Author Topic: Top Gear - US vs UK  (Read 1807 times)

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
Top Gear - US vs UK
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:05:53 pm »
Just saw the American version today while home watching a "sick" child.  I must say the american version sucks compared to the british.  The guys aren't funny, look like morons, and they don't seem to have the chemistry like the brits do.  Even if the english guys aren't friends or hang out in real life they sure do seem like they are.  It also makes me want to ask why the american version is even being made.  Top gear is the most popular show in the WORLD, why the hell is there another version of the show, especially if it isn't even doing anything any differently?  >:(

sorry for the rant, carry on :P

Offline Cqyqte

• Hot Shot
Re: Top Gear - US vs UK
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 05:14:51 pm »
I agree with your rant and reply with a comment, gone is original thought!  It's has been missing for some time now if you need proof, research the number of movie remakes, shows with similar theme or storylines!!!!! :-[

Jay Ace

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »
There are other versions of the show out there - Australia, Russia, Korea ... more?
Not saying that they should be made but but just saying it's not the first time it was copied.
I guess they were just trying to bring something like that to the US and make it popular.

That being said, I don't watch the US version not will I. When I see previews for it, I cringe.

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »
Brit shows (humour?) sometimes seem to have trouble translating into American, guess that's why they think they have to make it their own.  PS some Brit shows make it here in CAN & some not, depends on your taste.
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »
Agree the uk version is way better.
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:58:43 pm »

At first, I enjoyed the American version, but now....BORING!! It seems that every week it's the same old show. Drive around in three old beaters while constantly trying to destroy them. No 'Stig' (seldom), no new car reviews (seldom), no celebrity car course challenge, boring, boring, boring. UK version all the way!  ;)
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »
There are other versions of the show out there - Australia, Russia, Korea ... more?
Not saying that they should be made but but just saying it's not the first time it was copied.
I guess they were just trying to bring something like that to the US and make it popular.

That being said, I don't watch the US version not will I. When I see previews for it, I cringe.

Don't feel special guys, the Aussie version sucks balls too.... ::)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »
the aussie version sucks both balls mick!i watched half an episode and just cringed.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »
the aussie version sucks both balls mick!i watched half an episode and just cringed.

The fact that it sucked both balls was the only thing that appealed to me Dave, if it cooked and mowed the lawns I would marry it.... :o 8) ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:47:11 am »
Well it might surprise you to know that not all us Brits like Top Gear. I for one have no interest in cars other than one that gets from A to B. Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond are over-rated tossers. James May is the only one I can put up with, at least he rides bikes.
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 01:56:02 am »
I watched the US top gear a few times and that was it and stick to watching the UK. It's just a perfect example of the brits coming up with a clever or entertaining show and then some US production company jumps in and screws it all up. As long as the US production companies keep their hands off Dr Who I'll be cool.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 05:42:56 am »
Jesus can you imagine a Dr Who made in the states, I think I'd just pull the covers over my head and leave. Sorry my southern brothers I think that would do it, never watch TV again.
Bill the demon.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 05:50:35 am »
You guys must be watching a different US Topgear..
Just last week the US TG crew took out  the US production HIGH dollar sports cars and challenged the UK counterparts. The toss in this race was the STIG drove the UK models so the US guys REALLY had to race to prove the US models were better.The only close race was Tanner due to the fact he races Rally cars and competes in DRIFT contest..
Yes it is a copy cat show and they have done the same challenges as the UK. If you don't like it ,change the channel and watch CAFE RACER!!!
At least the UK guys didn't take their SCOOTERS, YES SCOOTERS to Sturgis.
Now that there was some funny s##t.

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/episodes

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:55:51 am by Xnavylfr »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 06:39:26 am »
What is Top Gear??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:04:22 am »
There are other versions of Top Gear?! :P
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:54 am »

The fact that it sucked both balls was the only thing that appealed to me Dave, if it cooked and mowed the lawns I would marry it.... :o 8) ;D

Retro...you sound like Rob Ford. ::)  Maybe that was a Fordian slip you made. ;D :D ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:16:51 am »
What is Top Gear??

its a tv show about three guys doing donuts and burn outs in the worlds most expensive and powerfull cars mostly high end euros we dont even get to see in the real world let alone be able to buy one, then pick the faults in them like the radio buttons are too confusing or the shape of the parkbrake handle dosent suit the interiour?

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:56 am »
Agree the uk version is way better.

Same with the Office.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:36 am »
What is Top Gear??

its a tv show about three guys doing donuts and burn outs in the worlds most expensive and powerfull cars mostly high end euros we dont even get to see in the real world let alone be able to buy one, then pick the faults in them like the radio buttons are too confusing or the shape of the parkbrake handle dosent suit the interiour?

but the do quite often have to purchase cars on a shoe string budget and race them in some obscene manner.  Usually Jeremy always gets to go to the exotic locals at the bereft of hammond and james, which i find pretty amusing to hear their comments.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:17 am »

Retro...you sound like Rob Ford. ::)  Maybe that was a Fordian slip you made. ;D :D ;D

Sorry mate, i don't do crack.... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 12:33:52 pm »
The original is definitely better. But a downside of that show is that many of the cars they review aren't available in the US.

That said, the US version's review of 3 "American Supercars" is no more useful to the 99% of its viewers that will never afford any kind of supercar, American or otherwise, than the UK's version testing the Vauxhall Astra.

The US show also seems bound and determined to repeat all of the various "car vs something that isn't a car" competitions that the UK show has done.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »
I tried watching the US version once....once. FAIL
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 03:24:17 pm »

Sorry mate, i don't do crack.... :o

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »

^^^^^^^^^

I've tried but I can't help myself.....

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »
Zappa and arse. What do you do all day man?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional