Author Topic: Let's see your non-SOHC4 on the road  (Read 319366 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Let's see your non-SOHC4 on the road
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:26 pm »
G'Day Tom, thanks for that mate, it's a shame that you haven't been as well looked after by BMW as you should, I've always been very happy with their customer service, even down to them replacing the rear master cylinder on my 1986 K100RT that I bought used in 1990, when I put it in for a service. I didn't ask for it, they just replaced it with a new one, free of charge. Apparently there was a recall, but mine had been missed.

I definitely fall into the "Pussy" category though mate, I've had company cars ever since I left the Regular Army, so I only ride my bikes on weekends nowadays, and don't do anywhere near the distances that you do. Oh well, no harm done, I wear my "pussy-ness" like a badge of honor! All the best mate, and keep posting those pics, that scenery is superb! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Carver

• Hot Shot
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2013, 04:10:54 am »
First time I ever rode a motorcycle that wasn't in the msf class, about a year ago now, 450 dohc. Bought it for $800 not running, changed oil, changed plugs, new battery, kicked it over 5 dozen times and it started, blew tons of white smoke from the exhaust and dumped fuel/oil from the breather hose. Fixed the carbs and rode it for 3000 miles before it lost compression (suspect a bent valve). Getting i back in a week and starting a frame off resto of it.
Cb 750 k3
Cb 450 dohc k4

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 12:34:02 am »
It looks great mate, are you sure it needs to be restored? Remember, a little age patina is more than acceptable nowadays, and it'll only ever be original once. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• Expert
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2013, 01:41:44 am »
Here´s my ZRX 1100

and here´s my Z1

Doc, I love a motorcycle!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:44 pm »
Nice, I've owned a Z900 but not a ZRX, I just bought a Yamaha FJ1200 but if I hadn't, a ZRX would have been on my shopping list. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2013, 01:59:44 am »
Here´s my ZRX 1100

and here´s my Z1

The main road sign, you never see that in USA :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2013, 06:28:34 am »
Here´s my ZRX 1100

and here´s my Z1

The main road sign, you never see that in USA :)

Yeah, what is that? Yield??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:42 am »
Maybe there is a baseball diamond up ahead

Wobbly

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2013, 09:38:25 am »
Yeah, what is that? Yield??
On the contrary: this indicates that you are on a priority road. When stationed in Europe, you need to get a military license (USAREUR) which requires you to learn the signs over here. This friendly looking red circle is one, that isn't so good news when riding:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:25:18 pm by Wobbly »

Wobbly

« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2014, 03:08:23 pm »
Yesterday:
Not the highest, but the most challenging pass I ever took with my RR: passenger, and luggage on washed out gravel, garnished with lots of rocks, super tight turns.
 Colle delle Finestre, (2,178 m (7,146 ft)

Col du Galibier, el. 2,645 m (8,678 ft.)

Col de l’Iseran, 2,770 m (9,088 ft), the highest paved pass in the Alps.

Final pass yesterday:
Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo, 2,188 m (7,178 ft)

Offline JBMorse

• Hot Shot
    • Travel Blog
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2014, 06:46:17 pm »
Still don't have a SOHC4 ready, but am getting closer. So I've been riding the Transalp. Took it on a nice off road adventure last week. The road looks easy here but up that hill it was loose rocks and washouts. It was a workout but a ton of fun!
1971 CB500K

Offline jas67

• Expert
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2014, 06:57:56 pm »
1973 BMW R75/5

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar (left)
Classic Honda:
1976 CB400F
1975 CB400F (project)
1975 GL1000
1968 CL175 (1 nice one, one project)
1967 CB77
1967 CB160 (2 of 'em, both projects)
1967 CL160 project
Triumph: 2017 Thruxton R
BMW: 2016 R1200RS, 1975 R90S, 1973 R75/5, 1980 R100S
Ducati: 2013  Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE track beast, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450, 1966 Monza 250
Moto Morini: 1975 (titled 1976) 3 1/2 Strada, w/ Sport clipons.
Moto Guzzi: 2017 V7III Special,  1977 Le Mans, 1974 Eldorado

