Author Topic: RC distributor bevel drive/ Can anybody make One?  (Read 33202 times)

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
Re: RC distributor bevel drive/ Can anybody make One?
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 09:42:05 pm »
Thanks CaveBear.  It's been a roller coaster ride since 2008 when i found out the hard way that i'm a type 2 diabetic. I almost died and was in a coma for 2 1/2 weeks.  I'm trying to beat the disease but it's not easy.  Anyway like i said earlier,  i'm gonna get with the gear manufacturer this coming week for sure.   ;)     :)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »
Jon, not any of my business, but I lost a good friend to type 2 a couple of years ago. Don't think that sugar-free soda is OK; the stuff is poison, IMHO. Cinnamon is supposed to help regulate blood sugar? Hope you beat it...
I'll shut up now...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2012, 11:01:59 pm »
Scottly, It's everyone's business. Thanks for the heads up on the soda but i only drink water or sun tea. Also, never shut up. That's why we are all here, to read others input on what we all post ( talk ) about.  Everyone has the right to post their input and their opinion even if we don't like it.   ;)    ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
Thanks Jon.. Really feeling the loss of my friend Max right now. :( He first found he had the disease when he suddenly lost vision; as he was a truck driver, he would have lost his livelihood if MVD found out. He lost a lot of weight, maybe 100 pounds, but he kept drinking gallons of soda. "It's ok, it's sugar free". He did switch to sun tea in the last year or so before he died, but by then it was too late. I really don't know if it would have made a difference, maybe if he had switched 10 years earlier? Dammit, I miss him. He was rude and crude, and didn't know the the meaning of politically correct, but his main priority was his kids.... :'(   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:31 am »
I hope I can hijack my own thread for a moment. I feel the saying " that youth is wasted on the young" becomes more poignant the older we get. I spent 27 years working in Chicago for the railroad industry and resigned for a "better" job with the CSX in Florida. I spent 10 years  trying to do my job safely and properly according to the rules all the while butting heads with supervisors who were only interested in fatter bonus checks.  Then 3 years ago I had what the doctors' now call a severe catatonic episode. In other words,a nervous breakdown. I still don't handle adversity well and had to take a disability pension.
   There were a lot of good times my friends and family had over the years that I missed while I put my work first. Now it's time to enjoy life. This forum has been a big help in doing that because I know I've been talking to kindred spirits and intend to meet as many of you personally as possible when the opportunity arises.   
1975 MotoMartin 836cc
1976 Rickman 1150cc Turbo
1977 Seeley 890cc + 1/4 stroke
3 parts bikes,1970K0 to 1978ss

Get paid to do it,it's work; pay to do it,it's a hobby

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2012, 04:57:57 pm »
i'm gonna get with the gear manufacturer this coming week for sure.   ;)     :)

If none of that works out, let me have a look at it.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2012, 06:08:46 pm »
Not sure if this will help, but have you tried contacting Morris Magneto??

This link is for one they make for early Harleys, the gear on the end looks a lot like what your looking for.  Maybe they have something that would work.  http://www.sevensinschoppers.com/product_p/mm-mm3.htm
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »
 Thanks Tintop, but that Morris mag has a distributor gear that is held on with a roll pin.  Not even close.  I have done enough research and leg work to know that the gear for the R.C. angle drive is a custom made piece matched to the special gear that is inside the housing.   ;)   I hope it's not going to be a major cost factor.   :-\     I'll find out this coming week for sure.   ;)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2012, 06:34:45 pm »
I was wondering what the gear looks like that drives it.
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2012, 08:24:58 am »

Look at page " 2 ".    ::)   ;)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:30 am »
Thanks Tintop, but that Morris mag has a distributor gear that is held on with a roll pin.  Not even close.  I have done enough research and leg work to know that the gear for the R.C. angle drive is a custom made piece matched to the special gear that is inside the housing.   ;)   I hope it's not going to be a major cost factor.   :-\     I'll find out this coming week for sure.   ;)
Good luck with that Blue. ;) ;D Look at it this way.....you could become a dealer for them. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »
 Hey MRieck, Look at your number of posts !!!   :o :o :o  :(   As for being a distributor, i'm not to sure about that.  If i can get them made cheap enough i'll have as many made as i can .  As for the timing shaft's, i have a machinist friend that said he will make those for me but i only have the shaft for the KZ 900/1000's .  As for the cb750 Honda, someone will have to lend me their shaft so that it can be copied when the time comes.   ;)

