Author Topic: For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....  (Read 44748 times)

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
I've read people saying velocity stacks on the carbs are bad for your engine, saying that sucking in anything abrasive will hurt your motor. I agreed until I remembered one little fact, on my cb750 and most of these bikes the engine oil is ran through the clutch, so all the abrasive wear that comes off the clutch is already being kicked around in the engine - hopefully trapped in the oil filter soon enough but still in there. To me this is far worse than the little bit of dust/dirt that may get sucked up into the velocity stacks and largely burnt up/blown back out.

Velocity stacks it is!
My project thread:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107447.0

My CB750K4 Starting up for the first time after a seized motor and rebuild!

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:36 am »
Go for it Sparky, don't let anyone divert you from 'your truth'.  ;)
Artificial sweetener is good for you too- consume it by the truckload.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:31:15 am »
The real danger is not that the dirt/dust gets into your oil.  The problem is getting it into your combustion chamber where it will wear your rings out prematurely.  The contaminants in the air are not completely burnt during combustion and they leave harsh residue in the cylinders that scores the liners and wears the rings.

As a diesel mechanic, I have overhauled over a dozen semi-truck engines that had faulty air filters.  They wiped out the rings in a matter of months.  Dirt does hurt.

You can run stacks, but plan on replacing rings, pistons, and resurfacing cylinders a lot more often.

Offline Pat_at_APE

• Enthusiast
    • APE Race Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:07 am »
Your valve seats, valves, and rings will never forgive you and will treat you accordingly I'm sure...

Anyone running stacks has the expectation of rebuilding the top end of their motor every winter...  Do you?  Filters strain out the particulates that eat up the top end.  The part not bathed in filtered oil.

Good luck!

Pat at APE

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:14 am »
 Yeah it does wsear more.. my 836 went the last few years and some at the beginning with stacks or nothing..

Only lasted 25 or so years.. being run at least 1/2 those years.. probably coulda got 28 years out of it if I was religious with the filters... ..oh well...

Funny thing, thought the bores would have a lot more wear than they did..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Jeff.Saunders

• Enthusiast
  • Obsessed by Old Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:47 am »
The carb slides will also look like they have been sand blasted.

I ran velocity stacks for a couple of years on one bike, and the slides on the 29mm smoothbores were junk after two years (and 30,000 miles)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:57:20 am »
 my carbs dont have slides, and the throttle shafts are on ball-bearings, they hold up just fine..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:02:06 am »
Better get the big bag for this... ;D

Love it
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline Jeff.Saunders

• Enthusiast
  • Obsessed by Old Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:49 am »

From a set of CR31's used for a couple of seasons...

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:38 am »
 I really cant see airborne grit causing that..without scratching going up and down the slide.. looks like the plating may not be the best. Why is there no weaqr at the lower edge of the slide ?
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:49:26 am »

Haha I avoid aspartame trust me I'm well informed on a lot of things.

I still believe that the abrasive particles floating around in the engine oil from the clutch wear is far worse than the dirt being sucked in through the intake with no air filters. Every response so far hasn't mentioned the clutch wear in the engine oil, ya'll are just like "abrasive dust blah blah"
My project thread:

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:02:14 am »
OK troll.

I'll just buy my bag of popcorn and watch from afar.  8)
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:36 am »
I still believe that the abrasive particles floating around in the engine oil from the clutch wear is far worse than the dirt being sucked in through the intake with no air filters. Every response so far hasn't mentioned the clutch wear in the engine oil, ya'll are just like "abrasive dust blah blah"

Well how about you be the test dummy.  Run stacks like you want and let us know what fails first; your carbs and piston rings from dust or your engine internals from sinister clutch fibers.

Dukie, I'm gonna need some of that popcorn.

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:50 am »
I'm not trolling anyone. I'm being dead serious after looking at my engine up close. It was ran with air filters it's whole life (30,000 miles). Still there's some light scratching on the insides of some of the bearing surfaces. Some worse than others. Where would an abrasive material come from that could do that? CLUTCH
My project thread:

Offline KJ790

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:13:07 am »

Haha I avoid aspartame trust me I'm well informed on a lot of things.

You do know what an oil filter does right?
The most dangerous part of a motorcycle is the nut that connects the handlebars to the footpegs.

