Author Topic: 1975 CB750 K5 "Rhonda the Honda"  (Read 86265 times)

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
1975 CB750 K5 "Rhonda the Honda"
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:22:44 pm »
For those reading for the first time... Here's how Rhonda looks (as of 16 July 2018):

And here's how she sounds (without a muffler):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally getting around to my own thread...

Spent all yesterday in my father in law's garage... got a lot done thanks to his chain hoist!

• removed fork tubes
  • removed accordion boots and replaced with single dust boot
  • removed removed stock headlight ears and replaced with black ones, and mounted new smaller blinkers to hold the bucket. After removing, I noted a buttload of pitting at the top of the tubes. Not a priority now, but next winter will be a fork rebuild which will include progressive springs and new top tubes.
  • Installed a '72 Euro bar and reinstalled all hand controls
  • re-routed wiring to where it is supposed to be along the top of the three top-tubes
  • reinstalled fork tubes at stock height.
  • straightened kickstand for now-stock height bike.

AND OF COURSE I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES!

Now I just have a few more things left to do, including a 3K tuneup before riding. Bike will be coming to my garage next weekend, so things should go pretty quick.

Left to do...

• Re-wire the rat's nest
  • Paint headers, install exhaust
  • mount Lucas tail light
  • remove the rear lowering blocks
  • replace upper shock bushings
  • shorten chain and re-align wheel
  • fork clamp spacers
  • get shorter top brake line because of lower bars
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:46:17 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: 1975 CB750K "Rhonda the Honda"
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »
I made my own fork clamp spacers tonight. The thickness needed is 0.090". I was originally going to use some of the 100 stainless M8 washers I picked up the other day...

One is too small...

Two are WAY too big to bother filing down...

AH but what is this?!  Some random washers kicking around from when I took the headboard off our bed. I knew I kept those for a reason...

Filing (not really. I stopped to take the picture.)...

PERFECT!

Now I just needed to make sure the hole was big enough.

Little bit too small!

Grabbed my trusty 5/16" bit...

And HEY PRESTO! They fit!

Once I get the bike here I can figure out how much to remove around the edges to get it to fit. They are 0.75" in diameter, so I think I'll have to square off the edges a bit to make it look nice.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: 1975 CB750K "Rhonda the Honda"
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:08 pm »
For mock-ups, I have zip-tied my license plate to the Lucas light. Because of the light's hole spacing, I would have to drill through my registration sticker in order to make it work... I'm getting a new sticker in a week or so, and then I will drill the hole and put the NEW sticker over the bolt. Simple!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: 1975 CB750 K5 "Rhonda the Honda"
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 05:37:49 am »
Just ordered a new stainless upper line from Slingshot Cycles.

http://slingshot-cycles.com/products-page/brakehoses/single-stainless-steel-replacement-hose/

Use Coupon Code "SOCH4" at checkout for a discount!

And a new helmet and shield, too!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:41:15 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:57:54 am »
Bell?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:29:23 am »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:21:03 am »
This is my Trello workflow for the bike over the past winter... as I update it you can see what has been done and what is yet to be done!

https://trello.com/b/EUFhf24r
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 01:50:12 pm »
Rhonda came home today!

on my father in law's trailer...

snug safe at home. battery tender was hooked up shortly after.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 04:42:56 am »
Wired up my bucket and rear blinkers. Waiting on some reinforced rubber washers this afternoon as per Dream750's suggestion here... so I can adjust my headlight if I need to once it is all closed up.

Also found out that my battery might need replacing... Even after being on the tender for a day, it wiped the battery down just after testing the blinkers and headlight. I stuck the tender back on tonight and I think i'm going to leave it on until bike is ready to be ridden.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »
I think I have a short somewhere...

Pulled the side cover off and I had popped the main fuse. I think I had a wire crossed somewhere, and I think it is the Brown/White connection that would normally also power the speedo/tach lights when the headlight is on. I have two female Brown/White connections in my bucket, and only one male, coming from the Throttle side switches. I had switched it last night hoping to remedy my issue, but I had already blown the fuse, and guess what... no spares. Will get tomorrow.

Anything else that can blow the main fuse?

Also picked up some reinforced rubber washers today, so I can adjust the headlight angle once it is all closed up.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:30 am »
Thanks, folks, for the tip of using the alligator clipped light for a "fuse". Popped it on the fuse holder, and ran through my switches... turns out it was my blinkers.

Lesson of the day: ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WIRING. Especially when your blinkers come with no instructions and you go off your "intuition". It resulted in a popped fuse or three, a busted electronic flasher unit, and a burnt out bulb after my unsteady hands were testing the bulb's leads. Luckily I kept the original flasher to continue testing. Today will bring a new bulb and electronic flasher.

Once I had everything checked and wired properly, I was able to button up the headlight bucket, and everything works peachy! Also on there are reinforced rubber washers as mentioned, too. This is going to be a great setup. Now just to tidy up some of that excess wiring, a new brake hose from Slingshot, and front end should be good to go.

