Author Topic: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie.  (Read 20591 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie.
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »
 Agreed, nothing is shorted, there's just no circuit through the bundle. Even the Reserve lighting unit is working. If I was keeping it forever I'd buy a new harness but I have too much invested already. (Edit)  I found the open somehow it was near the switch and I could have fixed it easier but failed to diagnose it properly. Anyway I attempted to finish it but the fuel line won't reach the new petcock. It's always something.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:10:48 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2018, 02:50:26 pm »
 I got it all working perfectly. I put on the tank and gassed it up, turned the key to start it and the reserve lighting unit began blinking the tail light warning light. I changed and checked the tail light bulb with no effect. Now I'm going back into the wiring, my suspicion is the 6 wire plug near the RLU. Also the red tail light wire had a twist joint in it and it's outside of the harness bundle. I  removed two wire nuts on the lighting circuit under the coils and put in a pair of bullet connectors, I'm back in there too.  So far nothing. Chilton doesn't seem to have much that helps except a black and white wiring diagram.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2018, 06:20:11 pm »
Brake light failure indicator switch, it's a piece of coal on 3 wires under the gas tank. I tied it up with a cable tie and apparently stressed the wires. The plug is nearly incinerated from engine heat. I'm on the trail of a new one or may try to solder it past the plug in.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie. Finally ready for a new test ride.
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2018, 08:23:05 pm »
 I opened the harness again, eliminated the PO's tail light shortcut wire. found the open in the factory harness, fixed it near the frame neck. I put a piece of rubber electrical tape on top of the brake light relay and used a cable tie to hold the wires down so it works again until I find a working nice one.
 All of the lights are working as delivered, I put corrugated cover over the harness to protect it a little since the factory cover was removed twice and difficult to re-install.
 It's too bad I had it apart all day it was in the mid 50's here so I rode the Goldwing to the parts store.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »
 Since then I test rode it at 50*F it ran great, on a right turn I drug the V&H header. My parts kz1100 has a kerker on it that tucks tighter under the engine before it pops out from under. I think the forks need heavier fork oil (or just oil) and as I was told the progressive rear shocks are plenty stiff.
 I started it inside and it started and idles great, then I rolled it out in the cold and before long it began popping and farting. I'm thinking it wants more pilot jet, or more idle screw once I understand how it works. it has smog ports that pull air from the crankcase and suck it out the exhaust. I'm told that can be plugged and is why the pipes blue so badly. (In addition to being lean too)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2018, 02:04:52 pm »
 It's been off the stand since I started on my K0 750 but I did take my own advise and order a used complete airbox with the silencer, filter and new carb connectors. I may have overpaid but it's all there with new parts included.

Now I have baffled pods for sale lol.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie. ordered a stock airbox and silencer.
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2018, 09:16:25 am »
 The progressive shocks are like struts. I need to take them back off and do some checking.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2018, 01:11:54 am »
Ha ha, sounds like the ones I bought for my Triumph Rocket III Don, I'm not a fan, I could have bought much better Ikons for much less money.......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2018, 08:53:54 pm »
 I cleaned and tested the carbs and float levels off the bike, It sat a couple weeks and I wrestled the airbox and carbs back on. The fuel lines are also a nightmare to put on and I finally used spark plug wire puller pliers to get the lines on. Now, the fuel tees between the carbs are leaking.  Just my luck.
  It does sound better and doesn't sneeze all the time, since I did the carb clean and the airbox I'm not sure what fixed it. 

If I have to take it all apart I'll try the pods again just as a test.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie. put on a stock airbox and silencer.
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2018, 06:23:35 pm »
 I warmed it up and no sign of gas leaking so far. The clutch was stuck hard so I asked on a kawi forum and someone suggested prying the plates loose with a screwdriver through the oil fill hole. I did that while pouring some mobil one on them and it worked like a charm. I also returned the forks to stock height, they had been slipped through the triples.

I may take it for a ride with no plate, it looks nothing like a Honda so a plate switch won't impress the gendarmes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:41:43 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2018, 06:36:56 pm »
 I've got $3200 in it and would be tickled to get that back out. for another $200 I'd throw in the 82 1100 J model parts bike. I'd really like to build a 1327 motor with the J head and a nice set of cams. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:42:52 pm by Don R »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2018, 07:29:42 pm »
More pics please Don, I've got a crap imagination? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:45 pm »
 I'll roll it out and take some more. Someone here asked about it, was the reason for a price. 

