Author Topic: Removing pinstripes with Easy Off oven cleaner  (Read 5939 times)

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
Removing pinstripes with Easy Off oven cleaner
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:11:34 am »
I bought a parts bike for $80 last week, and once I got all the dirt and bugs off the tank and side covers, they turned out to look in really great shape.  The tank is spotless inside- clean metal, and not a bit of rust. The only thing is that it had this horrible pin striping and custom script that said "Cadillac Pussy." What that means, I have no idea, but it had to go.

At first I tried acetone, but that had zero effect. Then I read about pin stripers using Easy Off oven cleaner, so I went to the grocery and bought a can.  I did an initial test leaving the oven cleaner on the tank for about 10-20 seconds, just to make sure it wouldn't affect the paint. 

Untitled by kennyredman, on Flickr

Then I left the cleaner on the tank for about a minute or two, just to make sure the paint would still be ok, and a little bit of the pin striping started to come off...

After I was sure that the paint wasn't going to be affected by the spray, I left it on for about 5-10 minutes.  This time, the pin striping wiped off easily and the base paint job looked great.  There is a tiny bit of ghosting, but I think that'll clean up once I give it a good wax and possibly another coat or two of clear.

So, I'd recommend using the oven cleaner to remove any pin striping or custom paint like this from a tank with factory paint or a two-part urethane paint.

Here's the whole set
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:04:14 am by KennyRedman »

Offline Ewan 500K1

• Hot Shot
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: Removing pinstripes with Easy Off oven cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:50 am »
as an ex sign manufacturer and vehicle graphics applicator ... we use to just apply some gentle heat witha hair dryer and then pull vinyl graphic off
jings, crivens, help ma boab

500 four K1 cafe racer build thread at :
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100883.0

Offline Elan

• Expert
    • Vital Motor Parts
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:05:20 am »
as an ex sign manufacturer and vehicle graphics applicator ... we use to just apply some gentle heat witha hair dryer and then pull vinyl graphic off

I dont think it was vinyl.

Nice job! Why didnt you want to keep the script? :) :) ;)
Oil Pump Kits are Available on eBay!See my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/Vital-Motor-Parts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

k6 build   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=79833.0

76 750k

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:32 am »

That would have been nice and a lot easier, but it was paint, and not vinyl.

Nice job! Why didnt you want to keep the script? :) :) ;)

Ha- my wife and all my friends wanted me to keep it. And check this out- the bike had a furry seat, too!