Author Topic: TEAM MID ATLANTIC ROUTING THREAD - Mission Accomplished!!!  (Read 41178 times)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Thanks for the info, I'll be posting updates soon in the "Godzilla Slept Here" thread.  By the way, somewhere along the Mid Atlantic ride, Godzilla rolled the odometer 10,000 miles!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline gschuld

• Master
Some pictures from yesterday...

After some sightseeing with Jon(Philly550K1) in center city, we met up with the Chin on the tank club for it's weekly Thursday night vintage bike ride.  There were some nice bikes around, with nearly all the vintage bikes being 70's Hondas, and GZ felt right at home.  We went out for a 45 minute or so blast and ended up at a bar trading big fish stories.  This was my first ride with these guys, but as long as they'll have me, I plan on going back for more.

I plan on giving GZ a good bit of traveling over the weekend.  Nortstudio(from Brooklyn) reached out to me trying to figure when we should meet up for a hand off. 

Here is my thinking so far:

Tonight:  Probably head out to the Seaside Boardwalk for some of the Sawmill's giant 27" Pizzas.  Giant lizards eat giant pizzas right?  Then on for a few photo opportunities and general mischief on the boards.

Saturday:  Looking at heading down to the Milleville Air/vintage car/bike show in southern Jersey, then perhaps some gambling in Atlantic City, or possibly out to Long Beach Island and the Barnegat lighthouse.  I'm flexible. 

Sunday:  Assuming this would be a good day to hand the beast over to Nortstudio, I am giving serious consideration to heading out early on Sunday, meeting back up in Philly with the Chin on the Tank crowd (chinonthetank.com) for their Sunday 10am breakfast and ride.  I had such a good time with these guys last night I'm ready to go back already!  Plus a daylight ride would offer better photo opportunities.  Afterward head north up through perhaps New Hope, Frenchtown, and through Hunterdon and Summerset counties winding back across the state and over into Brooklyn sometime in the evening.

Below are the details for the Philly vintage bike club ride Sunday morning:

"10 - 11am, meet at the Green Line cafe at 43rd and Baltimore.

Get 30% off your breakfast order if you come on a cycle.

We hang out for a bit, then do a ride through Fairmount park afterwards. Come meet up."

The details for Sunday's ride was not set in stone as of last night.  they have been looking at longer day rides with the good weather. 

I could hold on to GZ longer beyond Sunday, but I don't want to monopolize his time!  I think that he is looking forward to storming the big apple!

George

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:50:07 pm by gschuld »

Offline gschuld

• Master
During our Philly tour,  Jon though it would be fitting for us to have Godzilla visit the headquarters for Revzilla, the online motorcycle supply house based in Philly.

Hopefully Jon will post a funny shot he took at the Liberty Bell, then we went on to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and brought the bikes out in front of the steps for a shot with the banner.

Then GZ got impatient and tried to ride off on my bike to terrorize the city on his own.  Knowing not to trust him, I had the ignition key in my pocket.  Geico or otherwise, never trust a lizard!

George

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
Sounds like you are hitting up the sites!  This northeast run is going to be hard to beat. NYC has some big shoes to follow, but the regions after Team Mid-Atlantic will have it even harder!!!

I'm game for Sunday, especially if it is going to remain decent weather. Let me know if you're still up for it. That would give me a chance to touch base with Billy Joel's people again and see about the ride out to see his collection.

Were you thinking of cruising into Brooklyn?  I have a freshly minted garage space (off the curb finally) where we could meet. Give you a chance to park and check any fixes after a long ride.

Otherwise, I could meet you in the city.

Scott

1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
George, you have done an amazing job. You will be a tough act to follow. With Scott in the Apple you two will be a force to reckon with.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Philly550K1

• Hot Shot
i posted a few in the "rider logs" section...  what else we got....

godzilla misses hearing his native tongue, a honda 50 cub from my buddy's shop, a 750 dying on the sidewalk, sunset over the water works and boathouse row, and, in a shocking and sudden twist of the plot that nobody expected except almost everybody, a fairly recognizable setting from a non-rocky-related hollywood blockbuster.

Offline gschuld

• Master
Jon(Philly550k1),

Nice pictures.  That Liberty Bell one still kills me :)!  Are you up for the "chin on the tank" breakfast/bike ride on Sunday?  Looks like Sunday will be my all day ride   ...finishing in Brooklyn.

Nortstudio,

I have every intention on driving straight into Brooklyn.  Just give me a location fitting the arrival of the undesputed king of the reptiles!  My arrival will very likely be an evening event unless things head in a very unplanned direction.  I expect to have a very long riding day with my new friend ;)

George

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
George,

You are the man!  Looks like I will have a day or two like sunday, by the time this thing gets handed off to New England. Williamsburg, Brooklyn will be the destination.  And while I'm not sure it befits his stature, he will be able to eat all the hipsters and models he can get his mitts on!

I will PM all the details.

