'm not knocking anyone else's technique; I'm just suggesting you try it this way before you go breaking into the piggy bank.

Brake spring tool.  Allows for virtually effortless installation of the kick stand spring.

Awesome assembly pix as usual, btw.
Yeah, publish your work! 
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »
Wow! Looks like a good tool to keep around. Wonder if it would work on the Bug...

Thanks for the encouragment, CR!  8)

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2013, 10:01:35 pm »
Feel like a broken record, but had to comment  ;D.... The bike looks fantastic! Just as amazing is the work you put into the pictures and presentation.  Very nice!!!
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2013, 06:37:37 am »
Wow! Looks like a good tool to keep around. Wonder if it would work on the Bug...

Thanks for the encouragement, CR!  8)

Should work with any drum brakes. The other end is for installing the shoe retaining pins.
I've used it on my '40 Ford PU and my '02 Tundra, among others. :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »
Feel like a broken record, but had to comment  .... The bike looks fantastic! Just as amazing is the work you put into the pictures and presentation.  Very nice!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of people commenting on the bike and pictures.... Not!   ;D   Thanks for the kind words and the support. It's good to hear that my efforts are appreciated. Makes me want to do more!

Should work with any drum brakes. The other end is for installing the shoe retaining pins.
I've used it on my '40 Ford PU and my '02 Tundra, among others.

Sweet! Sooo... what is it called and where can I get one?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:58:40 pm by SohRon »

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2013, 06:41:55 am »
I've used it on my '40 Ford PU and my '02 Tundra, among others.

Sweet! Sooo... what is it called and where can I get one?

Well, iirc, I got mine from the trunk of a '66 Mustang I bought back in 1996...
I no longer have the Mustang but I still have the tool! ::)

However, the tool can be obtained from other sources such as
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-46750-Brake-Spring-Tool/dp/B0009OR8XE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377092081&sr=8-5&keywords=brake+spring+tool

There are various other designs for tools that perform the same function but that's the one I have.

Oh, and great pix btw!   ;D

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
been a while since i checked in and boy do i have some catching up to do.  i wonder how honda managed those pipes on the assembly line.

as for the song... the name game?

oh yeah. first rate work as usual!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.