Author Topic: Speed Pony - 550 race bike recreation  (Read 48486 times)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
Speed Pony - 550 race bike recreation
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:36:37 am »
so I am about to start on my 2ND build project; a recreation of the bike in my avatar - Speed Pony (its original name).  a mono shock 550 has always been on the to do list ever since I 1st saw a picture of this bike.  after contacting the original frame builder, Denis Curtis, discussions began.  those discussions have now progressed to that lets get going stage.

taken at Shannonville Motorsport Park - 1979

a brief history:

originally Denis was commissioned by Robbie Meiklejohn to build two frame kits, for the Brimaco series, to be powered by a SOHC 750 ;).  Robbie did race a bike in this configuration.  according to him the engine was basically a CR750 to start, and later became a full blown RC 1060.  Speed Pony was constructed from the 2ND frame kit using a 550.  in the pictures you can see the alloy plate used to make up the difference in engine lengths.  the bike raced in Canada in the Brimaco Series as a 'Junior Superbike', with great success.

over the past two years I have been collecting parts for this build, along with information.  just recently I was given a copy of a letter from the owner / rider (Wayne McLellen) dated November 1979.  in it he details all the modifications made to date. :o :)  some things, like TZ 750 magnesium hubs :o will not be used, unless they can be sourced cheap. ;) ;)   I have already sourced a complete 750F rear disk hub, including caliper / carrier / master.  to lace to it a NOS Akron WM5, and 750 hub with WM3 for the front.  the engine will be my 78 550.  originally I was going to use a CBX 500 front end complete with brakes.  however for the bike to race vintage SBK, it will need a period front end.  as the original used a dual disk 750 setup this is what I will replicate.

so the 1st order of business is to recreate the frame / swingarm.  as the original was built for a 750 (don't have one), I have arranged to borrow a dummy from bwaller (many thanks).  once the frame is jigged it will be adapted to the 550 as done originally.  it will use a single shock (modified TZ250 works performance as original).

which begs the question.  are there other forum members who would be interested in a frame kit for either a 750 / or a 550?  as with the billet barrels, if more are made we all benefit from a better price.  should there be interest, I will start a separate thread just for that.  as for price....will depend on if an alloy tank is also supplied.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Re: Speed Pony - 550 race bike recreation
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:47:55 am »
awesome project! subscribed!

alas, i am interested but not in a position to cough up the bread for a frame.  :'(

but man this would be great: a frame with history and good for a 550/750. i'll be interested in the comments.

my best wishes for the project.

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:53:56 am »
awesome project! subscribed!

alas, i am interested but not in a position to cough up the bread for a frame.  :'(

but man this would be great: a frame with history and good for a 550/750. i'll be interested in the comments.

my best wishes for the project.

thanks Ecosse.  looking forward to the challenge of building it historically accurate, as well as the comments.
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »
Hey T-top this is a very cool idea.

Too bad but for now I'm not jumping aboard the frame train. I'm hoping to run in the mid prod class and that frame might raise some eyebrows!

I have also seen Denis's handiwork. his fabrication skills are bloody incredible so you've hooked up with the right guy.

By the way there was a Gordon Meiklejohn, would he have raced that 550?

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »
Hey T-top this is a very cool idea.

Too bad but for now I'm not jumping aboard the frame train. I'm hoping to run in the mid prod class and that frame might raise some eyebrows!

I have also seen Denis's handiwork. his fabrication skills are bloody incredible so you've hooked up with the right guy.

By the way there was a Gordon Meiklejohn, would he have raced that 550?

Hi bwaller, thanks for the interest, and the engine for mockup.

in total 5 / 6 frames were built eventually according to Denis.  as for riders, at this point I know for sure that Robbie raced one with a 750 (RC1060).  Wayne raced his 550 version in Amateur Junior Superbike, and Steve Simmons raced it in the pro class.  in the letter it says Simmons also raced it in the open class at Mosport.  states he was passing TZ750's in turn 3. :o and finished 15th overall.

not sure about mid prod eligibility (P2 middleweight?), but at least one 550 was built for the street using a Piper prototype twin cam head. ;) ;)  for sure it is P3 eligible.  maybe when you want to go faster, you'll change your mind. ;D ;D
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline fantino

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »
Rad project dude. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:01:57 am »
Subscribed.....Would love a spec sheet on that frame if at all possible..... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:58 am »
Subscribed.....Would love a spec sheet on that frame if at all possible..... ;)