Ride safe!
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
Team, we also have our heroes in Mid Atlantic. Scott (Nortstudio) will taking the handoff from George (gschuld) in Brooklyn.
We have an appointment to meet Team New England at the Rhinebeck Vintage Bike Show. We will be on the official program for the show.

Anyone in North NJ, or PA or anywhere for that matter can join up for the final leg. I will post this map of the final route that will hug the eastern shore of the Hudson and wind through the river towns. The meetup point is where many highways converge which is why I picked it. If you can't ride and want to drive as support vehicles please do. We can probably get you some seat time during the leg so you can sign the book and banner as a rider.

Here is the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-202+W%2FUS-6+W%2FBear+Mountain+Bridge+Rd&daddr=41.33973,-73.95828+to:41.45727,-73.98142+to:Rhinebeck,+NY+to:41.50938,-73.97767+to:41.327241,-73.968683+to:Palisades+Interstate+Pkwy&geocode=Ff4pdgId9NKX-w%3BFVLLdgIdeHyX-ylJYO82oM7CiTEt3FnZnrOYcg%3BFXaWeAIdFCKX-ym3aocxHTPdiTHdwLywGuST1g%3BFTXUfwIdE0OY-ynLJOP-NwzdiTEJCYe63Kz3KA%3BFQRieQIdujCX-ymxsJf8eTHdiTE97Hm_6qJgsA%3BFYmadgId1VOX-ymTLIfVk87CiTHrLTg2eGBoeA%3BFRK6bwIdXpuX-w&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=10&via=1,2,4,5&sll=41.275742,-73.67981&sspn=0.529456,1.234589&ie=UTF8&ll=41.275742,-73.67981&spn=0.529456,1.234589&output=embed     

Click on the Google logo in the left corner to open up a full sized map you can use to figure your route to the meetup points.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:50:49 am by BobbyR »

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline cobra2411

• Enthusiast
Any idea of the dates and meetup times for the final leg to Rhinebeck? I know there is a meet there scheduled on the 11th, but I'd like to take part in the ride.

Thanks,

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
Any idea of the dates and meetup times for the final leg to Rhinebeck? I know there is a meet there scheduled on the 11th, but I'd like to take part in the ride.

Thanks,

Welcome to the Rally. The Rhinebeck date is Saturday June 11. It is also Andy's birthday.

Offline cobra2411

• Enthusiast
Is there going to be a ride to Rhinebeck or do we just meet there?

Offline gschuld

• Master
"Today's big news at 6!  It appears the entire population of Staten Island has desended on the Seaside Heights boardwalk today."

Offline gschuld

• Master
Caption:

"Wow, these humans really aren't worth eating are they?"

Offline gschuld

• Master
"Lighthouses are fun to bash!  My giant piston will make quick work of you ...then off to Atlantic City!"

Offline gschuld

• Master
"The lighthouse was just a warm up..."

Offline gschuld

• Master
"look bub, I'll make you a deal.  Just win this next round, and I won't eat you!  Noooo pressure...."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:21:57 pm by gschuld »

Offline gschuld

• Master
"look ma, wind blown hair!"

Offline gschuld

• Master
Gz was tearing up the place all day today.  We went to Seaside Heights, the full length of Long Beach Island, Atlantic City, and lots of back roads in between them.  At some point I will try to write up something coherent, but for now, I am resting up for tomorrows ride.

Starting at the Shore(Toms River), heading out early to meet up with the 'Chin on the tank' vintage Honda gang of hooligans for breakfast and their longer weekly group ride starting at the Green Line Cafe in Philly at 10am.  Heading north afterward toward New Hope and back across the middle/upper part of the state's backroads until I reach Brooklyn to meet up with Nortstudio. 

Anyone who wants to join in, contact me and I'll try to accomodate anyone!

It should be a fun day!

George
732-966-7981
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:40:04 pm by gschuld »

Offline Philly550K1

• Hot Shot
those are fun. was that leonard nimoy at the video slots?  have fun on the scenic route northward.... -jon

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Just heard from George. He is headed NYC bound, leaving New Hope, PA. Sadly, I'm all by my lonesome here in Brooklyn due to the holiday, but wishing I had a bigger gang to greet him.

I'll have to turn up the thrills this week with some photos - and help from anyone that's willing to join in.

Scott
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:25:36 pm by BobbyR »

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
George, you are for sure the man what great pics!!!! 

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Shoot the Guido, funny. When I was in NYC in 2008 for the 5 Boroughs Bike Ride we drove over to Coney (we drove from Chicago), they had a Shoot the Freak at the Boardwalk, where you could shoot paintballs at a human. He wore a mask, but no armor. It was crazy.

Spent the night on SI too (we were considering a move to NYC in those days and were scouting possible places to live. We both like Staten quite a bit), the boardwalk was a bit more sedate, at least the part we hit, but it was a week day and kind of chilly.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
George, you are for sure the man what great pics!!!! 
1+
Remember, while Godzilla is the star, the supporting actors (riders) made it all possible. Please include them in the pics! ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....