Author Topic: Tool recommendations for degreeing a cam needed  (Read 9710 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Tool recommendations for degreeing a cam needed
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:40 pm »
I am getting together the tools needed to make sure my MegaCycle cam gets installed correctly. I am modifying a spark plug for a piston stop and shopping for a degree wheel and dial indicator. I have never done this before but I am eager to learn. When I built my F3 I got a drop in cam (Web 41) just because I was so intimidated on installing a cam and timing it correctly. This time around I feel it necessary to learn. I love working on these engines and this is required knowledge IMO. Plus I hate not understanding!

I need a degree wheel that will install on the left side of the engine under the rotor bolt. Can anyone recommend one that they prefer? I was looking at one from Summit racing for about $20.

For a dial indicator I was hoping this cheap one from Harbor Freight would be good enough.

Any recommendations would be great.
Also, where is the best place to attach the dial indicator for good measurements?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Tool recommendations for degreeing a cam needed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »
The problem I ran into degreeing my WEBCAM 41, was that the 7-8" degree wheels do not let you see what you are doing from the rt side of the bike. You can do it, with the tools you've mentioned, but its a hassle.

Mike Rieck uses a 20" degree wheel mounted backwards on the alt bolt. This can be read from the rt side. I'm looking for one myself.

Duh, I should ask mike where he got it.

The 41 needed degreeing BTW.

AS to placing the dial indi.  I don't remember but I think I bolted a flat piece of steel strap to the valve gear.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:57:56 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:04:15 pm »
Ah, that makes sense. A bigger wheel to see from the right side. What is the valve gear?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »
Ah, that makes sense. A bigger wheel to see from the right side. What is the valve gear?
I did a search on "degree wheel" and found the thread where Mike said he used a 20" wheel.

Not a gear literaly, but the whole mess of the valve train. Funny i can't remember where I put mine. I'm thinking a strap between the long center bolts holding down the rocker tower.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:15:53 pm »
Jegs has a Moroso 18" wheel for about $50.
I can't find any 20" wheels.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:57 pm »
A pc of flat steel, used a pc of angle last time.Drill a little 6mm hole, a couple maybe , bolt to head where valve/cam cover sits, usually on outside of head.Usually do #4, closest to you.20 inch degree wheel, cool, guess Mike's bigger! ! lol  ;D Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »
Thanks Bill. That is easy enough. I will just get a strap of steel and modify it to bolt onto the head for the base of the indicator to sit on.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:23:07 pm »
Yes and 18 inch wheel plenty big enough, we can't all be like Mike! ! Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »
Yes and 18 inch wheel plenty big enough, we can't all be like Mike! ! Bill

He may have been exaggerating.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Jerry E.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »
I used a degree wheel that is clear plastic, from Cycle X  I think, attached to the points shaft. I used the starter cover, right behind the cylanders, to "mount" the magnetic base dial indicater to, and used the #1 valve retainer to measure off of.  I also used the same dial indicater in your picture, borrowed from a friend. I ended up about 2-3 teeth advanced from the "stock" cam mark position with my Megacycle cam(125-00), to get the correct reading per my timing card.
"Why jump from perfectly good airplanes? Because the door opens."

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:29 pm »
I also attached to the points shaft with a couple 6mm nuts and washers to hold it in place. My degree wheel is much smaller but I'm not home to check it. Used a coat hanger as the pointer with a point ground into the end held in place using one of the 6mm threaded holes in the top of the head. Intimidating UNTIL you complete the first time. Got my TDC stop from Big Jay.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 09:31:31 pm »
I also attached to the points shaft with a couple 6mm nuts and washers to hold it in place. My degree wheel is much smaller but I'm not home to check it. Used a coat hanger as the pointer with a point ground into the end held in place using one of the 6mm threaded holes in the top of the head. Intimidating UNTIL you complete the first time. Got my TDC stop from Big Jay.
So did you turn it from the alt side?
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:12 pm »
So did you turn it from the alt side?

Yes, I will not turn it using the points shaft. Last thing I want to do is snap off the shaft at or below the surface.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Jerry E.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 02:14:01 am »
I used the alt. to turn the crank, also.
"Why jump from perfectly good airplanes? Because the door opens."

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 03:47:34 am »
Turning the engine over using the right side you want to use your wrench on the advancer mechanism.  I would never turn it over using the small 10mm nut installed on the points shaft.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 04:19:30 am »
I got a dial indicator combo from grizzly and I am very happy with it.  I am sure it is china too, but I always considered grizzly the better china :)

The G9849 is $19.50 for the base and dial indicator check it out.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 04:26:12 am »
It's been mentioned before, but a long tool to turn the engine over is a must too. It's just easier to make small movements.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 04:39:08 am »
It's been mentioned before, but a long tool to turn the engine over is a must too. It's just easier to make small movements.

Thanks for the tip. Its the little details like this that I need to learn. Any other tips and tricks is great appreciated.

I have been reading up on degreeing a camshaft and "think" I have a pretty good idea on what's going on. Doesn't seem to hard and like has been mentioned its like riding a bike...

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 05:12:24 am »
Jegs has a Moroso 18" wheel for about $50.
I can't find any 20" wheels.

Ok...ok. I have the 18" Moroso (and 3 smaller ones as well). ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:56 am »
one important tip is to make sure you have the piston in compression/power stroke position when you insert the stopper, otherwise you risk bending a valve
second tip is to screw a threaded rod instead of the current tip in your dial gage as an extension so that it can reach the spring collar easier.

being an ultra cheapo bastard, i dont use a magnetic base at all, just  a few pre-drilled steel straps bolted to where it's convenient and locked in place

ditto for a degree wheel, grab a pdf from the internet, print it, stick to stiff cardboard, done. feeling fancy? blow it up some and make yourself a 30" wheel even. bigger is better my girlfriend says.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:27:34 am by turboguzzi »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:35 am »
one important tip is to make sure you have the piston in compression/power stroke position when you insert the stopper, otherwise you risk bending a valve
second tip is to screw a threaded rod instead of the current tip in your dial gage as an extension so that it can reach the spring collar easier.

being an ultra cheapo bastard, i dont use a magnetic base at all, just  a few pre-drilled steel straps bolted to where it's convenient and locked in place

ditto for a degree wheel, grab a pdf from the internet, print it, stick to stiff cardboard, done. feeling fancy? blow it up some and make yourself a 30" wheel even. bigger is better my girlfriend says.

OK, now your just bragging, or she's dreaming.  ::)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:51 am »
could be wishful thinking too :)

we'll never know

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:43 pm »
BrandEn

I just crawled out from my cave and have to get cracking at installing the head and valve train on my bike too. I’ve been told that it’s good practice to degree all cams (providing you have the spec sheet) to extract the full potential from them.

These are a couple of pics of a 550 dial gauge mount from Bwaller.
Yours will be different.  I’m also using a degree wheel from Motion Pro.

It’s not 18”, but neither am I.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:38:34 pm by FunJimmy »
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 02:16:19 pm »
I just PM'd Brent about using that cover when you are done Jimmy. I was going to cut one up but it is in such nice shape I really hate to. Thanks for showing it.

Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:28 pm »
Hey Jim, thanks for the pictures. What a great idea that is! It would be easy to fab up something similar I think for a 750...