Mick

Hi Mick, thought this might grab your interest. :) ;)

I should point out that my original plan was to build this bike for the street, not as a race bike.  my 77 project was intended to be the 'dry run'; to help me sort out the issues required to make it streetable.  so this frame kit will be built with that dual application in mind.

as for a spec sheet, nothing exists at the present.  the original jigs have long since disappeared :(, so Denis and I will be working from his old 'fabrication notes'.  the frame is based on his AHMRA / VRRA eligible version of the Harris 'low-line' TZ250 frame (just bigger ;D).  the neck is sized for the 750 front end, and it will use Denis' improved version of the Seley swingarm axle mount.  at this point we haven't decided if the swingarm will be round (original) or rectangular.

in the letter the owner states that they planned to change the swingarm for the 1980 season to an alloy one.  as I haven't been able to confirm this was actually done, my plan is to build the bike to its 1979 specifications.  I'll post a 'spec' sheet for the bike shortly detailing the engine, and chassis modifications.  my plan is to follow this as closely as possible.  given that some items are either no longer available, or very rare and expensive now, some changes to the list will be needed.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

traveler

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:06 am »
Are you going to use standard mild steel tubing for the frame?

~Joe

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 05:37:24 am »
Are you going to use standard mild steel tubing for the frame?

~Joe

no, the frame & swingarm will be made from chrome molly like the original.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 12:24:03 pm »
just returned from an other session with the 'princess of pain' :),  the following details the mods done 'in period', and will serve as my guide for the recreation of Speed Pony.

General:
-all wheel spacers (including front internal) replaced with lightened / lighter (alloy) pieces.
-all engine mounts made of alloy.
-rear torque arm / rear caliper mount / battery box - aluminium
-tank was hand made in alloy, and held 2.5 imp. gallons.
-handle bar mounts milled from top triple - not sure if this will be allowed under the current P3 SBK rules.  waiting for clarification from VRRA.
-petcocks were bored out Honda.
-exhaust was fabricated by Gary Wolf.  as he is still around (builds ultralites now) will be contacting about getting him to make a copy.  as an aside this exhaust was made during the time Gary was fabricating my replacement Lotus 7 frame; small world.
-as mentioned the hubs were TZ750 magnesium units, laced to WM5 & WM3 DID rims.  I will be using 750F hubs, and Akron rims.
-front and rear axles 'gun drilled'.
-TZ rear sets & clipons.
-ignition was by Andrews coils, and an Accel 'breaker plate'.
-alternator removed (total loss system) / also electric starter along with the engagement gears / neutral & oil pressure switches removed-plugged.

Engine (the good stuff ;D)
-bored to 590 using Yoshimura pistons
-stock rods shot peen-ed for stress relief.
-crank / rods / pistons balanced
-head ported by Branch (the person in period for head work) plan is for MReick to do a stage 3 on the 78.
-cam was a Yoshimura 'Isle of Man' grind.  will try to have replicated, or use the closest that is available today.
-stock valves with S & W valve springs
-Action Four clutch springs
-sprocket / oil pump cover was removed and the mounting area on the cases was made flush.

Brakes:
front - dual CB750 disks (drilled) with 750 calipers, and a Yamaha master (origin unknown at this point).
rear - Yamaha RD400 caliper / Brembo master / 750 disk drilled for maximum surface reduction.  I will be using all 750F parts, but with lighter alloy brackets.
-braided steel lines

Front end:
CB750 forks with excess mounts removed, and sliders turned down 1/8" and polished.
CB750 triple & steering head with tapered bearings (Timken)
Bel Ray 30wt oil.

the estimated weight was 325 / 350 lb wet.  there is also interest in a 2nd frame to run a 750 in Vintage. ;D

for those interested in the history of CMR & Denis Curtis - http://cmrracingproducts.com/index.html  a high light is that Jay Leno's Vincent Spl was built by Denis.  since he retired from Honda Canada, and started building frames again, his 'lowline' 250 frame is now accepted basically everywhere.  he has also shipped numerous Kaw H1 kits (the delay in getting my exhaust fitted ;)), along with ones for the Suzuki 750 'Water Buffalo'.  one of these is being raced in France by a journalist, who is documenting his season in his column.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:05:42 pm »
Sounds like race bike stuff alright.