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »
 UPDATE:  I just had a phone conversation with the sales engineer and he's setting up a meeting with the main engineer for me.  He just got back from vacation   ::)  so he's really busy but maybe i'll get to see him this week or for sure the begining of next week.   ;)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2012, 05:49:56 pm »

???  I was refering to the Harley gear that drives the Morris Mag. ;)
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »

???  I was refering to the Harley gear that drives the Morris Mag. ;)

I clicked on the web address that YOU posted above then i clicked on the pictures to enlarge them.    ::)   LOL !

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2012, 01:09:09 am »
Hey MRieck, Look at your number of posts !!!   :o :o :o  :(   As for being a distributor, i'm not to sure about that.  If i can get them made cheap enough i'll have as many made as i can .  As for the timing shaft's, i have a machinist friend that said he will make those for me but i only have the shaft for the KZ 900/1000's .  As for the cb750 Honda, someone will have to lend me their shaft so that it can be copied when the time comes.   ;)

Was that a play on words Jon? Very droll............ ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2012, 10:17:30 am »
 That was funny Terry !    Hey,  PM me your address so i can send you that " TOP SECRET "  package.  I'll let you know what the shipping charges will be as soon as i get it to the post office to weigh it.   ;)

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:39 pm »
 Well i have a meeting on Thursday morning with the head engineer.  Man these people are crazy busy.  Cross yer fingers and pray to the motorcycle gods so that the cost factor isn't going to be real high !   :o

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2012, 08:46:50 am »
Ok, today is the day.  In a couple of hours i'll know how much $$$$ it will cost for some gears to be manufactured.   ;)   

Why do i feel like i'm headed for the GALLOW'S POLE ?    :o   :'(

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2012, 10:41:02 am »
Smile, they'll probably only ask you to bend over a little. ;D ;D ;D ;D
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:47 pm »
Smile, they'll probably only ask you to bend over a little. ;D ;D ;D ;D

How about all the way over and back around and all the way over again !!   :o :o

Ok guy's here it goes........ First off  they would have to reverse engineer the gear + make an engineered drawing. That means i would be able to take it to any manufacturer and have the gear made. Cost..... $2,000.oo .  But after talking to them and explaining what it is for and showing them the R.C. catalog and pictures of the SORCERER dragbike they knocked the reversed engineering drawing to  $1,500.oo.   ;)    After that there's the process of finding out exactly what material the gear is made out of.  2 way's of going about that.  One is sending it off to a lab and doing all of the tests =  $ 2,000.oo   Or choosing a high grade material and running with it and saving $ 2,000.oo   Then having the material, it must be sent out to be broached and bored. Then they will cut the gear teeth, grind and polish.  Last, the gear will have to be heat treated.
    All in all this venture will not be cheap. Some major time will have to be invested to figure out what the exact price per piece would end up being. Some special tooling would have to be made to manufacture the gears which would be included in the cost ,which would be owned by the customer.  That said the customer could take the drawing and the tooling to any gear manufacture and have the gears made.  I was taken through the shops and observed all kinds of special machines in operation making some really cool pieces for the military and  Boeing aerospace .  So there ya go, now to figure out if it's worth the time and $$$$$$  to invest in this and how many people out in the cycle world would need this gear and the timing shaft.   ::) :-\ :-\

I was just thinking......Can you imagine what the cost factor would be to have all of the pieces made for the R.C.angle drive setup ?  I can't even imagine what the larger gear that's in the housing with the special bearing would even cost !   :o ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:01:32 pm by BLUE71TURBO »

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2012, 03:41:19 pm »
Actually the basic costs don't suprise me.  As you say though how big is the demand / market.  Well done for getting it this far. 8)
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2012, 08:45:16 pm »
Yea, I knew the start up cost was gonna be up there. Now i'm trying to figure out how to get feedback on the demand for these parts.  I know of only a couple of guys that are some what interested in the parts. I guess posting on some other motorcycle websites might generate some interest.   ::)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2012, 10:27:49 pm »
 There is other gear shops, probably a lot cheaper...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:33 am »
I think I'd be talking to Big Jay Jon, I'm betting he has some contacts who have done similar things before? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)