Another lesson of the day... Apparently my bike is a SERIOUS basket case. Switches are not K5 (Br/W is not on both switches) but the switches are all where they should be, and the main harness is not K5 either. There are TWO Br/W lines coming to the bucket from the main harness, among other things. Thankfully PO had labelled everything, and it all works just fine.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:05 am »
New top brake line and speed bleeder arrived yesterday from Slingshot. Dropped in no problem! Tied the brake lever back and after an hour or two it was nice and firm. Going to bleed some more fluid through tonight t make sure it got a really nice flush.

Tonight will also include tying up all that excess wiring, fitting the upper clamp spacers, and getting the Acewell speedo to a better, more usable angle.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:52:43 am »
Just ordered new brake light, flasher, and blinker lights from Super Bright LEDs.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:23:57 pm »
Lots accomplished today...

Painted the headers and extension... VHT Hi-Temp Header Paint, flat black.

my "paint booth"

Pre-paint

Primer

Final coat of black

In between coats I managed to get my Lucas tail light installed...

and also cut the flat spot into the upper clamp spacers. Measured, from the fork tube to the outer edge of the "doughnut hole", is 3/8" or 9.525mm. The washer I had sticks out a little bit, but no matter!

I also tidied up the front end wiring with some zip-ties, as I don't want to cut/recrimp a bunch of connections for shorter wires, especially where I already have a basket case and may get some model-correct switches at some point.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:17:05 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 02:21:11 pm »
Ahhhhhhh what a nice vacation day...

Raised the rear end... Removed the lowering blocks to get it back to stock height. Also removed two links from the chain to have it the appropriate 100-link length.

Before tightening up the chain tensioners/aligners

Then I put my exhaust on.

Cone Engineering Quiet Core 18". Stainless Steel. Mmmmm yes.

Just before the first kick over...

THEN I HAD LUNCH AND IT WAS AWESOME.
Home-made bun. Slab of ham from Easter dinner leftovers. Slice of pineapple. Liberal application of Hummus and Mustard.

Then I checked the points and static timing. Cam chain is a bugger, and valves were fine when I put her away for the winter. After all that was a vac-sync of the carbs, and I think I got that pretty close. I was getting super cold and my knuckles were bleeding all over the place, so I may re-visit it again on a warmer day. Now all that remains is an oil change...

Rhonda the Basket-Case Honda... after her slim-down and singing lessons over the winter.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:09:27 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:24 pm »
Nicely done, Evan.

The exhaust has a nice throaty tone without being loud.

Everytime I watch one of these start-up videos, I half expect that the person will do a fist pump or let out a celebratory WOOHOOO!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:58 pm »
Sounds real good, I like the Cone mufflers. Did you ride?

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 02:29:41 am »
No not yet... temp was dipping down and as I said, I was bleeding everywhere!

Also had to get inside to wrangle the baby so Wife could get out. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 09:36:33 am »
Got out for a ride today, rode back to work! All my new LED lights showed up from SuperBrightLEDs as well. Might pop those on later.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 05:20:39 pm »
Put the new blinker and tail light LEDs in today, along with a new flasher. Front right blinker running light won't come on... but it seems like it was always this way even with the incandescent. I will check again to see, but I may be looking for a short somewhere. Possibly in the switch?

Also, does anyone know the thread size of the adjustable throttle stop on the Right hand switch? Part No.7 here: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750-four-k5-usa_model483/partslist/F++01.html#results
 I want to put something in there.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 04:09:00 pm »
Checked the lights again today... all is good under the hood.

While puttering, I took off the primary drive cover and removed what looks like 39 years of oil and sludge that has been whipped off the chain and onto the engine. I had to get in there with my dental picks to get all of it out. I think I am going to close off my auto-oiler and use a proper chain lube.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »
Switched to 20W50 Castrol motorcycle oil from 10W40.
Adjusted clutch.

These two things seem to have solved my issue with a nasty Grind/clunk into 2nd gear. (See here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=137208)

Added two washers to the airbox bolts. I had a wacky gap all around the box allowing too much air in because they were bottoming out. This fix enrichened my mixture enough that I had to turn my air screws 1/4 turn out to get rid of the boggyness and threatening to die when blipping the throttle. (See here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=137209 Thanks iron_worker!)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:44:09 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 05:55:11 am »
Ordered plenty of parts, mostly spares and tools. I'm building up a tool kit to keep on the bike.

Going on the bike soon will be a new solid state reg/rect and the throttle holder thumbscrew for the Right switch. That will be nice for those cold mornings.

Cleaned up my caliper nicely. Dremel + Wire brush = clean groove! Seems to improve the brake's performance. Haven't ridden it yet since, but rolling back and forth seems to have the brake pad retracting better than it did before. I also took the dremel + wire brush to the male connectors on the hard brake pipe. They were showing surface rust and some fluid was leaking.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 06:37:14 am »
I'm curious about this "Dremel + wire brush" tool, could you please post a pic?

I just cleaned the caiper on my CB500 the other day and just used a small screwdriver and hooked pick, could not fit my wire brush in there.  Thx.