Let me know for sure what class you're in and I'll race somewhere else.  ;)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 02:46:25 pm »
Sounds like race bike stuff alright.
Let me know for sure what class you're in and I'll race somewhere else.  ;)

got a call into Stan H now. ;)  just want to make sure I can't come out and play with you in P2. ;D ;D ;D
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:25 pm »
Hi Mick, thought this might grab your interest. Smiley Wink

Thanks Tintop, i'll keep checking in. I have a mate who's Fathers business is building custom hot rods, high end stuff, and he has some excellent pipe benders and stuff like that for the framework for the fibreglass bodywork. I have already discussed making a frame with him..... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »

Thanks Tintop, i'll keep checking in. I have a mate who's Fathers business is building custom hot rods, high end stuff, and he has some excellent pipe benders and stuff like that for the framework for the fibreglass bodywork. I have already discussed making a frame with him..... ;)
Mick

So Mick - what are you mate, some kind of Oz industrial spy? when do you offer the surf bunny? please, please. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Going to be working on the cafe tomorrow, but will also be speaking with Denis about Speed Pony.  hoping I can take some more pictures to post.  maybe some of the TZ 'lowline' it will be based on, and some detail stuff.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 06:51:23 pm »

Mick

So Mick - what are you mate, some kind of Oz industrial spy? when do you offer the surf bunny? please, please. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Going to be working on the cafe tomorrow, but will also be speaking with Denis about Speed Pony.  hoping I can take some more pictures to post.  maybe some of the TZ 'lowline' it will be based on, and some detail stuff.

You might just have to make a trip down under for the beach babes mate, oh,  and bring a frame will ya.... ;D ;D ;D ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:20:29 pm »

Mick

You might just have to make a trip down under for the beach babes mate, oh,  and bring a frame will ya.... ;D ;D ;D ;)

Mick

only if one of those billet barrels goes in, and to paraphrase Terry = you keep my 4 cylinders well lubricated. ;D ;D
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »

Mick

Mick

only if one of those billet barrels goes in, and to paraphrase Terry = you keep my 4 cylinders well lubricated. ;D ;D

Thanks for thinking of me mate but i already have the billet block.... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline sander

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 08:27:19 am »
Nice! I'm going to follow this one!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:59 am »
Great project - best of luck to you.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »
thanks Sanders and Syncrush.  will be posting some pictures of some of the things going into the build shortly.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
Got some pictures @ Denis' of a frame / swingarm similar to what was / will be in the 550 race bike.  bwaller came by and dropped off the 750 dummy engine.  Many thanks, and it was great to meet in person.  Along with the motor, an addition to my SOHC collection was dropped off - a 76 400F.  It will be my rehab ride, and later the 'city bike'.  Picture in my cafe build thread (shortly).

Now some good stuff for Mick. :D ;)

The frame in the picture is for a KR recreation (one in background for an H2).  The KR will have lay down shocks like the original.  The swingarm is for a TZ750 frame.  They both use the same basic chrome molly swingarm.  The combined shape is the same as the one for my project.  That frame will however, be deeper.  It will have basically the same wheel base.

TZ 250 / 350 / 750 swingarm.  As the jigs already exist to make these versions, one will be used in the recreation.  The TZ750 shock is 2" longer than the 250 / 350 unit.   Which one will be used will be decided once the engine is fitted.

Last picture is of the steering head.  It features 6 point support.

Interesting update on the will there be more?  Would appear there is interest in building a recreation of the 750, now that I have started this project. 

1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
Hey guys I was with Tintop last evening and we dropped by to visit Denis and he gave me the tour of his shop.

He's a sharp guy and the finess of his work is immediately evident. Beautiful. He's been in this game a long time.

Good luck with this Brian, I will be watching closely.

Man those alloy tanks are the tits too.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »
Thats beautiful work there Tintop......lucky bugger..... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »
Thats beautiful work there Tintop......lucky bugger..... ;D

Mick

Thanks Mick - I'm sure Denis and Byron appreciate the compliment.  As bwaller said, Denis has a lot of experience building frames, and Byron's TIG work shows great talent.  Didn't take a tank picture - didn't want to spoil you. ;D ;D

For got to mention that the rear of the KR frame is larger dia. because it is twin shock.  The 550 will use much lighter tubing for the seat, and seat support structure.

As I get to be part of this process from the ground up, your right, I am lucky. :)  Will post some pictures shortly of some of the things already acquired for the build.

Brian
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread