Author Topic: Spin On OIl Filter Conversions  (Read 6645 times)

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
Spin On OIl Filter Conversions
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »
Has anyone done a comparison (especially oil pressure..) between the now-available spin on canister oil filters and the conversions that put a plate between the engine and the filter ? For those of us already using an oil cooler that works a lot better than that little finned cover, we don't need that. But I do want all the extra cleaning a real oil filter can provide. Any knowledge here?

Spirit

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
Re: Spin On OIl Filter Conversions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »
OK, don't all reply at once....

Spirit

Offline rboe

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »
I'm interested in one too.  8)
1974 CB350F
2008 XR650L
2012 Griso SE

Past iron
1971 Suzuki TS125
1977 Honda CJ360T
1981 Kawasaki 550Ltd
2000 Moto Guzzi Quota

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:40:41 pm »
Run, don't walk, from those spin-ons. If you want a superior filter, look to use the Filtro filters instead of the EMGO versions. They have a finer mesh.

The oil cooler fins on the stock oil filter housing actually work quite well. Adding the flow resistance that stacks up from the typical rerouted oil cooler drops the flow about 10% or more at the top of the head, so even most roadracers of the 1970s avoided them. Just a little FYI...  ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:41:00 am »
I have been using this one without any issues for over 3 years. For me it is so much easier to change oil , which in the Texas heat I do at 1k . I would certainly stay away from the cheap ebay units. Randakk seems to have some quality parts. The first pic is my filter on the day I bought this bike , quite common to be over tight , so tight it deformed and leaked !

http://www.randakks.com/Engine%20Parts.htm
Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
    • Lost Boy's Blog: Atomic Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:45:02 am »
Doesn't that take away from the look? Just a little? To each his / her own.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
1982 Honda GL1100i
2005 Yamaha Raptor 50
2009 Honda FourTrax Foreman Rubicon
2013 Yamaha WR250R

For my projects/activities: http://www.atomicgarage.net

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:30:37 am »
Doesn't that take away from the look? Just a little? To each his / her own.
The Randaask link indicates that black auto filters can be used. They also list some in chrome. If the finned look is your concern, yes that goes away.

HM indicates that TE oil pressure (or flow which may not be the same thing) is reduced 10% with a cooler.

But do spinons reduce pressure as the OP asks. The Randaask link seems to indicated most modern spinons are superior to the OEM combo design of bolt and cartridge.

Since I am starting from scratch with a gauge, i will try to document changes in pressure adding a cooler and or spin on filter. But the results may be inconclusive as pressure is measured from the BE.

Is the drop in oil temp (expected) enough of an advantage to offset the reduced TE oil flow? Does plumbing the cooler from the oil line connections help in this regard?

Time will tell. (maybe)

"Upgrading" to a spinon would help me as my FJR and Hawk take the same spinon, and I think the CB750 would too. Only stock 1 then.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:26 pm »
This is a good conversation. The Randakk conversion seems like the way to go, if not simply because it's Randakk. I'm also not sure that there'll be a 10% drop in top end oil pressure with the filter change - maybe if your filter is dirty but I doubt otherwise. Why would that happen? It's still a pressure module; you'll have much cleaner oil in your powerplant a all times; and I'll have a good Earl's oil cooler in the system with aircraft lines. It'll be as oil-tight as a small filter cartridge holder with an even smaller oil filter. Why would oil pressure be different, or lower? If anything, you could always shim the oil pressure relief spring and get back more than you would ever lose....

Spirit

bollingball

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:56 am »
This is a good conversation. The Randakk conversion seems like the way to go, if not simply because it's Randakk. I'm also not sure that there'll be a 10% drop in top end oil pressure with the filter change - maybe if your filter is dirty but I doubt otherwise. Why would that happen? It's still a pressure module; you'll have much cleaner oil in your powerplant a all times; and I'll have a good Earl's oil cooler in the system with aircraft lines. It'll be as oil-tight as a small filter cartridge holder with an even smaller oil filter. Why would oil pressure be different, or lower? If anything, you could always shim the oil pressure relief spring and get back more than you would ever lose....

Spirit

HM said Flow not pressure.
Ken

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:53:00 am »
does anyone have the link to these?
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:44 am »

Spirit
The pressure is measured relatively soon after leaving the pump, any changes made downstream won't be picked up by the gauge. Its not a closed system. Once it leaves the pump it is constantlly losing pressure until its gravity feed back to the sump. Changes like adding length via the cooler oil lines.

No expert here. And on the CB750 there is more pressure than needed so some can be spared.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:50:09 am »
I think the main misunderstanding there was that HondaMan was only (I think) saying a drop in TE pressure comes with the OIL COOLERS, which route away from the filter housing, and reduce flow.  Spin On Filters do not create that same drop in pressure.  That's what I picked up from what he wrote anyway. 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 06:20:14 am »
I think the main misunderstanding there was that HondaMan was only (I think) saying a drop in TE pressure comes with the OIL COOLERS, which route away from the filter housing, and reduce flow.  Spin On Filters do not create that same drop in pressure.  That's what I picked up from what he wrote anyway.
Yeah i agree, the cooler got thrown in to the topic. I can's see where the spinon by itself is an issue, other than the loss of the cooling fins. Which HM indicates are effective.

hate to bring this into it but it goes to "you can't improve what you can't measure." or words to that effect. An oil temp gauge is necessary, pressure gauge, and a high frequency of TE inspection, as neither the temp or pressure are measurable at that point. The first two, maybe. The last not so much. So we are just speculating. (Except for the weight given to HMs experience with #3.)

But that's fun too.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline exf5003

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:03 am »
I'm also curious on these spin on filters since it is such a hassle to change my oil with wrap on my 4 to 1 exhaust and the housing getting stuck.  I was looking into getting the Randakk kit for by 750 k4 but came across these simple chrome spin on oil filters:
 http://www.cb750supply.com/products/4/engine/74/lubrication-filters-o-rings-drain-plugs

It looks like it simply attaches with the bolt included in the filter. 
Has anyone used these or can share their input on which one to use and why?
thanks.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:15:50 am »
I used one for 1500 miles, than went back to original - couldnt find the right spin on - and for the oil change next week or so I have NAPA Gold 1390 ready thats suppose to work with the adapter/nipple. Will let you know if it worked.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 01:38:59 pm »
I'm also curious on these spin on filters since it is such a hassle to change my oil with wrap on my 4 to 1 exhaust and the housing getting stuck.  I was looking into getting the Randakk kit for by 750 k4 but came across these simple chrome spin on oil filters:
 http://www.cb750supply.com/products/4/engine/74/lubrication-filters-o-rings-drain-plugs

It looks like it simply attaches with the bolt included in the filter. 
Has anyone used these or can share their input on which one to use and why?
thanks.
I just recently started running/riding a 750 with what looks to be one of these installed by a previous owner, I can let you know what I think after I have had more time to evaluate.  I already don't like the pricing and availability though.  I can buy a stocker locally for around $10 without ordering...and I think it looks lame...
If it works good, it looks good...