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:42 am »
For the record I'm still not decided on velocity stacks or pods. Of course most of you guys will be like "dig out your stock filter box!"  ;D
My project thread:

Offline millerza

• Zach Miller
  • Enthusiast
  • 750K8 fixing rebuild probs
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:34:38 am »
Is there some advantage to stacks over pods? Why not just filter the air?(I dont care about the advantage of filter box)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
Is there some advantage to stacks over pods? Why not just filter the air?(I dont care about the advantage of filter box)

With the stock CB750 you have the best of both.
You have rubber velocity stacks AND a filter.

Now what can we do about that ugly filter box to make it look cool.
Paint? graphics?  Lets think.

Lets have a contest to have the best looking stock filter box.

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:35 am »

With the stock CB750 you have the best of both.
You have rubber velocity stacks AND a filter.

Now what can we do about that ugly filter box to make it look cool.
Paint? graphics?  Lets think.

Lets have a contest to have the best looking stock filter box.

Or Tintop's Anit-Pod... stack performance, filtration, race looks!

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Really Old Timer ...

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 11:31:58 am »
Yes, they are bad for my engine.

What you do with yours  I don't bloody care :)

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 11:47:45 am »
I'm not trolling anyone. I'm being dead serious after looking at my engine up close. It was ran with air filters it's whole life (30,000 miles). Still there's some light scratching on the insides of some of the bearing surfaces. Some worse than others. Where would an abrasive material come from that could do that? CLUTCH

That's where you misunderstand- the engine bearings are not affected by dirt through the intake tract.  Scratches in the main bearings could be caused by a bad clutch, but they could also be caused by infrequent oil changes over the life of the bike.  It's true that oil gets dirty as a result of temperature, wet clutch environment, etc, but that's also the reason for the 1500 mile oil change interval.

On the intake side, not running filters will result in wear on the top side- carbs, valves, guides, rings, top part of the cylinder bore, etc.

Also, you vastly underestimate the "tiny amount" of dirt present in the air on the road.  Have you ever looked at a dirty air filter before?  It didn't collect all that stuff just sitting.

Intake and oiling are two different systems.  To say dirt in one is better or worse than the other seems pretty irrelevant to me.  Keep your oil changed and your air filter clean and you'll run a lot of miles without issue.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »

That's where you misunderstand- the engine bearings are not affected by dirt through the intake tract.  Scratches in the main bearings could be caused by a bad clutch, but they could also be caused by infrequent oil changes over the life of the bike.  It's true that oil gets dirty as a result of temperature, wet clutch environment, etc, but that's also the reason for the 1500 mile oil change interval.

On the intake side, not running filters will result in wear on the top side- carbs, valves, guides, rings, top part of the cylinder bore, etc.

Also, you vastly underestimate the "tiny amount" of dirt present in the air on the road.  Have you ever looked at a dirty air filter before?  It didn't collect all that stuff just sitting.

Intake and oiling are two different systems.  To say dirt in one is better or worse than the other seems pretty irrelevant to me.  Keep your oil changed and your air filter clean and you'll run a lot of miles without issue.

+ one.  Very good post.

I will only add that filters are only useful/needed when they actually have something in the supply to collect.
Small particulates are just are wearing as large ones that the naked eye can see.  Just because you can't see it, does not prevent it from being harmful.

Air quality makes a big difference.  Seldom do allergy sufferers see what effects them, but they sure feel it.

I expect if you live near large bodies of water, like the ocean, your air will be cleaner than if you live out in the dry windy desert.  And that will make a big difference in what your engine ingests into the cylinders and blasts onto cylinder walls and valve seats while the engine is running.

So, the engine's metal erosion rate is tied directly to the quality of the air source for the engine.  Air filters just make what the engine ingests predictable, rather than dependent and random chance, weather patterns, and dumb luck.

If you live or operate the bike only in an area that has no allergy sufferers being sensitive, no flying insects, and generally clean air quality, a filter is not strictly necessary.  But, that leaves few places on the planet where your engine is risk free.  The filter removes the risk/gamble, and is why no machine manufacturer on the planet will honor their warranty if the air filter is removed from an internal combustion engine.  However, if YOU become the engine manufacturer, it is you that pays for warranty service.

Personally, I can't see any valid comparison to the engine oil supply and filter, unless you are putting in used, dirty oil into it routinely, and NOT using a oil filter.

Just how fast do you want to wear out and/or damage a 30 year old engine?  And, what are you willing to do to guard against that eventuality?
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline excellrec

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:38 pm »
You could just run your stacks with these... http://www.pjmotorsports.com/velocity-stack-filters.html.