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:56 pm »
Don, wouldn't need a jumper between two different colors in the headlight bucket like several Honda models have, would it?  Just a shot in the dark...
Someone on a Kawa forum could confirm... 750 and 550 harnesses sometimes had a black wire connecting to a blue wire in the headlight bucket...which seems counter-intuitive...
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 07:48:19 pm »
Don, wouldn't need a jumper between two different colors in the headlight bucket like several Honda models have, would it?  Just a shot in the dark...
Someone on a Kawa forum could confirm... 750 and 550 harnesses sometimes had a black wire connecting to a blue wire in the headlight bucket...which seems counter-intuitive...
David
It had an open wire in the harness. I got it repaired by soldering and shrink tube. I hope it lasts, I just couldn't leave a jumper in the bike's harness. Too picky I guess.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 08:34:50 pm »
There is a jumper that honda used in the headlight bucket connecting the blue wire to the black wire or something like that which seems unreal but true.  Without it the running lights do not work correctly. The black goes to the ignition switch which turns to brown on switched power and the running lights are then powered as well as other circuits.
Memory errors possible of course...

Just wondering if this kind of think was happening with your Kawa harness.  Glad you found the issue.  Was it easy to find like a break at the steering neck?

Weather is like a month late but not...june or july temps but here it has been May showers instead of April showers...still have had plenty of flowers... bugs here will be unbearable this year as another super mild winter.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2018, 10:28:14 am »
   It was a broken wire near the neck. Our winter seemed long too, I'm hoping the bugs aren't too bad, I just test rode the 400F at 80 and I only caught a few bugs but it's early. 

Here is the KZ,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xdVIrcFjpxu8sAVG2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rBakvA6xXVETfbuh1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/r7LcdUuqTIXaRmF32
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:37:09 pm by Don R »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
That's looking pretty damn good, Don
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 Thanks, after riding it today I'd have to say it's the fastest bike I've been on yet. Including my cammed, ported and bored 836. I may have to title and license it. So, I either park a 750 or change my 3 bike rule. lol.

I still have the 1100 J or GXP engine here, OMG I can't imagine how fast this bike would be with a proper big bore kit, the big J head and carbs.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:09:47 pm by Don R »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
told ya, lol
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
told ya, lol

You did, I remember the new 900 ltd I had for a Saturday. I must have been enjoying it because I remember spinning the tire and pulling a wheelie. It wasn't a good time to buy one unfortunately.

• Really Old Timer ...
Well done Don, if you think your ol' KZ1000 is quick, jump on a modern 150 BHP(+) sportsbike, you'll probably laugh so hard you'll sh1t your pants! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
 I keep seeing 'busa's listed for not so much money. If a guy could find one that hasn't been down a lot or flogged without mercy it might be fun. I have some friends that drag race KZ's but they seem to be slowly moving to more modern engines.
The $3 to $5K KZ drag bikes I see for sale might be a clue which way they are going.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
I keep seeing 'busa's listed for not so much money. If a guy could find one that hasn't been down a lot or flogged without mercy it might be fun. I have some friends that drag race KZ's but they seem to be slowly moving to more modern engines.
The $3 to $5K KZ drag bikes I see for sale might be a clue which way they are going.

If you're starting from scratch and want to race a full out dragbike, the Busa platform is the way to go. I've got a full stable of KZ based bike's so its hard to make the move to the Busa's because I have so many parts for the old bikes. In an effort to modernize, I've been collecting bits and pieces in an effort to cobble together a complete Busa one day.

I like the way you've set that KZ up with the GS arm. That Burple paint sets the old bike off well. Enjoy riding it and try to hold onto it if you can. They aren't making anymore of those.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  It's a fun ride for sure. Choices must be made, however difficult it is.  I've gathered a nice collection of bikes because I can afford to find them cheap and add value with some parts and work. In a way, I'm some sort of mechanical hoarder. Two hot rods, one drag car and 10 bikes. Not counting the truck and trailer to move them around.
   My garage is stuffed but everything in there operates or is under construction. Still, if the things you own end up owning you, it's better to be owned by some cool things.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:17:04 am by Don R »