Author Topic: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: a 10% discount thru 4/26/24! :)  (Read 155639 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: 10% off until 2/5/21! :)
« Reply #475 on: February 03, 2021, 05:31:38 pm »
What if I have one of these for sell? New
List it in the For Sale section. Someone will probably buy it: they are pretty popular. :)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline beernard

Re: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: 15% discount until 2/25/22! :)
« Reply #476 on: February 25, 2022, 01:07:34 am »
Thanks Hondaman. I have benefitted from your given, shared and fantastic knowledge in a disproporsionate way. ie I gave you nothing. I do hope you are well and happy.

Regards, Bern

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: 15% discount until 2/25/22! :)
« Reply #477 on: February 26, 2022, 06:51:16 pm »
Thanks Hondaman. I have benefitted from your given, shared and fantastic knowledge in a disproporsionate way. ie I gave you nothing. I do hope you are well and happy.

Regards, Bern

My reward comes in the form of putting you and this bike back on the pavement together. ;)

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline 1976_CB750K

Re: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: 10% discount thru 8/19/22! :)
« Reply #478 on: August 16, 2022, 06:49:46 pm »
Annnd, for my first post, I just ordered your book - looking forward to it. It looks terrific.

I've been here longer than my profile shows; just never got around to posting.

After I finish my current project, it will be time to get this beast back on the road.  8)

Thanks!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #479 on: August 17, 2022, 04:54:52 pm »
Annnd, for my first post, I just ordered your book - looking forward to it. It looks terrific.

I've been here longer than my profile shows; just never got around to posting.

After I finish my current project, it will be time to get this beast back on the road.  8)

Thanks!

Thanks for getting one! :D
The K6 bikes are the most enigmatic of them all, IMHO. They ranged from slouches to hotrods, depending on which parts Honda scrounged to build them with. They had stopped at the K5 because they were touting the CB750F0, but those sales fell so flat that they scrambled (after American Honda screamed at Honda Japan for discontinuing the 4-piper) to start making them. Some have F0 bottom ends with K5 top ends (lower primary gearing), some have F0 heads on K5 cylinders (low compression, like 8.7:1 or so), some have the opposite with K5 heads on F0 cylinders, with or without domed pistons (domed were about 9.5:1 compression with test numbers like 150 PSI), and some are just normal K5-like top ends on K5-like bottom ends. The second version (domed pistons) above was the hotrod of the bunch. The wiring, too, became 'undocumented' in that short jumper wires with small colored bands on their ends were used to bridge F-type handlebar switches with K-type main wiring harnesses in the headlight in some of them, and no published schematics of these ever appeared (that I've ever seen). But, they managed to all work! :)

Offline 1976_CB750K

« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2022, 05:27:40 pm »
Thanks for the great info, Mark! :)

Are there "early" and "late" versions of the '76; or is it just a matter of digging in and seeing what I've got? (The latter, no doubt.  ???)

I can't WAIT to receive the book and dig into THAT.  8)

Offline 1976_CB750K

Re: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: 15% discount thru 8/26/22! :)
« Reply #481 on: August 22, 2022, 07:02:15 pm »
Received the book today. Enjoying the read.  8)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #482 on: August 22, 2022, 11:07:11 pm »
Mark, how much are your books selling for currently?
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #484 on: August 23, 2022, 11:34:40 am »
Use code BACKTOSCHOOL15  to get 15% off on Lulu orders through August 26th.
David
PS subscribe to their emails and they will send you emails with coupon codes. 10 or 15% is very common. 30% occurs sometimes during the year. Most I have ever seen was 40% but only once to my recall.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #485 on: August 29, 2022, 10:11:08 am »
Thanks for the great info, Mark! :)

Are there "early" and "late" versions of the '76; or is it just a matter of digging in and seeing what I've got? (The latter, no doubt.  ???)

I can't WAIT to receive the book and dig into THAT.  8)

There are 3 actually distinct versions of the 750K6 that I have seen: the early, the middle and the last version.

-The early ones used mostly leftover K5 and some F0 parts, mixed in the engines and wiring harnesses. These engines had "K" bottom ends with the dual-sprung clutch steel plates and the "F" clutch basket to make them fit, so the top clutch plate is different from the others. These engines sometimes had F0 heads (392 casting mark in the back) on top of K5 cylinders and pistons. The carb bodies were the same ones used in the F0 bikes, but with the K5 jetting and needles (K27102 needle numbers). These engines only developed around 48 HP because the compression was only about 8.8:1.

-The middle ones had the "K" heads back on them, with "K" pistons and cylinders and "087a" marked carbs. These carbs are much like the regular K5 carbs except for the air screws, which originally had little plastic caps on them that prevented them being turned more than 1/2 turn in any direction off of normal (this was a Carter era EPA "fix" that was supposed to keep us from 'illegally modifying idle air mixtures and thus emitting excessive hydrocarbons' and was found in cars, too). We just removed and pitched the caps after they cracked, at about 10k miles. You can use a regular air screw in its place, they are internally the same as the K5 carbs. Some of these carbs are marked just "7A". The wiring harnesses were like the early ones, with little jumper wires using bands of color on a colored wire to indicate which end was being jumered into another circuit, as the main wiring harness body was K5 but the handlebar wiring was F0. These engines made about 52-55 HP.
-The late K6 is the best-performing 'K' bike (stock) since the early K1 bikes. It has the K5 bottom end with the F0 top end, Stellite valve guides and all! It has the F0 cam with the above-mentioned carbs, but with the jet needles from the F0 bikes (K132107 or K132102 or K13nnn needles). The important part to note here is the upper end of these needles in the F0/1 bikes have a thicker section that extends further down the needle before the taper begins. This matches to the late-intake-valve-opening of the F0 cam and prevent plug fouling problems: if the earlier carbs are used with these cams, plug fouling is constant and unfixable without these special needles. Using Keyster's needles will also reduce plug fouling in these unique engines, but will also reduce HP considerably. This combination was/is the hotrod version. I haven't seen HP figures for one, but I know from riding them that they will easily exceed the ton in 4th gear and feel much like the K0 in the lower gears. My butt-dyno would estimate them at around 70-72 HP.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 08:10:33 pm by HondaMan »

Offline 1976_CB750K

Re: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: 10% discount thru 9/2/22! :)
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2022, 05:11:32 pm »
Thanks SO much, Mark.

Your knowledge of these bikes is truly encyclopedic.

I read the book in 2 days besides skimming the more technical, above my pay grade parts. Excellent! :)