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2014, 07:52:15 pm »
My Yamaha FJ1200 and BMW K100RS are now legal! Sadly the weather here is horrible today, so I probably won't get either out on the road, but hopefully, tomorrow will be the day! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »
Terry,
The rear luggage rack on the Yam. FJ looks hefty enough to carry 80 Kilo's  ;D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »
Yeah mate, that's a 1980's "Gearsack" rack, an Aussie invention. Back in the day they used a pic of a guy sitting on one backwards to demonstrate their strength. Sadly mine didn't come with the original "Gearsack", which was a seemingly bottomless pit that you could just keep throwing gear into, I keep looking at eBay for a NOS Gearsack, they really were a great bag. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »
Did you say ON the road?!

Oh wait, this would be more appropriate  ;)

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »
Ouch! Did you ever get your Hog fixed Jerry? Cheers, Terry. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
Well the clouds parted and the sun came out, and even though it was freezing I bravely braved the cold and took the Yamaha FJ1200 out for it's first legal ride.

I stopped at a gas station and pumped the tires up, they were both down around 10 psi, and after falling off the thing on my first ride when the tires were pretty flat, I've been careful to make sure that they're well inflated before I ride it far.

I was scooting up a road at around 60 MPH and I couldn't decide whether I was hearing something trying to tear itself off the bike, or if it was just wind noise, when something large and black whizzed past my left ear. Hmmnnn, did I hit an errant crow?

I rode on to another gas station, and discovered that the front section of my front fender was AWOL!

I put some gas in it and then rode back to where it came off, hoping to find it in pristine condition, but sadly although I found it on the other side of the road, a couple of cars had obviously run over it, and it was broken where it had torn itself off the forks, so I left it there as a memorial to 1980's Japanese superbikes.

In the process of riding the 10 miles or so back to find it, I managed to have a stop light drag with a guy on a Harley, and I think I broke his heart when I crapped on him, he wouldn't look my way when we stopped at the next set of lights, and he made no attempt to take off fast like he had at the last set. Then when I was merging onto the freeway, a jerk in a Merc tried to overtake me (on the on ramp, what was he thinking?) and I kicked his arse, by the time I hit the freeway I was doing over 140 MPH and he was a mile behind me, wondering how the hell a 27 year old motorcycle with no front fender could blow away his $100K piece of Eurotrash?

So even though I'm now in need of a new front fender half, all in all it wasn't a bad day really. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:43 am »
Yeah mate, that's a 1980's "Gearsack" rack, an Aussie invention. Back in the day they used a pic of a guy sitting on one backwards to demonstrate their strength. Sadly mine didn't come with the original "Gearsack", which was a seemingly bottomless pit that you could just keep throwing gear into, I keep looking at eBay for a NOS Gearsack, they really were a great bag. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I like the strong construction of that rack Terry.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2014, 06:08:30 am »
Terry, is she idling smooth now after blowing out all that carbon  ;D  How does she feel up above Mach 1 ?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:18:02 am by grcamna2 »

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:33 am »
The FJ does not lack in the accelleration department. There are only a couple of very high dollar cars that can even keep up with an FJ1200, much less pass it.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2014, 05:07:18 am »
Terry, is she idling smooth now after blowing out all that carbon  ;D  How does she feel up above Mach 1 ?  ;D

It's a wicked old thing mate, the only bike in my garage that accellerates harder is my Triumph Rocket III, but it's got another 1100cc's on the Yam. The Yam is actually faster though as the Tumpy has an electronic speed limiter (as well as a rev limiter) that limits it to 136 MPH.

Not a bad thing really, over here, if you get caught doing those speeds in any state apart from the Northern Territory, you go straight to jail. Kind of a buzzkill, really.......... ;D

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2014, 05:12:30 am »
No worries, Terry. You meet the nicest people in jail who riding a Honda too fast  :D
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:41 am »
Ha ha, I reckon there's probably a few in there mate, it'd be hard to own say, a New BMW S1000RR, and not try it out at least once? ;D

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2014, 05:12:51 am »
Ha! I think I've become too old and wise (read chicken into that) to run one of those to it's upper limits. As sorry an excuse as that is, at least it'll keep me out of the prison showers  ::)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis