Author Topic: Think my main output shaft seal is blown, she won't stop leaking :(  (Read 2122 times)

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
My cb750k4 has a major artery rupture. I thought it was the chain oiler for a long time but  tightened it up as tight as it goes, even took the whole bolt out and tightened the little center screw up and then put the bolt back in. All seemed ok after the first ride it wasn't really leaking at all but after leaving it sit over night it's still flowing oil out down the chain and kickstand.

After I originally got this motor back together it wasn't leaking at all and this has just gotten progressively worse.

PLEASE tell me you can replace the main output shaft seal without having to split the cases or even take the motor out?

My project thread:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107447.0

My CB750K4 Starting up for the first time after a seized motor and rebuild!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: Think my main output shaft seal is blown, she won't stop leaking :(
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:06:42 am »
Although I have never done it I know it can be done. Try a forum search I know I have read about people using a couple screws screwed into it in order to remove it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:20:08 am by brandEn »

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:12 am »
did the chain oiler have the rubber sleeve still intact when you pulled it out?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:20 am »
did the chain oiler have the rubber sleeve still intact when you pulled it out?
Right. And even if it does, there is not an "off" setting. There is only a "less" setting. I'd confirm the oiler is shut off. Screw a plug (spark plug with the ceramic broken off) in to be sure.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:06 am »
Correct, the oiler will leak even at the all the way in position.  You have to replace the poiler with some kind of a plug to stop the oil.

The main shaft seal actually came out on me when I got the bike, I cleaned it and put it back in and stayed there ever since.  It is easy to take the seal out if you don't have to reuse it.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:18:34 am »
You can replace the seal without taking the engine apart.
Also if your crankcase breather is not working it can cause the seals to blow out or leak.

Make sure your crankcase breather is not plugged up. Otherwise seals will have too much pressure on them.

When the piston is on the down stroke air is trapped under the piston and that air pressure must have a way to get out. Crankcase breather.

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:49 am »
The 1969-75 CB750 K bikes had three different styles of chain oilers. Diagram group numbers 18 and 25 have the earlier type and cannot be fully shut off. Group number 10 applies to the OP and his K4. This type can be shut off if desired by turning the adjusting screw clockwise until it gently bottoms out. This is assuming all the parts are present and in good working condition. The problem now is, that many of the oiler replacement parts are no longer available from Honda. The often messy chain oiler was eliminated altogether with the introduction of the 750 K6.

Joker Machine offers a machined plug when looks are important.

http://jokermachine.com/products/cafe-racer/honda-cb750-parts/cb750-chain-oiler-plug.html

(click on diagram for larger view)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:59 am »
Dream: we had a thread on this a few weeks ago. The adjustable oiler will not adjust to a fully closed position. No matter how far you crank the screw it will still pass some oil.

Several of us posit the Joker part does not appear to be long enough to cut off the flow either, though that should be confirmed.

That is why i mentioned the spark plug. The long thread of the "E" plug is long enough to reach in and cover the oiler hole.

PS: I just called Joker and while he (clerk) couldn't confirm it first hand, he says he never had one returned. So it probably works. Machinist not available at the time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:30:46 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 07:56:27 am »
I got M14 die on my list for the next time I am placing order at Enco, will make an aluminum plug with o-ring to seal it for good.

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35:26 am »
Dream: we had a thread on this a few weeks ago. The adjustable oiler will not adjust to a fully closed position. No matter how far you crank the screw it will still pass some oil.

Several of us posit the Joker part does not appear to be long enough to cut off the flow either, though that should be confirmed.

That is why i mentioned the spark plug. The long thread of the "E" plug is long enough to reach in and cover the oiler hole.

MC, perhaps our experiences are different and I stand by my unedited post. ;)

My 750 K4 oiler has the all parts in the diagram (group 10) and is fully shut off. If part #14 is deformed and/or damaged from being too tight, then it will leak as it’s made from soft rubber then a replacement will be needed. Ask me how I know.   

The short-looking Joker Machine plug does in fact work as it requires a sealer to fill the output shaft cavity before installation.

The spark plug trick you suggested is really the best solution so far, when its hidden by the sprocket cover.

I got M14 die on my list for the next time I am placing order at Enco, will make an aluminum plug with o-ring to seal it for good.

Having more options is always a good thing, looking forward to seeing your new plug!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:50:02 am »
Dream: If that's your experience, sounds good to me.  :D  Maybe mine was futzed up.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:38:59 am »
its self lubricating itself :P

good luck with the ifx

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »
Thanks for the valuable info guys, I'll take a closer look at it and try to narrow down the issue. Curious to check out my crankcase breather as well. I'll post a pic of my oiler.....it doesn't really look like whats in the diagram, sort of but not sure
My project thread:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107447.0

My CB750K4 Starting up for the first time after a seized motor and rebuild!

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
Also, have you fully cleaned and checked the case for cracks  around the sprocket?  I had this same problem.  Stopped up chain oiler did not fix it.  New main shaft seal did not fix it. (yes you can remove that seal without splitting the cases.  You just have to screw a couple drywall screws through the sheetmetal of the seal and pull/pry it out...although, I have read on here that certain years have a lip that prevents this.  Sorry, don't know  what years.  My k1 didn't.)  JB Weld over the crack in the case fixed it.
If it works good, it looks good...